The Jeffersons' Sherman Hemsley Dead at 74

The Jeffersons' Sherman Hemsley Dead at 74

Sherman Hemsley, most famous for his role as George Jefferson on the iconic television series The Jeffersons, has passed away at the age of 74.

The cause of death is not known at the moment, according to TMZ.

The Emmy-nominated actor became famous from his appearances on All In The Family as George Jefferson in the early 1970s before starring as the character in the spinoff for eleven seasons.

Sherman also made appearances on Family Matters as the boss to Carl Winslow and voiced B.P. Richfield on Dinosaurs.

We send our condolences to Sherman‘s friends and family during this difficult time.

Credit: Frederick M. Brown; Photos: Getty
Posted to: RIP, Sherman Hemsley

• Snooki steps out after giving birth to her second baby- US Weekly
  • Taylor Swift is getting sued by a chauffeur service- TMZ
  • Netflix has added some new films to their collection- Entertainment Weekly
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip
  • Bryana Holly knows how to heat up the desert- Hollywood Tuna

Haters Suck! @ 07/24/2012 at 4:58 pm

Aw how sad. RIP

Noo way. How sad!!! RIP!!

Rest in Paradise, Sherman. Very talented man.

Hopefully, he’s “Movin’ on Up!” to heaven

@ck: I was just about to say that! (:

That makes me soo sad he was a funny character

lexy hates bilson @ 07/24/2012 at 5:43 pm

It’s sad.

Dry Cleaner Chain @ 07/24/2012 at 5:49 pm

Movin’ on up to the East Side. To a deluxe apartment in the sk-y. Movin’ on up to the East Side. We finally got our piece of the pie.
Great comedian. RIP, Sherman.

@ lexy hates bilson @ 07/24/2012 at 5:51 pm

It’s time to move past the hate and get a new name. Seriously, it’s been years. Time to grow up.

He was a great talent, RIP.

RIP. This is very sad news to me. Mr.Hemsley was a legend and will never be forgotten. Thank you for bringing George Jefferson (The Jeffersons) and Deacon Frye (Amen) alive…you made me smile/laugh. Favorite show? When George caught Disco fever and danced his “George Jefferson” dance. LOL

Gossipgirl @ 07/24/2012 at 6:50 pm

That’s a damn shame; rest in peace, Sherman and thanks for the laughs!

this was one of my favorite shows growing up..I will miss you “Mr. Jefferson”..RIP

Rest in peace.

RIP!! Ground breaking series the best ever . The disco fever episode with the late Roxie Roker {Lenny Kravitz mom} Helen Willis was the best . Wonderful actor /comedian he will be missed . My thoughts & prayers are with his family & friends at this time . I already started watching The Jeffersons upon hearing this sad news ..I have so many memories of him . This really touch me today .

RIP Sherman Hemsley aka Mr. Jefferson. Thanks for the great television and all the laughs.

OMG I’ve seen him in so many things, he was great! RIP

Oh dear, my heart goes out to his loved ones during this time.

Joneblaze @ 07/25/2012 at 6:15 am

R.I.P to Sherman Hemsley
The Jeffersons and Amen would not have been the same without your
comedic swagger

OH NO! I loved him. That swagger! HA! HA! Still watch The Jeffersons on cable. Great TV back then. All we get now is crap reality shows. REST IN PEACE MR. JEFFERSON.

@Lisa: LOL…THAT WAS GREAT!!!

YOU BROUGHT SO MUCH JOY AND LAUGHTER TO FAMILIES AROUND THE WORLD. YOU WILL BE SADLY MISSED…

Christina Smythe @ 07/27/2012 at 1:31 pm

Rest in peace Sherman Hemsley. It was always hilarious watching you on The Jefferson’s. I am happy to know that he has a memorial page on Evertalk within Facebook. Here’s the link: https://apps.facebook.com/evertalk/index/memorial/shermanhemsley2650

Jacklyn Johnson @ 07/27/2012 at 1:55 pm

@Christina Smythe: Sherman Hemsley will always hold a special place in my heart. I will continue watching re-runs of The Jefferson’s. Thanks for the heads up on the Evertalk page Christina. I will visit it.