Gerard Butler Set to Star in 'Thunder Run'

Gerard Butler Set to Star in 'Thunder Run'

Gerard Butler is teaming up with Matthew McConaughey and Sam Worthington for the upcoming film Thunder Run.

The all CG 3D action thriller “aims to recount the capture of Baghdad by American forces at the start of the Iraq War in 2003. The three-day assault was referred as a ‘lightning strike’ or thunder run,’” according to THR.

The mag adds that producers hope to paint “the harrowing picture of the soldiers on the front lines and the realities of modern warfare.”

The flick is based on the novel Thunder Run – The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad, which was written by Pulitzer Prize-winning correspondent David Zucchino and Mark Bowden.

Credit: Dave Hogan, Kevin Winter, Charley Gallay; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Gerard Butler, Matthew McConaughey, Sam Worthington

Ethan Miller/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All
Can'tGetEnough @ 10/27/2011 at 5:03 pm

Well finally!!

Can'tGetEnough @ 10/27/2011 at 5:05 pm

Good combo with the three of them? I think so. The women will flock to see it!! =)

I’m used to see Matthew in comedy movies so this one will be surprinsing.

Hotness overload! :)

@Can’tGetEnough:
Most definitely I will :)

If they want to make this into a true impactful film….they should take away the 3D part. It has already ruined too many films.

“will be the “first ever conventional war film made to utilize this revolutionary facial and motion capture technology and state of the art CG and 3D.”

What are “facial and motion capture technology”?

Yea for Butler’s new project!

Boo to JJ for posting this without any new photos lol.

They seem to have gone for style over substance with this 3D nonsense and with the actors. The book was a very emotive and powerful one, it just seems Hollywood want to turn it into a generic ‘action thriller’ in 3D. Already, I don’t hold out much hope for this….

God Bless yoou all! @ 10/27/2011 at 6:56 pm

Philippians 4:6,7

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Matthew and Gerry have worked together before and now Gerry and him are at least equals. What a differerence a few (wink) years make. Matthew is hot off The Lincoln Lawyer, which was excellent by the way. Add to that Sam Worthington hot off an excellent performance in The Debt, with Gerry hot off Machine Gun Preacher and Coriolanus and what I see is a terrific dynamic three-some with a timely topic! Yay!
~K

Will this “facial and motion capture tech” be the same technology used in Avatar in which we can tell the blue figures resemble Zoe Saldana and Sam Worthington but they are sort of cartoonish and distorted a little? I think I just answered my own question.

His leather mail satchel office on the run carry-all has weathered much similar to him….
~K
who knows the satchel, and contents, went to the Taj and that’s all the matters :o)

I’m sure at least one of these men will tickle a womans fancy,if not all three.However due to the subject matter of the film.I’m not holding out much hope for a big box office draw.I’ll keep my fingers crossed though.I’m tired of paying extra money at the movies for 3D when I can’t tell the difference between 3D and a regular movie.

That is “that matters” Heavens… rushing… never mind… I am unedited… but saw the link (here) then remembered seeing his carrying it recently with its weathered appearance, and well thought I’d share how it is still with him showing there are some things, no matter what, he cannot let go of… and that includes people… especially people.
~K

All the little clones

curious cat @ 10/27/2011 at 9:12 pm

@pippin:

Don’t forget Reign of Fire. Matthew was almost unrecognizable in that and it wasn’t funny.

curious cat @ 10/27/2011 at 9:15 pm

@pippin:

Evening All! A Trifecta of Male Pulchritude! Rating in hotness – my opinion only JJers : Butler, Worthington, McConaughey. All are handsome, manly guys – not pretty boys like, I hate to say this, Pitt.

Someone I know just finished this book said it was an amazing read!

Reign of Fire was great : Bale, Butler, McConaughey : post-apocolyptic world besieged by dragons. Fun.

curious cat @ 10/27/2011 at 9:35 pm

@pippin:

Don’t forget “Reign of Fire.’ That wasn’t funny and Matthew was barely recognizable asa cigar chomping soldier of fortune with a shaved head.

curious cat @ 10/27/2011 at 9:36 pm

Oops. What hoppen? Three same posts. Sorry. Computer is acting up again.

curious cat @ 10/27/2011 at 9:55 pm

@niknoks:

My first impression is like yours, Niknoks. But I haven’t read the book. Of course we all know some wonderful books can become trashy movies. Somehow the last few times there have been rumors that GB is to sign on to this film or that, , I felt, oh no. Partly I think I don’t like to see him become just another American actor in the same kinds of noisy films that fill our theater seats and the moneybags of producers but not our souls, hearts and minds. He was himself, when he arrived on these shores, a Scottish actor, uniquely interesting, and seems increasingly swallowed up by Hollywood.
That vague statement made, I’d be hard put to say what role I’d like to see him in. No reason he should play only Scots. But H-Wood seems to produce so many bangbang, blow ‘em up macho action films and inane chick flicks and unfunny dimwit comedies by the usual suspects “great” movies seems like an oxymoron.
I don’t see Brad Pitt as a pretty boy, btw. Especially as he’s grown older. He’s supposed to deliver a hell of a performance in his latest, Moneyball. I haven’t seen it. I’ve been very consumed by a pile of tasks I need to get done in real life.
MGP still shows no signs of coming here and it makes me mad!!! : (

@curious cat: just about to post something similar, and you’ve beaten me to it! Action, yuk; CG, double yuk; 3D, a definite no-no for me!
It sounds like a film jumping on the bandwagon of all the latest trickery, with no potential value added to the story. A complete turn off for me. One for the computer games kids.
Why does gb go for this stuff? Money? New project rumours so far showing little benefit from his recent stretching. I’d hate to see him become just a second rate HW clone and lose his pre-HW uniqueness and taste. I’m not ashamed to say that in the last few months I’ve seen nearly all his available back catalogue, and much prefer his UK made/UKcast/pre HW stuff.

Hmmh, wait a minute, do they (Sam and Gerard) do two film together, i mean what was that Hunter Killer news?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All