Gerard Butler: Surfing Accident Was A 'Close Call'

Gerard Butler: Surfing Accident Was A 'Close Call'

Gerard Butler ducks out of The Box nightclub on Friday (January 6) in London, England.

The night before, the 42-year-old Scottish actor attended a special screening of his new movie Coriolanus.

Gerard also recently appeared on The Graham Norton Show where he talked about his scary surfing accident while filming his other movie, Of Men and Mavericks, in Northern California.

“[The waves] just took me in, and I couldn’t get up. It was pretty hairy. It was maybe of of the few times that reports were not exaggerated. It was a pretty close call,” he shared.

“I was actually in the ambulance and wanted to go back, which was a little crazy. But [surfing is] pretty addictive,” Gerry added.

FYI: Gerard is wearing Joe’s Classic Fit with Rogue‘s leather biker jacket.

gerard butler box nightclub 01

Pages: « 14 5 6 [7] 8 9 1032 » Show All
New Year's wisdom @ 01/08/2012 at 3:18 pm

“A wise man hears one word and understands two.” <3
-Jewish proverb

curious cat @ 01/08/2012 at 3:20 pm

@Can’tGetEnough:

“Moira? I think she’s harmless really. She seems like a nice woman, but did you see his face when she blurted out that the pic of him was taken in Hawaii? He was like “omg, you KNEW that?” LOL It was kinda funny, but he looked taken back by it—-but tried to do it in sort of a nice way.”

Hell, I knew that was taken off Maui, but I LiVE in Hawaii. So I remembered. I don’t remember where or when every pic of him I see was taken. But the ones in Hawaii I do, and SHE is a Superfan! And he knows it. He said she follows him everywhere and made a joke of it. Said she should answer his questions and correct him when he got it wrong. Frankly, I didn’t find her out of line in singing that out about the kilt and I thought he was very gracious about it. It made entertainment.

I do think the guy is (as a teacher of mine used to say “starting to begin to commence to learn to” ) wear his fame better than he used to and deal with the fallout. He acknowledged this woman as a person. He didn’t diss her. She clearly basked in the recognition. And I don’t give a RA. I’m way better looking than she, if I do say so myself, and don’t spend my time or money chasing stars all over the place, I just don’t feel any problem about her having a moment in the sun with her hero. This isn’t rocket surgery.

Earlier today I got a message in my email from another website in which someone commented on a comment I made several months ago, after GB was interviewed by Howard Stern. I had said Stern irritated me because he corrected his sidekick Robin not once but several times on the pronunciation of GB’s name. She said GER ard, and Howard corrected her Ger AARD insistently. GB has talked about this so many times. Can’t people say his name as he would like?

Anyhoo, this poster said Robin said JARED. I posted back that I heard it differently and we could argue about it till the cows come home, but regardless she was trying to do it right and he was being an arrogant p*ick. Not that I think much of Robin. She works for that jerk after all.

But it brings up the point that we not only SEE things differently, we HEAR them differently.

I saw a bit on TV last night in which people interpreted the words on a jingle in an ad. They were so far afield it was funny. To me the phrase was totally clear. But I’ve misinterpreted stuff too,

There is a Gordon Lightfoot song in which I heard the line, “If you get a DEATH THREAT tell it to the Eskimoes.” It seemed to make sense in the context of the song. I learned later DEATH THREAT was actually HOT TIP. I liked DEATH THREAT better. :) More dramatic. :)

Can'tGetEnough @ 01/08/2012 at 3:30 pm

@curious cat: I remember when Robin said it and I took it that she said it correctly. Not Jared, but in the same way you thought. I cringed when Howard corrected her.

I’m actually wondering why GB acted surprised at Moira because he obviously knows her very well and he shouldn’t be surprised about her comments. I wouldn’t follow him all over like she does, but maybe he likes to turn and see a familiar face in the fan crowd once in awhile? He might really. I don’t think that he thinks badly of her and I don’t take it that he thinks she’s ‘stalking’ him either. I thought his reaction to the kilt comment was kinda cute actually.

@curious cat: Your right when you say Moira is harmless. She has followed him around by his own admission and he didn’t act in the least like he takes her as a threat, maybe a little nutsy. He was not unkind to her in any way and yes he was suprised that she knew where the picture was taken. Her yelling out about the kilt gave him a chance to tell his story. Well she has accomplished one thing by being his fan he recognizes her when he sees her. Look at her face pure joy at the recognition.

@Can’tGetEnough: CGE, sorry I thought Cat said she was harmless, I realize she was agreeing with you. Since Gerry is familiar with her and recognizes her because he said she follows him around, if he thought she was any kind of threat he would have taken some sort of action by now. I think he likes the adolation as long as it stays harmless.

@GFW:

Orrr he could have just went to a club that many many go to for fun. It’s crazy how these pictures of him leaving The Box are being so picked apart and analyzed. I very much doubt he’s concerned about our opinions in any way.

Maybe when he asked her if she moved from Scotland to America he was making sure he had enough space between them. Who knows!! She was a little bold at the show so maybe Gerry was taking mental notes about her.

@ CGE, I need your expertise. WO has found a video about Mavericks from youtube. Maybe you can post it here and all of JJ can hear what the surfers have to say about the waves. This video will show us just what Gerry got caught in. Serious stuff, no wonder he gets emotional when thinking about it.

Joie de Vivre @ 01/08/2012 at 5:44 pm

@lolita: Maybe I can help, Lolita, fingers crossed…….

The first one is WHEW!!!! I get it now….I get the adrenaline rush and heart-stopping fear that are involved with surfing. XXO

@Joie de Vivre: Thank you Joie, that first video is the one I am taking about, as Gerry would say hairy. I know when I try to cut and paste and share there is someone out there is cyber space saying who the heck is lolita and why is she sending me stuff on Gerard Butler!! I ‘lll get it down pat one of these days. Thanks again.

Joie de Vivre @ 01/08/2012 at 6:02 pm

@lolita: You’re most welcome, love! It’s not too often that I can contribute anything, but I have mastered cutting and pasting now…LOL! You’re funny. If they only knew how lucky they are to be getting stuff from Lolita on Gerard Butler!!! XXO

@Joie de Vivre: Thanks, Joie, you are a gem♥♥♥

Can'tGetEnough @ 01/08/2012 at 6:06 pm

@lolita: You’ll figure it out Lolita! =)

@Joie de Vivre: Thanks for steppin’ in Joie and posting the videos for Lolita! I was out to dinner celebrating my daughter’s birthday (she was supposed to be a New Years baby but I ran a week late LOL) and I saw it, but couldn’t do it from my iPhone.

Here’s a nice video with clips from some of G’s films:

@Can’tGetEnough: Thanks, CGE and Happy Birthday to your Daughter on her special day♥

@Moi:
I had that scenario in one of my (cough) many postings today!
Maybe not everyone but few he does care what their opinions are.
~K
who feels Gerry knows the politics of the game and plays it smarter than many other actors

redOctober @ 01/08/2012 at 6:55 pm

@Can’tGetEnough:

A very Happy Birthday to your dear girl ; )

@GFW:

I apologise I’m not sure what it is you mean by your first sentence.

As to the rest: I’m sure he cares about his fans, but highly doubt he’s going to let any if them dictate where he goes and doesn’t go for entertainment. Everyone have a wonderful week.

* any OF them. I’m wonder why Just Jared doesn’t have an edit button.

Joie de Vivre @ 01/08/2012 at 7:09 pm

@lolita: @Can’tGetEnough: You’re both welcome…it’s fun to contribute for a change. Those big waves can demand reverence from anyone, I’m sure. ♥ CGE, happy birthday to your girl! Hope it’s been a lovely day for you all. Guess winter break is coming to a close soon for our college kids. Take care all and have a safe and happy Monday and choose to be kind and good. XXO

@niknoks:
“Won’t do much good in Scotland…. nobody hates Thatcher more than the Scottish….”
Or you, being the flaming liberal you are….after all, Thatcher only helped save the world from Communism.
Hey, but that means nothing to someone with Communist inclinations like yourself, RIGHT?
All of you government workers living off of public funds looking to grow government and increase taxes in order for quacks to have jobs pretending to help disturbed individuals who bring despair on themselves with their own two hands while we have to pay for it.
Never met a liberal who didn’t like big government, high taxes, and lots of government programs for individuals who don’t deserve any.

@Moi:
Sorry, just assumed you’d read the thread, or most of it, before stating that?
As for what he does for entertainment? Is that the opinion you think he listens to? No. So, I agree. I did not understand.
Just feel he gets this sense of tension and anxiety to live up to some example or expectation he’s met and kind of might feel he’s an example for, but that is a big mistake. But they (his fans) might think that so he kind of tries to, but not really ready (or so he thinks). This might make no sense.
There is, at the top a different responsibility for a top actor but he’s just a man. Hard to explain. He is himself, as I am. Have a nice week!
~K

TheDoctorIsIn @ 01/08/2012 at 7:56 pm

Moira looks like she’s busy consuming the global economy. Butler is clearly stalked by this person, and everyone makes light if it. If Butler was a woman, and Moira was a man, would it be judged so harmless? Perspective is everything.

And Noel Gallagher is the essence of a cool, unaffected rock star — he is what Butler wishes he could be. And Gallagher is a family man to boot!

curious cat @ 01/08/2012 at 8:07 pm

@Joie de Vivre:

What a wag you are, Joie! :)

curious cat @ 01/08/2012 at 8:11 pm

@lolita:

I think he was just acknowledging a fellow Scot. If indeed she is. He may not remember where she is from because he has seen her all over. Who knows?

curious cat @ 01/08/2012 at 8:18 pm

@Can’tGetEnough:

Happy Birthday, Electric’s daughter! However old she is? This year? My daughter was born in January years ago. It became a tradition to keep the Christmas tree up until after HER birthday. This year it is just a wreath on the door, I didn’t bother with a tree, but the wreath is still there for a few more days..

Pages: « 14 5 6 [7] 8 9 1032 » Show All