Aleph Millepied: Natalie Portman's Son's Name?

Aleph Millepied: Natalie Portman's Son's Name?

Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied have reportedly named their son Aleph!

The 30-year-old actress and her fiance, who became parents in early June, chose a Hebrew name that can be also be spelled “Alef” – in Hebrew, it’s the number 1.

“I’ll be out of the public eye after [the baby's born],” Natalie has previously told People – and she hasn’t been photographed since giving birth!

Natalie and Benjamin met while working on Black Swan together and announced their engagement and her pregnancy back in late December.

WHAT DO YOU THINK of the name Aleph?

• Kourtney Kardashian celebrates the 35th birthday in a bikini- US Weekly
  • Cher Lloyd talks about her new music video for “Sirens”- Just Jared Jr
  • Michelle Obama will be visiting Nashville - Entertainment Weekly
  • How did Jennifer Garner look in 1999? - Huffington Post
  • Ryan Gosling is attending this year's Cannes Film Festival- Lainey Gossip
  • Constance Nunes shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

does anyone know how this is pronounced?

heard this days ago

It sounds very strange.
Ofcourse she was picking a Jewish name.. so obvious

It sounds very strange.
Ofcourse she was picking a Jewish name.. so obvious

YAAAS HONEY! @ 07/06/2011 at 4:21 pm

That’s also how it’s said in arabic. I believe it’s pronounced Auh-lef

Well it could be spelled “Elif”. E-leaf is how it’s pronounced. My bro’s girlfriend is turkish, and that’s her name. But since she ss turkish, I could be wrong.

alef is the first letter in the hebrew language >.> it’s parallel to a. and it IS weird to name him that way…

It also means the letter A in Arabic.

@candy:

I think it’s Alef.

I thought she was going to name him Ezra, a Hebrew name which I think sounds nice.

and goooood stop listening to arabs >.> it’s pronounced exactly the way it’s written >.>

alef is the first letter in the arabic language too..

Its the first letter of the alphabet (letter A) in Hebrew, Arabic, Persian and Urdu.

lexy hates bilson @ 07/06/2011 at 4:36 pm

Congrats to Natalie! Hopefully she’s home relaxing and enjoying her new baby!

So when they have a second baby, will they name it the letter B in Hebrew?

@mimi:

letter b is the second letter in arabic language too..

she’s so stupid. that’s a girls name

Alef isnt a Jewish name at all. It is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet. It is the equivilent to naming your kid “A” in English.

Is Aleph or Afef? Whatever, both are horrible ..

dang, no love for natalie in here!

i gotta say i know nothing of the hebrew language but this name is better than Sage Moonblood, Pilot Inspektor, Apple, or Jermajesty (all of which are actual names celebrities gave to thier poor children)

Natalie is a class act, and makes perfect sense that she will pick a name with a special meaning to her heritage and not another boring American name.
Who on earth named their child “Jermajesty”?

sourpatch575 @ 07/06/2011 at 5:37 pm

Oh look it’s A LEAF!
Get it? :P

how stupid. she annoys the f-ck out of me

I’m jewish and israeli and that’s the weirdest name ever…i was expecting something much more normal from natalie but guess i was wrong…oh well, congratulations to them anyway!

Let the playground beatings begin.

Natalie Portman has named her son Alef. Alef is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet and is also a silent letter. Fascinating choice!

I would love to give her a copy of my e-book An Alef-Bet Kabalah: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1653

Mrs. Toth is a JOKE!!! @ 07/06/2011 at 6:24 pm

different but cool

oh shut up most celebrities don’t use their real names anyway so it doesn’t matter what she named the kid. that’s like out of Paul Neman’s 5 daughters from his two marriages only one his oldest has a hebrew name Susan which means lily her younger sisters names are Stephanie which is french Elinor which is english Melissa which is greek meaning bee and often shortened to lissy or Missy and Claire which is french meaning lllustrious all five girls have the same father Paul Newman but the younger three have a different mother Joanne Woodward Elinor {Nell} is named for Joanne’s mother and her middle name is Paul’s mothers name Teresa Melissa {Lissy} is named for the first character their mother played in a movie and neither of them ever gave why Claire {Clea} is named Claire Olivia Claire could be to honor Joanne’s french ancestry or after a dear friend british actress Claire Bloom and I always assumed Olivia was in memory of another dear friends daughter who died of measeals a couple of years before she was born that would be Patricia Neal’s oldest daughter. at least he doesn’t have a long ass name like Peaches Honeyblossom Michelle Charlotte Angel Vanessa Geldof

it’s sound like a dog name

Wendy Kaufman @ 07/06/2011 at 7:05 pm

Wow. As a mom who tried her best to find easy names that would not leave my kids constantly having to either have their name spelled wrong, or have them constantly spelling it for people, I find this an awkward name. He’s gonna be “Alex” so many times. Might just be me, though. I saw my dad wrestle with his name all his life, and I vowed not to do that to my kids.

Natalie loves Israel more than the USA. Kind of looks like “Adolph” when you look quick. Weird.

@mimi: Jermaine Jackson haha

aleph means A in hebrew not !…echad is 1!!!!! get the facts straight!

Why doesn’t she just go and Live in her Israel? She has the citizen so she should.
Her real name is not even Portman.. How shallow

@YAAAS HONEY!: Same word, but apparently different meaning. Aleph/Alef is the letter A in Arabic.

@Halli: It’s nice that she’s honoring her heritage. I agree with you though, Ezra is a beautiful name!

Aleph (El Aleph) is also a book from José Luis Borges.

It’s not pronounced “Ay-leaf” as some of you are saying, it’s “Uh-leff”.

Hate to break it to Natalie but people will call him “AL”. As in fat Albert.

Its also Arabic and pronounced uh-lef

Its A in the arabic alphabet not 1 …. its ( أ ) !!
one is wahid ,,,, A is alif

Another Zionist scum and her closeted partner; playing pretend family, killing thousands of people every day in Palestine. She was quick to condemn John (of Dior) for his remarks about Hitler, but for some reason fails to address the atrocities her beloved Israel’s government commits on daily basis in the occupied territories. I want my money back for Black Swan.

As pertained to the post; who gives a flying doodle what her son’s name is?!

Very fitting and noble. Impressed.

@YAAAS HONEY!: It’s spelled Alief or Alif in Arabic, I’m a muslim, not a terrorist, respect Jews and Christians, just sayin :)

Alef is not 1 in hebrew, its the name of the first letter in hebrew!

Its a beautiful name wow

it’s a GRAET NAME

He is going to be teased and get called Alephant. Poor kid.

I like this name, it’s really pretty !
And I don’t see the big deal, where is the problem with this name ? –’

Aleph is the letter A in Hebrew not the number 1… :)

so, will the baby’s middle name be Darren after his father.

Hanna Wajsfeld @ 07/07/2011 at 9:20 am

@candy:
PH sounds like F
Le sounds like Left
A sounds like in Amazing

A-le-f

Hanna Wajsfeld @ 07/07/2011 at 9:26 am

@Halli:
it is the same in Hebrew

In Cabala expresses the idea of ​​unity and the principle. Refers to the strength, activity, power, stability and unity as a social (collective) man.

I think so…

nepenthes @ 07/07/2011 at 9:50 am

Don’t care what it stands for, it’s a horrible name…

Alef dosn’t mean number one. Alef is the first letter hebrew

alephbatatsa @ 07/07/2011 at 10:32 am

@emily h: and don’t forget BRONX MOWGLI. yeah, really.

Alef (means number 1) because her son is her everything and will always be her number one :)

She is so pretentious it’s ridiculous.

lafamepoma @ 07/07/2011 at 12:56 pm

The main thing that I don’t understand is, does he feel Jewish? ‘Cause he’s French and in France there aren’t a lot of people that is Jewish, there are more Christians and people who don’t believe in God, I mean is creepy that he haven’t given his opinion about the name, but maybe he likes the name, so there’s nothing to say.

sicksister @ 07/07/2011 at 2:01 pm

Aleph? Weird name…

If they wanted to give him a traditional Jewish (Old Testament Biblical) name, there are so many nicer ones they could have chosen instead. Poor kid.

Congrats to her but I think it’s a bad name choice

I live in Israel and speak Hebrew as a native language, and JustJared – you’re wrong!
Aleph is not the number 1 in Hebrew, it’s the first letter in the Hebrew alphabet!

@lafamepoma : Benjamin is jewish too! He’s french but his origin is jewish

Who cares? @ 07/08/2011 at 5:15 pm

I speak spanish and for me the pronunciation of that name is not difficult at all. Who cares if it is jewish or what? after all you are not going to raise him. If his parents are happy then that’s all that matters.

@candy: It’s pronounced- A (like the A in Alex) LE (like in LEnding) and F – A-LE-F. Aleph.
And 1) it’s not the ‘number 1′, It’s the first letter in the Hebrew Alphabet. And, No, the Arabic first letter is pronounced differently(!)
2) It’s not a Jewish name, nor a Hebrew name. He’s probably the only baby in the world with that name.
3) In Israel they announced the name in the media at the day she gave birth. Man this site is waaaayy too late….