Gerard Butler: 'Despierta America' Appearance!

Gerard Butler: 'Despierta America' Appearance!

Gerard Butler suits up as he makes an appearance on Despierta America at Univision Studios on Tuesday morning (November 27) in Miami, Fla.

The 43-year-old actor, who was interviewed by host Karla Martinez, promoted his new film Playing For Keeps and talked about how he wished he was Latin.

“I wish I was Latin because everyone is from a different country, but there such a great camaraderie between everybody,” Gerard expressed. “All the women (Latinas) are unbelievably beautiful, and the guys are so fun. It’s a really nice atmosphere.”

Also pictured: Gerard arriving at LAX Airport after his flight from Miami later that evening in Los Angeles.

gerard butler despierta america appearance 01
gerard butler despierta america appearance 02
gerard butler despierta america appearance 03
gerard butler despierta america appearance 04
gerard butler despierta america appearance 05
gerard butler despierta america appearance 06
gerard butler despierta america appearance 07
gerard butler despierta america appearance 08
gerard butler despierta america appearance 09
gerard butler despierta america appearance 10

Ethan Miller/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All

Can not believe I’m the first to post. From what I saw it was so funny when that (guy – I hope that was not a woman) came out, asking him to marry her. His face was priceless.

MG! Gerry, my dear! Where are you going to fly in shorts? LOL!

OMG!……))))))))

So Swedish @ 11/28/2012 at 9:33 am

Pic nr 1: he must be in heaven.

He really knows what to say to please the listeners atm. Like when boybands or some male singer does interviews in different countries and says: Yeah the French/German/Dutch (depending on which country he’s being interviewed in) are the prettiest and I sure wanna live here!

Yeah huh.

AliceEmma @ 11/28/2012 at 9:39 am

Love my job, since I’ve been bringing in $5600… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I’m making it online(Click on menu Home)

Sunshine Daydream @ 11/28/2012 at 9:58 am

Mr. Butler, you are such a cunning chap. Always tactful when the ladies are interviewing you. Right, it’s all quite amusing.

Untamable Shrew @ 11/28/2012 at 9:59 am

God this guy is so smooth and handsome.I can see how women fall for him even if he is a man child.

I suspect Gerard Butler sits around his agent’s office saying, “This project isn’t shïtty enough. Give me a an EVEN WORSE movie to star in!”

lol. his movies are probably a huge inside joke

same speech different day @ 11/28/2012 at 10:31 am

When you tell people what you think they want to hear, then nothing that comes out of your mouth is perceived as sincere. He has said the exact same thing in every country he’s ever been in, about every ethnicity.

repost from other thread @ 11/28/2012 at 10:34 am

From Devil’s Advocate –
“Commenting on a fan site is a first, but there is something strangely gripping about Gerard Butler’s whole persona – it is sad, a little distasteful and enveloping. People are saying pretty mean things and, while I can understand why they are saying it (and probably wouldn’t risk being alone with him and his charms myself), I think it’s a little harsh and doesn’t really take into account a lot of serious issues.

His lothario reputation clearly seems to precede him – and, true, he has little interest in bucking that label. Yet, as time goes on, he has revealed more and more about how he became this man – who is a little tragic in his loneliness and internal pain. In one interview, he names three girls from his pre-fame youth who rejected him. He obviously knew how devastating it would be to call them out by name, and that they would be hounded by paparazzi. After all these years and all of the countless women he has wooed and likely bedded, he still needed to punish these women for wounding his ego and rejecting them (yes, I believe thats why he did it, whether consciously or not). In some ways, I believe he needs to keep jumping from woman to woman to prove to himself, those women and everyone else that he is a man so desirable that he can toy with and drop even the world’s most beautiful women. He parties too hard and leaps from increasingly dangerous activities with little regard for his own mortality (check out the Men’s Health recent article) and can’t seem to ground himself. It doesn’t excuse him acting like an ass towards himself and others, but that man is totally lost spiritually and emotionally and is spiraling out of control.
In a Bonnie Hunt interview (and another article I read that I can’t recall) he mentioned that his father had abandoned him for years, came back into his life at 16, only to die of cancer at 22 after a relatively brief reconciliation. He admitted that he cried and experienced terrible pain after his father returned – and soon after his father died, his wild partying behavior spiraled out of control (obviously related to this emotionally devastating situation with his dad) and led to him getting fired from his law job right before qualifying to be a lawyer. He not only had to face the fact that his father had abandoned him (which would’ve devastated his feelings of self worth) – and, you don’t need to be a genius to see just why he decided to be a part of Chasing Mavericks with both his and Jay Moriarity’s characters dealing with father issues (and was so reckless he almost died filming it) – but he also was dealing with feelings that he let his family down. He said his family was looking to him to be the first lawyer in the family, a prospect which was a source of incredible pride to his mother. Since he was fired from that firm, he clearly pursued fame relentlessly to prove that he could do even better. In many respects, to turn those professional and romantic disappointments into spectacular success is unbelievably admirable – and makes him someone for whom I have extraordinary respect, even if the stories that make him out to be a cad are true.

Watching him with this in mind is terribly saddening because it doesn’t seem that all of the success has filled whatever hole in his soul that drove him to this success initially. He just seems to be spinning directionless toward danger and excitement and empty relationships with pretty, famous women — but the man clearly is chasing shadows and now at 43 doesn’t seem to have much substance in his life to anchor him to anything (except, I hope, his mother).

The guy fascinates me because unless you really read what he’s said and piece it together, he’s some rich, famous playboy living a dream life. However, I believe the truth is that man is spending his life chasing more and more harbingers of professional and romantic “success” to overcome deeply ingrained and crushing feelings of inadequacy. A beautiful, sad figure – tragic unto himself and any woman who genuinely believes she will find a satisfying life partner in him. After all he’s suffered and what he was able to achieve to overcome it, I truly wish he finds true happiness and acceptance in himself and a soul mate who will be capable of loving him (and whom he will be capable of loving).
I definitely don’t know him, and maybe I’m doing a little projection of my own issues onto him and romanticizing him without sufficient justification, so I might be wrong, but I just thought maybe someone should defend him and make a case on his behalf that is more than just about his looks.”

I copied it here because I thought it was very well written and didn’t want it to disappear. I think you are very on track with your observations. I will add that lots of the negative posts on these threads reflect the disappointment many long-term fans have with GB’s life choices and work. Many here have followed him for a while, because at first they found him refreshingly down-to-earth and approachable. But that enthusiasm has turned, in many cases, to frustration and disgust. Are fans too invested in this man, for good and bad? Yes. But I think much of the “hate” is really just disappointment and frustration that he does not seem to get it. But of course, that is his path, and no one can make him do what they think would be the right thing. He has to figure things out for himself, and maybe he just won’t.

And who will save this “sad” “tragic” figure?? His poor “soul” is languishing right now…somewhere in L.A. most likely…probably on it’s way to Starbucks actually …awful really isn’t it?? ;) …*sigh*

Trying to figure it out @ 11/28/2012 at 10:58 am

He’s back on TMZ; they had him on last night – twice. Once as a joke using his phantom face.

Strings of Lights @ 11/28/2012 at 10:59 am

@repost from other thread:
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Don’t forget that his mom told him his father was dead for years before he showed back up in his life.
In the mean time Gerry just found big success 7 yrs ago and I think he is enjoying it and the money it has brought. So I say let him have fun for now. He will settle down when he is ready.
But usually when someone is constantly seeking the approval of the opposite sex they usually are insecure about something about themselves.

Strings of Lights @ 11/28/2012 at 11:00 am

@Trying to figure it out:

Did they play the butlered song?

Saveyourpity @ 11/28/2012 at 11:08 am

@@repost: This was well-written and heartfelt, but as one who was also abandoned by my father, I have to take exception to his choices. Yes, abandonment causes all kinds of issues, lack of self-esteem being the most dominant, but as adults we all have to face the reality of our childhoods and do whatever it takes to overcome it. There are millions in the world who’ve had worse obstacles to overcome than abandonment by a parent. Far worse. He has exceptional good fortune and resources, and yet imo is very self-indulgent and narcissistic in how he handles his “issues.” Most likely for the very reason that he CAN indulge himself with whatever diversion he chooses, instead of dealing with it head on, which is what most have to do, and what most do with the grind of everyday life to deal with as well. I wouldn’t feel too sorry for him if I were you. There are millions out there who are more deserving of pity.

@Strings of Lights: Is that true? His mother told him that his father was dead??!!

@Runt:

So because he has money and fame means he should be happy? Most people are their own worst enemy, no matter how successful they are. Most “successful” people are that way because they are fighting with the insecurity of their childhoods. It’s what drives them. Let’s not forget all the celebrities who died of drug overdoses or suffer from debilitating mental illnesses. Living life under a microscope would send me to the funny farm. And GB has this unhealthy obsession to be liked and wanted. That is clearly unhealthy and maladjusted.

Strings of Lights @ 11/28/2012 at 11:22 am

@Whaaaat?:

That is what G said in an interview.

Strings of Lights @ 11/28/2012 at 11:23 am

@Saveyourpity:

Very true but, I have lots of pity and prayers to go around.

Trying to figure it out @ 11/28/2012 at 11:29 am

@Strings of Lights
No, not last night. They just asked him a question about who he would have on his voice mail if he changed it – he said “His Mum”. The TMZ girls weren’t impressed, said it indicated a Mamma’s Boy! I’m not sure what day the clip was filmed; it was at night and I doubt if he would have been back in LA from Miami for it to have been last night.

@Strings of Lights: wow, um… IF that is true…that might have something to do with his behavior towards women if you think about it.

Sunshine Daydream @ 11/28/2012 at 11:35 am

Mr. Butler is one of many, many people in the world abandoned by a parent. Just because he is famous does not mean he deserves any more pity than anyone else. And he was allowed those 6 years to spend with his dad. How many never get that chance? As far as being discarded by girlfriends, his alleged behaviour with women shows he learned nothing and has no empathy. Sorry, tender subject for me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All