Lea Michele & Chris Colfer Not Returning for 'Glee' Season 4

Lea Michele & Chris Colfer Not Returning for 'Glee' Season 4

Get ready to say goodbye to Rachel, Kurt, and Finn.

Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, and Cory Monteith will not be returning for the fourth season of Glee, according to the show’s creator Ryan Murphy.

“[They are] not going to be back at all for Season 4,” Ryan told THR. “You can keep them on the show for six years and people will criticize you for not being realistic, or you can be really true to life and say when they started the show they were very clearly sophomores and they should graduate at the end of their senior year.”

While Ryan has previously mentioned that cast members would be graduating at the end of next season, these are the first cast members officially not returning.

While Chord Overstreet was not made a series regular for the third season, he is still welcome on the show and could possibly be bumped to a regular for season four.

ARE YOU SAD to see Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, and Cory Monteith leave Glee?

Credit: Dimitrios Kambouris, Jason Merritt; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith, Glee, Lea Michele

• How many glasses of wine can Gerard Depardieu drink a day?- US Weekly
  • Joan Rivers' doctor was also Celine Dion's doctor- TMZ
  • Macklemore is the latest victim of a death hoax- Gossip Cop
  • Check out cast portraits for Jane the Virgin - Just Jared Jr
  • Bill Hader will host Saturday Night Live- Entertainment Weekly
  • Ana Braga shows off her sexy bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

I want to cry. Those are my favorites on the show =( You know you may find it silly that someone might cry over this but this show as done a lot for me and many other people out there. The show would be the same without them.

Jhe Rañin @ 07/13/2011 at 7:26 pm

THIS IS SAD!! :((

What about Mercedez, quinn, puck, tina, artie, mike, santana, and brittany? Aren’t they the same age? wouldn’t they be leaving as well?

Great. Now Lea can go back to Broadway…Where she belongs!

Not at all. I agree with Murphy and I think that if Glee is a show about High School Kids they have to graduate. I’m very sad that Chord will not be regular at next season, but I believe in Murphy’s touch. Waiting anxiously for the next season.

I honestly can’t imagine Glee without Rachel, Kurt, or Finn!!! I hope the producers know what they’re doing and not just “jumping the shark”!!! It’s going to be pretty hard to continue watching after such powerful characters are gone only after two seasons!

though the writers are great, the voices of these 3 very talented people as well as their acting skills have made the show the success it is…the “adults” can not carry it.

@Chy:

Correction!!! It’ll be hard to watch the show after they’ve only been on there for 3 seasons. I like Mr. Schuester and Sue Sylvester, but I don’t think they’re strong enough to carry the show on their own.

Although I agree with Ryan Murphy on the whole staying true idea, I don’t think the new glee kids will be as great as the current ones. Of course, the current cast is the original, so viewer wise it may get awkward for season 4. I guess that’s the con about shows that take place in high school: you have to grow up, bring a new cast and the show can possibly lose viewers.

I n F a m o u s l y C o o L @ 07/13/2011 at 7:35 pm

…now what will they do?!? …ahahahahahaa …fade away.

DAMN! it’s gonna su.c.k

Haha, the show will bomb and become irrelevant come Season Four. It happens all the time, but at least it’ll save the original actors the embarrassment. Ryan the Douche, however…

The guy who plays Finn is seriously atrocious. Say goodbye to your carteer post-Glee, mate. Douchey glasses, too.

I’ll miss them in the new season

Wow, he’s going all out. I thought he’d try and phase them out two-by-two or something not all at once. I am surprised that Dianna Agron isn’t one of the first to go. With her feature film roles I thought she’d be one of the first out the door to try her hand at films full time.

So does this mean Ryan Murphy’s going to spend the 3rd season building up the rest of the cast to the point where they can carry the show without Lea, Chris and Cory?

I’m not a huge fan of all three of them but, by and large, good and bad, their characters are the most developed, they carry the bulk of the singing duties and they carry the bulk of the airtime with their stories and relationships (with each other and other characters). Them leaving is going to leave a huge hole that’s going to need to be filled.

I hope they balance the third season out better than they did the 2nd season so that the remaining characters start to build stories and relationships on their own. So, by the third season when Rachel/Finn/Kurt are gone, the show isn’t scrambling to find someone, anyone to fill their shoes and spending the first half of the season throwing whatever and whoever at the wall to see what sticks with the audience.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHH!!! WITHOUT THE MAIN, THE SHOW IS GOING TO BE CANCELLED, BYE TO THIS ****

Not sure why it matters if they stay, It is just a fictionalized tv show. But like Friday Night Lights which switched its cast successfully I am sure this one can do it also. It would be a shame to see Lea, Quinn and Heather Morris go.

It’s not worth without them. i’m so sad.

Ridiculous. They could have broken up the school years into 2 seasons. The show has already been headed downhill, pretty sure season 3 will be the end. I think Ryan Murphy is a little full of himself.

if LEA’s leaving might as well remove DIANNA…i mean…this is non-sense!!!!!!i can’t watch glee if QUINN and RACHEL is not around…and remember she’s of the same age…if Ryan is saying being true and why is that QUINN is the CAPTAIN of the CHEERIOS during her freshmen year…duh! i love DIANNA/QUINN but if some of the orig cast will leave especially LEA then what’s the sense…remove them all!

Puck should leave, too. He’s the oldest-looking and least convincing high schooler or TV next to the people on 90210.

Chris leaving breaks my heart. As for the “mouth” – let me show her to the door. Good riddance.

GOOD!
Sources say Lea M. was a real pain in the asz to work with.

nooooooooooo @ 07/13/2011 at 8:36 pm

WTF????????????????????

RebelYell @ 07/13/2011 at 8:43 pm

The highschool based show curse strikes again!!!!!
The OC bombed after they got rid of Mischa Barton for good and was canceled before the fourth season ended.
One Tree Hill never recovered after Chad Micheal Murray and other actors left losing popularity in its fourth season.
The original 90210 suffered the same fate after several actors left in the fourth season. The new 90210 won’t last long for many reasons.
Gossip Girl will probably make the same mistakes and lose some of it’s lead actors and try to replace them.Only to find the show canceled soon after. I am surprised that the people behind Glee didn’t see this coming since the characters would have to leave highschool some time. They should of split the years up, by two seasons for every one year in highschool. Although there are “glee” clubs in college.Maybe they are planning a spin off and trying to upset everyone with some of the cast leaving, only to announce their return on the spin off.Ryan Murphy is a clever business man sounds like something he might pull.

Omg this is so sad! I will miss them!!! I wonder what will happen to the other cast members like Artie, Tina, Quinn, Brittany, Santana, Puck, etc.

Not smart choice @ 07/13/2011 at 8:51 pm

When Lea leave I am out

Omg this is so sad! I will miss them!!! I wonder what will happen to the other cast members like Artie, Tina, Quinn, Brittany, Santana, Puck, etc…

@OverHim: Agron is leaving too. She just wasn’t mentioned because she’s not that important.

Like her or not, but Lea works the hardest for this show. She sings the most, has significant screen time, does the most promoting, sells the most, etc. This show’s going to sink hard and fast without her.

khsalksjd @ 07/13/2011 at 9:03 pm

Since Ryan is graduating these characters, here’s how I think it should happen without completely changing the entire cast.-
I think Lea, Cory, Mark, Dianna, Amber, Harry (and CHORD if only he would be there!) should graduate after the 3rd season and bring in 5 new characters. Naya, Heather, Chris, Darren, Kevin, Jenna, and Ashley should then graduate after the 4th season then bring in 7 new characters.
Jane, Matt and Jayma should stay forever.

elizabeth @ 07/13/2011 at 9:07 pm

i like the approach of moving the cast out when they ‘graduate’. these “stars” are easily replaceable; there are so many talented singers and perfomers out there in hollywoodland that there won’t be a shortage of students for Mr. Schusters class.

WTF..so that means Glee is over???? And aren’t all the kids on that show the same age..so no one should be returning.

Emma Roberts Nepotism Card @ 07/13/2011 at 9:22 pm

The only one I see with a legit career post Glee is Diana who booked actual work before she landed Glee. The rest all look like they’ll be doing TV cable movies in a few years time. And Lea looks like she’ll be a broadway actress. Forget the rest. They’re disposable. They should be enjoying what they have cause they won’t ever get anything better than Glee. I know it sounds harsh but that’s what I think will happen.

Finn should graduate and come back as the singing school janitior…….most likely where he’ll end up in real life.

Rachel should be written out in a horrible anethesia accident ……when she finally goes for that nose job.

there will be no season 5 with this choice

This is how you make money.
A revolving door
No big contracts or demands

Season 3 may as well be the final season. I’m sure many viewers won’t return for season 4 either.

@Emma Roberts Nepotism Card:

When one is ignorant one should keep quiet.

Lea Michelle is a Tony award winning actress and whether Dianna can maintain a carreer is yet to be established.

It’s sad! But Ryan Murphy is so talented! I hope everything would be great anyway…

They should have had a season last half a school year. So sophomore year could have been seasons 1 & 2, junior year would be seasons 3 & 4, and senior year would have been 5 & 6. I love this show, I saw it live in June, but I doubt I will watch without the main characters. Glee is nothing without Chris Colfer!

laverdadduele @ 07/13/2011 at 11:03 pm

Good riddance. Hoping this will be the end of this lame show.

This is SO SAD, LEA IS THE BEST FEMALE SINGER I’VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE AND SHE IS THE STAR OF THE SHOW AND WITHOUT HER THEY GOT NOTHING

love in ny @ 07/13/2011 at 11:17 pm

when lea leave i’m leaving with her, lea and chris are the most talented ones.

when lea michele leave i’m done with glee.

Like CSI when Grissom left, you can kiss the fanbase of this show goodbye.

after 3 season i'm out @ 07/13/2011 at 11:34 pm

when lea and chris leave i’m out as well, what is the point to watch glee without lea and chris? none.

Season 3 will be definitely my last season of Glee…Lea, Cory, and Chris are Glee to me…not to mention the most talented on the show. I understand they can’t be in HS forever, but I think they could of kept the show with its original stars through season 4 and then just ended the show with a fantastic series finale rather than keep it going with a new cast

the show will be nothing without lea… cory’s looking really ugly in that pic with the glasses

Alright, okay everybody, you need to get his through your thick skulls. EVERYBODY IS LEAVING THE SHOW. THEY ARE ALL GRADUATING EXCEPT FOR BLAINE AND SAM BECAUSE THEY ARE A GRADE YOUNGER…. SO YES THAT INCLUDES DIANNA, AND MARK, AND HARRY AND JENNA AND KEVIN AND EVERYBODY…… seriously you guys call yourselves fans of the show and you didnt even KNOW that?

NOW I CAN WATCH THE SHOW! YAY

They’re not leaving soon enough. I personally would be happier if they cancelled this POS. Pop culture is already an inch away from the gutter, save it by eliminating crap like this.

Emma Roberts Nepotism Card @ 07/14/2011 at 2:03 am

@peggy ***** you have the nerve to call me ignorant? Noone else has been able to book work in a mainstream motion picture outside of the Glee franchise besides Dianna. It’s not about whether she maintains it or not, she could just as easily nosedive like the rest, but she’s the one with the most potential because the PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING. Like I said, Lea has theater chops. Harry has a solid dancing career. Cory is not leading man material. The rest are heading down cable TV. Now stfu.

I’ll be leaving for season 4 too then.

thank god, noiw they can stop this crapy show.

show’s over ;)

It won’t be same without the original glee cast :(

We want Cory =(

I will not watch the 4th season for sure, glee without rachel are you kidding me? After season 3 i’m done.

Cory looks younger than his age , Finns charachter is way different then Corys . So stop hating on him .. Cory =(

GLEE shoul disappear from TV. Period.
It started off as a promising idea, but turned out to be a self-indulgent parade with only traces of actual plot. Fail!

i don’t like it….i don’t think that glee will ever be the same without them… same with the whole original cast…

“Glee” really won’t be the same without them … :o( … Not sure if I’ll keep watching the show after season 3.

i probably won’t be watching anyway. series 2 paled in comparison to series 1 and the only things that kept me watching were chris colfer and ashley fink.

I think that lea is the show! lets be serious, shes the only one except mercedes who can sing,…. gonna miss her!!!

Why would they be returning in season 4?!?!?! Ryan Murphy already said they’d be graduating in season 3!

I don’t think that glee will ever be the same without them but they need to move on with their career. Lea Michele movies are coming (NYE and Dorothy of Oz), solo album, Bway´s revivals…those chances will be missing if she stays in Glee. I will follow her career no matter what…she needs to shine. Same to others cast members

These three are the mains of this show. It will be nothing without them! Especially Lea Michelle. Although her character can be a little nuisance sometimes, it is the spirit of the show.

I need a spin off about Lea and Kurt in NYC!

HAVE THEY LOST THEIR MINDS??? What were they thinking?

Ryan Murphy thinks he’s like Speilberg or something. Season 1 was the prime of the show – it hasn’t been better and it won’t get better than season 1. All the messages, lessons, issues, and showy episodes season 2 produced was such a waste. Season 2 was horrible and now season 4 is going to suck. So thanks Ryan Murphy.

They are three of the best! I can’t believe they’re not coming back! This sucks! I love Rachel, she reminds me so much of me with her drive and will. I love Kurt too and Finn. I’m not sure how good the show will be out without them! I have a feeling that this is only the beginning. I’m sure before summer’s end it will be revealed that Santana, Brittany, Mercedes, Puck, Artie, Quinn and Tina won’t be returning either. I hope that’s not the case but we’ll see.

Si se van ellos no lo miro mas

i love Lea :( … i hope that she has another tv show or something cos shes really good..

Glee kiss your ratings goodbye hey you had a good run but i dont think a group of fresh faces can ever live up to the original characters at all!!!!

I cab`t believe Glee without Rachel, yes, yes! Everyone is important there, the thuth is Rachel is unique, is the drama queen and is the voice!!!! plus She is super funny being dramatic I love her acting!!! Nooo way is gonna be the same =(

WTF????????????????no way!!

Nathan King @ 07/14/2011 at 2:13 pm

i don’t know why everyone is so surprised i expected them to graduate at the end of the third season from the very first episode. suck it up people!!!

I’m sad :( he should right a spinoff for them!

Yes–I will not be watching once Kurt is gone, unless they can give me a very compelling reason to continue.

do you remember what happened with The O.C. ?

Without them glee not going to have more fun if they come out honestly I do not see the glee

WHAAAATTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? >:( not watching after season 3 then ¬¬

whoa! how are they going to have glee without them!

maybe they could have a glee -”college version” or something? honestly, what’s glee without these three?

I GUESS THIS IS MY LAST SEASON OF WATCHING BECAUSE IF I DON’t SEE THEM IN 4 i am so watching the cw

i’m sad to see them go…. i really am. i mean, what about the rest of the characters? really? the show isn’t as great as it used to be, but i’m sad to see them go.

Seeing them leave going to be really hard Finn was one of my tabs and Kurt was the reason I was ok with comming out with my sexuality and Rachel was the person that kinda got me more into singing. But anyone who doesn’t miss these people just dissent get what it’s like to be like me!

Everyone thinks its stupid to get rid of the 3 favourite characters & I agree & will miss them loads but if you don’t get rid of the main favourites when the newbies come in no one will like them cos they are still hung up on Rachel, Finn or Kurt, so if you get rid of the favourites you have to get a new favourite. So I think that Ryan is hoping that peoples new favourites will be the new characters.
After all wasn’t Glee created to showcase average peoples incredible music talents? So give more people the chance.
But I am going to sincerely miss Rachel’s drama & hilarious facial expressions, Finn’s gorgeous smile that makes me melt, & Kurt’s everything! ♥

artie fan @ 07/19/2011 at 6:39 pm

I will NEVER watch glee again if artie and tina arent on it, the seris should end after season 3 >(

artie fan @ 07/19/2011 at 6:39 pm

No Chris Colfer= No me being a gleek
chris colfer,rachel,finn THEY`RE THE FUNNY ONES
Glee would SUCK if they left especialy kurt hes the funniest
I`ll rather have it to be not realistic if they are gunna remove THOSE
Kurt is my life >:(

SERIOUSLY???
Those guys put the L in glee
without them its just glee turning into…Gee

SERIOUSLY???
Those guys put the L in glee
without them its just glee turning into…Gee

Why is this news. We have always known that they are going to graduate. It’s high school for chrissakes. True…

This is honestly sad! what is Glee without Rachel, Finn and Kurt?.. They better be guest stars in season 4. for most of the episodes.