Jamie Lynn Spears: I Wasn't Glamorizing Teen Pregnancy

Jamie Lynn Spears: I Wasn't Glamorizing Teen Pregnancy

Jamie Lynn Spears blows out the candles during an early birthday celebration in this pic from Glamour‘s March issue.

Here’s what the singer and actress, who turns 21 in April, had to share with the mag:

On why she wasn’t using birth control when she got pregnant: “I believe in safety and birth control as prevention. But like many young girls … I was really scared to go to the doctor. And I was on a Nickelodeon show, and it [felt] especially embarrassing to ask someone to put me on birth control. I didn’t want to ask my doctor, because she had a little girl.”

On the media attention surrounding her pregnancy: “I did feel responsible for the young girls and the mothers who I probably confused and let down. I apologize for that. But I wasn’t trying to glamorize teen pregnancy. I hated when [the tabloids] said that. Everybody is dealt a hand of cards. It was my choice to play them the way I played them. But the hateful comments hurt.”

On getting back to work: “I was a kid who did a kid show. Then I went away and raised my child, and the world has never met me as an adult. This is the first time anybody is really meeting me as a grown woman and grown mother making a decision about what to do with my life. Do people have an idea of who they think I am? Yes, and that’s fine with me. My music will speak for itself.”

For more on Jamie Lynn, including some quotes on her ex, Casey Aldridge, and older sister Britney, check out Glamour.com!

jamie lynn spears glamour 01
jamie lynn spears glamour 02

• Who is Fun. frontman Nate Ruess dating?- US Weekly
  • Ray J is being charged with 10 crimes- TMZ
  • The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman addresses pregnancy rumors- Gossip Cop
  • Louie has been renewed for one more season- Entertainment Weekly
  • Miley Cyrus is the latest victim of an internet death hoax- Huffington Post
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip
  • Genevieve Morton shows off her sexy bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

Lol i remember i use to watch her show when i was in middle school

I think she seems responsible and like a nice girl.

Seems like she’s all grown up. I miss watching her, I thought she was funnier than miley cyrus and victoria!

She looks like Carrie Underwood in the picture where she is blowing out the candle.

wow, I forgot about her :O she’s so grown up now! I used to love zoey 101

I believe her. lets let her “auto-tune” speak for itself…umm..I mean music. —hollywood pinata. com

She shouldn’ have been having sex in the first place. Why doesn’t someone tell these young girls this. instead, we live in a society that gives the go-ahead to teenagers to have sex.

Anyway, like her sister she LACKS talent and needs to go away.

Jane Patton @ 02/02/2012 at 4:10 pm

@Cooler: #7

I agree with you.

Haaaaaaaaw-haw. @ 02/02/2012 at 4:11 pm

@hm: She looks more like “carrie under my wood” in that pic.

she seems to be raising her daughter well

If it wasn’t for Brit’s money she’d be another teenage mom on welfare.

Santimonious Shltheads @ 02/02/2012 at 5:03 pm

And i hate how you always get a few santamonious old bats who speak for everybody else like posters # 7 and #8 who refuse to let Jamie Lynn Spears have the floor for the first time as she admits like any other teenage girl she made a mistake and paid for it dearly with public scorn by the tabloids and mouthy posters who probablly have daugters who are lousy tramps who too love to make a mockery out of anyone who is not as faux perfect as them.
Leave the youg woman alone , she is not the first and won’t be the last to have sex in her teens. Most of the kids i knew 5 yrs ago in high school ALL had sex and their parents knew nothing about it. Their friends did b/c they too were doing the same thing with their b/fs they thought they would have forever which is not the case once they move on to university and eventually grow up into mature young women.
Jamie Lynn Spears kept her baby with the paps ruining ever outing with her baby. Others who had an abortion which are the majority would never have to worry about anything like that. There are compassionate ppl and there are mouthy whispering old hens who profess they did everything perfectly all their lifes and run around talking about others to perfect strangers b/c they don’t have any friends. And they never will b/c they are phonies who are the farthest thing from perfect or real. If they had a friggen clue they would know kids in highschool having sex is at an all time high of 80%. Does that make it right NOOO but when a kid claims to be embarrassed and knows where she went wrong and still kept her child which made her teenage yrs harder on herself , why not Shut The Helll Up and if you feel like running your yap and talk about the teens who could care less and don’t even look at their pregnancy as a mistake.

I always thought she looks so much like Lisa Marie Presley…

Um, no excuses…Ever heard of condoms?? Yeah, those. You don’t need to see a doctor for some, and they also prevent the spread of STD’s.

Well, if she wasn’t trying to glamorize it, why did she do a photo spread once the baby came? and true, without Britney she’d be another teenage welfare mom!

i love you Jamie!

Multi ethnic Goddess @ 02/02/2012 at 5:51 pm

Woh. I’m 21 and I could never, EVER imagine myself having a child at the moment. I’ve always said I’d have a baby at 26. I hope I’ll make it XD …. Anyway, I think she’s the spitting image of Britney. I remember back in the late 90s when Britney was at the top of her game, she looked so cute with her so my shock was damn huge when back in 2008, I read that Jamie Lynn was preggo…. However, she seems to handle it well. Everybody makes mistakes. She seems to admit hers.

hmmm….she looks sexy! i love this pic xx

@Multi ethnic Goddess: 26!? Wow lol i’m not having any until i’m like 34 or at least 30+…..your twenties are meant for living ;D

Such an idiotic excuse for not using birth control.

Yoki Chan @ 02/02/2012 at 5:58 pm

@Multi ethnic Goddess:
No children until 44 for me. I hate the human race! Children are digusting and nasty!

Yoki Chan @ 02/02/2012 at 5:59 pm

@Kevin:
It feels better when no drugs are inside body! It feels oh so good!

h*** yeah!! she’s hot !!! the world just got another Britney!

@A: Preach on! I’m 25 now and I can’t imagine nor am I ready for that kind of responsibility. I’m just starting on my career, so life is “just starting”!

susannah Hutchison @ 02/02/2012 at 10:49 pm

She was too embarrassed to ask her doctor for birth control, and yet OK with having unprotected sex at the tender age of 16? Yeah whatever.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All