Johnny Depp Covers 'Vanity Fair' January 2011

Johnny Depp Covers 'Vanity Fair' January 2011

Johnny Depp hits the cover of the January 2011 issue of Vanity Fair.

Here is what the 47-year-old Tourist actor had to share with the mag:

On the media attention on his co-star Angelina Jolie: “Poor thing, dogged by paparazzi, her and her husband, Brad…all their kids. There are times when you see how ridiculous is this life, how ludicrous it is, you know, leaving your house every morning and being followed by paparazzi.”

Comparing Angelina to a legend: “I’ve had the honor and the pleasure and gift of having known Elizabeth Taylor for a number of years. You know, you sit down with her, she slings hash, she sits there and cusses like a sailor, and she’s hilarious. Angie’s got the same kind of thing, you know, the same approach.”

On the appeal of his character in The Tourist: “I was always fascinated by people who are considered completely normal, because I find them the weirdest of all.”

Credit: Annie Leibovitz; Photos: Vanity Fair
Posted to: Johnny Depp

Getty
  • Former NFL kicker Rob Bironas passed away at 36 - US Weekly
  • Amber Heard's nude photos hit the web - TMZ
  • Find out why Sarah Silverman is slamming the tabloids - Gossip Cop
  • Kendall Jenner rocked 3 totally different looks in Milan - Just Jared Jr
  • Sir Mix-A-Lot is happy Nicki Minaj used his famous song - Huffington Post
  • Ryan Gosling is madly in love with his family - Lainey Gossip
  • Rosie Huntington-Whiteley always looks amazing - Hollywood Tuna

Ang gets what she deserves

Comparing Ang to a legend @ 11/30/2010 at 8:25 pm

HAAAA! ….no comparison

@boo hoo:

You’re right!! Angie is the best and the world loves her :)

On Hairpieces, Toupees, and Weaves : So far, so good .When I start shedding I’ll give Brad a ring.

old and moldy @ 11/30/2010 at 8:29 pm

you stupid trolls I’m furst

I like the way he called Brad her husband. It shows you don’t need a ceremony and big fancy theatrics to live as husband and wife…or do you?
Is there something we don’t know Mr. Depp?

Next Day Air @ 11/30/2010 at 8:37 pm

So basically Angie and Elizabeth are both alike by being husband stealers? oh yah that’s right.

@Allie: Maybe Johnny asumed? He doesnt look like the type to wikipedia other celebs.

This is the only man i would be willing to share with other women – because every woman deserves a piece of johnny!!
He is so handsome and so genuine and kind and it is driving me insane!! I love this man and i’m not a fan girl usually lol, johnny brings this side out of me :( sigh…

On paying attention and giving a rat’s asz about the JP’s :
What? Brad is not married?…Whatever

I love angie but she is no liz taylor.

dang I can’t beleive he is 47. Still hot. 17 year old crush on 47 year old guy lol

Much respect and much love Mr. Depp Sir!

@Allie:
I love ppl call Angie Brad’s wife, Brad Angie’s husband.

i feel like angelina and johnny depp fans don’t overlap. i dont think this movie will do well for that reason.

Depp is the man. I don’t have issue with age..but I must say THIS is what you’re supposed to look like in your 40′s …he’s grown into his handsome looks.

But I’m noticing since he’s been doing the “Pirate” movies he loves wearing eye liner even out of character. Does he get this from Mr. Keith Richards?

just sayin' @ 11/30/2010 at 8:52 pm

johnny and his fans – cool
ang and her tramps – fools

@lily: you mean i have no choice but to share a man that i dont know who has no idea i exist? yeah..

LOL husband stealers

@beverly: yeah eh? johnny doesn’t stand for the type angelina is. fame-power obsessed albeit a good humanitarian. hes a bit more laid back.

MrMarleyFAN @ 11/30/2010 at 9:12 pm

It must be illegal for Dlisted posters to say anything even remotely positive about anybody or anything. Seriously. It’s a bit scary how deeply they dig within themselves for the most vile, debased, ugly pov to spew. I have a strong feeling that most are sunday school teachers and junior high school counselors.

Wow the jenhens are everywhere!!! They just can not stay away from anything Angelina. Obssessed much???? Angie owns their as..es.
What idiots they are. They are still back in 2005. Love JD and how open andhonest he is. He loves Angelina and so do I.

@Allie:

I’m sure Depp probably just uses that term since he has been with a woman, unmarried, for a long time, so he’s used to the idea of using the terms “husband and wife” when you legally aren’t.

Media Wh@re MANiston @ 11/30/2010 at 9:24 pm

# 2 Comparing Ang to a legend @ 11/30/2010 at 8:25 pm

Obviously, JD knows what he is saying because he has met Liz Taylor and got to know her. Have you?

@11: Well johnny knows both so I trust his word over yours. I love how angle haters hate anyone associated with her. Lol so very lame!

I love both of them, and Brad of course. They are so beautiful inside and out.

Oops i meant angie

I love both of them, and Brad of course. They are so beautiful inside and out.

why dos everyone have to associate this with jennifer? what the hell does she have to do with anything?

I love johnny. He’s talented, sexy, and down-to-earth. I have to say, though, that if there was a picture of any other celeb smoking, there would be a slew of hateful comments about it. (Not from me) I think people can be very hypocritical about these things, and that if they want to hate on someone, they’ll look for something, like a cig., and use it to make a nasty comment. Just sayin’.

@Oololoo: Angie haters? I am a fan of hers but she is not Liz Taylor. Im unbiased and yeah. they are totally different.

Lake Lover @ 11/30/2010 at 9:39 pm

What is normal, Johnny???

his assosciation with angelina totally f***** his image………………………..

@sera: Are you kidding me? What does any of this have to do with Jennifer Aniston??? And has it ever occurred to you that some of us, like me, think Jen, Ang, AND Brad are all cool?

@zzzz: nope it cant work that way to angelina fans. they think anyone who doesnt like her fringe or movie must be jennifers third cousin twice removed. they’re paranoid jennifer is out to get brad back.

koala – hits the nail on the head

But 333, I’m an Angelina fan, and I don’t make the assumptions you’re talking about, and I don’t look at her and think of Jennifer.

@zzzz: good for you then, you’re part of the minority :)

@11: yes angie haters hate on everyone and everything adsociated with the woman. Its qui te comical. and as I said johnny actually knows Elizabeth Taylor and angelina jolie so his opinion holds more weight than your opinion…in my eyes anyway.

@zzzz: I’m with u on that one. What odd comments.

This man is too too too TOO fine… vanessa got it in the bag and i’m jealoussss lol

Johnny now you get to see how these fool react because you like Angie and was not afraid to say it and say it loud and clear.

they are losing it.. just so mad and upset.. Why? because everyone that meet Angie has great things to say about her.. that the gush..

well suck it up and stop acting like children that didn’t get that present you fools were wishing for.

See Angie is all that her fans have claimed.. and everyone that knows her feel that way.

I guess you fools better start the slow walk to hel! now.. LOL..

LOVE YOU JOHNNY.. a man not afraid to tell the truth..

laverdadduele @ 11/30/2010 at 10:36 pm

Of course he’s going to speak wonders of that s.l.u.t., they’re both trash and can relate in so many levels. BTW, that tool Brad, IS NOT her husband, he was someone else’s husband until she came along.

Media Wh@re MANiston @ 11/30/2010 at 10:40 pm

karmaback @ 11/30/2010 at 10:29 pm

The trolls are losing their sh$t again. They just can’t stand when Angies co-worker said very nice things about her.

Boy, I can’t wait until The Tourist premiere. There will be a mass suicide. The haters will sure slit their wrists when they see Brad & Angie together. Johnny with his woman.

I think if Angie and Johnny were unattached and they happened to be date, their relationship would have gotten more media attention than she and Brad’s

Wow he is 47 he is getting up there in age…he is aging well tho

Looks like a good interview. I don’t think Jolie is like Liz Taylor at all. That’s more Catherine Zeta Jones. Angelina is like…well like no one. Maybe Sophia Loren if anyone….

HOT, HOT, HOT!!!! OH, THE THINGS I WOULD DO TO YOU, MR. DEPP!!

Ahh! these sh*t b*tches are angry that Johnny praises Angie because it contradicts on their lie few months ago saying that Johnny hates Angie. Always remember b*tches, truth will always comes out. And thank you Johnny for speaking the truth. I cannot wait for THE TOURIST.

@Layla:

ITA Sophia! Yes that’s the direction people should be going in. La Liz is is seen more in people like Joan Collins, Ava Garner, CZJ, Those types look more alike.

Johnny and Winona Ryder forevah!

I didn’t know Johnny was engaged to Kate Moss and Jennifer Grey…..wow….

Jokergurl @ 12/01/2010 at 1:02 am

Gorgeous, talented, funny man, and just so damn cool. I’ve always liked Johnny Depp ever since I first saw him on 21 Jump Street. :)

What a MAN…. those eyes alone can make ANY woman and or man just crumble into a mess…

47-year-old woah :d

Well, he’s silly looking. I think his days as hot are about to end. Cause I’m getting funny vibes and that’s not good.

Sex on a stick right there. Wait that sounds dirty. He’s just damn sexy that’s all. And super-insightful. Ange and Brad are, for all intents and purposes, MARRIED. Eat it Fugs.

@TXpert:

Yes, he idolizes Keith Richards since he’s a wannabe rocker. Plus, he drinks a lot of wine as he’s claimed so I think it covers his bloat better. You can see in the E Magazine cover- he looks really bloated. I personally think he should’ve cut his hair short for hte Tourist.

I love Johnny a lot for this. And btw brad is more than just a (inofficial) husband to angie. He is the father of her 6 children. brad has much more responsibility than a husband. They had to fight hard for their love and life and that bound them more and more.

Melissa, Christchurch, NZ @ 12/01/2010 at 3:43 am

So Angie is Naturally natural! Piss off low lifes :)_

Melissa, Christchurch, NZ @ 12/01/2010 at 3:48 am

@Media Wh@re MANiston: oh my god! What exactly is the problem here? we are all legends? Most of us don’t use our famous pouch lol :)

@11: Actually, Angie is even better than Liz Taylor–the range of roles she has played, her compassion for and generosity toward the less fortunate, her understanding of world issues, the absence of materialism and vanity, and her passion for her partner and children.

Sorry but when you start resembling a crack dealer you forfeit your right to be considered attractive.

Johnny is still hot, fascinating, he looks good here. He’s not absurdely beatiful as he was until years ago with his fantastic cheekbones (I see some roundeness about his face, He’s aging…) but he’s sexy, cool, hot!!!
I saw him in festival Venezia 2007 and He’s the most beautiful man I’ve ever seen!!!

I wanted say: as 3 or 4 years ago!

It’s only 9 days left and The Tourist is here! Can’t wait! That will be AWESOME!

He’s the man!

SHAME ON YOU DEEP @ 12/01/2010 at 8:47 am

Tourist is ” BE OR NOT TO BE” for Jolie
J.Deep is trying all tricks he knows to sale that crap
E.Tylor IS ONLY ONE!Not THAT pretender Jolie!

I’m tiring of his pirate look.

love Depp, always have. once heard him called “the greatest character actor stuck in a leading man’s body” and I agree. of course he liked Jolie, why wouldn’t he? she’s beautiful, dedicated, generous, kind, and strong enough to withstand the hatred for freeing Pitt from a loveless/childless marriage. he also understands the dark side of celebrity, the hunt, the going after the children, the loneliness required to keep some semblance of privacy. as for as the Taylor comparison, he knows them both so I’d take his word for it, and he’s talking about personality, not looks.

TRUTH HURTS. @ 12/01/2010 at 11:04 am

I am loving Johnny Depp’s interview with Vanity Fair. Johnny had nothing but great things to say about Angelina and Brad. I think I might have to buy it. The haters are so mad they trashing his thread. They can’t handle the truth. Another blockbuster for Angie. Can’t wait for the premiere Monday. Support The Tourist.

I cannot wait to see “The Tourist”. Mr. Depp is right up there as being my favorites, along side Brad and Angie.
Bless Patti Smith for a wonderful interview with Johnny unlike that fame-hoing editor for his shoddy work interviewing Angelina. His goal was clear…self-promotion of himself, then with with a condescending attitude to cover it up. Dear Mr. Editor…let Patti Smith interview more stars.

Oh Johnny, I chuckled at your comments about Disney and Eisner regarding your portrayal of Capt. Jack. Johnny Depp is a national treasure that we share with the world. Same for Angelina and Brad.

Johnny Depp directed Babybird’s “Unlovable” video. Awesome song, video to the story, “An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge” By Ambrose Bierce.

wow she has more comments/attention than JOHNNY DEPP!!!! Nicole Kidman and Kate Bosworth!!!! haha gotta love her haters.

@S_C_ “REASONABLE DOUBT” artwork is now posted http://tee2designs.blogspot.com/2010/11/jay-z-dead-presidents.html @RocNation 4 days of art

Iffy Miffy @ 12/01/2010 at 2:32 pm

This man should be made illegal. He is so sexy that it hurts … oh, oh … great comment on the JPs btw, it is ridiculous how the paps hound them, not to mention all the bs written about them.

British Latin American @ 12/01/2010 at 8:06 pm

Nice that he is generous to Angie.

I love you JD
I will go and see this movie only because of you.

JOHNNY DEPP IS SO GORGEOUS AND SEXY…HE IS AMAZING THAT PEOPLE MAGAZINE NAMED HIM ..THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE ALL TIME AND LOOKING THIS PHOTOS ..I MUST TO SAY ..I’M SO AGREED!! I love you johnny ,you are the best and I want to see this movie only for you ,you deserves all the success here because you are a real star !

to @75..angie is no more bigger than Johnny ,and everybody knows this site just jared loves angie and brad ,that’s why in every single post they (I know that she has real fans and fakes ,that change their names to say good things about her idol and write lot of posts like 400 every day!..is crazy)have to say something about her and brad…and sometimes their posts has nothing to do with it and they have to named her the same!! WHY”?’ WHO THINKS ABOUT ANGIE WHEN I CAN DELIGHT MY EYES WITH JOHNNY DEPP IN THIS COVER..Come on ..he is delicious!

British Latin American @ 12/02/2010 at 10:10 am