Andy Murray Wins U.S. Open, Defeats Defending Champ Novak Djokovic

Andy Murray Wins U.S. Open, Defeats Defending Champ Novak Djokovic

Andy Murray celebrates his dramatic win at the U.S. Open championship men’s singles final match at the 2012 U.S. Open held at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Monday (September 10) in Queens, New York.

The 25-year-old Scottish tennis star defeated Novak Djokovic for the grand slam title 7-6(12), 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2.

The match lasted five hours! Novak was the defending champion of the title.

The day before, superstar Serena Williams won her fourth U.S. Open crown.

15+ pictures inside of Andy Murray holding up his new trophy at the U.S. Open…

andy murray wins us open mens 01

• Kyra Sedgwick will guest-star on Brooklyn Nine-Nine- Entertainment Weekly
  • DMX loses his mind while riding a roller coaster- Huffington Post
  • Is Kevin Smith still friends with Ben Affleck?- Lainey Gossip
  • Eva Herzigova shows off her body in a one piece bathing suit- Hollywood Tuna

KAY blood @ 09/10/2012 at 9:50 pm

Awesome! Congrats Andy!

Great job! Well deserved. Congrats Andy and GB!

SimplementMoi @ 09/10/2012 at 10:05 pm

Olympic repeat at the US open. Congrats to Andy and Serena!

Congrats Andy!!! Too Bad Rafa isn’t there..

So happy for Andy. Now Rafa has to get fit, and tennis will be right.

I was crying for like 5 minutes and am still upset!! I really wanted Djokovic to win, but congrats to Murray. I’m not going to say he played the better match. They both played incredibly, but Murray just had more in him in the last set. Hope Djokovic wins next year though (or Federer, but I’m rooting for Djoker!!)!!!

Hell yeah! 5 hours of cheering and yelling to root on Murray! Wooo!!! So proud of him. What a match! I’ve never seen one like that so intense. That was just bananas haha

Did anyone think Murray seemed a bit glum when he won? I mean, I’m sure he was ecstatic, but I was hoping to see more of a reaction. When he lost Wimbledon, he started crying out of sadness, but since he won the US Open (his first slam) I thought he would start crying out of joy… but that wasn’t the case. Maybe he cried off-camera? Anyways, I liked Djokovic’s reaction last year when he won the US Open (he fell on the court, or when he won Wimbledon last year–he ate the grass). Or even when Federer on this year’s Wimbledon. The guy has won sooo many slams and he STILL seemed like it was his first and looked overjoyed!! I thought Murray’s team were way more happy then he seemed to be (of course, I’m only saying this by what I observed on-camera).

Congrats on his win!! (I was actually rooting for him, btw. Wished to have seen more of a reaction, though).

Andamentothat @ 09/10/2012 at 10:41 pm

Congrats Andy!

Congrats, Muzza. Finally. Long time coming. I would have rolled on the ground, ripped my shirt off, climbed up to the player box and gave a hug to Ivan Lendl.

mrs_fuzzybee @ 09/10/2012 at 10:56 pm

So happy and proud of Andy. He was my pick to win the title this year because Ivan’s coaching has improved Andy’s game and his confidence. I thought Djokovic was brilliant as usual. I hope they both will win many more majors in their lifetime.

mrs_fuzzybee @ 09/10/2012 at 10:59 pm

@anon: He was happy but he looked in shock. Like he was trying to process what he just accomplished. Andy’s very reserved and even reticent. Outside of tennis a lot of heavy heavy stuff has happened to Andy and his family. Trust me he is incredibly happy and will probably party for a few days with his friends and family.

He looks like he could be Andrew Garfield’s brother.

Congratulaions to Andy! He was amazing how he ran everything down.
Djok played well at times too but dug himself into a deep hole. Too windy. Need a roof.

Kyle Hopkins @ 09/11/2012 at 12:53 am

Congrats to the Brit!!!

Kristen Stewart-Trampire @ 09/11/2012 at 4:40 am

wow wow still can’t believe it………Congratz Andy :)

florence2 @ 09/11/2012 at 4:42 am

So pleased for Andy he really has uped his game and it’s paying off so well done Andy.

Congrats, Andy Murray. You’ve finally realized your potential.