Mariah Carey Officially American Idol's New Judge!

Mariah Carey Officially American Idol's New Judge!

It’s official! Mariah Carey will be joining American Idol as a judge for the upcoming twelfth season of the hit singing competition.

“I am so excited to be joining Idol,” Mariah shared in a phone call with Fox boss Kevin Reilly (via TV Line). “I wanted to be there today and I wish I could have been there myself to tell you. I can’t wait to get started in a couple months.”

The news was announced during Fox’s panel at the 2012 Summer TCA Tour on Monday (July 23) in Beverly Hills, Calif.

“I would like to see the judges change every year. It’s horrible to be in this position where you guys [in the press] are asking, ‘Who’s it going to be?’ and there are thousands of names being thrown out,” executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said. “And it’s unfair on negotiations. You can’t negotiate with somebody in a public marketplace.”

WILL YOU WATCH Mariah Carey as a judge on American Idol?

stellartes @ 07/23/2012 at 3:17 pm

we will have to see what she brings to the judging table

Love this! At the very least, she’s gonna be hilarious to watch.

Yes, awesome!!!!

the truth @ 07/23/2012 at 3:24 pm

She is so fake and boring. I mean I loved her music in the 90s and early 20s but she really has a dead personality. Right now, I find her uncomfortable to watch, the woman can hardly move!! Although talent wise she beats JLO in her sleep. The entertainment business cares little about actual TALENT. Nevertheless I will tuning in to watch how she does.

Oh Yeah!!! @ 07/23/2012 at 3:43 pm

Not Sure how she will Re-vive Idol. We will see!

Finally! Someone who can actually sing is judging on AI.

@the truth: like Stephen replied I am taken by surprise that any body able to profit $9339 in a few weeks on the computer. did you look at this link >>> Click2go.notlong.comMOVE AND LOOK

At least she can sing better than her contestant… now we are talking talent.

@Amanda: Exactly. Go to wikipedia and take a look at Mariah’s credentials. There are some people who may not like her, but even they can’t deny that the Rihannas and Katys of today would kill to have Mariah’s career.

I’ve always liked Mariah even if she is a diva. I think she’ll be a great judge. (: She such talented lady.

Finally! A judge that can actually SING.

Little Monster @ 07/23/2012 at 4:08 pm

I love MIMI and she is undeniably talented but she is still too old! If they want to keep the younger crowd they have to go with someone under forty. Mariah only agreed to do this stupid talent show as a favor to her long time bass guitarist Randy he knew that if he could talk Mimi into climbing onboard this sinking Idol ship his job would be saved. Mariah and Britney are too good for this kind of thing.

if Steven Tyler couldn’t save that show… oh well no one will… American Idol is nothing without Simon

I think she will do great job.

Yes, she would have done a great job when Simon was on the show but not now they waited too late to hire a singer as talented as Mariah.

@Little Monster: I disagree. The “younger crowd” AKA stupid teenage girls, is the reason why boring “white guys with guitar” keep winning. Being used to computer generated crappy “music”, they wouldn’t recognize talent if it hit them in their faces. The more they turn away from Idol, the better it would be for the show.

Five time Grammy winner with a seven octave range voice this woman is a great true artist the real deal. I always thought Steven was just cooling his jets on Idol and never really wanted to be there, now he is back with Aerosmith on tour where he belongs. Steve only did it for the money.

OMG so excited to see her on Idol. She will always be my Idol. Great choice!!!!

Great singer who knows her craft.

Yes! Finally a judge with real talent. I adore you Mariah. Lovve Brit too on XFactor.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ @ 07/23/2012 at 4:41 pm

They must be paying her big bucks because she is way to good for this show. She is the first female judge who could actually sing.

Imagine that a real singer judging contestants for a change.

AI will never again be what it was when Simon was ruling the show. Paula, Randy and Ryan were IMO all “props” to Simon’s snark-appeal which used to keep me glued to my TV until the very end. As it stands I don’t know when was the last time I lasted through and entire season of AI once Simon departed. I did think that ST and JL had a nice vibe with Randy and kept the show from totally tanking but the real magic of what once made AI great just isn’t there for me anymore. It’s turned into a “cute boy” popularity contest and talent that doesn’t seem to last longer than 1-2 years before these raved about winners fall into obscurity. The exception would have to be the those in the country genre who seem to excel once they leave AI but the other genres? Not so much. As far as I can tell these days those who don’t win the coveted AI title are the performers who are faring better after all the fanfare and spotlight are gone. I’ve seen just as many AI runner ups who are truer celebrities now than any of the most recent AI winners in the last 5 years. Maybe that’s the trick? Not to win AI to become a winner. LOL

…my oh my, while I respect Mariah Carey, and feel she is super talented, I feel this move is somewhat shady other part.

I guess money can buy everything/including pride….cause if I remember correctly in the past year or so she’s made a few negative comments regarding the show enjoys it, and how she doesn’t have time to watch it, much less be a judge on it.

* shady on her part..

Well well well, imagine a talent show getting a judge/coach who can actually sing and has a kick ass career! Well done Idol. I predicted this. next judge chosen should be Jimmy Iovine or Lyor Cohen..p[eople who actually sign talent for a living.

I am going to enjoy watching A I this season they made a great choice.

At least Mariah can sing, what is jlo going to do know her career is going to back to ***** AI made jlo popular again and now Mariah has her job

Sure of course, Mariah can sing. But she can’t be a stylist.

Her hair needs a new cut (style) and please cover your fake boobs. Breasts are not appealing.

Must not wear plunging necklines all the time. Cover them once in a while.

She is an Idol and the perfect star to judge potential singers.

Still want watch @ 07/23/2012 at 5:38 pm

Mariah is the first real talent AI has ever had as a judge. Steven is great but a different talent. I just hope Mariah don’t use this as a platform to promote her own projects like J-Lo did, she was just oversaturation. I don’t watch the show except for ocassionally tuning in during the auditions but glad J-Lo is gone but will miss Steven and his crazy sayings.

Ugliest Cat Woman ever. @ 07/23/2012 at 7:24 pm

Poor Mimi, the last time she followed in JLo’s footsteps Glitter happened.
Just 12 Million, the got her cheap.

Cheesy, boring and crazy, just like the X Factor judges.

Firat, those huge fake breasts she sports look ridiculous. C’mon Mariah wake up and get those things out.
second, aren’t her twins still really young? This is gonna take up a lot of her time that she could be spending with her babies. Why do peopl go through all she did to have babies and then leave tem so young? She doesn’t need the money ha ha so it is her choice to work and leave her kids- when they are still babies! oh well it is her life. I support a woman’s right to not have to stay home with the kids all the time, absolutely. I just think she is missing out! Being WITH your kids is the best gift you can give them.

@solecito: LOL
Na Que Ver!!,
The Jugde Has To JUDE Not To Sing LOL

Why Do The Judge Has To Be a “Real” Singer Blah Blah Blah

JLo Did well On American Idol And She`s Not That Bad
she Gave Good Advices To The Contest Thats Why I love Her On The Show.

Let`s See If a “REal” Singer Like Mariah Can Give Advice.

Will Mariah Carey make a good ‘American Idol’ judge? Vote at Nationwidevotes.com

Now if they could get Jimmy Iovine to actually sit at the judges desk, it would be perfect. If not him, then Johnny Wright. Although a part of me do wish they replace Randy, but obviously not going happen. Hopefully he’ll step up his game now that Mariah is on board.

Good lord, I hope she covers her jugs.

j lo left because she wanted more money and i’m glad she’s out. At least mariah carey (with all her faults) is a talented singer, one that has been doing it for a long time so i think it’s a good choice and i might actually watch (boring/scripted) idol

Mariah is a fantastic singer but Jennifer Lopez is a good entertainer.
they are two different styles but it’s good that they have someone who can actually sing with all those octaves. I’m afraid that she will have her ditzy moments kind of like Paula Abdul did.

@Kiki: Ha! Yeah you said it…love her singing but as a person she can be pretty ridiculous and random…sometimes I think she has butterflies swirling around in her head! But it’s gonna be damn entertaining to watch :) DIVA!

To understand Mariah I think you have to see her as an 8 year old princess in the body of a drag queen.

@elle:

Well maybe, it’s because of her young babies she’s actaully doing AI. What is being a judge there? To seat twice a week.
Plenty of time to enjoy her babies and not to have to move around the world constantly.

oh God, why? Mimi u are soo much better than this! I know ur carer needs revival, but idol? come on

I think they should get a rocker like Mick Jagger or David Bowie to take over Steven Tyler’s roll….or even Sting or Jon Bon Jovi. Idol needs to go through a major revamp in my opinion with real judge’s criticism.

L O L and Cannon said “they couldn’t afford her” huuuuummmm!!!!!!

KAY blood @ 07/24/2012 at 9:30 pm

Very bad choice, too much money, argh.

Everybody follows Jlo’s footsteps, lmao!!! She farts everyone else wants to also. i.e., singing, dancing, acting, perfume lines, red carpet , clothing lines etc. etc. She is an icon, they claim they hate her but they want her look.And now every singer wants to be on a reality singing show…Jlo knows how to open doors. It cracks me up!!!!!!! People were laughing when she first went on Idol…but she laughed all the way to the bank!!!

That’s great! She is no doubt a very smart singer, that’s how i know she can judge on the AI smartly…
She is unique singer, she is also being tried to be immitated by many singers, that’s how she influences many listeners. Once the AI 2012 edition 12 launches, many will watch, because they also missed the MIMI for a very long time :)

LET’s SEE how things will happen :)