Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Battle with Alcohol

Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Battle with Alcohol

Daniel Radcliffe has opened up about his battle with alcohol at the age of 18 while working on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, the sixth film in the global franchise.

The 22-year-old actor told GQ (via SMH) that he “became so reliant on [alcohol] to enjoy stuff. There were a few years there when I was just so enamoured with the idea of living some sort of famous person’s lifestyle that really isn’t suited to me.”

“I really got away with that because there were many instances when a shot like that could have been taken,” Daniel said, referring to the eminent threat of paparazzi photographing his every move.

Daniel stopped drinking last August and prefers spending his downtime home with his girlfriend rather than partying.

“I’m actually enjoying the fact I can have a relationship with my girlfriend where I’m really pleasant and I’m not ….ing up totally all the time. As much as I would love to be a person that goes to parties and has a couple of drinks and has a nice time, that doesn’t work for me. I do that very unsuccessfully. I’d just rather sit at home and read, or talk to somebody that makes me laugh,” Daniel said. “There’s no shame in enjoying the quiet life. And that’s been the realisation of the past few years for me.”

Credit: Jemal Countess; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Daniel Radcliffe

WENN
  • Lance Armstrong plays golf now after his doping scandal- US Weekly
  • Jay Z and Roc Nation are being sued by a sound engineer- TMZ
  • Watch a trailer for Sharknado 2- Gossip Cop
  • Listen to Rixton's cover of Ariana Grande's hit song 'Problem'- Just Jared Jr
  • Courtney Love will be bringing her acting chops to Sons of Anarchy- Entertainment Weekly
  • Columbus Short opens up about his Scandal exit- Huffington Post
  • Read a career prospectus on James Marsden- Lainey Gossip
  • Brazil's loss to Germany in FIFA World Cup blows up Twitter- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Elisabetta Canalis shows off her bikini body in Italy- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

Silly Harry Potter, just cast an anti-alcoholic spell.

Daniel, what ck_always said, just might work.
Of my own volition, I decided some 10 years ago to give up alcohol and have not changed my mind since.

Good luck, Daniel.

VictoriaGirl @ 07/04/2011 at 1:05 am

Um, ck you DO realize that Harry Potter is a fictional character and not a real person right?

Surprised, yet not surprised. Kinda explains the pictures of him in Russia last year for his birthday having a grand time in a bar downing vodka like water.

Good luck, Dan.

i am addicted to gummy bears. ma says to have only 3 but i can’t help myself and have 10. that is my demon in my belly talking.

Hollyweird is such an artificial fantasy land, but chemical addictions such as that to alcohol are unfortunately all too real, and do not discriminate regardless of how much money, talent or fame you may have. Daniel seems like a very mature young man and I wish him the best.

Good for him for desiding this. Everyone always said how the Harry Potter cast was so……perfect. Kinda had a feeling they weren’t.

laverdadduele @ 07/04/2011 at 2:56 am

Idiot.

What?!? I’m shocked, but at the same time I’m impressed that he managed to hide that so well.

There was a time around HBP promotion that he was looking a little rough. Guess now we know why.

Wow it is so nice to hear someone my age say they don’t need alcohol to have a good time I never thought a young celebrity would ever say that, I don’t drink and it is very difficult to have a social life in this day in age without drinking

Finally someone who admits it unlike the others who obviously drink and take drugs but have their publicists cover it up and deny it. I’m looking at the Twilight cast as the best example.

The Punnator @ 07/04/2011 at 4:55 am

At least it’s not a battle with marijuana..Then he’d really be Harry ‘Pot’ter woudn’t he?

The Punnator @ 07/04/2011 at 4:56 am

At least it’s not a battle with marijuana..Then he’d really be Harry ‘Pot’ter wouldn’t he?

http://ulink.pl/hotgossips LOOK! HOT CELEBRITY GOSSIPS . THIS PAGE IS GREAT . LooK!

thats brave of him. especially at his age (or any age) to admit you have a problem. just one more reason to love this guy!

another publicity stunt to get more mature roles.

Wait, girlfirend? I thought he was gay?

just another way of saying hes whipped!

Isn’t he gay?

Caroline Gritte @ 07/04/2011 at 7:55 am

Does he mean he got drunk a few times ? Nothing WRONG with that ! But if it is an addiction, good for you !

Wait… Tell me if I got this wrong, ok!?
He was never addicted to alcohol, he realized that he enjoy the thing and decided to stop before he got addicted like many other young actors. Am I right? Because if I am, that doesn’t mean that he had a battle with alcohol, just that he is very responsible!!!!

I am addicted to KOL songs and Caleb Followill’s voice.

Help me with your magical sh.t to meet him, I’ll help you too, I’ll give you Gaga to hit each time you want to drink..lol

It’s okay to drink and party at 18 or 22 ! Actually if you don’t you’re a freak ! (LOL )

Tara, I agree with you, I don’t drink either and you really don’t need it to have a good time at all, I’m happy to know he’s realised at such a young age and nipped it in the bud before things got worse. He should be proud of himself :) Well done Daniel.

what a load of tosh, so this kid thinks that going out and getting drunk all the time from the age of 18 – 22 makes him an alcoholic?? smacks of the old celebrity vulnerability/human thing to me…..your not special mate…oh yeah and mentioning you have a girlfriend all the time doesnt make you not gay….you gay.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All