Christina Aguilera Responds to National Anthem Fumble

Christina Aguilera Responds to National Anthem Fumble

Christina Aguilera has responded to the discussion over her fumble of the lyrics to the National Anthem during her performance at the Super Bowl on Sunday (February 6).

WATCH: Christina Aguilera perform the National Anthem at Super Bowl XLV

” I got so caught up in the moment of the song that I lost my place,” Christina shared in a statement to JustJared.com. “I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through.”

Instead of singing the line “o’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming,” Christina sang “what so proudly we watched at the twilight’s last gleaming.”

WHAT DID YOU THINK of Christina’s National Anthem performance?

Ethan Miller/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Show All

Yes I felt it Christina!! It’s ok. Still love you :D

shrug. haters to the left. still flawless. still love her.

Someone’s has been eating one too many pies lately

ck_always @ 02/07/2011 at 1:11 am

Let’s face it, nobody cares about the National Anthem on these stages anyways. Hell, the only reason people stand up is because they don’t want to be ‘the’ guy that sits down.

I had to go to Youtube and watch Whitney Houston’s 1991 Super Bowl Anthem to get the tin can taste out of my mouth that was Aguilera’s version. Someone got lazy and didn’t do their home work.

Someone on CNN commented, “You don’t want your Anthem to sound like a booty call.” That’s pretty accurate.

Yeah she made a slight mistake with the lyrics. It’s not that tragic. Ppl are over-reacting as usual. And Christina’s human after all and that mistake was unintentional cos she never messed up those lyrics before. She was obviously nervous.

I thought she looked great too and the louboutins were amazing.

@April 6:

Whitney’s version was the best but it was a studio version and she lipped to it. Christina chose to sing this LIVE and acapella too. It must be nerve wrecking lol.

Cristiano @ 02/07/2011 at 1:21 am

She was AWESOME. Her voice and emotion it was beautiful.

And I remember she was singing in NBA and she surely knows to sing the National Anthem!

Johnny Utah @ 02/07/2011 at 1:25 am

I’m just glad Snooki ditched the orange tanner before performing the National Anthem.

laverdadduele @ 02/07/2011 at 1:27 am

““I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country”…yeah right, way to demonstrate it tonight, Sl*tina, ******** up and embarrassing us all. Whose brilliant idea was to ask this piece of trash to sign our National Anthem anyway?

This was awful, not because of the lyrics mistake. She got up there and sang it like a shrieking wanna-be gospel singer. It was atrocious. You can’t just change the main melody of a song (especially one as important as the Star-Spangled Banner). It’s not an ad-lib session. The music doesn’t say “rubato” at the top. It’s a national anthem. Sing it the right way.

Sure, some musical considerations are given; but she was way out of line with this rendition. Awful. The lyrics mistake just exacerbates the situation.

Christina is just AMAZING!
It´s not the end of the world!!!! We love you Christina no matter what…!!!

Problem with her has always been this: she has a strong voice so she thinks hitting high notes is all you need. She needs to listen to Whitney, Aretha, and maybe even Billie Holiday to understand what true singing is: it has nothing to do with high notes but with something deeper. Floptina does not have that deeper thing so she always sounds forced. It was a terrible rendition. Period.

Rattlesnake @ 02/07/2011 at 1:37 am

this whole super bowl was lame it will go down in history as full of slip-ups, oversights and bungles …. and lame half time performance ….. glad its all over …oh and the classic bungle was the fly over the stadium with the roof closed .. wow how stupid was that ?

Allison Doyle @ 02/07/2011 at 1:37 am

That wasn’t the only mess up. She also exchanged “flag” for “plane,” and flip flopped more lyrics in the beginning.

3 mess ups? Come on now.

Allison Doyle @ 02/07/2011 at 1:37 am

3 mess ups? Come on now.

This was fine, the black eyed peas were so annoying, I guess the NFL was trying to save money this year! Whack

hoopwithcoop @ 02/07/2011 at 1:38 am

Jim Cornelison should sing all the National Anthems at these type of events… he knows the words and we can all sing along.
Keep it simple!!!

“true spirit of its anthem still came through”?? How about trying to get the true melody of the anthem come through (the lyric thing notwithstanding), instead of adding hundreds of random unrelated notes??

I don’t really care for her, even though I think she has an amazingly powerful voice. But still, if you’re an actor, you memorize your lines. If you’re singing the national anthem in a forum such as the damn Super Bowl…you should COMMIT THOSE LYRICS TO MEMORY!!! That was just wrong.

And she got paid for that? It isn’t like she was asked to sing the national anthem of Finland, in Finnish! It’s the national anthem of the country she lives in and has lived in all her life, if not all. Sorry Christina, I feel the love, but I don’t think that is justification for gross incompetency.

Sorry…
But the National Anthem is not something you get a free pass on. All the BS on this board about “know one really cares” and “oh…she tried”..is insulting to a lot of people, but especially to those who defend our country. I may be a proud liberal, but I still find ******** up the National Anthem inexcusable. If you are going to sing the National Anthem you MUST know the words. Period.

If she wasn’t destroying the song with that rediculous rendition to begin with, I might forgive the lyric mess up. This was just plain insulting to our country. The song has notes. Try singing them next time!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Show All