Gemma Ward: Heath Ledger Was One of a Kind

Gemma Ward: Heath Ledger Was One of a Kind

Gemma Ward graces the cover of the Daily Telegraph‘s Sunday magazine.

Here’s what the 23-year-old Aussie model and actress had to share:

On meeting Heath Ledger in New York in 2007: “We were both struggling with things that I won’t get into and we bonded over that. At first I said, ‘Listen, my mum’s living with me right now and I’m going through a hard time. I’m not interested in having a serious relationship,’ and he said, ‘Let’s just be there for each other through these hard times.’ And we developed a relationship and started seeing each other.”

On her memories about Heath: “He was an incredible person, unlike anybody I’ve ever met – and will meet ever again. He was one of a kind and extremely sensitive, extremely open, extremely honest, extremely generous, extremely energetic. He had time for everybody, no matter who you were. He was such an amazing talent.”

On her character in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: “Tamara is the typical siren. And what I found interesting about the mermaids in this movie is that the producers stayed true to mermaid mythology. The original story of The Little Mermaid was very gruesome – a lot of these old fairytales are.”

On her career: “I wasn’t a child [when I started out]; I was a teenager. I wasn’t all that innocent, either. I wasn’t taken advantage of – I knew what I was doing. I feel very powerful in myself now. I’m happy with where I am and I’m excited for my life and excited to embrace all aspects of it. I’m definitely not [regretful]. I look back on everything I’ve done with pride.”

gemma ward sunday telegraph 01
gemma ward sunday telegraph 02
gemma ward sunday telegraph 03
gemma ward sunday telegraph 04

Photos: Peter Ash Lee
Posted to: Gemma Ward, Magazine

Valerie Macon/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All
Dance In The Dark @ 02/08/2011 at 4:53 pm

Why is she even bringing him up? Does she think there is no other way to get publicity than to talk about Heath? She should have the respect and grace to just keep it to herself. Stop opening old wounds.

lalalalalalalalalal @ 02/08/2011 at 4:56 pm

alien like amanda seyfried

who the hell is she? and why is she using heath for publicity? shame on her

Anne-Laure Bernard @ 02/08/2011 at 5:02 pm

She had a great fashion career, but please… shut up.

she's back! @ 02/08/2011 at 5:03 pm

gemma ward is back to fashion! AT LAST! fashion world is ecstatic over her return

She opened up the doors for all the models with the doe eyes. She is such a good model I don’t know why she quit. She was never able to come back, all the designers turned their back on her.

i remember when amanda seyfried started out on veronica mars and mean girls how i kept thinking she looked like gemma ward. amanda’s face has matured differently than gemma’s though, but still very similar characteristics. dakota fanning, amanda seyfried, and gemma ward need to play sisters.

@cf10: she isn’t using him.. the interviewer pestered her about heath

She was an absolutely beautiful model and if she speaks now about Heath Ledger is because she left the fashion world after his death in 2008. Now she is back and I am really glad of this.

She shouldn’t have answered those questions so openly, especially since Michelle Williams will inevitably here about this “relationship” that Gemma had with Heath. Just respect him, and leave it at that.

laverdadduele @ 02/08/2011 at 5:15 pm

Their “relationship” sounds more like a booty-call than anything else. Why is she even talking about him?

flawless Gemma @ 02/08/2011 at 5:18 pm

She’s so beautiful and lovely. Great to see her back!!! I wish there were pictures of her and Heath, I’m sure they made a gorgeous couple.

I miss Gemma so much! I guess she was one of the people who most suffered with his death. She suddenly vanished from fashion seasons, campaigns and editorials after he died. Their relationship only became public after his death, only because people were crazy to know what was going on in his private life and everybody started to speculate what he was doing and who he was dating. Last time I saw Gemma was during her vacations somewhere I don’t remember….. And she was kinda fat.

@Reba: Ha! Michelle Williams was well aware of Heath’s new relationship with Gemma Ward. Her jealousy is the reason she didn’t let Heath see Matilda two months before he died. Heath dumped her and started dating someone younger, more beautiful and nicer than dowdy, sourpuss Michelle.

CanadaGirl @ 02/08/2011 at 5:27 pm

Glad she’s doing well, but why is Heath’s name being pimped out?

KELLY NO HA! HEATH WAS A DRUG ADDICT SNORTED COCAINE

to the idiots out there who have no idea who she is: She was a SUPER MODEL & the girlfriend od Heath Hedger when he died; after Heath’s death she was so devistated that she quit her ENORMOUS modeling career. And btw, I remember not too long ago, when everybody was cool about Michelle Williams speaking about Heath, cause she didn’t do it to boost her Oscar campaign, nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Why is she even talking about Heath??..I think it’s pretty obvious why she’s talking about him now, there’s a “movie” to promote.

Heath has left behind a child and whether or not there was jealousy’s or bad blood between people, she should respect that.

It doesnt sound like what they had was anything other than a fleeting friendship with benefits so why cash in on that now unless she has ulterior motives..eg publicity.

Will you idiots stop trashing Gemma. Shes not using Heath Ledger’s death. She mourned for three years.
They asked about Heath because everyone wants to know. She was his girlfriend, why shouldnt she answer. Its her right and she was being respectful. You can tell she was in love with him.
Jealous losers should stfu

@jean:

She was so ENORMOUS as you put it that I have never even heard of her and that’s coming from someone who actually works in the fashion world.

Michelle has every right to speak about Heath if she chose to as she had a child with him. It was also done in a very tactful and brief part of an interview.

@Louise: Oh you mean like Michelle had a movie to promote and campaign for an Oscar nod? At least this girl was seeing Heath. Michelle was just an ex he had a kid with. She has no right to talk about her ex like he didn’t ditch her and they were still together.

@Louise: Liar, you work in the fashion world like I work for NASA.
Gemma was huge in the modeling world before she retired. Youve never heard of her because you live under a rock. Loser.

It is kind of tasteless to have that as the main headline but I blame the interviewer, not her. But really, she only knew him for 2 months…

Umm..she left fashion because she wanted to be an actor. She did a movie with Liv Tyler, don’t you people remember?

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All