Anne Hathaway Cast as Catwoman in 'Dark Knight Rises'

Anne Hathaway Cast as Catwoman in 'Dark Knight Rises'

Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle (Catwoman) in The Dark Knight Rises and will star opposite Christian Bale and Tom Hardy!

The 28-year-old actress “will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story,” director Christopher Nolan said in a release.

“I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies,” Christopher continued. Tom will play Bane, a villainous escaped prisoner “who became abnormally strong after being pumped full of drugs”.

The Dark Knight Rises is scheduled for a July 20, 2012 release.

Credit: Kevork Djansezian/Jason Merritt/Neil Mockford; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Anne Hathaway, Christian Bale, Tom Hardy

Valerie Macon/Getty

Cristobal @ 01/19/2011 at 1:11 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I can’t picture it… she doesn’t have Michelle’s Pfeiffer’s sexy voice.

HEY JARED, PLEASE BRING BACK THE RED AND GREEN ARROWS, YOU TAKEN ALL THE FUN AWAY. FROM THE RED AND GREEN ARROW DISPLAY TEAM

oh god what an awful choice . i hope that movie bomb big time.

Iffy Miffy @ 01/19/2011 at 1:14 pm

Absolutely not! She doesn’t have an ounce of sexy in her, let us not even go to the dangerous part. What a miss!

HEY JARED, PLEASE BRING BACK THE RED AND GREEN ARROWS. YOU TAKEN ALL THE FUN AWAY. FROM THE RED AND GREEN ARROW DISPLAY TEAM

worst casting choice ever!! she’s not worthy!!
are they crazy?

I agree with lisa

Jeffrey Hutter @ 01/19/2011 at 1:21 pm

I’m not sure how I feel about this! I’m sure she’ll be fine but I would have liked to see someone else in the role. I was really hoping for Kiera Knightley

Jared bring the red and green arrows pleas pleas

Nothing against Anne but it would have been more interesting if they would have cast a completely newcomer. Anne is talented but to boring and incurious for this role.

I thought jared who is putting a green arrow and red

I was looking forward to this movie, but Anne Hathaway as Catwoman? Nope. I just can’t stand her.

mmmmmmmmmmh….. no.

I remember everyone bitching and complaining about Heath Ledger when he was first cast as the joker, so i wish everyone would stop. If Nolan wants her in his film, i’m confident she will do great. Just wait and see.

At least they didn’t cast Blake Lively

Marrion Cotillard as catwoman

Josephine @ 01/19/2011 at 1:39 pm

Nolan once said in interview that there will be no Catwoman in his Batman movies and I really wished for some new female character. Catwoman is a little overrated and it will be hard for Anne to be compared with Michelle Pfeiffer. But most of people didn’t believe in Heath Ledger at first and his Joker was brilliant so I’m not gonna say this choice is bad until I see the movie.

I really can’t imagine her as catwoman. Bad casting imo. =(

Ole Cartoon face playing sexy cat woman…mahuahahahahahahahahha……..

Cat woman has a sexiness which Anne hasnt got. But I love Anne so I guess I dont really care lol.
I was hoping that Chris Nolan would have cast Joseph Gordon Levitt too, I think hes really underated and he needs a main stream block buster to make people take notice. Hopefully Chris casts him in his future projects.

FAIL.

JUST…..FAIL.

No ounce of sex appeal, she tries too hard. Ugh.

Why does Hollywood resuse the same actress for everyone role? Just terrible.

I like Anne but i don’t know about this, I guess we’ll have to wait for the end result to see if this will be another “batman begins” or another “the dark knight”.

I would have ratter seen some other female villan, my favorite is Harley Quinn, it would have been great to maybe have her show up and seek vengance for the death of the joker or something.

I n F a m o u s l y C o o L @ 01/19/2011 at 1:58 pm

@luke: …well it wont. but guess what… you can be the only person on planet earth who doesn’t see it, how does that sound?!?
…nolan’s a genius, i rock with whatever he does.

I n F a m o u s l y C o o L @ 01/19/2011 at 2:00 pm

@luke: ……well it wont. but guess what… you can be the only person on planet earth who doesn’t see it, how does that sound?!?
…nolan’s a genius, i rock with whatever he does.

Ugh, I really wanted keira! lots of people say she’s not beautiful, but at least she knows how tobe sexy! And I agree, Marion will be a good option too :( Anne is sweet, but not sexy at all. But let’s see….I hope she does good, cause I can’t wait for this movie.

And Tom Hardy, big fat YES! Too bad Joseph Gordon Levitt is not in it

oh, no wonder angellina jolie shot anne hathaway an icy look at the globes. angie’s name has been long running as a contender for the cat woman role. Anne is a great actress & will surprise everyone w/ her characterization of cat woman…wait & see. Some one mentioned marion cottilard & i could definitely see her as the part, or he could have gone w/ helen mirren as sort of a twist to represent cat woman as older- lets not forget a cat has nine lives…

YAY!! She is so awesome. Loved her in Alice in Wonderland and in everything! Good choice!

Ugh, really? She has zero sex appeal.

imane, i agree! or eva green-someone sultry. anne hathaway has to be on part of the studio or something just like katie holmes in batman begins. oh brother.

Just ‘no’. She doesn’t have the physicality required for the role. I couldn’t imagine her stealing anything other than a pack of gum and getting away with it, much less becoming the Bat’s lifelong obsession. Was Lindsay Lohan unavailable?

Great choice specially because not an obvious one!

Damn I was hoping for Marion Cotillard as Catwoman.

what a stupid choice, i thought it would be kate winslet. sorry but this dark knight rise will not have sucess because of this choice. selina kyle is sexy and blond and have blue eyes. anne has nothing with this caracter, she is not sexy and all and her voice is terrible. i will not watch this movie if this is anne hathway sorry

NOLAN YOU MOTHER FACKER WTF HAVE YOU DONE, WHAT. THE. FACK????????????

fanofbatman @ 01/19/2011 at 3:00 pm

anne is not perfect for catwoman, i remember when they chose heath ledger for the joker, i was so happy because i knew that he looks like the joker with his smile, his voice and his hair but for anne hathway it’s not the same, she has nothing of a selina kyle. catwoman is very sexy, her eyes looks like a cat, she is very athletic, she is not tall, her voice is very sexy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

god i’d rather see katie holmes come back from the dead

i was really rooting for rachel mcadams

Who else was mortified when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker? I think Anne Hathaway has some underlying talent, and Christopher Nolan has shown he can harvest it.

I like the inclusion of Bane. The character was so completely bastardized by Schumacher that Nolan’s treatment of the character will be a win by default. Plus in the comics Bane has ties with Ra’s al Ghul.

Nolan’s iteration of Catwoman is difficult to predict. I don’t foresee something so campy as a lone woman suiting up and fighting crime with a whip and claws. I can imagine a covert assassin-type character, like Mandy from ’24′, or maybe a crazy US Marshal assigned to the Batman-hunting task force.

N0000 not another Movie remake. Something flawed here with the Facebook likes, I doubt seriously if over 600 people liked this on FB in just 2 hours, JJ.

michelle pfeiffer is the best.
and new catwoman could be charlize theron

Look, Heath Ledger being cast as The Joker got the same type of reaction as Anne is getting now. And Heath beat down that negativity, did an AMAZING job as the joker, and won an oscar for it.

Never doubt Christopher Nolan. He is THE boss.

I can’t really picture Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, but I can’t wait for the movie to come out. Batman rulez! :D

covert operations @ 01/19/2011 at 4:23 pm

Hathaway has a perfect face for Quinn not Catwoman. Either way she doesn’t fit the type of person to fight the dark twisted characters Nolan creates in his Batman movies. She probably got the job because she said she would take her top off to get in the role of being sexy and stuff haha. I really hope the movie turns out to be good! I’m a great fan of Batman.

I love her, she is so pretty

what noooo please not!!!! im a huge batman fan but anne h. cant be catwoman…..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg she cant play catwoman im so sure!!! odette yustman is a better choice!!!!!!! but really i cant see anne as catwoman i hope they change there mind!! please dont do this to your fans…damned…bad choice ever….

sooo sad! what a crap choice….she isnt classy…such a silly choice…omg i cant find words for this! just disappointed…

I’m not impressed with this news. I’ll give her the bennifit of the dobut and say: at least its not Halley Berry!!

Who cares, Bale is crap as Batman anyway. I only watched the last one because of Ledger. He’ll make this one crap, too, so I’ll pass. Nobody else in the cast makes me interested.

selinakyle @ 01/19/2011 at 5:30 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
SHE WILL RUIN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

selinakyle @ 01/19/2011 at 5:30 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
SHE WILL RUIN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

selinakyle @ 01/19/2011 at 5:30 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
SHE WILL RUIN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

selinakyle @ 01/19/2011 at 5:30 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
SHE WILL RUIN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gingerbread @ 01/19/2011 at 5:43 pm

@N000: I agree, weird, huh? I don’t know anybody that gives a booger about BM.

You people are all morons .. shut up everyone bitched about Heath being joker and his character turned out to be amazing Nolan knows what the hell he’s doing I’m sure he casted her for a good reason .. not shut up and quit bitching

Bad casting, Nolan! @ 01/19/2011 at 5:50 pm

Would you all just quit with “people hated it when Ledger was cast and look how great that turned out”. Just because Ledger was great doesnt mean Hathaway will be. Ledger had more talent in his picky that Hathway has in her whole body and he disappeared into his characters, she doesn’t.
Hathaway should stick with her shi TTy romcoms and leave Catwoman to someone sexy and talented. She’s no match for Pheiffer.
This will be Spidey 3 level crapfest, I can feel it. :(

Marion Cotillard or Angelina Jolie would be a SO MUCH BETTER choice … Just Saying , But they are anyway too hype actresses to do that ! :)

Im overrated @ 01/19/2011 at 6:01 pm

Wasnt Halle Berry a catwoman long time ago and the movie was a fail?? I hope they have improved the scripts…. Anne needs to improve her acting skills but maybe they can hide it with special effects. Obviously the poor Anne wont be able to replace Michelle Pfeiffer. But will she be better than Halle Berry?

@BeBop: Um, no. I’m going to add my two-cents. This one will suck. Not just because of Anne but she’ll contribute to the suck factor.

im not going to the cinema!!! i cant watch it i really cant….and i dont bitched on heath ledger!!! i a big marvel fan!!! but this is toooo much. she is not the catwoman type!!! oh my gosh this is just absurd….
suck factor 10/10!!! damned she cant be catwoman

Eva Green has the edginess, craziness and sex appeal for the role.

At least Anne has more sex appeal and acting chops than Kiera Knightley.

I was so hyped up to see this movie because of Catwoman but now I don’t need to see this I never liked this franchise in the first place because Batman bores me and Nolan can’t pick good actresses. First Katie, then Maggie and now Anne!? They are all boring miscasts! I bet they really wanted Natalie Portman but couldn’t get her after she got pregnant., so they sought out her boring clone. Anne is sweet and smart like the mousy secretary Selina of Batman Returns fame, but she has none of sexy dominance of the Catwoman Selina. Keira would have been so much better. Or someone of colour, like an Asian or Latina actress. Ah well I guess i wont be excited for this movie any more. Yawn.

I hope Anne pulls it off. She is rather tall to be fitted into a catwoman suit but hey, Tom Hardy’s in it but he will be too beefed up for me to think he’s sexy :( And Bale, oh! Bale! It’s so Baneful sometimes for Bale to just be Batman.

I hope the movie focuses on Selina Kyle before she becomes Catwoman. I just can’t really picture Anne being Catwoman (because no one can really compare to Michelle Pfeiffer’s portrayal), but I think she will be great if they focus on the Selina character before she becomes Catwoman.

WHAT????? Really¿? She’s a romantic-comedy star. She’s NOT catwoman! ugh…!

UGH!! why??? I’m assuming they have to have a ‘popular’ actress rather than a good one.

My enthusiasm for this movie just went way down

@e: Didn’t they both do well? They were both fantastic movies (with the exception of Katie Holmes being in the first! They should have cast Maggie Gyllenhaal from the beginning IMO). I know The Dark Knight obviously was hyped up more, but both great. This…I feel isn’t going to be. I don’t know why. I love Anne, but for some reason, I don’t want her in this movie.

I wish they featured another character instead of Catwoman–Michelle Pfeiffer owned this role! Maybe as one poster suggested Harley Quinn; Quinn has never been a main villain in film. Also, maybe even the Kabuki Twins (Yes, I know I am stretching).

I always thought that Heath Ledger was a versatile actor–I did not doubt he could be the Joker.

However, I feel a bit uncertain about Anne Hathaway being Catwoman. When has she ever shown the potential to be a femme fatale or an anti-hero? Every movie I have seen her in, she is not captivating or seductive. At times a bit too vanilla–kind of like Julia Roberts.

Yes, she does try to hard to be a serious actor. I hope she does not end up being like Halle Berry’s Catwoman.

I think I am alone in this matter, but in Nolan’s movies the actresses seem to be all replaceable or more like interchangeable. Only the men are not–as if he takes time and care to consider the best.

Nolan = overrated hack @ 01/19/2011 at 10:06 pm

Everyone is sucking Nolan’s **** but take away Heath Ledger from TDK and you’re left with a mediocre, full of plot holes, boring movie that was dragging when he wasn’t on the screen. He carried the whole thing. Bale’s growls were unbearable to sit through and Maggie Gyllenhall was horribly miscast and looked like she was beaten with the ugly stick. I hope this one flops so the stupid Nolan fanboys will stfu about him and stop acting like he’s god. He’s no Kubrik and never will be, this **** will finally make people see that and take him off the pedestal they put him on without being deserving.

@Ren: I agree about Heath. He was versatile and a far superior actor to Anne.
But since when is Anne trying hard to be a serious actor? Her resume is full of romantic comedies, high budget movies and she always takes her clothes off, plus she’s overexposed she’s practically everywhere.

Will Christian Bale be doing his “Clint Eastwood on a ventilator” voice again?

Jokergurl @ 01/20/2011 at 1:35 am

YES! Finally someone who will HOT chemistry with Christian Bale and who is a powerful actress!

@Lisa: Hi Lisa,

Well, I was supposed to elaborate how she took parts in dramatic films such as Brokeback Mountain and Love and Other Drugs where she takes her clothes off. She did other movies that were not just romantic comedies and big budgets: Rachel Getting Married, Passengers, and others I cannot name (I forget). The only high budget movie I remember her being in was Alice in Wonderland. I think she is trying to be versatile and possibly attempting to be a serious actor or taken as one. But her efforts, do not translate well with the audience. Since most people see her as always being in romantic comedies, films with large budgets, and forever nude in some of them.

PROTEST BATMAN @ 01/20/2011 at 5:58 am

Her acting role in Brokeback Mountain could have been played by anyone and Michelle Williams acting role was even more meaningless.
The female roles were necessary for the moral of the story but I can’t
understand the praise Anne and Michelle received from Brokeback
Mountain.

I do not believe there should be anymore Batman movies made.
That is very insensitive to Heath Ledger. Christian Bale should have declined on the offer to play Batman again.
Anne behaves as if she is all for the fans but in reality it’s all about herself. That is why she could care less about the fact that it’s
very insensitive and insulting to Heath Ledger for her to play that role
in Batman.

MangerBouger @ 01/20/2011 at 6:50 am

YES !!! one more year to go …

HeathyFTW @ 01/20/2011 at 8:53 am

nolan really likes BBM cast it seems

Catwoman? @ 01/20/2011 at 8:59 am

With her big, wide mouth, Anne should play PACWOMAN instead. It’s more realistic!

awesome! can’t wait to se!

Worst choice ever as Catwoman. What is Nolan thinking.

Anne H. rocks @ 01/20/2011 at 11:26 am

What is wrong with you people?
Anne improved so many times how wonderful (read: talented) actress she is.Let’s go Anne, I am with you.

Jaide Yong @ 01/20/2011 at 11:34 am

WHO does this woman SLEEP WITH to get these gigs??? SO wrong for Catwoman. GAH. And hosting the Oscars?!??! I can’t believe it. It’s Anne’s world and we’re just livin’ in it…

won't be seeing this @ 01/20/2011 at 1:11 pm

Anne looks like a horse, not like a cat. Fail.

Most of people didnt belive in Heath , and he was AH-AMAZING. I will leave my comment after.. I need watch the movie. GO ANNE!!! :))

I really hope that Anne does Catwoman justice but I would have liked to have seen Mila Kunis as Catwoman

@Tom:

Yeah because Christopher Nolan is renowned for his poor casting choices. Why don’t you wait until the film is out before you start deciding you know more than Christopher Nolan. Everyone’s a bloody expert eh? It’s the Heath Ledger crap all over again. Everyone was so sure what a ****** joker he’d make.

Anne Hathaway will be fine, she’s got a lot of range…and she’ll need it for Nolan. His previous female choices (miscues?) were both for a pretty shallow character, but with Nolan’s take on Catwoman, she’s going to be asked to do a lot. I’m just waiting to see if she’s going to be the villain or the love-interest that we were told to expect in TDKR. Catwoman could really go either way, especially in Nolan’s universe. I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Knightly as Talia al-Ghul? Harley Quinn? Vicky Vale? Should be interesting…

THIS ANNE HATHAWAY IS NOTHING BUT A PASTEY, CORNEY, CHEESY, DORKEY, ANNOYING, FLABBY-ANOREXIC (NOW BECAUSE SHE LOST A TON OF WEIGHT), UGLY, BUCK TOOTH, WHITE RABBIT. SHE CANNOT PULL OF NO DAMN CATWOMAN. I WILL NOT SEE THE MOVIE IF SHE IS GOING TO BE IN IT!!! WHAT THE F(*^*K HAVE MOVIES COME TO?? FIRST HALLE BERRY SENT CATWOMAN TO HELL AND NOW WE HAVE TO LOOK AT THIS STUPID ASS PRETEND TO BE CATWOMAN?

lizalisaandnicolechamp @ 01/20/2011 at 11:27 pm

please dig up eartha kitt from her grave to play this role!!!

o-m-g no, I love anne hathaway but god please don’t let her play catwoman, I seriously don’t believe she can pull that off! She is pretty but no way she is sexy like catwoman! And also, some ppl here saying it was said that heath ledger was believed to be bad casting too, I never believed that, never. But with anne hathaway I do. But I’ll give her the benefits of the doubt and hope she’ll do catwoman some justice.
btw; is there no joker in this movie? I srsly would love joseph gordon levitt to play the joker, he not only resemblances heath ledger in some way (10 things I hate about you, lol they could be brothers), he also could equal him in talent.
And another thing, please don’t let batman have the same screwed up voice again lol

I LOVE HEATH LEDGER @ 01/22/2011 at 5:35 am

YOU SHOULD BE HONORING HEATH LEDGER TODAY.

I AM DISGUSTED WITH THAT MASSEUSE FOR NOT CALLING 911 IMMEDIATELY.

MARY KATE OLSEN AND THE MASSEUSE SHOULD HAVE BEEN
CONVICTED.

IF YOU LOVED HEATH LEDGER THEN TRY HARDER TO HONOR HIM.

HE DESERVES THAT FROM HIS FANS.

My first choice for Catwoman would have definitely been Marion Cotillard and then Eva Green. Both women are so sexy and have great acting chops and manage to bring so much depth to their characters. I also could have seen Mila Kunis or Rachel McAdams in the role as they would have brought a lot of spunk. I love both Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley but both are too regal for the role IMO. I love Anne, and I do think she is sexy and if Nolan thinks she can do Catwoman then I am sure she can. She wouldn’t have been my first choice, but she can act. I just hope she doesn’t play it too sweetly. I think Nolan’s version of Catwoman will be a lot closer to the comics than Tim Burton’s, however, Michelle Pfeiffer was divine in that version of Catwoman.

I to was torn by Anne being cast as Selina Kyle. I do think she has the talent to do the role and if Nolan saw it then i will not argue. The hate for her being cast is little off. Does no one remember her role in Get Smart. She had a under lying sex appeal in that character and she kicked butt pretty well. Now I think she needs to amp it up and we’ll all be pleasantly surprised. Give the girl a chance Nolan hasn’t been wrong yet.

veronica bee bee @ 07/07/2011 at 1:34 pm

Catwoman? Puhleez.. It just seems so dorky and not like Nolan’s style to add a “Catwoman” character—for the same reasons Nolan himself said adding a “Robin” would be ridiculous and not the direction he wants his Batman films to take. IMHO, “Catwoman,” played by Anne Hathaway no less, seems indeed way to cartoony and silly. I’m a HUGE Nolan fan- I love all of his films- but this has me scratching my head…