'The Roommate' Tops Box Office

'The Roommate' Tops Box Office

Leighton Meester and Minka Kelly‘s The Roommate took the top spot at this weekend’s box office, bringing in $15.6 million in ticket sales.

Second place went to the James Cameron produced Sanctum 3D, with $9.2 million, followed by No Strings Attached with $8.4 million.

Just missing the third place spot was The King’s Speech, with $8.3 million, followed by Green Hornet 3D with $6.1 million.

WHAT DID YOU SEE at the movies this weekend?

Credit: Valerie Macon; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Box Office

• Johnny Galecki and Kelli Garner have decided to split- US Weekly
  • Check out a new poster for Jane the Virgin- Just Jared Jr
  • Read some of Helen Mirren's most inspirational quotes- Huffington Post
  • How much is Katie Holmes' new home in Calabasas?- Lainey Gossip
  • Kristin Cavallari shows off her body in a very tight dress- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All
Jack Reigert @ 02/06/2011 at 4:10 pm

Leighton Meester is incredibly gorgeous. American perfection doesn’t get much purer than her. She has now begun her ascension to the A-list with The Roommate being No. 1. It would be good if she gets a role in the new Superman, Avengers or Star Trek movies.

Love Minka, love Leighton but the film doesn’t look that good at all and the storyline isn’t all that interesting so why it topped the box office is beeeeeyond me. I don’t mind seeing pretty people on the big screen but I think I’ll leave this for one of those rainy days when Im bored and watch it online.

I’m glad it did decent at the box office. She played crazy well lol. As much as I <3 her this is not the movie that will put her on the map. I’m hoping The Oranges does.

When I watched the trailer I thought I looked pretty amateur. Somehow Im happy it did ok, because I love leighton :) I hope she gets a movie that turns her into a A-lister

Kwanten Power @ 02/06/2011 at 4:16 pm

You have no star power Leighton Meester.You are a wretched creature.The ugly ducking that will never be a swan……N E V E R !!!!

i guess natalie portman was too busy with her oscar campaign and pregnancy to promote the other woman. shame she could have had 3 movies in the top 10

Awesome! I wouldn’t be watching gg if it weren’t for her.

Leighton was amazing in it. Get it, gurl!

Stacey Connelly @ 02/06/2011 at 4:22 pm

When The Green Lantern is released, the public will be bewildered between it, The Green Hornet and the Green Arrow from Smallville.

some people are jealousing Leighton because she is beautiful and talented but seriously ENOUGH!

I watched The Roommate last night and it so much fun! The film is campy and Leighton was amazing. She was so convincing as a psycho and I was really impressed with her acting.

The film looks pretty bad, but I think Leighton will inevitably get good roles. Hopefully.

Chuck Bass @ 02/06/2011 at 4:34 pm

@Kwanten Power:
Shut up Kwanten you bobbleheaded freak. What a dumba$$!!!!

Can I *** u two-doggy style

I’m super happy for Leighton! It’s so nice to see that her movie is doing well. She’s so sweet and waaaaaay much prettier than Blake. I can’t wait to see more of her :)

go leighton and minka! people can say: superbowl weekend and zero competition from other opening movies helped the roommate get number 1. no matter what the explanation, the fact remains that this movie opened at number 1. another fact: leighton and minka carried this movie; just 2 people. leighton wasn’t in a cast of 3-4 well known actors, or starring with a big named actor/actress opposite her. she can claim this book office success as her own, as can minka. amazing for their budding careers. talent tends to triumph over hype occasionally. hopefully now i’ll stop reading that ridiculous nonesense that a certain GGer is an Alist star. none of them are, but some are closer than others.

Kwanten Power @ 02/06/2011 at 4:38 pm

@.:
Oi !!! You want to do the gruesome twosome doggy style??? I think I’m going to vomit!!!

Serena Champness @ 02/06/2011 at 4:41 pm

It will be intriguing to see what happens next week at the box office. Just Go With It has an interesting cast including the incredibly gorgeous Brooklyn Decker and voluptuous Heidi Montag.
Gnomeo & Juliet has an all-star cast and features the stunningly beautiful Emily Blunt.
Justin Bieber: Never Say Never which I hope bombs and should have gone straight to the shelves at Blockbuster next to the other straight to DVD releases from the likes of Michael Madsen, Ron Perlman, Eric Roberts, Christian Slater, Ving Rhames, Steven Seagal, Jean Claude Van Damme, Cuba Gooding Jr, Wesley Snipes, Armand Assante, Michael Biehn, Cary Elwes, etc.
There is also The Eagle.
Cedar Rapids and In Her Skin have interesting casts as well and are only getting limited releases. We won’t find out how they would have done commercially if released nationwide.

leighton’s prettier than the older one.

The Bilson movie made like $10,000 for the weekend from the three theaters it was released in. JJ mentions everything else about her boring life but doesn’t mention her when she actually opens an awful movie that nobody went to see.

They look like sisters!