Tom Cruise: Jack Reacher in 'One Shot'!

Tom Cruise: Jack Reacher in 'One Shot'!

Tom Cruise is set to star as Jack Reacher in the upcoming film One Shot, adapted from the Lee Child novel by the same name from 2005!

The 47-year-old actor will play a retired military police member who travels to Indiana to investigate the murder of five people killed by a sniper.

“Retired from an elite investigative unit of the military police, Jack Reacher drifts around the country carrying only his passport, his military pension and the clothes on his back. Although Reacher doesn’t go looking for trouble, trouble often finds him and when it does, the ex-MP jumps right in, using his brain as much as his brawn,” Tom‘s official site explained.

Credit: Kevin Winter; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Tom Cruise

Pages: « 1 2 [3] Show All
Smell the cooking @ 07/25/2011 at 2:51 pm

I’ve read the whole Reacher series and I have thought at times who would be a good fit to play the role in the movies. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson seems like a logical fit for the character of Reacher. He definitely has the physical presences needed for the role. I can get past the difference in ethnicity of the character (i.e. not having blonde hair and blue eyes) much easier than I can the total miss-casting of a vertically challenged ham actor.

Are you seriously kidding me? What a way to kill a character! Jack Reacher looks NOTHING like Tom Cruise. The reason Jack Reacher is so polupar, is because he uses his considerable height and strength in order to get out of predicaments. Tom Cruise is a small wimp. What stupid casting. Really, Lee Child, are you just looking at the money or have you abandoned Jack Reacher?

noooooooooooooooooo this is just not right….will not go and see the movie and now when and if I read anymore reacher books I will think of tom cruise..what a waste of a good book

no no no no no! wtf were they thinking of? in every book they make a point of the fact Jack Reacher is a very big bloke, not a short-**** like Tom Cruise. worst casting ever

wow horrifying choice Cruise is not Reacher could never be Reacher will ruin Reacher for me if i was ever stupid enough to see the movie which i won’t they just had to screw it up for all of us huge fans why not an unknown instead so the actor could become Reacher this makes me sick

You can’t take the massive size and brute strength out of Jack Reacher and think he could still be Reacher without it. His size is a major part of who he is and how he gets things done. Reacher is a giant of a man who uses physical strength as well as brain to save the day. Make him Tom Cruise size and he isn’t Reacher anymore. He is just some other guy with the same name. I don’t want to see a movie like that.

I would rather see an unknown or perhaps someone with the stature of John Cena (haven’t seen him act, so I don’t know if he could pull it off). But Tom? Come on, not that I have anything against Cruise as an Actor, I have enjoyed many of his films, but this is just wrong. I interviewed Lee Child last spring, and had I known I would have asked him what he thought. Can’t believe he is totally thrilled with this decision. (except for the fact that it will probably bring in lots of money)

Truth Monger @ 08/09/2011 at 3:44 pm

Is Jack Reacher a Scientologist??

marmaduke @ 08/10/2011 at 2:53 pm

I love Tom Cruise movies in general, he has done some dodgy ones but he is great. Unfortunately he is NOT Jack Reacher and no amount of costume/make-up/camera angles is going to make him into Hugh Jackman who would be perfect for the part or Liam Neeson or even Steven Siegal if he lost weight and went blond!!!!
Such a shame to ruin such a wonderful character. It is clear from the majority of comments on this site that these actors would be infinately better than the short ******.

Reacherfan @ 08/15/2011 at 7:22 am

I can’t possibly believe this! Does Lee Child have anything to say about this? or has he sold out too? Tom Thumb Cruise is possibly THE WORSE possible actor to play Reacher. Why doesn’t he just be happy with the role of producer and let a real macho actor (like Ray Stevenson) be Reacher.
Even Julia Roberts would play Reacher better, or Angelina Jolie, or Merryl Streep. They’d all make a better Reacher.

DAMMIT! One of my favorite series and they had to totally botch it. Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher. Period. Hollywood did what they always do, and picked someone they thought could fit the role based simply on the genre. Mission Impossible does not make him qualified. They should have picked someone fresh. And it’s not just because Tom Cruise doesn’t look like him. Reacher’s physical traits are so integrated into the story, especially when it comes to how he defeats his enemies. I will not support this film. I don’t care how good people say it is. It will only encourage Hollywood to continue using Cruise as Jack Reacher, and I don’t want that. AHHH!

TREV WARDELL. @ 08/17/2011 at 1:53 pm

My wife and I have read all the J.R. Books, great read. she told me a film was to be made,I joked they will get Tom Cruise(the mini me) acter ?. NO,NO,NO. Too small, too pretty,too stupid, PLEASE Lee DONT LET THEM DO IT,

Would have loved to see Kevin Durand as Reacher…I’m so sick of Tom Cruise and his badassery…or lack there of.

Im a massive fan of these books and i recommend them to anyone who will listen to me but this choice is ridiculous, i wont watch the film and il do my best to put everyone else i know off it as well

Why Why Why are they ruining Jack Reacher for me!!!!!!!

susannah Kent @ 10/06/2011 at 6:28 pm

I agree totally with Ann. Tom Cruise is so not Jack Reacher. He needs to be more of a Tommy Lee Jones style actor. Just like it was so wrong to cast Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci movies. Do they think the readers of the books have no imagination and only interested in current hot box office actors. Not!!!

Casting a 5’7 guy to play a character who is 6’5 and 220 pounds in the book? Are you kidding? Get Dwayne Johnson on the phone! Or Zdolph Lundgren! He’d be perfect!

Shnaggles @ 12/10/2011 at 8:52 pm

What?! I just started reading “Reacher” novels this year, and when I saw that Tom Cruise was cast, I gasped in disbelief. I don’t even post on celebrity sites – but this shocked me so much, I had to.

I hope that whomever decided that a short, dark haired actor with little physical resemblance to the character in the book series would be a good choice is reading this, and realizes that they were wrong! I don’t think I’ll be seeing this movie.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] Show All