James Franco: Brad Renfro Billboard Tribute!

James Franco: Brad Renfro Billboard Tribute!

James Franco has been super-sized!

The 33-year-old actor is featured on a huge Gucci-sponsored billboard, which was just put up on Wednesday (June 8), right above West Hollywood hotspot Chateau Marmont.

It shows James having the word “Brad” etched into his right shoulder with a switchblade, which is a tribute to his 2002 Deuces Wild co-star, Brad Renfro, (Brad passed away in 2008 of a heroin overdose at the age of 25.)

The pictures are from James’ latest art project, in honor of the 1955 film, Rebel Without a Cause.

james franco brad renfro 01
james franco brad renfro 02
james franco brad renfro 03
james franco brad renfro 04
james franco brad renfro 05

Posted to: James Franco

Getty

Franco is such a tool.

Brainy box @ 06/10/2011 at 1:26 pm

HE IS HOT!!!!!

So annoying

This man is so hot but I cant’ having fantasies like I can do it with other men….I can’t figure him out…

I did it once ! We were three in a bed, him, me and Sean Penn…thank you Harvey Milk..lol

nikki brooks @ 06/10/2011 at 2:00 pm

this is pretty cool. im still a huge fan of Brad Renfro, so it was a complete shock when i heard he passed away. he had incredible talent. he’s truly missed. big ups to James for doing this. :)

gorgeous man!!!

good that someone still remember brad, he was a fine actor. r.i.p.

James is so hot and I want to meet him so bad. He is my favorite actor and damn he looks so good. Keep doing it up James

i love that he decided to do this tribute to Brad Renfro. I was shocked when I heard the news, and I had no idea that James was a close friend of Brad. I knew they worked tegother before. I love James even more for doing this. I cant wait for his “REBEL” exhibition in venice and LA. Looking forward to it!….
I havent heard of other actors that do the things that JAmes does and I respect him more for doing what he wants, and not letting others tell him what to do.
Love ya James!!

I’ve always loved Brad but this annoys me….

Looks like they took this photo right after the oscar hosting reviews came in

franco needs to give it up.
he’s nothing like Jimmy and will never be.
stop it with the nonsense, franco.
nobody’s listening and this whole
brad renfro bullcrap is absolutely ignorant.
what did brad renfro give to the world? NOTHING.
this really annoys me.
stop categorizing yourself with James Dean, franco.
you look nothing like him and your acting sucks BIGTIME.
CIAO! <33

I love james so freaking much! so nice that he is doing the exhibit in memory of brad.

@OH GOSH.: Looks nothing like him? He’s practically the dudes twin!

Linda Latona @ 06/11/2011 at 1:40 am

Boo-yah James!! Nice job! A true friend and artist. An extradornary tribute to your friend. Well done. You ARE a good man.

samanthar @ 06/11/2011 at 6:00 am

hes trying too hard

Hotel del Coronado @ 06/11/2011 at 8:24 am

Don’t know who he is but I like this tribute . It looks honest . R.I.P all who lost their life way before their time ……

Explain how this is a tribute to Renfro. Brad’s pic is small and one of three-the other two are of Franco. Franco’s pic is biggest and center. And the whole billboard is advertising Franco’s art exhibit, which honors James Dean, not Renfro, and Gucci, who employs Franco as a spokesman and model. THe whole thing is gross-expoloiting Renfro’s death for Franco’s financial gain. Disgusting, really. And, check out that photo of Franco, smiling coyly into the camera showing off the Brad superficially carved into his arm. He’s smirking, in fact! THis ain’t no tribute to Brad, it’s a tribute to Franco’s marketing himself.

Kim Renfro @ 06/18/2011 at 4:37 pm

@OH GOSH.:

WHAT HAVE YOU EVER GIVEN TO THE WORLD ? My guess is nothing. Please have a little respect for the family Brad left behind.

It;s interesting that James Franco had Brad Renfro’s initials tated on his arm! I searched Brad’s death blogs pretty thoroughly and there is no mention of James Franco either knowing Brad or being his friend! Putting a person’s name or initials on one’s body implys a ‘tight’ relationship, at the least, so how well does James know the late Brad Renfro? Re, Brad: it is happening all too often where these young twinks are doing drugs and in too many cases they are ODing In the case of Brad (and some others) it seems he had a deep psychological problem he was dealing with– I think, going back to his childhood! He was losing control of his life and it is a shamehe had no one in his life to direct him to psychotherpy to resolve this problem! R.I.P.