Eddie Murphy: Oscars Hosting Gig Withdrawn

Eddie Murphy: Oscars Hosting Gig Withdrawn

Eddie Murphy has withdrawn as host of the 2012 Academy Awards, it was announced on Wednesday (November 9).

“First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each party’s decision with regard to a change of producers for this year’s Academy Awards ceremony,” the 50-year-old actor said in a statement.

“I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job,” Eddie added.

The news comes after Brett Ratner resigned as a producer of the telecast on Tuesday after using a gay slur.

The 2012 Oscars will air on Sunday, February 26, 2012. No word on who the new host will be!

Valerie Macon/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

Damn man. It would have been really interesting to see if Eddie Murphy, one of the greatest stand up comics of all time, still had it. I’m disappointed. I might not even bother to watch this year, honestly.

bobbyweiner @ 11/09/2011 at 2:22 pm

wow should have kept Ratner, I applaud Eddie for leaving…the hypocrisy in Hollywood….they can’t take a gay joke but award child rapist with awards

This is very sad. I’m sorry to hear this but as long as he only does movies for adults from now on, it is good enough for me.
It will be interesting to see if they select one or two young rising actors to host again like last time or one or two comedians.

I DIDN’T HAVE THE TIME TO COME OVER AND SAY HELLO!!!!! HAHAHA

LOVE,
BUSY DRINKING!!!!! HAHAHA BUT I SAID HELLO TO SOMEONE ELSE AT ANOTHER PARTY!!!!! HAHAHA GUESS WHO!!!!!???? HAHAHA

@bobbyweiner: That’s because most of the higher “uppers” are homosexual pedophiles. No joke.

Am I missing something here? Bret Ratner (the director of EM’s latest movie) made a politically incorrect gay slur, is being pulled or pulled out as a producer of the Oscars and EM is the one paying the price? Guilt by association? Whatever the case, BR seems like a classless jerk with minimal talent and a huge ego. Too bad for EM.

THE DRINKS ARE ON THE HOUSE!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA PARTY!!!!!! HAHAHHAAH BANG BANG BOOM BOOM!!!!! HAHAHA

LOVE,
HAHA

Who cares? The Academy Awards show is a joke anyway. It’s not about the most talented actors, it’s all about public relations, fashion choices, and self-absorbed tools patting each other backs.

Well this makes sense once BR was out. After the Dreamgirls ish Eddie does not owe the Oscars anything. As for the Oscar show…after the O’Brien/Leno debacle I was off both, but lately, I am Team Coco and have faith that his writing team could come up with something entertaining.

Please no actors who are not also renowned comics and no to Ellen Degeneres…

Anonymous @ 11/09/2011 at 2:41 pm

Get Russell Brand!!!!!

Wow…Good for Eddie…bad news for The Oscars!

I wonder how Don Rickles, Red Foxx and comics back in the day would fair now. Rickles was relentless with his humor and attacked all races, sexes…it eased tensions back then…things were supposed to get better as we progress…but they haven’t.

My brother –who is black and gay…believes as I….Ratner apologized and they should’ve moved on…his intent was –a joke.

That said…I was ONLY watching for Eddie…it would have been refreshing.

Good luck finding a host….BTW–Tower Heist was great!

GLADD $$$$$$$ @ 11/09/2011 at 2:56 pm

GLADD should focus on the Rampant GAY Pedophilia in Hollywood instead of making MONEY off the (I’m $ooooo Offended) Gay Card…$$$$

GLADD $$$$$$$ @ 11/09/2011 at 2:57 pm

@bobbyweiner:

Good point on the awarding a child rapist .

@Anonymous:

RUSSEL BRAND SUUUUCKS!

Well he was the ONLY reason I was excited to watch next year. Not gonna happen now.

who cares about mega rich EM or slob Rat-ner.
Oscars are a joke.
They have TV actors present awards.
Or bad flop ex actor to get smarmy gosip of real 2 people awarded for their craft.
Come on…
I just hope the Academy recognizes Tree of Life.
That film was a trip and so different.Made you really think and dwell on your life & childhood.
Fabulous.
Mr. Malick I’m afraid is too not into the brown nosing game so most likely it will not be nominated OR if so, not win. :(

Oh lord. No one cares. At this point, the Oscars were going to help Eddie out more than he was going to help the Oscars. I’m sure they’ll find an equally unfunny star with a slowly dying career to fill his shoes. They should just have Hugh Jackman do it again. He’s been the only decent host in years.

good riddance- Murphy was a fifth rate Richard Pryor at his peak- he would have sucked anyway.

Hypocrisy @ 11/09/2011 at 3:54 pm

Hollywood makes all kinds of excuses for freakish and deviant behavior but you can’t say the word Maggot cause the Fascists come out to destroy careers while lining thier pockets…Rolls Eyes.

Not Surprised @ 11/09/2011 at 4:00 pm

Agreed, the Oscars have been a JOKE.
These so called “Oscar Worthy” roles are given to a handful of Left Wing Political Activists that masquerade as “Actors”.

This wasn’t only about Ratner making a gay slur. The slur was bad enough, but if it was only that I think they would’ve got past it. This was about Ratner being completely out of control. He has a serious problem with drugs, alcohol or both. He has been talking crazy, saying terrible things about Olivia Munn, and getting sexually explicit in other ways that are way beyond acceptable.

I think Ratner was forced out because he needs to get himself in rehab before he has a full out “Mel Gibson type” meltdown in public. I can understand why Eddie dropped out. As Eddie said, they will get a new producer who will have his own ideas and his own writers and should be able to pick his own host.

So it’s ok for a jerk like Ratner to sexually accost women looking for a job.
It’s also OK to overlook incest and pedophilia in Hweird but not ok to say the word Maggot.
What’s wrong with this industry.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All