'Lion King 3D' Tops Box Office

'Lion King 3D' Tops Box Office

The Lion King 3D topped the box office over the weekend, bringing in $29.3 million in ticket sales!

Second place went to Jude Law and Matt Damon‘s Contagion, which had a strong second week with $14.5 million, Variety reports.

Third place went to Ryan Gosling‘s Drive, with $11 million, while Emma Stone‘s The Help had another solid week with $6.4 million in sales.

Kate Bosworth and Alexander Skarsgard‘s Straw Dogs finished in fifth place with $5 million.

WHAT DID YOU SEE at the movies this weekend?

Photos: Disney
Posted to: Box Office

Getty

Julie Wyatt @ 09/18/2011 at 1:55 pm

This week’s MVP: Christina Hendricks
She excels with her performances in ‘Drive’ and ‘I Don’t Know How She Does It’ and proves her talent and once and for all to those who can’t see past her ample cleavage, fuller legs and fuller backside. These roles are taking her to new places – less ‘Mad Men’ and more mainstream movies.

Molly Valance @ 09/18/2011 at 1:59 pm

I would have liked to see ‘Stay Cool’ get a nationwide release. It has an interesting cast with stars who should be doing more mainstream movies – Winona Ryder, Sean Astin, Hilary Duff, Josh Holloway, Jon Cryer, Chevy Chase.

Straw Dogs marks the only return of James Woods to the big screen since An American Carol (2008) and it is so disappointing that they are showing little to nothing of him in it and he hasn’t been promoting the film. I wish he would do more major films like he used to.

Years later and it still manage to be number 1! Amazing!

I hope that Drive’s Ron Perlman only does theatrically released films from now on. He is an underrated actor and shouldn’t be doing straight to DVD films.

Barbie Kate @ 09/18/2011 at 2:20 pm

Drive 11 million in 2900 theaters

Everyone loves Gosling

and a great movie blah blah and blah blah art film

I watched lion king this weekend! I was as amazed with it as i was 14 years ago

Not surprised @ 09/18/2011 at 2:57 pm

Straw Dogs was a BOMB. KB and JM and the fangirls w*t dream AS could not save this movie. I work in a movie theater on the weekends and people were walking out and saying the movie sucked.

not really surprised @ 09/18/2011 at 3:05 pm

You should really re-evaluate your life if you work in a movie theater, on the weekend no less, and have the balls to put down someone else’s work, which is actually much more substantial than anything you could accomplish while selling popcorns and sweeping up someone else’s mess…

@Not really surprised @ 09/18/2011 at 3:36 pm

So because I work in a movie theater I am beneath giving my opinion?
Wow ,talk about balls!
I go to college and I am happy to have the job .I don’t care if you think it is demeaning. I work to help pay some of my bills. Obviously you are above it, but some of us are just trying to get an education without draining our parents dry. I won’t be doing this work forever but I have respect for my co-workers.

People DID walk out of this movie and they DID say it sucked. Deal with it.

Kate Bosworth is a star yeah..top 10 greatness expected…Oscar nom possible

Saw Contagion. Good film.

Straw dogs hit good for kate

Saw Drive this weekend, while I enjoyed the movie it is a completely different film than the trailer would have you believe. If you are expecting a thrill a minute, heart pounding movie, this is not it. The movie moves in slow motion, but you are roused with scenes of extremely graphic violence. Quiet but solid performances from the leads. Not sure why Christina Hendricks was cast, she is in it for all of 6 or 7 minutes. I enjoyed the movie, but definitely bait and switch from what the trailer promises.

I saw Drive yesterday and I really liked it. Albert Brooks is amazing, he gives an oscar-worthy performance. Ryan Gosling is very good as always.

Let's get ready to rumble!!!! @ 09/18/2011 at 5:22 pm

HA! Not Really Surprised GOT TOLD by Not Surprised.

Kate the star….the crowd roared..clap her film…b

Kate the star….the crowd roared..clap her film…best film of year….go Kate b

Hey lohan#1 @ 09/18/2011 at 5:47 pm

Hey lohan#1, are you Kate Bosworth? Because nobody else cares.

And it’s not “Emma Stone’s” it’s Viola Davis the true star that made the movie pretty spectacular.

Saw Straw Dogs… Skarsgard made the film! He was great in it… Looked gorgeous of course. If you are a Skarsgard fan, you’ll like it :)