'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' Tops 'Sucker Punch' at Box Office

'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' Tops 'Sucker Punch' at Box Office

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules took the top spot at this weekend’s box office with $24 million in ticket sales!

The second film in the Wimpy Kid series beat out second place finisher Sucker Punch, which finished with $20 million, followed by Limitless with $15 million.

Rounding out the top five were The Lincoln Lawyer and Rango, with $10.5 and $10 million, respectively.

WHAT DID YOU SEE at the movies this weekend?

Posted to: Box Office

A&E

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

I am still happy many people saw Sucker Punch and enjoyed Vanessa Hudgens performance all 3 times I went they did speak highly of Vanessa Hudgens.

Moses Ashford @ 03/27/2011 at 12:47 pm

I wasn’t interested in Sucker Punch and thought it was overhyped even though it has an interesting all-star cast. I’m glad it was brought down to earth by the critics and audiences.

Lydia Roberts @ 03/27/2011 at 12:52 pm

Zack Snyder will redeem himself with his next movie which will be his best one yet: The Man of Steel (2012).
I think overall he has to give us new villains, new love interests and new stories in this new Superman film series. I hope Lex Luthor and General Zod are left out of the movies for a while.
I look forward to seeing the following villains in this new film series:
Bizarro, Brainiac, Doomsday, Metallo, Toyman, Darkseid, Atomic Skull, Bloodsport, Bruno Mannheim, Conduit, Cyborg Superman, Faora, Gog, Imperiex, Intergang, Jax-Ur, Kryptonite Man, Livewire, Mala, Mercy Graves, Mongul, Morgan Edge, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Parasite, Prankster, Sam Lane, Silver Banshee, Solaris, Superboy-Prime, Superman Revenge Squad, Terra-Man, Titano, Ultra-Humanite, Ultraman.
They should have fight scenes in the new movie like the amazing one between Clark and a Phantom Zoner named ‘Titan’ played by WWE superstar Kane in the Smallville episode ‘Combat’.
This is a second chance to get it right. This is an opportunity.

Vox Veritas @ 03/27/2011 at 12:54 pm

@Lydia Roberts:

I like your list of baddies, but considering the type of movies they usually make, a lot of them don’t work. Hence why some of those become cheesy on Smallville.

There has to be an immediate reason for the existance of a bad guy in a movie. Bizarro would only work if that same movie builds up to him as a clone by small fries. Brianiac could work because he’s an alien, so he’s got the given “takes over the world” card built in. Doomsday needs LOTS of build up to be done right considering that “right” took I don’t know how many comic issues and all of the Justice League to make him grand. Metallo has the same problem as Bizarro.. he needs someone to make him. Toyman would need a completely different type of movie than we are used to, more of a Batman/Detective type of movie, to give us a great scare. It would be great but doubt they’d go for it. Darkseid is good; He’s a big threat and very alien. Atomic Skull needs to be made. Bloodsport, I had to look up, but he’d be a timely villain that would be very close to home and enhance Superman’s American adoptee credentials. Bruno Manheim can be a good “starter” villain. I’d like Conduit if they do a side-by-side Origins story, or focus on the bad guy while exlplaining the relevance of nature-vs-nurture in the creation of a good/evil dichotomy. Cyborg Superman I’d prefer as JUST Cyborg, since he didn’t become a Superman till after the original died. Faora needs Zod. Gog is god, or demi- at least. lol! Jeez! … Mxyzptlk would be a fun movie, but don’t think they are up to magical/extradimensional fantasy despite this being about a man WHO CAN FLY! … Sam Lane is a good choice if Superman gets treated like Hulk, and he could be used as the catalyst to some of the “man-made” villains. Way too many to keep going, but I think you get the idea! You’re right about this being an opportunity, and I wish they’d take on Superman from different angles so it wouldn’t just be a rock’em sock’em event!

Although, if they HAVE to do rock’em sock’em, how about Lobo thrown in the mix?

@Moses Ashford:

If you didn’t see either movie then your opinion shows only ignorance and an inability to think.

It’s just the first 2 days movies play a long time here and in Europe.

Maybe you should turn your brain on before you speak next time.

@Lydia Roberts:

You are exactly right. Hollywood just doesn’t know how to take advantage of the awesome characters and story lines that already exist in comics. Like in X-men, they make 3 movies with the exact same villain (Magneto).

A movie with almost any of the villains you mentioned would be sweet but some how I’d doubt Hollywood will pull it off. Oh and for the record I think they did a decent job with the last superman I just don’t want to see lex luthor again.

@Lydia Roberts:

Grey Scherl @ 03/27/2011 at 12:58 pm

@Lydia Roberts:

And let’s not forget: Chickadee, Lightning Lady, the Flaming Robot, Tree Stump, Prehistoric Birdman, Crazy Mermaid, Bug Bomb, Fast Turtle, The Human Gun, Frosty the Snowman, The Cloud, Super Truck, Grease Fire, Adolf Hitler, Mr. Strong, The Plant, Lydia Roberts, The ****, Dino Dan, The Jerk, Mountain Momma, Freezer Burn, Oil Slick, General Yuck, Bubbles, Sleepwalker, Microwave, Lady Diamond, Walking Volcano, the Thinker, and Pillow Power.

(Just having fun. I’m not making fun of you.)

I could happily live without ever seeing Atomic Skull, Bloodsport, Bruno Mannheim, Conduit, Gog, Imperiax, Jax-Ur, Kryptonite Man, Mala, Mercy Graves (who is Luthor’s bodyguard), Morgan Edge, Prankster, Sam Lane, Solaris (a sentient sun? really?), Superboy Prime, Terra-Man, Titano, or Ultra-Humanite.

I appreciate the effort hunting down his bad guys on wiki, but there really is a reason everyone always falls back on Lex

I saw sucker punch friday and saturday.
Just loved the movie, vanessa hudgens was amazing as Blondie.

Moses Ashford @ 03/27/2011 at 1:05 pm

@Thetis:

clearly you didn’t read my post where I did not explicitly say that I did not see either film or…
1.)they ran out of brains when it came to you
2.) you need a new optician

you choose.

Nothing wrong with respectful constructive criticism but your childish rants are laughable.

@Moses Ashford:

You did not offer criticism you offered a ridiculous comment on being glad a movie was brought down to earth – there was nothing constructive in the remark at all.

peggyThetis @ 03/27/2011 at 1:21 pm

@Moses Ashford:

Your opinion was neither respectful nor constructive. I can however offer you a dictionary to look up the meaning of the two words

gracemarie @ 03/27/2011 at 1:23 pm

Who is the little boy playing the lead? What else was he in?

Thanks

Enjoyed Sucker P. Took my nephew to Wimpy enjoyed it. Glad they both made some money.

#2 agreed..Sp was crap ! Liked limitless though and happy to see its still at no. 3

sp has just 29percent on RT and opening at just 20 million i doubt it will cover its production cost..hope synder doesn’t spoil superman

Like Sucker Punch! Totally different loved Lincoln Lawyer!

MangerBouger @ 03/27/2011 at 3:05 pm

@Havok: I would love to see something wih Lex Luthor again, I mean I wouldn’t mind if it is done properly, but I would love to see Superman against a human vilain such as Manchester Black for this first movie and then finish up the sequel with someone like the General Zod, a kryptonian with the same vulnarabilities and strengths as Superman. I am reallly confident with this new sequel (hopefully) because they finally cast Cavill but above all because Christoher Nolan helped with the script … I think it will be as awesome as the recent Batman sequel, if risks are taken with the sreenplay and confident actors (not only famous) to interpret the different characters. What Nolan taught hollywood is that the VFX shots cannot save a movie if the story is dull. Seriously, I’m so excited about this new Superman movie !

JUST GO WITH IT IS THE FIRST MOVIE THIS YEAR THAT MADE OVER 100 000 000 IN US!!!!!!!
o, and Rango made same money this weekend too :)

GO DISNEY< JENNIFER ANISTON and ADAM SANDLER!

Ticket sales dropped 17% on Saturday for SP. Soft BO number considering SP cost $85 to $105.

Quote:

Warner Bros.’ $75 million action pic Sucker Punch, about a clique of girls attempting to escape from a 1950s insane asylum, settled for second with $19 million. The PG-13 film was No. 1 on Friday, but it dropped 17 percent on Saturday. (Rodrick Rules, by comparison, leaped 32 percent on Saturday). This was director Zack Snyder’s worst live-action debut, behind 300 ($70.9 million), Watchmen ($55.2 million), and Dawn of the Dead ($26.7 million). Snyder’s next project is Superman: Man of Steel, which is assured to generate larger numbers for the filmmaker. Sucker Punch skewed young and male, with 74 percent of the audience under the age of 35, and 64 percent sporting a Y-chromosome. CinemaScore moviegoers awarded it a mediocre “B-” rating, with younger audience members being more enthusiastic than older ones.

i n f a m o u s l y c o o l @ 03/27/2011 at 4:01 pm

sucker punch got crappy reviews. it did decent because they promoted the hell out of it. those numbers are going to drop far next weekend.

hollywood @ 03/27/2011 at 6:37 pm

Sucker Punch only made 19M off a 80+M budget without marketing…its a dud if it fails internationally

I saw Diary of a wimpy kid and I’m really glad I did! It was a great movie I’d definitely see it again! And I also saw Paul it was hi-larious!!! I’m not surprised Sucker Punch didn’t do so well it looked like hot mess. I was excited about the cast until saw the trailer, just not good

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All