Winona Ryder: Black Swan Role Was a 'Cool Parallel'

Winona Ryder: Black Swan Role Was a 'Cool Parallel'

Winona Ryder clutches her necklace in this new shot from GQ magazine.

Here’s what the 39-year-old Black Swan actress had to share with the mag:

On her character of an ousted ballerina: “I thought it was a cool parallel. Being replaced by the young thing. I know that definitely happens in Hollywood. It’s harder to find good roles, and suddenly there’s new girls. I’m at that age I’ve been warned my whole life about.”

On Celebrity Rehab and drugs: “I mean, who would want to go through that, on TV? I think [painkillers are] more powerful than people think. People think, ‘Oh, heroin’s the hardest,’ but pills can be…I broke my arm in two places. For about a month, I had to take it. But then I just kept taking it for, like…maybe three more weeks. But the thing I do remember is that once my arm was okay and they were still there, you kind of like…”

For more from Winona, visit GQ.com!

Bigger pic inside…

winona ryder gq

A&E

She did one stupid thing and gets blacklisted but Charlie Sheen tries to kill 100 women and gets a raise. This can’t be life.

Aww, I love Winona Ryder. I thought she was really great in Black Swan too. So effective in a small role. I hope to see her in some great roles/films from here on out.

Reality Does Indeed Bite @ 12/16/2010 at 8:29 pm

Shut up, Winona….
and go away.

@koke: A funny way to put it. She is indeed a talent. I feel bad for her.

Seriously I loved her in some of her early work. She was great! I wish she and Johnny Depp married and had babies. I thought he was her true love. :)

purple poet @ 12/16/2010 at 8:45 pm

She is so not being honest about her problems. “three more weeks” Get real her and Courtney Love had the same doctor who wrote her all those drug scripts for years! She would show up to movie sets stoned out of her mind. She’s trying to play all innocent, make excuses for her shoplifting, when she is a notorious pill-popper and ***** .Her nickname around hollywood is “Wanna-ride-her” LOL!

“I’m at that age I’ve been warned my whole life about.”

its really unfortunate that talented women are told/find that their opportunities to explore and share their talent just evaporate after a certain age.

i hope winona doesn’t take the cruel aspects of the business too personally.

@#5
why would you wish that on johnny depp? he’s happy now and winona’s a wacko. i mean like over-the-top crazy. she used to be pretty when she was young but she’s always been self-centered and a complete psycho. no guy she dated could deal with her nonsense for very long.
and she’s just a mediocre actress who happens to think the world of herself. and this is me being nice. it’s always someone else’s fault with her, never her own, doesn’t even comprehend the concept of taking responsibilty of one’s actions and consequences. always playing up the “poor, misunderstood, never-given-a-chance winona”. she was given tons of lucky breaks and blew it herself!

@purple poet: people grow up and change! lots of stars have gotten plenty of chances! charlie sheen, robert downey jr to name two of the top of my hand. angelina jolie reinvented her image. i am happy for jolie and robert both gifted actors and she is talented and has grown as a person and i wish her the best too.

Angelina slept with 3 taken men and is now the most powerful woman in Hollywood. The industry is ridiculous.

I like Wynona. She has always been a terrific actress.

Lilakoi Moon @ 12/16/2010 at 9:54 pm

I sorta love her too. Her early movies were amazing. I love her bone structure, if she had had babies with Johnny Depp, those would have been the cutest kids ever. :D Now, seriously, she’s an undeniable talent. Too bad, they’re told that they’ll disappear once they’re over about 35-40. :/ She’s a terrific actress, indeed. That becomes rare in Hollywood nowadays!

Take a chill pill @ 12/16/2010 at 10:10 pm

She’s been in great movies but she’s not that great. She has the same weirdo vibe in all over movies but maybe she’s different in black swan. Haven’t seen it

Take a chill pill @ 12/16/2010 at 10:11 pm

Oops same vibe in All of her movies

# 11 tired @ 12/16/2010 at 9:11 pm

Did you see Angie slept with 3 married men? Stop reading craploids.

She stole clothes with all her money. Something in the milk ain’t clean folks. She can blame it on breaking her arm and needing pills but the majority of us can see right through her act.

I think shes an amazing actress, hopefully she sticks around to make more movies.

What, no mention of her personal experience with Mel Gibson, Jared?

@INC: with mel gibson?

she’s great

@Take a chill pill: She didn’t have a weirdo vibe in Mermaids, Edward Scissorhands, Age of Innocence and Girl, Interrupted. Were we watching the same actress?

@JK: She said that he was homophobic to her friend and that he made an anti-Semitic comment towards her.

Take a chill pill @ 12/17/2010 at 12:37 pm

@Hanne: Yes she did. It’s the same vibe.

she gets to make a “comeback” then she opens her freaking mouth and you wish she’d go away again, forever.

This is sooo déjà vu. When I read Ryder’s goofy “weird, weird” statement about Gibson, I immediately flashed back to her excuse for stealing from Saks Fifth Avenue: ” I was preparing for a film role.”

When she set off security alarm at a Hollywood CVS two years ago, they found makeup in her bag she didn’t pay for. Said she had no idea how it had happened. When the store clerks took back the unpaid items she left the sore. Some things never change.

I used to like Ryder but will never see another film she’s in again.

Winona Ryder is different and that’s what makes her so interesting. She sounds intelligent but not rehearsed—she never seems to be “performing” while interviewed and always comes across as thoughtful and candid. I like the contradictory otherworldy earthiness–a timelessness–she brings to her roles, this sense of earnesty and intensity, this coffee-chugging, clove/herbal-cig-puffing, midnight-scribbling, intellectual vibe.

Yes, she is a bit of an eccentric, but that’s probably a result of spending a decade of life as one of the most famous–and distinctively recognizable–faces in the world. If she nervously thought people were watching her every move in the 90′s, she was right. They were. Young kids weren’t old enough to remember it then, but Ryder was the face of the early-mid 90′s. There’s justifiable reasoning behind her odd public behavior and lingering social anxiety. It’s a weird life to manage on your own. It will mess with your mind and you can become detached, nervous, a hermit. She just needs to “get in the groove” again and fully emerge from fame hibernation.

It’s also all part of the charm of her generation, the “Gen X” artists; genuine nerds with unique and neurotically interesting hobbies and fixations. They didn’t come off the assembly line pre-punched and a dime-a-dozen. Most of the new, kiddie stars talk about their experiences growing-up and all you hear is “blah, blah, blah, suburbia, blah, blah, talent show”. Winona was raised by hippies on a commune and her godfather was LSD-Guru, Timothy Leahry. She starred in movies like “Heathers”, “The Crucible”, “Little Women”, “The Age of Innocence” and “Edward Scissorhands”—not light-weight pieces.

I’m bored with the contrivedly styled, spray-tanned, vaguely “Valley Girl” new recruits in Hollywood and their rehearsed “personalities”. What’s great about Ryder, is you never know when she’s going to say something odd or totally non PR friendly. She’s one of a kind. And I’m glad to see she’s busy. Hollywood needs a creative shake-up; they need characters with real personality, not nondescript puppets.

i think she is crap and looks bad aged