Henry Cavill: Superman in Zack Snyder Reboot!

Henry Cavill: Superman in Zack Snyder Reboot!

Henry Cavill has nabbed the role of Superman in a Zack Snyder reboot of the superhero franchise!

The 27-year-old British actor will star in the tentatively titled film Man of Steel, due out in theaters in December of 2012.

“In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen,” Zack said in a statement (via Variety). “I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

So excited to see Henry suit up as Superman!!

• Kourtney Kardashian celebrates the 35th birthday in a bikini- US Weekly
  • Johnny Depp's Transcendence is expected to earn less than $13 million this weekend- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Cher Lloyd talks about her new music video for “Sirens”- Just Jared Jr
  • Michelle Obama will be visiting Nashville - Entertainment Weekly
  • How did Jennifer Garner look in 1999? - Huffington Post
  • Ryan Gosling is attending this year's Cannes Film Festival- Lainey Gossip
  • Constance Nunes shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

Yeah, he’s great….loved him in The Tudors!

Aww I really liked Brandon Routh. I wish this new guy the best of luck though.

Aww I really liked Brandon Routh. I wish this new guy the best of luck though.

He’s hot. I approve. ;)

Great!! I’m sure he’ll do a good job.
I hope they choose a good and strong Lois Lane, because the last one (Kate Bosworth) was weak and forgettable.

Arthur Marcus @ 01/30/2011 at 1:44 pm

This franchise is hungry for greatness! This is the time to rebuild the franchise. They better not include Lex Luthor or General Zod in any Superman movies for a while. They should utilise the villains that weren’t included in the previous films such as Bizarro, Brainiac, Doomsday, Metallo, Toyman, Darkseid, Atomic Skull, Bloodsport, Bruno Mannheim, Conduit, Cyborg Superman, Faora, Gog, Imperiex, Intergang, Jax-Ur, Kryptonite Man, Livewire, Mala, Mercy Graves, Mongul, Morgan Edge, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Parasite, Prankster, Sam Lane, Silver Banshee, Solaris, Superboy-Prime, Superman Revenge Squad, Terra-Man, Titano, Ultra-Humanite, Ultraman. This is a second chance to get it right. This is an opportunity.

Rebecca Honey @ 01/30/2011 at 1:44 pm

They will probably cast one of the below rising young actresses as Lois Lane:

Mischa Barton, Rachel Bilson, Sophia Bush, Miley Cyrus, Kat Dennings, Hilary Duff, Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Taylor Momsen, Ellen Page, Emma Roberts, Jessica Szohr, Evan Rachel Wood

He want to be superman thats great!

he is so perfect for this role and i am so excited for him to have landed such a big opp!

YAY!!!!!!! :) couldn’t have picked a better Superman!

lexy hates bilson @ 01/30/2011 at 2:05 pm

I love him! He’s a great actor. Let’s hope this becomes a decent franchise!

Anti-Septic @ 01/30/2011 at 2:10 pm

Wouldnt be my first choice as Superman but I guess they could have done much worse. Guess he’ll be eating a steady diet of power bars from now on cause he looks a bit weak in the muscle department for the role.

I am sure 15 pounds of muscle would do wonders for him so it isnt a stretch there.

I am so glad Henry got this role, hes been so unlucky with many roles and to see him get this is incredible. Hes a great actor and im glad hes finally received a platform to demonstrate it to the masses.

OMG!!! YES. YES. YES. That is what I am talking about baby. Finally. I adore Henry Cavill and have adored him for years and I am glad that he has a wonderful role to showcase his talents and his glorious backside. :)

he has lost super hero roles before! so Im happy he gets this one!
He’s hot! I hope the movie does great and that they choose a great louis lane

I was still hoping for Routh… Never mind Henry Cavill is great too!

I was still hoping for Routh… Never mind Henry Cavill is great too

Tom Welling was and always will be my first choice, now this movie is really gonna suk!! Cavill isn’t no Reeve nor Welling or even Cain

So now Batman, Spiderman, and Superman are all British.

i screamed when i found this out. i love him soo much. he deserves the best!!! he has a bright future ahead:)

The British are dominating the cinema world!! The British are coming *******

Awesome! (Since it can’t be Tom Welling for some crappy reason..)

The British are dominating the cinema world!! The British are coming *******

Superman roles are dead end roles

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Too talented to play in a untalented movie in becoming!
Reboot of a reboot last edition movie ????? WTF ? Routh is 3 years older than him ?

Tom Welling would be the best choice!

cavillfan @ 01/30/2011 at 4:10 pm

Have been a fan of Henry Cavill since Count of Monte Cristo. So excited to see him land a role which will hopefully give him the much deserved break he needs in this industry. He was amazing in The Tudors, which helped him tremendously. He is one of the most handsome, charming, and most gracious actors of our time today, and his time has come to shine!!!

Great! I’m starting a petition to get Jon Hamm to be the next 007.

perfect! he will be the best superman ever

Another non-American actor in an American movie.

Americans should take some pride. American culture is being overrun by British people.

@cf10:Uhm Nope. That will always be Christopher Reeve.

He should’ve got the role back in 2005! So YES! He totally deserves this!
He also deserved Batman, Cedric Diggory, and James Bond too.

Congrats Henry! you deserve it

GREAT NEWS! HE IS AWESOME. GOOD CHOICE

does it need a reboot, Superman Returns is still showing on cable!

mold and mildew @ 01/30/2011 at 5:26 pm

whoo hoo, @cavillfan: i agree, maybe this will give him some broader and well deserved exposure

well done dear henry,
loved him in the Tudors,
I think he will be an awesome superman

now if we can just get fassbender in there somewhere I will have died and gone to heaven

st-th-prz8 @ 01/30/2011 at 5:30 pm

Finally…Hollywood gets it right.

Cavill had been mentioned for the role a few years ago and they passed.

I wish him luck….LOVED HIM ON TUDORS!

SEXY! !!!! OMG IM TOUCHING MYSELF!

Brits rule ; ))

sunbears1 @ 01/30/2011 at 5:47 pm

@mold and mildew: Fassbender is playing Magneto in X-Men.

Works for me! Mila Kunis or Emma Stone would make a great Lois Lane.

I’m more excited than ever right now! Zack did a great job directing WATCHMEN.

Cool! Rachel McAdams or Leighton Meester for Lois Lane.

@Alias: Tom Welling Is The Best Superman !!!! Tom And Erica Should Do Superman Since They ARE the Best Lois Lane And Clark Kent Couple :D

and i was hoping for DJ Qualls.

@Heathen: LOL… good one!! Congrats Henry!! <3

FINALLY a Superman movie I’ll actually enjoy watching (as long as Kate Boswhore isn’t Lois Lane again) Congrats Henry Cavill, can’t wait to see you as the Man of Steel!

Its a PERFECT casting for Superman – Goodluck Henry!

hope they don’t cast kate bosworth as lois lane again, i didn’t watch the last superman because of her, she’s not good enough to be lois lane, too skinny too ugly too bad in acting. And i really hope they didn’t cast rachel bilson or blake lively, cause in my opinion they’re not actress, they’re celebrities and fashionista.

This is much a better news than last week’s reporting that KStew might be Snowhite huh!

finally he got something!!! Congrats to Henry! I love him! And may he be the next 007 too!

Its about time… HC is so talented not too metioned very good looking. I bet sure that he’s going to be the most handsome in the latest bunch of HW superheroes… compared to that (cough …(3x)) latest Spiderman…

Very well deserved! I am looking forward to seeing the lovely Henry on the big screen.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, HE IS GOOD BUT…IS NOT SUPERMAN. OH HELL.

Oh my Goodness, I Love Him, As a Brit I am so Chuffed, , First Christian Bale as Superman, then Andrew Garfield as Spiderman and Now Henry Cavill as Superman. I am so Happy.

I Love Henry, he is so WOW, Can’t believe it.
I really Liked Brandon Routh as Superman/Clark Kent, he was kinda perfect. and now Henry Cavill, he is just as Perfect in his own way as Superman, I hope Lois Lane will be someone Awesome too, cause Kate Bosworth was the Worst to be Cast as Lois, got to admit it, but her casting was the Worst and I did not like it one bit.
My perfect Lois Lane is Smallville’s Erica Durance, but she’s Tom Welling’s Superman’s Lois. So For Henry Cavill’s Superman I have alot of Suggestions, Let me see…
Alexis Bledel (Maybe),
Megan Fox (Not so Sure),
Keira Knightley (Perfect),
Katie McGarth (Maybe)
Anne Hathaway (Maybe),
Sophia Bush (Definately on the Short List),
Rachel McAdams (Perfect aswell).
Okay, In my Opinion either Rachel McAdams or Keira Knightley would be Perfect alongside Henry Cavill, without a Doubt.

I wonder what others think?

superman fan @ 01/30/2011 at 10:32 pm

I love superman, can’t wait to see this remake!!!!!!!

@bre: Sorry, Brits Only for James Bond, its not the Brits Fault the Amercian’s cast British actors, personally I was against and still am at Robert Pattinson being cast as Edward, it should have been a Good Looking American actor. But James Bond should always be cast as a British actor and kinda not really sure about Andrew Garfield as Spiderman, but asa Brit I am Happy for them.
And with everyone hating on Henry Cavill, BACK OFF, its not his Fault he’s so Gorgeous.

I’m an old school Superman fan, and I am *really happy with this choice. I love Henry Cavill and i think he’ll do a GREAT job.
Having said that I also loved Brandon Routh he very much had the Superman look. I wish they had made a few more movies with him as Superman ….oh well..

Good luck to Henry:-) ! Very Excited.

TOM WELLING IS THE SUPERMAN OF THIS GENERATION!

@CurlySue: Sorry Sue but you can’t be a hypocrite about the situation. If Brits can be considered for iconic American characters then Americans can be considered for iconic British characters. And for the record James Bond has already been played by an Aussie and and Irishman.

The reAl LoVE @ 01/30/2011 at 11:42 pm

Ahhhhhhh Henry!!!!
He is AWESOME!!! I’m sure the new Superman is completely new, cool, breathtaking!!! My 10000% Best wish for Henry!!

There is no problem with who will be playing the role as superman but what matters is the movie itself. It will be useless if the movie will have the same plot over and over again with nothing new. I just hope the people behind this movie will put at least some kind of a twist to it.

YES for Alexis Bledel as Lois Lane!

@BritGirl:

Wikipedia states that earlier depictions of Lois Lane in the 30s were in a lighter and frivolous tone. In the 70s version, she was tough and the “intellectual equal” to Superman. I know the reboot is going to have a completely modernized version of Lois Lane, so we’ll have to wait and see.

I like your choices for Lois Lane especially Anne Hathaway and Keira Knightley, but since Keira Knightley had blockbuster success with the Pirates of the Caribbean series and since Anne is already playing the Cat Woman in the third Batman film, I am going to throw my contenders for Lois- Olivia Wilde and Mila Kunis. And maybe Emmy Rossum. Because like Henry, I’d love to see her on the big screen a bit. She was in Dragonball Z that turned out to be a flop, and now she’s on Showtime with Shameless, playing this strong, smart, maternal-like older sister.

I love Olivia Wilde for the Lois Lane character. I love how she downplays her looks on screen, and in real life she’s so well-spoken and politically involved. But she’s already done the whole blockbuster movie with Tron Legacy . My other pick is for Mila Kunis. She’s evolved from annoyingly outspoken and self-centered Jackie on That 70s Show to rebellious, tough girl in roles in the films, Max Payne and Black Swan. Those characters are two extremes, I know, but she’s done it so well. I’d love to see her play leading lady to Henry’s character.

The thing is, these actresses are well above Henry Cavill’s star power and we won’t know if unknown or fairly known actresses will be considered for Lois.

Meh, not inpressed.

Looks like the Britians are the backbone to American born Comic Books. American’s not even worthy to be cast as comic book superheroes anymore. What a shame.

I thought it was Matt Bomer when I saw the photo on the top news… I was like “YEAH!” But then I saw it was Henry Cavill… Hmm. I liked him when he used to be clean cut and all… How tall is he, anyway?

Queen lisebeth @ 01/31/2011 at 7:10 am

Matt Bomer is too GAY and too weak in acting. Well, a gay Superman could be the new American role model.

Henry Cavill is 6 ft 1 in.
Matt Bomer is 5 ft 9 in.

Can you imagine a Superman under 6 foot? no…

bertiebot @ 01/31/2011 at 8:22 am

Leighton or RAchel bilson would be a good lois lane,.

@Queen lisebeth: I just thought it was Matt Bomer because they look alike… I didn’t say he was THE perfect superman. What’s superman’s real height, anyway?

Interesting thAt they would give this role to a gay actor. But cool.

Needs some body building @ 01/31/2011 at 11:29 am

He’ll need to pack on some serious muscle. I like his face though and he has the maturity to do the part justice. Brandon Routh would have been O.K. in my book too. He’s tall — and big — and he looks a lot like Christopher Reeve.

Dear Lord….. Tom Welling fans are a joke. Welling cannot act for toffee.He’s a brick wall. End of .

Nicole Turner @ 01/31/2011 at 1:42 pm

i’ve loved henry since 2002 in count of monte cristo – im so proud of him!

I’m so glad he finally got the role, I’m sure he’ll be brilliant!

BoringLittleTit @ 01/31/2011 at 3:41 pm

Brilliant. Well done, Henry.

Tom Welling: Big no. There was absolutely no chance of him getting the role because he is the TV superman. The only chance he would have of appearing on the Silver screen as the man of steel is by a Smallville movie.

NICKIMINAJ “Moment 4 Life” design posted Here: http://bit.ly/g7GZNc

i think rachel mcadams is quite good tobe lois lane

Henry Cavill, the gentleman of steel! He can rescue me at any time! Now I’m going to the cinema to see Superman!

Not a very buff looking superman. Reeve and Routh or OK, but they should have went all the way and picked a totally buff guy this time who actually looked like Superman. I guess if you are from Krypton the size of your muscles and body don’t matter that much, but the comics have turned Superman into a wrestler-looking guy in recent years, which would have been better. They should have given Routh a second shot with a more powerful script. I think he did a great job with what he had to work with. Anyway, we shall see.

I meant to say Were OK, not or OK. OK? :-)

booooooooooooooooo Worst casting ever!!!!! This guys superman? What a joke! He’s to short, skinny, and British!