Azealia Banks Covers 'Paper' Summer Music Issue

Azealia Banks Covers 'Paper' Summer Music Issue

Azealia Banks rocks an Alexander Wang t-shirt on the cover of Paper Magazine’s Summer Music Issue, avaible on newsstands now.

Here’s what the 21-year-old rapper had to share:

On why she wrote “212″: “Nobody was listening to my music, I had been dropped from [the English record label] XL, my manager dropped me. My boyfriend left me. I was starting to accept that my career was never gonna happen. So the song was just me, like, ‘F**k y’all. Y’all not gonna help me? I’m gonna get it myself.’”

On the music industry: “The music industry is like a machine, It’s always going, and this new generation of artists – me, A$AP Rocky, Rita Ora – we’re the fuel that’s keeping it going. And once you get in that machine you’ve gotta run with it.”

On the advice label chief Jimmy Iovine gave her: “Jimmy tells you to keep the wind behind you. The music is what’s important. These people are not gonna wanna talk to you if you don’t have music; they’re not gonna be interested. And your star is not always gonna be as bright. So you really have to seize the day.”

For more on Azealia, check out PaperMag.com!

• Kourtney Kardashian celebrates the 35th birthday in a bikini- US Weekly
  • Cher Lloyd talks about her new music video for “Sirens”- Just Jared Jr
  • Michelle Obama will be visiting Nashville - Entertainment Weekly
  • How did Jennifer Garner look in 1999? - Huffington Post
  • Ryan Gosling is attending this year's Cannes Film Festival- Lainey Gossip
  • Constance Nunes shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

I’m a doctor,35 ,rich but still single.It’s hard to get a girlfriend in my town ,most of them like my money more than like me.I just want to find my true love.so i uploaded my hot photos on Wealthybar.c om under the name of hotlove2.u dont have to be a millionaire,but u can meet one there. ..if you girls see this comment,i hope you will check my photos out there.maybe you are the one whom i’m looking for!!!44f
d

Dislike new artists @ 06/20/2012 at 2:01 am

I cannot believe she said that she is part of the fuel that is keeping the music industry going, i had and still have no idea who she is and what her songs are, they like to think they are what keeps it going but truth is the music industry mainly sucks now cause people with **** voices like Rihanna and katy perry keep getting signed, i miss the old music and would pick listening to old school stuff over her and other new artists anyday.

@Dislike new artists:

the thing is, this girl’s actually a good rapper :-T

Dave Franco @ 06/20/2012 at 2:07 am

Yes, the girl is talented but unfortunately you gotta sell your body to get noticed. SEX is an easy thing to sell. If you’re a goody two shoes, most likely you’ll never go anywhere. Well, Taylor Swift might fit that mold but she has mostly women as her fanbase.

Natasha (Nataliya) Stasyi @ 06/20/2012 at 2:20 am

This pose’s disgusting! As if it’s not for music, but for some mens magazine. I thought she was a serious rapper..

@Dave Franco: The music industry would never allow a ‘black’ Taylor Swift. If you are a black girl singing wholesome music you will never get a record deal. I speak from experience and know many others like me, we are musicians, play our own instruments ( i play the guitar) and I’m slim/skinny , young and pretty but girls like me will never get famous for being innocent and wholesome. That’s not what they want from us…as you can see.

@Dave Franco: very true. taylor swift and selena gomez are my favorite people form young hollywood because they’ve still got an innocence to them. they’re nice, sincere, and they don’t act like desperate wh*res. i literally can’t think of anyone who you could say that about other than them two.

disgusting

why is she trashy??? shes talented.. just because she doesn’t slap on some flowers and claim shes pure like the taylor swifts of the world doesn’t mean sh*t.. you think those girls (demi lovato, selena gomez, miley etc aren’t doing drugs? sleeping around?? stop being naive)

Oh Yeah!!! @ 06/20/2012 at 5:54 am

interesting pose

she reminds me of a female version of tyler the creator…the way they act contradicts their motives yet people still listen to their music…

The pose is provocative…… especially with the Mickey head right there

AV is a moron and not in the music business at all. There have been countless black artist who make it big in the industry without resorting to the nastiness of the Rapper crowd and so called artist. Taylor Swift is talented Selena Gomez is not so don’t mention the two in the same breath. The best new singer out there today is Emeile Sante who writes her own songs and plays several instruments.

lol love it @ 06/20/2012 at 8:04 am

@Mariah: Maybe you should re read what I wrote. Please tell me where I can find a black Taylor Swift who is famous or just as famous as Taylor Swift.
I’d really like to know as I am interested in finding a young black girl who plays the guitar and sings wholesome songs about life, boys and love.
Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant since there is no way I can prove it. Have I tried to get a record deal? You bet ya. Have I succeeded? Obviously not. Is it because I suck? Maybe, but that’s not the excuses I’ve gotten, in fact, it’s quite the opposite.
When you repeatedly see the same type of black girls who get the fame, the record deal you start to wonder what the deal is.
Rihanna, Azealia etc, it’s the same genre, the same type of music (hiphop/pop).
It’s tiresome and plenty of people like myself are starting to get sick of it.

Dumb Troll @ 06/20/2012 at 8:10 am

Shut up stupid there are countless of black executive and record company owners and they don’t disallow anything they go with what sells. It has nothing to do with color find one Puerto Rican girl who strums a guitar and sings wholesome songs about life, love and boys. Thye don’t exists because they go around half naked on stage shaking thier butts even when they are as old as JLO. Taylor Swift has her country/pop audience because that’s who she appeals to.

Selena Gomez ia a joke she is famous because of Justin and that TV show.

Banks put herself in this position because she is in the Rap genre and Rap girls behave this way.

No one buys Demi Lovato’s music no one even considers her to be an artist she is know for her rehab and self cutting and partying. Taylor Swift has talent Lavota and Gomez do not.

@Terrell: yes and demi lovatos uncle use to stand in front of her bus (guard it to keep ppl out) while she gave BJ”s to her back up dancers.. all actors/mucisians have a fake image.. taylor swift ‘fake dates’ for publicity (john m. jake g.) they’re all the same.

@Dumb Troll: We exist, we just don’t get record deals.

I can very well picture Iggy Azalea and Rita Ora doing the same pose because they are in this genre of music.

Go to youtube and search for priscilla renea.
Why is she not as famous as Azealia? Don’t be so naive.

Record companies go with what sells when and if the public gets tired of overly sexualized women in Rap then they will disappear, but only until then. If this entertains large portions of the population and they keep buying it then it stays. McDonald’s sells crappy food but they make more money than SubWay or the other more health conscious fast food outlets. The Gospel singers who play instruments go well in their genre of music but they aren’t as popular or titillating as what Rap offers. I know about Priscilla and she would have been huge in the days of Odetta, Roberta Flack and Nina Simone, that was a different era. This is the era of Rap whether good or bad people all over the world like it.

Janelle Monae and Emilie Sante do well in their genre of music as well and they sing beauitful songs about love and romance. Young people spend the most on music which explains the popularity of Bieber and One Direction.

CASHIN IN @ 06/20/2012 at 8:53 am

@Lana: Selena Gomez is a desperate w hore always hanging all over Justin her manufactured image is just that…manufactured and she can’t sing.

That's Entertainment! @ 06/20/2012 at 8:57 am

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in today. Kim and Paris became overnight celebrities for making sex tapes only. The public is responsible for making them rich (although Paris was wealthy already) and famous.

@Terrell: By the way I am no fan of Rap but a lot of folks like it.

@lol love it:
I agree. If you’re dark-skinned, it’s even harder to make in this business. People still have the mentality that black girls are only good for one thing, selling sex and being a stereotypical black girl. It’s ridiculous.

I agee. If you’re a black Hispanic, it’s even harder to make it in this business. People still have the mentality that black Hispanics don’t exist and are only good enough for one thing, selling sex and being a typical black girl. It’s ridiculous. Selena Gomez never went through that.

are you serious? Mickey Mouse head between her legs??? And all those arrows pointing to her groin area? They should be ashamed of themselves

Eagleboy11 @ 06/20/2012 at 2:48 pm

Taylor Swift is super talented and we all know it. I’m a 20 years old boy and I’m great fan of her. But selena is not good at music at all. She is good at acting not singing. I’m telling you.

“Mommy, why is Mickey Mouses’ face between that girl’s legs?” Heads are exploding over at Disney. LOL