Michelle Williams: Playing Marilyn Monroe Was Daunting

Michelle Williams: Playing Marilyn Monroe Was Daunting

Michelle Williams makes an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in an episode airing Friday (October 28).

Here’s what the 31-year-old My Week With Marilyn star had share:

On playing Marilyn Monroe: “As soon as I said yes [to the role], I spent the next six months trying to talk myself out of it because it was just so daunting. I was never really a very good student. I didn’t go to school for a terribly long time. I think I’m making up for it now. I worked so hard. I read all the books. I watched the movies. I was obsessed with her. I woke up with her every morning and I went to bed with her every night, in a way.”

On daughter Matilda‘s new puppy: “[The dog's name is] Lucky. [Matilda's] first ideas were … they sounded like stripper names. She wanted something like, Crystal, Gem, or Diamond. At first I was going to be a controlling mom because I was like we can’t have a dog named [that]. Then I was like, you know what, let her have it but then she finally settled on Lucky – which made me feel very lucky.”

Bigger pic inside

michelle williams ellen

Ethan Miller/Getty

[~Fug Face Man!ston~] @ 10/26/2011 at 8:25 pm

..Horrible actress. Bad casting.

I want to see a pic of Matilda & her puppy!

I can’t wait ’til she gets over her Mia Farrow stage.

if only school really was just reading books and the watching movies.

Love Michelle. She is amazing and beautiful! Can’t wait to see the movie.

man shes really desperate for an oscar isnt she

Michelle is a good actress but she doesn’t exude the sex appeal that Marilyn had.

A puppy named…lucky…awww how cute!!

SirteHamilton @ 10/26/2011 at 10:56 pm

MacBook Pro MC024 LLA 17-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 510 USD

MacBook Pro MC373 LLA 15.4-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 485 USD

Nikon F 6 – SLR camera – 35mm 685 USD

Nikon D3000 315 USD

Nikon D3X 985 USD

Canon EOS 5D Mark 565 USD

I like her Mia Farrow stage. She’s very talented actress and nice person, I love her so much

I’m sure the paps will be looking for Matilda and her puppy, she or he has to go out for a walk.

It’s still so sad to think about her celebrating another birthday (ironically on the day Ellen’s show is set to air (Oct 28th) without her father.

I’d like to see the Marilyn movie. I think Michelle did the best she could with this icon

TheofficialJGyllenhaal @ 10/27/2011 at 12:48 pm

Heath was the bad actor and was overrated due to his death and the joker role

anyone going to make birthday video for Matilda 6th birthday?
I thought it was her 7th

yeah right @ 10/27/2011 at 2:37 pm

@TheofficialJGyllenhaal: oh just stfu heath ledger troll ERBALTINT. nobody gives a crap about your ravings you lunatic.

TheofficialJGyllenhaal @ 10/27/2011 at 3:11 pm

@yeah right:
Go take your pills you lunatic! erbalwho?? get a life

my 2 cents @ 10/27/2011 at 3:56 pm

If any of you dont like Michelle/Heath dont come to articles and write mean things .Cant we all just get along without using
profanity

Wow, most people that come to this site and leave comments are just horrible.

Matilda is a very unfortunate name for a sweet little baby.

@aabbcc: I like her name. At least it’s not some off the wall weird name alot of celebs are naming their kids.

@madmax: I agree. It’s so sad she won’t remember him.

at least we know that he is still around her :) michelle takes care about that.

“On a bright and sweltering Sunday, I meet Williams at the three-story brownstone in Boerum Hill where she lives with her daughter, Matilda. Reminders of Heath Ledger, from whom Williams was separated when he died in 2008, are everywhere—in family photos, in the oversize stuffed animals that he bought for Matilda, in the large, brooding mountainscape by the Australian photographer Bill Henson that hangs in the living room. The most vivid reminder, of course, is Matilda herself, a spirited, sunny six-year-old whose face, a felicitous mix of both her parents, lights up when Williams walks into the room. “Supermommy!” she shouts, running to throw her arms around her mother’s waist. “Hiya, Superdaughter,” Williams says, kneeling down to kiss her forehead. “

@Anne:
This rant of yours is not going to change what Michelle Williams did to Heath Ledger with her lawyers before he passed away and it certainly won’t put her in the ranks with talented actors to win an oscar.