Leonardo DiCaprio As J. Edgar Hoover -- First Look!

Leonardo DiCaprio As J. Edgar Hoover -- First Look!

Leonardo DiCaprio smokes a cigarette on the set of J. Edgar on Tuesday (February 8) in Los Angeles.

The 36-year-old actor filmed scenes for the Clint Eastwood-directed flick, which also stars The Social Network‘s Armie Hammer, Josh Lucas, Ed Westwick, and Naomi Watts.

Armie, who plays J. Edgar Hoover‘s number two man at the FBI and rumored secret lover, recently dished that he won’t just be smooching Leo on-screen once.

“It’s not a kissing scene – it’s a ton of kissing scenes,” he told E! Online.

“[Leo is] a talented actor. I’m not nervous or afraid of it being awkward,” Armie added. “The script is great. The scenes are in there for a reason. I’m really excited.”

leonardo dicaprio j edgar filming 01

• Listen to Pia Mia's new song "Fill Me In"- Just Jared Jr
  • Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury did a duet together- Huffington Post
  • Watch a new trailer for A Most Violent Year- Lainey Gossip
  • David Ayer could be the director for Suicide Squad?- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Mayra Suarez shows off her amazing bikini body - Hollywood Tuna

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 » Show All

@iheartcomments: hi iheartcomments. hope you are well.@CanadaGirl: Hi there. Great to see pictures. But I am with you Canadagirl – I hope the production team has more up their sleeve than this. From these pictures I don’t see Hoover I see Leo in a sharp suit with different/weird hair. If we don’t see more of a transformation, I can hear the critics now – Leo is to vain to alter his appearance in service of a character, Leo is not ‘method’ enough in his approach to acting. Even if none of the make up choices are down to Leo, he will bear the brunt of any criticism as ever. So I hope they get this right because I want him to excel at this.

Also, regarding the Gatsby film – Mike FLeming from Deadline Hollywood is reporting that Warner Bros is nearing a deal to finance and distribute the picture with more news expected on this approx Friday.

@iheartcomments: Hi. Hope you are well.

weird. jj posted my comment to iheart so many times. Sorry about that. Take care all.

candycotton @ 02/10/2011 at 12:23 pm

@dr brown I’m good dawg…lol thanks for askin ,a lot of the original posters have left..too many barf freaks are on here posing as Leo fans…except they know who they are..as for Leo.. he does need to show more range in characters like he did in the beginning..I love too see him play ..a murderer …I think he should play Jim Jones… the fallen cult leader..that killed himself and h is followers..that was a real tragedy Leo would probally score an oscar… Johnny depp takes more risks with his career he s not afraid to step outside the box…also Robert Deniro has played a lot of diverse characters…he should think about doing more diverse characters…while he’s still young…can’t believe he will be 37 this year.. times flys…

Bloated old looking between his drinking and smoking cigarettes which by the way he didnt have to practice for this role……he looks gross dont know what happened to a good looking guy hes a loser!

@candycotton:

—————-

Johnny Depp more risks? His latest choices are terrible. Alice or The Tourist are horrible movies, and Pirates movies are ridiculous!

Really disappoint­ed for Johnny !!! If it weren’t for makeup, the guy wouldn’t have a career.

@donna 123:

He is into his new role (J.Edgard HOOVER) but if you dont like him, good for you! kissesssss

candycotton @ 02/10/2011 at 1:10 pm

@donna your the loser…hun u sound bitter what happened did your boyfriend spend all the rent money on hookers..again?..lol yeah Leo should take better care of himself…but. saying he’s a loser is. Just not cool.but its funny how you would take the time to post on a losers .blog..?? @sure I know what I said …besides what u you think….he s still taking risks…if u don’t like his work than don’t. Watch!!

Depp is a joke. The tourist was rubbish. He can’t compare to Leo

l’m looking forward to seeing this movie. Theres been so much talk about it

candycotton @ 02/10/2011 at 1:25 pm

Happy early Birthday…. to ” cookie” (Irmelin)…lol…..<3

@Canada Girl and dr brown

Re: Leo’s look

The main focus of the film is Hoover’s early years. See photo of Hoover at the age Leo is playing him for most of the film.

So at this point in the filming storyline there would be no reason for Leo’s appearance to be more altered that it is.

Later in the film when we have glimpses of a far older Hoover we will see the necessary transformation in Leo’s appearance.

Leo did a great job of portraying both the young and older Howard Hughes, and personally I think he’ll do just as well with the young and older J Edgar :)

CanadaGirl @ 02/10/2011 at 6:09 pm

Leo did have a good character transformation with The Aviator, but Hughes and Hoover are different and I think that there’s some room for movement/fine-tuning. The hair and clothes are good and will help develop authenticity, but their basic physiological structure is quite different. It’s time to ugly it up a little and add more to the exterior to refine the characterization.
Good insights tho’, Ann. Thanks. :)

CanadaGirl @ 02/10/2011 at 6:18 pm

You’re right, @dr brown:. Leo will bear the burden of criticism even though he probably doesn’t have the final work on costuming. Leo does great accents and his ability to pick up in the fine physical gestures is amazing to see. I know that I’ll enjoy the movie when it comes out… even though it’s not my country’s history.

CanadaGirl @ 02/10/2011 at 6:30 pm

I think there’s a resemblance there, @scheana2:. Not so much in profile, but full-frontal I see it. Here’s a picture of Cagney at 37: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm897554432/nm0000010 . They both have a little swagger.
Are you being moderated again?

it’s the hairline, hairstyle and foot ball shaped face. its’a great football shaped face, i diss not, but to me there is a strong resemblance. also in the characters he plays–they are very “noir” and that is whay cagney was known for- as the gangter in angels with dirty faces and white heat- not for yankee doodle dandy which cagney finally did win for.

cagney was red haired, irish, and that also reminds me of leo’s ginger hair. leo also looksl ike gary cooper a bit too. sigh.

i think he looks a little bit like redford too sometimes

Leo resemblance @ 02/10/2011 at 9:28 pm

@CanadaGirl: @scheana2:

omg Gary Cooper was a hunk… swooooon :)

Hoover fan @ 02/10/2011 at 10:01 pm

i wouldn’t want to see Leo following in Johnny Depp’s footsteps either… the past few years it just seems like he’s been doing anything that comes his way, like Nic Cage. It’s just working for the sake of paying for his castle that he supposedly owns in France, and he’s gotta think in Euros now so everything is twice as much as living in the states..that’s why you see him taking any job he can get…. I think Leo should diversify too, but I’m thinking more like Robert Deniro… I would love to see him do some comedy and definitely more suspense thrillers… he’s gonna be so good in comedy… I’d love to see him do a comedy with Deniro or even Will Ferrell, Ben stiller, owen wilson, Robert downey jr., I love all those guys… they would mesh really well with Leo, I know it’s a big leap for him, but I hope he will give it a try some day. It will be so fun to see him do something goofy and different. And I think it would be good for him down the line …

CanadaGirl @ 02/10/2011 at 10:36 pm

I think that he will eventually do comedy but, like DeNiro and Nicholson, he’ll probably wait until later in his career. Leo is an established dramatic actor, can you imagine how hilarious it would be to see him give a dead pan comedic performance?
Nicholson, who is one of my favs, is great in Something’s Gotta Give. It’s a romcom, but he nails it. Hilarious but still Nicholson, “You don’t see me wearing hats and crazy outfits!” His gestures are classic. Gets me every time.

CanadaGirl @ 02/10/2011 at 10:41 pm

Gary Cooper was quite handsome, and he had a rich “social life” too. :)

@Hoover fan:
i agree with you hoover fan, i would love to see leo do something ‘light hearted’ and comical but i dont thing these sorts of roles are challenging enough for him… he likes to portray ‘outside the box’ charecters…ie as different to himself as possible…this dude is one hardworker…i dont think that at this stage in his career, he doesnt feel the need to loosen up…maybe in a couple of years ( i hope so).
when he was promoting inception, a british journalist asked him if he would do a nice ‘rom com’ movie at some point….he had no idea what that meant…..its a romantic comedy…..

look at leo’s pix up there and then browse cagney on imdb…you’ll see what I am talking about. cagney also has leo’s big arc eyebrows.
cooper was legendary for his you know what. i dont think he was good looking later on, i’ll take cagney but as a young man he was very much so.

leo = cagney, cooper, orson welles in terms of performance—ever see welles as border town sheriff—forget name of film but it is noir classic.

Hoover fan @ 02/10/2011 at 11:14 pm

@CanadaGirl:

omg I LOVED him in Something’s gotta give… he had me in stitches at the end when he goes to meet Diane Keaton in Paris and he’s at the bridge and it starts to rain…and he says “Anything else??” in his typical Jack Nicholson voice.. I love that man… that would be another dream team, Leo and Jack…match made in comedy heaven lol :)also As good as it gets and Anger management are two of my JN faves…..I’m not a big Adam Sandler fan, but Jack made that movie for me. Also Woody Harrelson and John Turturro were great….Turturro is another actor who’s way under-rated imho, he’s doesn’t get the recognition he deserves. .

Hoover fan @ 02/10/2011 at 11:19 pm

@sab:

I agree with you, and I don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon either… but I hope that if a really great comedy is pitched to him (along the lines of Analyze this which is one of my fave Deniro comedies) that he will give it a chance. I know what you mean though, it probably will be some time before that happens..

Hoover fan @ 02/10/2011 at 11:25 pm

@scheana2:

yes they do have similar features, but Leo is much more handsome than Cagney.. Girl don’t tell me Gary Cooper was known for that too, cause you already got me salivating over here as is…that was one hunk of a gorgeous man… those eyes, that face..oh lordy lord lol

his P was/is legendary right up there with Milton Berle…yum, new thread, leo in PJ’s! loving the almost daily posts must be the PR for the film. the article about bar’s movie premiere was funny- i translated the comments Tzipi got outed again- they said she must be tired from typing so much. She made a homophobic comment AND she posted about how blue eyes are just much prettier! I guess she knows she cant get away with it here but she thinks she still can in Israel, no one is watching ! wrong!

Also the passionata pictures look really forced, the one with the baby photoshopped into the laundry basket is weird. Its like barfie would think the baby belongs in there with the socks? Probably. You can practially see her turn into an old fat jewish woman on the Big Brother clip, you can see the divots under the eyes. No, I dont usually look her up but I had time last night… and was tired…didnt practice my usual retstraint from giving her traffic

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 » Show All