Taylor Swift: 'Les Miserables' with Amanda Seyfried?

Taylor Swift: 'Les Miserables' with Amanda Seyfried?

Taylor Swift has been offered the role of Eponine in the upcoming film adaptation of the musical Les Miserables, out December 7, 2012.

Glee‘s Lea Michele, Scarlett Johansson, and Evan Rachel Wood also reportedly auditioned for the role, according to Twitch.

Amanda Seyfried was also offered the role of Cosette (the daughter of Fantine, which will be played by Anne Hathaway).

Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Helena Bonham Carter, Sacha Baron Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, and Aaron Tveit have already signed onto the project, which will be helmed by The King’s Speech director Tom Hooper.

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Taylor Swift and Amanda Seyfried joining the cast of Les Miserables?

I think that Lea Michele deserve the role of Eponine. C’mom Taylor, serious ?

Taylor Swift has no depth to play Eponine, the girl can’t act and can’t belt. In fact, she can’t even sing her own songs. I had hopes in this movie although Anne Hathaway is in this and Russel Crowe is no Javert but are they seriously expecting this to be an Oscar contender with this casting? Plus, I love Amanda but she can’t open a movie. It’s obvious that they gave it to Taylor because they want the money from her fans. This is laughable.

Also, Tom Hooper is a moron. He’s not a good director and has just lost all credibility after the casting of Taylor Swift.

What? Taylor can’t act!!!!!!

I hope this movie flops so the joke that Tom Hooper is stops making movies. The King’s Speech was awful and the only great part was its cast.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH this is a joke right? Taylor Swift is gonna ruin this but this movie was dead from the start with Tom Hooper directing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

if she’s smart, she’s not going to take it. but she’s not sooooo

Why not?! Love them both… <3

I don’t know, I men I love Taylor Swift but come on…. over Lea Michele? As Eponine? You’ve got to be kidding me.

I love Taylor so much but c’mon.taylor can’t act.

@Taty: @mel: @Elle: @flor: @Ash: WHY COMPLAINING? Can you act? then if you think you can? call Hollywood now! so you will be Eponine. so the film will not be flop, and Yes I’m a Taylor Swift fan. :P

@wonderstruck to paulie: it shows, honey. And sadly, you have no idea what you’re stanning for.

What?? They don’t have the ass

Casting Taylor Swift over Lea Michele is just crazy. Swift can’t act, just look at what she’s been in, ugh.

TAYLOR SWIFT IS REALLY BAD AT ACTING.THEY CAST HER ONLY BECAUSE SHE HAS MILLIONS OF FANS.THAT S ALL.I HATE HER.

I HATE TAYLOR SWIFT,IS REALLY BAD.

I HATE TAYLOR SWIFT.I WANT TO DIE.

I HATE TAYLOR SWIFT.I WANT TO DIE.

taylor swift is way too happy-go-lucky to play eponine, definitely dont think she has the emotional depth or acting chops for the part

i can just imagine her death being overdramatic but ending with a smile on her face as she lies in marius’ arms

MARIUS YOU BELONG WITH MEEEE no taylor stop

I think Lea deserves it, I mean she’s done it before! that’s gotta count for something right? I like Taylor but i think is not her game.. Not her music.
And Amanda, I’m a HUGE fan, I really hope she takes it!

Sorry, but I find BOTH Amanda and Taylor annoying as hell. Swift can’t act, and only sings one twangy kind of song. Seyfried is just so overrated. Just so disappointed; definitely won’t be seeing this. They threw quality away for money. Disgusting.

well if this is true this is one more movie I will not see.

i am a HUGE taylor swift fan, but even so i dont think taylor is right for the part. im not being mean(i love her!), but after seeing her acting in Valentine’s Day i dont think she’ll do this role justice.
Lea Michele would’ve been a much better option, she can sing, dance and act.

@wonderstruck to paulie:

No, they can’t act. Nobody says they can.
But they’re not out there pretending they can.

camomilleb @ 01/04/2012 at 7:58 am

I’m French, I’m a huge fan of the musical, honestly hiring Taylor Swift as Eponine is the worst thing that could happen to the film adaptation. Eponine is a dark and desperate character…. I’m disappointed

taylor swift hahahahaha wat a joke, her music is rubbish and her acting she can’t act why is this gal even famous?

I like Taylor Swift and all, but she isn’t the greatest of actors and she doesn’t have the pipes to really belt out a song. Out of those options definitely Lea Michele. And I would rather they find somebody else besides Amanda Seyfried. I used to really like her but she has been really crap in the acting department lately. Did anybody see “In Time”?

I think Taylor is a talented woman but she does not have the vocal chops to sing this role. Nor does Amanda as Cosette.

aquarius64 @ 01/04/2012 at 8:26 am

Taylor Swift anywhere near a Tony-winning musical is a joke. The studio was going for stunt casting, just like Kristen Stewart for Snow White and the Huntsman. The studio is hoping Swift’s fans will put butts in the seats, thus driving up box offfice returns.

eponine is such a dark caracter, i mean did they read the book? she is described as skinny, missing some teeth, she is basicaly the face of misery, she is a symbol and they want taylor swift playing her! seriously!

To all Taylor-Haters: GET OUT OF HER PAGE AND GO LOOK YOURSELF AT A MIRROR YOU IMMATURE CREATURES.

Taylor Swift is not an actress. The director should cast people who can act first, then sing. Amanda Seyfried has proven herself as a good actress in roles such as Chloe and Big Love. I think she has a good voice (as heard in Mamma Mia!). Give her the role!

One of the worst casting decisions ever.

Did I understand it correctly? Amanda is supposed to play the daughter of Anne – they are only 3 or so years apart – sounds strange to me, but I don’t think this are the final casting decisions (or hope so).

@paul: the king’s speech was great! tom has to keep this level of making movies and it could be great. but i think taylor would be the worst choice….take scarlett!!! i love her <3

and it would be soooo great to hear hugh and russell singing together!!!!

camomilleb @ 01/04/2012 at 9:54 am

@S.:

It doesn’t matter if Anne plays Fantine and Amanda Cosette, her character dies early in the story when her daughter is only a child. Amanda plays a grown-up Cosette.

loverducky @ 01/04/2012 at 10:05 am

Aside from Aaron Tveit, I think most of the casting thus far has been rather questionable. Taylor Swift being cast would be a travesty. She has nowhere near the chops to play that role…and doesn’t really tick off any of the boxes for it, physically and talent wise. I think this movie has been a long time coming, and so far, it’s a disappointment,

jacqueline @ 01/04/2012 at 10:06 am

So they have an amazing story, an amazing cast and want to ruin it by casting TAYLOR SWIFT? Seriously?! I mean, these are all rumours, but still.
Lea can sing (I know Amanda and Evan can, I just don’t know if they are good enough) and she’s played Eponine before (on Broadway I think) so…
Yeah, I thought it was going to be FANTASTIC but Taylor Swift… NO.

Taylor Swift’s vocals are far too weak to belt any of Eponine’s songs. Lea Michele should have gotten that role.

And Amanda Seyfried is annoying and also proved to the world that she cannot sing in Mamma Mia!, so who in their right mind would cast her in ANOTHER musical movie!?

UGH, the only redeeming factor about this thing is Aaron Tveit, Hugh Jackman and Eddie Redmayne.

Taylor auditioned for the role and won against strong competition. Unless the people trashing her saw the audition or know what the director was looking for I am not sure how they can say Taylor is wrong.for the role. In any case congrats to both Taylor and Amanda.

Did Taylor get the role based on popularity?

loverducky @ 01/04/2012 at 10:43 am

@lisa:

Because we know the role of Eponine, and have heard Taylor sing before, and seen her act before…and unless she has been suppressing some sort of major vocal ability, it’s not hard to see she is not right for the part.

Did Gyllenhaal help her get the job?

Sorry but this is a huge dissappointment. Amanda Seyfried, I have no problem. LOVE her. As for Taylor Swift, what were they thinking? Lea Michele is waaay more talented. Plus, she played young Cossette on Broadway. I mean c’mon, she’s a BROADWAY actress. She can sing AND act. Something Taylor Swift can’t do. Sorry but I’ll only be seing this for Aaron Tveit.

@loverducky: Yeah people always say that. I know the role or character and this actor or actress doesn’t fit it. I remember the trashing that Heath Ledger got and Daniel Craig got for taking on the roles of The Joker and Bond and they were both terrific. The role was not handed to her and since she beat out other very talented people she obviously brought something to the audition that the director wanted for the role. Taylor could be absolutely terrific or she could be a mistake. Until the movie is complete we will have no idea which one it will be. Also we don’t even know if Taylor’s performance will be the least of the film’s problem. The best thing to do is wait and see before rendering judgement.

No! Evan Rachel Wood should be!

@lisa: the director sees the part as gamine and waify looking that’s why they offered the part to Evan Rachel Wood way before they offered it to Taylor, but she didn’t take it (wise move).

for all those saying that Taylor aduitoned, she did not. The director always saw the character as gamine and waify looking like laura said above me and auditioned Evan RAchel Wood for the part and loved her but she turned it down so he started working with Taylor. He’s preparing her, NOT auditioning her. I assume it means she was sent to take acting classes and they’re working together around Eponine’s depth.

loverducky @ 01/04/2012 at 12:44 pm

@lisa:

I am not certain that she auditioned. And, I am sorry, but this is different..there are always going to be people who disagree with casting for any movie, but this is a musical that has been established for 25 years, and requires at least a certain vocal ability, acting aside. It is not too difficult to tell when someone does not fit the mold..when you have heard the extent of their singing ability. I like to partake in musicals, but I know that there are certain roles that I would not be suited for, because of my voice. I do get where you are coming from though, I defend the people I like too..We will just have to agree to disagree.

Um, have they seen Valentine’s Day??
lolol
They’re crazy retarded.

LOL—–This is the joke of the century—Taylor Swift acting and singing???????? Valentine’s Day bombed—Taylor was terrible—and she can not sing the songs she wrote on key, much less hit the right notes in ANY song. Maybe she thinks she can pull it off since she has been acting like a 15 year old girl all along to keep her little fans. This is one movie my friends and I will not see at all. Not a Swift fan as we like singers to be able to SING—and if Swift wants to compete with singers then she needs to learn how to sing–and if she wants to act then she needs to take major acting classes–and I doubt if either one will help her at all. She is pathetic.

OMG WTF!!!!!!! This is such bullsh!t, casting Taylor Swift is PURELY for promotional reasons. They are hoping all her fans will go see this now, because she does have A LOT of fans. This is such BULL. I am so not going to see this movie now, Lea Michele is so much better in every level, i really hope this movie flops so people can learn to cast actors for their abilities and NOT for their fan base.

They can find a better Eponine. Not Taylor Swift, Amanda Seyfried OR Lea Michele. I don’t like any of them, or their voices. Taylor can’t sing at all, neither can Amanda. Lea can, but not as well as everyone thinks. She’s good, but not enough for Eponine. I mean, come on. Find someone who’s new and isn’t famous as opposed to just settling on a celebrity for their name.

Are you serious? They gave Taylor Swift a role in a musical over Lea Michele. Lea Michele can act and sing circles around Taylor Swift. And Amanda Seyfried?! I’ve heard her sing in Mamma Mia, she wasn’t very good. They should put talent over hype and here they’ve put hype over talent. I don’t think this version of Les Miserables is going to turn out well.

Taylor Swift? Really? Really? She needs to GTFO!

I am a tried and true theatre junkie and even I can see the merit of bringing a Taylor Swift to this cast. She is a superstar name and has dabbled into a variety of arenas with incredible success. It always boils down to the audition and it would appear that Ms. Swift nailed it.

I hope she gets the part! It would only make Les Mis better for me!!

Taylor STARTED in music theatre before she became famous guys. You have no idea what you’re talking about. She may sing country/pop now but I KNOW she can handle this role. You’ll see if you just give her a chance. It sounds like a lot of you are theatre kids and you think you know what the director should have done here, but I’m telling you that you will be surprised at her ability to handle this music. She already has. She played Maria in The Sound of Music, Sandy in Grease, Kim in Bye Bye Birdie, and was an orphan in Annie. She can do this and she will whether you rant on here or not. Great, unexpected choice. My hat is off to the director.

@kimmy:
I completely agree with you. Does anyone need more proof than this?

Wow. How hateful. What a pity.

I agree Tim. What a pity. There’s nothing but a nasty pack of wolves here on this site. No wonder children are committing suicide. Shame, shame on all of you.

taylor obviously suc ked some c ock for the part, after all she is proven quite the s lut. she is a LOUSY choice

Taylor is a great choice! I really believe she can pull this off. Best of luck!

Lea Michele is dying for this part.

Taylor will be perfect for the role of Eponine. Taylor’s singing voice is perfect for “On My Own.” I really hope she accepts the offer for the role!

Give her a chance. She may surprise you all.

I agree with Cassie. Taylor may do very well in the role. As for Lea Michele, maybe this will help put her nose back in joint.

LiaMichelleIsReallyWeird @ 01/04/2012 at 8:50 pm

Come on!!! I know that Taylor Swift like can’t act! But Lia Michelle has been in a movie recently already…. And last time Tay was in a movie… well it had to be at least 2008! Give her a chance! Shes better at acting then any of you idiots! SO THERE :p

irene olson @ 01/04/2012 at 10:13 pm

Taylor Swift – you’ve got to be kidding. The girl cannot sing; if it wasn’t for the tweens being in awe of her clothes and swinging hair, she would be working at McDonald’s. And her acting skills are worse than her singing. Check her acting when she was on CSI – PATHETIC. She is so overrated. They must be going to sign her to try and sell tickets to the tweens. Bad, bad choice.

seyfried is gorgeous

Maybe the reason why Taylor Swift last did a movie in 2008 is because she’s not that good.

Come on, guys. Be nice….or is that too much to ask?

Yes! Taylor Swift can’t sing, can’t act but they offered it to her. How about the others? You guys voted to be Eponine.. They auditioned right? in short people who make the decision for the role they never think Lea Michele, Scarlet Johansson etc.. they decided that Taylor Swift is the right which is because Taylor is popular. Even though it will be flop as what you think they still have $$$ to get because of Taylor Swift fans.

loverducky @ 01/05/2012 at 12:54 am

@Debbie:

I, for one do not think I have said anything hateful. I am not jealous, as everyone seems to think when someone says something against someone they like. I have not said anything about her as a person..she seems lovely. I have not said she is not talented…I am speaking simply on the casting of one particular, well known part…as a performer, I don’t think it should cause one do anything akin to committing suicide, because certain people don’t think you are right for a part…that is the business…Just speaking for myself.

A movie based on a musical based on a movie based on a book…. LOL Les Mis (or Les Miserable for the purist, LOL) isn’t some sort of holy cultural icon. It is the ultimate in pop culture though. So Taylor Swift? Sure, why not. Pretty sure the world wont fall in on itself

Amanda would make a great Javert.

Taylor can’t sing that good or act..So sad..I really had high hopes for this movie…..

Erm, no. I will still prefer Lea Michele over Taylor anytime.

Erm, I’m not a huge fan of Lea but I will still prefer her over Taylor anytime.

Omg all you taylor haters; STFU
Have you guys even seen taylor act?
She’s amazing!..
Plus if she cant sing, then why did she have a sold out tour. So all you haters should get off your computers and get a freakin life!

I REALLY HATE TAYLOR SWIFT.SHE CAN T SING,SHE HAS BAD SONGS,SHE HAS SMALL EYES ,AND NOW WILL BE IN A MOVIE??? IS A REALLY BAD IDEA.

I love Taylor but it’s so hard trying to imagine her voice singing Eponine songs. Lea Michele is no doubt perfect for this role.

Such a bad decision…. BAD! Leah should have this part hands down. Taylor is sooooo weak!!!! Movie will totally suck with her presence.

Wow such negativity ….Happy New Year …..
Guess Everyone is a critic. A lot of talent
in this Movie.

Good Luck to Taylor and the rest of the cast!

Did it ever occur that maybe Tom Hooper the director knows something you don’t -that Taylor Swift CAN act and sing. And her presence in the movie will introduce this story to a new generation of fans all over the world.

Gurn Blanston @ 01/05/2012 at 2:39 pm

Why you gotta be so mean? I love Taylor as do millions of others. I was at her 50,000 plus stadium show in Dallas this year and let me tell you that girl can sing. So give her a chance, even if you know nothing about her and are going with those standard put-downs that are so cliche. She won the role. It wasn’t given to her.

speaktruth @ 01/05/2012 at 3:19 pm

@speaktruth: why is my comment awaiting moderation? o.0

@wonderstruck to paulie:

Yes, you’re a Taylor Swift fan but not a Musical Theatre fan. No offense to Taylor, I like some of her music, but she doesn’t have the acting skills or the voice to pull of this character. Lea Michelle has done it before and can damn well do it again.

Gurn Blanston @ 01/06/2012 at 1:39 pm

Never seen or really cared about Les Miserables, but given this outpouring of excess estrogen, I will now buy a ticket to see what all the fuss is about.

If they r gonna offer Taylor Swift is part of Eponine, why not offer Justin Bieber the part of Marius, that would make about as much sense!

bethmarie @ 01/21/2012 at 8:14 pm

Either find a new cast, or cancel the movie.
Lea Michele should be Eponine, and the chick who played Johanna in Sweeney Todd should play Cosette. If they do cast Taylor as Eponine, I’ll kill myself.

@irene olson: sorry i didnt mean to dislike your comment i hit it by accident :s i completely agree with you comment

Les Miserables is the best, most beautiful musical ever written…I’ve seen it live twice, once on Broadway and once on tour and have tickets to see it again in it’s anniverary tour next month. I think the film cast is WONDERFUL, For those who don’t know, Amanda Seyfried has a wonderful voice, as seen in Mamma Mia!, and Russell Crowe has fronted his own band for years, long before he was a star. Anne Hathaway has a lovey voice and, well, what can you say about the fabulous Hugh Jackman as Valjean? BUT, I was REALLY disappointed to hear that Talor Swift is playing my favorite Broadway musical character of all time and singing my very favorite song, “On My Own”!!! Lea Michele would own that role!!! She sang it on the very first episode of GLEE to audition for the glee cllub, Taylor is a sweet young woman with a suitable country voice, but she if NOT Eponine material in any respect!

I hate reading all the comments about how Taylor Swift can’t act or isn’t good enough to have this part, because she hasn”t even been given the chance to act in a movie like this. Can all of you guys act?

Give Her a chance! If you don’t how is she suppose to act? I<3 Amanda and Anne Yes also I like Taylor. :-)