Donna Summer Dies at 63

Donna Summer Dies at 63

Donna Summer, the Queen of Disco and 5-time Grammy Award winner, has died after a battle with lung cancer. She was 63.

The singer passed away Thursday morning (May 17) in Florida, TMZ reports. A source said Donna “was trying to keep the extent of her illness under wraps.”

Donna rose to fame in the ’70s with songs such as “Last Dance,” “Hot Stuff,” and “Bad Girls.” Her other hits include “She Works Hard for the Money” and “This Time I Know It’s Real.”

She’s survived by her husband, Bruce Sudano, their two kids, and her first daughter from a previous relationship.

Our thoughts go out to Donna‘s family and friends during this difficult time.

Credit: Chris Jackson; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Donna Summer, RIP

Frazer Harrison/Getty

Donna was a very talented singer and trend-setter, a real star like there are no more . Rest her soul and may God give her loved ones strength during this difficult time.

Very sorry to hear this. Prayers to her family. RIP, Miss Donna and thank you for the music!

InTheIndustry @ 05/17/2012 at 12:32 pm

Rest In Peace

RIP Donna Summer you will be greatly missed . My prayers & thoughts go out to her family . She had the best songs ever recorded . There is no one like her . Truly a diva and a special gift from God .

The lady with the WOW voice!

RIP Donna!

DUM DOO DAH DAYS!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA HERE COMES THE BURN OF A LIFETIME!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

LOVE,
U MOCK U!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHA ALL THE DOO DAH DAY!!!!!! HAHAHAH SUCKY U!!!!!! HAHAHA

HERE IT COMES!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA U ARE SUM!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

LOVE,
LET’S GO!!!!!!! HAHAHHAA U ARE SQUARE!!!!!! HAHAHAHHA 2+2++=8 HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA U ARE THE ROOT!!!!! OF ONE!!!!!! HAHAHAHA GOODBYE!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

U = 0!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

LOVE,
THE EQUATION!!!!!! HAHAHAHA NEW MOVIE OR TV SHOW???????!!!!!! HAHAHAHA ++++++++================================ HAHAHAHAHAHAH

rest in peace donna

Why taleted people have to die? :( such an icon she’s the queen of disco REST IN PEACE. <3

wakeupNsee @ 05/17/2012 at 12:49 pm

Shocking since she kept her Cancer private. I didnt even know she was sick. RIP Donna.

One of the best voices in history!

The biggest and sad news today. I’m shocked she was even sick…and so young. I was born in the 80′s but my parents played her CD ALL THE TIME. And of course, we danced liked crazy. She also played Urkel’s Aunt in “Family Matters” and brought the house down as well. *sigh* Rest in peace Donna and I hope all the angels above brought out their disco balls to dance while you sing :)

mlllllllllllle @ 05/17/2012 at 1:02 pm

Oh No…

I didn’t realize she was suffering. RIP.

mlllllllllllle @ 05/17/2012 at 1:09 pm

Etta is dead.
Amy is dead.
Donna is dead.
Left Eye Lisa Lopes is dead.
Whitney Houston is dead.

Katy Perry is alive.

So sad, so young. She had so many great hits…LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY Donna!

I am still completely stunned and saddened by this.

Terrible tragedy. She was a music icon and she will be missed.

lafamepoma @ 05/17/2012 at 3:25 pm

i’m so sad, my favourites songs of her are “Hot stuff” and ” Last dance”, the most known but i wasn’t born in 70th yet, so i didn’t have enough time to listen her music, but she’s amazing

My mom’s beyonce awwwww!!!!

RIP Donna,you will always be the Queen of Disco

R.I.P. Queen Donna

TIMEKEEPER @ 05/17/2012 at 4:25 pm

Wow! Heaven sure has a awesome sounding choir now. I grew up with this beautiful song bird’s music. RIP Ms. Summer. We will miss you terribly.

SO SAD to hear of Donna’s passing. RIP and thank you Donna for all the fun and great music you gave us !!

I am grief stricken, and my lungs are paining
for Donna S

those were the times of my life

Loved her, loved her voice. So sad

Met her . She was so sweet. RIP

Such a beautiful lady.

Remember dancing to her songs. Good memories

Disco Don @ 05/17/2012 at 9:06 pm

Loved her music. Fierce voice.

She was so private. Don’t see that now. RIP

RIP. I feel so old. Donna Summer was 63?

Wow, Jared, you have absolute garbage post as the site’s headline and you can’t put this as a headline/top post? SMH.
Any who, R.I.P, Hot Stuff. That bully takes another life. *sigh*

Omigod, NOOOOOOOOO, Not Donna!!! Rest in Peace, Ms. Summer, you were and will always be “Hotstuff.” Never will you be forgotten.

Donna sings with the angels @ 05/17/2012 at 10:52 pm

I love your voice, you soul and now you are gone.
I was dancing on your music.
I am sad and depressed.
63, so much talent and your voice was so powerful , that s not an age to die….not even a wrinkle on your face!

Valéria Muccillo @ 05/18/2012 at 8:57 am

DIVA!!!!!!

Donna was always such a beautiful woman and could she sing, so many memories of all her songs. She said she wanted to be called an Empress as she got older instead of Disco Queen , thank you for the music and memories, Empress Donna. Rest in Peace.

Whether you loved Disco or not she had one of the BEST voices ever! Loved all of her music! RIP MISS SUMMERS.

I was into progressive rock in the 70′s but my guilty pleasures were Abba and Donna Summers…..and yes, I hated disco. This white boy thought and still thinks Donna Summers was beautiful and SO SEXY and obviously very professional. RIP. You were too young.

sorry to hear that.may she rest in peace

Thanks so much for the memories Donna! God Bless your family during this hard time in their lives right now.