President Obama Supports Gay Marriage, Hollywood Reacts

President Obama Supports Gay Marriage, Hollywood Reacts

Celebs are tweeting their thanks to President Obama who has publicly voiced his support for same-sex marriage.

“I’ve been going through an evolution on this issue. I’ve always been adamant that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally,” the commander in chief told Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts on Wednesday (May 8).

“At a certain point, I just concluded that for me, personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think that same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Barack added.

Here’s how Hollywood has responded:

Ellen DeGeneres: Thank you President @BarackObama for your beautiful and brave words. I’m overwhelmed.

Neil Patrick Harris: Bravo, Mr. President, and thank you.

Ricky Martin: I applaud President @barackobama for affirming that ALL Americans should enjoy equal rights. Historic! I will be a very proud host on Monday

Jane Lynch: Pretty darn happy today. Thanks Mr President, for supporting the dignity of my family and so many others!

Jesse Tyler Ferguson: With @MichelleObama & @JustinMikita permission I would like to marry @BarackObama right now!

Fran Drescher: So proud of our President who showed such leadership& the meaning of America’s freedom 4 all!

Sean Hayes: Thank you to @BarackObama for taking a forward-thinking stance on equality for all gay Americans and for supporting gay marriage.

Sophia Bush: Thank you Mr. President. @BarackObama speaks up for #Equality today. #LoveIsLove

Evan Rachel Wood: Wooooooo! @BarackObama

Photos: WENN
Posted to: Barack Obama, Politics

A&E

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 79 » Show All

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

NOBAMA 2012

Yet another way this highlights the major differences between Romney and Obama. Romney has no core and would never make a single decision or utterance unless an entire focus group could take a poll first.

I respect and admire the President for making a politically risky and bold decision on an election year. He’s yet again making history again!

OBAMA 2012!

All I have to say is that its about damn time someone spoke out for the side of common sense. Supporting same-sex marriage is this generation’s equivalent of supporting interracial marriage. So grow the heck up people in the US (I am Canadian btw and same-sex marriage is legal here) and realize that because your neighbours Sue and Jennifer are married doesn’t mean you are somehow going to “catch” their homosexuality or something and it does not diminish your (probably very dysfunctional) hetero marriage. Marriage is just a friggen formality these days … nobody does it anymore and nobody stays married. So let’s spread the non-love and include everyone in the silliness.

I’m really neither here nor there when it comes to American politics (not American), but yeah, the elections are this, probably doing it to get the vote from the gay community. He didn’t really need to say it as I doubt many gay people would vote for republicans, anyway!

Thank you President Obama! Thank you for standing up for equal rights for all!

I don’t get how people can be AGAINST gay rights. People should have the freedom to love WHOEVER they want. OBAMA!<3

ms_levitt @ 05/09/2012 at 6:39 pm

yay!!!! ( from germany) :)

Not sure about his true motive, but I think it’s all about re-election. Why didn’t he make this statement earlier?

Nice of him to do this, but I still wont vote for him after all his screw ups. Reagan once said that America would have a president whose celebrity status and personality would cover up for all his errors, and its sad for African Americans that Obama had to be that person.

Equality for All! @ 05/09/2012 at 6:51 pm

Now President Obama – please move the DNC Convention out of that NC backwater now where you can marry your cousin but not if they are gay!

@:

Well, Reagan should know–he certainly covered up all his crap with his celebrity status and personality.

Yay!! While I’m not American I still have my opinions about their politics (as I know most people do) and I firmly believe that politics and religion should not mix. Obama says he’s a Christian but he doesn’t shove his religious beliefs down Americas throat. There is NO place for a biased president and I’m so glad Obama believes in treating everyone as an EQUAL!!

Dace Franco @ 05/09/2012 at 6:57 pm

Obviously, What was he suppose to say? Still think he’s a puppet. Ron Paul in 2012

@:

Are you seriously going to call Obama a celebrity while supposedly quoting Reagan… who was an ACTOR!! LMAO!

Dace Franco @ 05/09/2012 at 6:58 pm

@solecito: Agreed! Look at his smirky face.

@Dace Franco:

Ron Paul is a homophobe and is anti-choice. He is far from Libertarian.

@Dace Franco:

Ron Paul is a homophobe and is anti-choice. He is far from Libertarian.

i could not be happier that obama has finally revealed that he is all for gay marriage! i have new faith for him! :)

Dace Franco @ 05/09/2012 at 7:00 pm

Ron Paul in 2012. He is better equipped and much smarter than this HYPE machine known as “OBAMA”. He gets nothing done and keeps in the spotlight by catering to celebs & talk shows. He is a celebrity.

Dace Franco @ 05/09/2012 at 7:04 pm

Look: I’m all for equality but Obama is such a puppet.

I’m overwhelmed by this news, in a good way of course! I’m just so happy because it’s about time gay people are able to marry just like us heterosexuals can. His words send such a positive message for gays and lesbians everywhere. He definitely has my vote.

bahha black sheep @ 05/09/2012 at 7:12 pm

one term president

Gossipgirl @ 05/09/2012 at 7:16 pm

@Halli: just so there is fairness here; the POTUS supported gay marriage in 1996, then he flipped in 2004 and then he opposed it again in 2008. Now supports it today. It is easy to see what we want in candidates when they support various positions, but the fact is that it is now politically expedient for hi. To support it, hence his announcement today.

So Mr President, is that all what you have to say to the world and to your people? You’ve done nothing of a value through your 2 years or so or of ruling the US. Are we thankful? No.

So now i can only give a thumbs up for comments that you agree with Jared?

F YOU JJ !!!