Kelly Clarkson: Clive Davis' Memoir Has False Information About My Music!

Kelly Clarkson: Clive Davis' Memoir Has False Information About My Music!

Kelly Clarkson responds to Clive Davis‘ memoir The Soundtrack of My Life, which addresses her musical success.

The 30-year-old singer wrote on her WhoSay blog, “So I just heard Clive Davis is releasing a memoir and spreading false information about me and my music. I refuse to be bullied and I just have to clear up his memory lapses and misinformation for myself and for my fans. It feels like a violation. Growing up is awesome because you learn you don’t have to cower to anyone – even Clive Davis.”

Kelly added, “First, he says I burst into “hysterical sobbing” in his office when he demanded ‘Since You Been Gone’ be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn’t be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way.”

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Kelly’s letter about Clive Davis?

Click inside to read the letter in its entirety

Hey y’all,

First, he says I burst into “hysterical sobbing” in his office when he demanded Since You Been Gone be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn’t be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way.

But, yes, I did cry in his office once. I cried after I played him a song I had written about my life called “Because Of You.” I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a “sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me.” He continued on about how the song didn’t rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with. But I continued to fight for the song and the label relented. And it became a worldwide hit. He didn’t include that in the book.

He also goes on to say My December wasn’t successful because I co-penned the album and it didn’t have “pop hits”. Well, first let me say, I’ve co-penned many of my “pop hits.” Secondly, My December went platinum (It sold 20,000 less than All I Ever Wanted which followed My December.) Hardly a huge failure. “Never Again,” the ONLY single they released in the US from that record was a Top 10 hit. I am very proud of that and I have my fans to thank. But, again, what’s most interesting about his story is what he leaves out: He doesn’t mention how he stood up in front of his company at a convention and belittled me and my music and completely sabotaged the entire project. It never had a chance to reach it’s full potential. My December was an album I needed to make for myself for many reasons and the fact that I was so completely disregarded and disrespected was so disheartening, there really aren’t words to explain…

Anyway, I love my job. I love my music. I love my fans. I love my label and all of my professional relationships… now. And I am grateful for Clive for teaching me to know the difference.

Cheers to another amazing year! And, as always, thanks for listening!

KC

• Big Brother Season 8 winner Evel Dick Donato gets hit by a car- TMZ
  • Maitland Ward's dress is definitely something you can't miss- Huffington Post
  • Anais Zanotti shows off her body in a yellow bikini - Hollywood Tuna

Go Kelly! and I love that song ”Because of you” one of her best songs

Honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Clive Davis did that.

glad she set it straight. the top dogs of the industry, puppetmasters, whatever you want to call them – they are all idiots with no sense of integrity.

DemiTasse @ 02/19/2013 at 7:40 pm

I love Kelly and I remember that she & Clive didn’t get along and she left. I admire her. Clive didn’t get to be Clive Davis without being sort of slimey and cut throat. I believe he was underhanded and I believe he had no respect for her. I am glad she has so much success that getting slammed by someone as big as him won’t hurt her. She’s very brave and very talented. I like that she is strong and not some stupid puppet. A lot of those American Idol people did listen to Clive too much and where are they now.

I liked that era. It’s a shame her music isn’t so good any more. :(

greenieweenie @ 02/19/2013 at 7:45 pm

good for her. I am so sick of seeing people–usually women!–being steamrolled by the forces that be. Clive Davis sounds like a relic of the past. Get out the way, cuz haven’t you heard? we don’t gotta take it anymore.

Good for Kelly for speaking up and setting the record straight! Kelly at least tries to do her songs her way and fights for the sound to be her own, even if it’s against the wishes of the so-called moguls like Clive Davies. Oh, and Because of You is my all-time favourite Kelly song!

Clive Davis is an industry icon whose memoirs thanks to Miss Clarkson will now be a best seller. Clive Davis needs to send her some “thank you” flowers, LOL!

good for kelly!!!!! that old dude is trying to steamroll her and get some attention for herself.

Preach, girl!

Good for Kelly! Wow, some people will say anything for money…

SammiPage @ 02/19/2013 at 8:15 pm

Clive is a legend she has no respect for him . Kelly already had a record deal years before idol and she was dropped. If it wasn’t for Clive no one would know who she is now. And she still on Clive record label she didn’t leave.

On the one hand I think Kelly should stand up for herself. However, this note is just giving more publicity to this book which is really the opposite of what she wanted to do. I, for one, hadn’t heard a thing about it and probably wouldn’t have if she hadn’t called attention to it.

What a freakin’ mess.

Clive Davis has been very disrespectful with artists at times, but he wants to make money first, and artistic freedom is not high on his list.

It is what it is. She signed with the wrong label. Hopefully she’ll learn to look before she leaps.

Fave Song of hers maybe is MIss Independent.

Standing up to him yeah riiight, Kelly Clarkson’s head had ballooned so big during that time. We were there and those tweets here who were agreeing and cheering her up are either ignorant or have a short term memory Kelly Clarkson was acting like a diva and behaved like she was more accomplished than Whitney Huston or Mariah Carrey. If She has a legitimate complain about the book then she can sue but if not she should just behaved an act like a professional on her next label.

Like a BOSS. Love her for doing this

offtheproperty @ 02/19/2013 at 9:04 pm

Everyone knows you followed your own heart and prevailed by making history with your great songs and stunning soprano, Kelly.
Don’t be too hard on poor old Clive Davis.

Kelly strikes me as an arrogant and ungrateful person. If it weren’t for Clive, she could not have broken through as a successful artist. Sonshe shiuld be thankful to Clive for that. Arrogant because saying at the Grammy you haven’t heard about a person (Miguel) is tactless. Thruthfully, her My December album sucked.

Man the harpoons!

@freya:

Hey, freya, he started it. He writes a book, and he had a huge career, he has a lot of stories to tell, so why go after Kelly Clarkson? He lies on Kelly. You can look at the numbers of her sales to see the facts don’t resemble his version. He is using his own book to take a shot at her. He must really hold a grudge. And then he cut her about her song writing. Prolly bcz he wanted to take a bigger cut off her work. If he got the writing credit he’d get the royalties. He is old school.

I have no problem giving props,and he has a lot of accomplishments. So why did he single her out to smear? I guess being old school means he thinks all she should do is show up and sing and let Old Clive handle everything else. Like the $$$. Don’t think just because he is Clive Davis he can’t be wrong. He has been wrong a lot, and you don’t get to the top in that business without being a cutthroat.A lot of artists don’t stand up for themselves and end up getting screwed out of their money. I’m with Kelly. People need to talk up for themselves.

Andamentothat @ 02/19/2013 at 10:37 pm

Go Kelly!

Kelly is just disrespectful and ungrateful. No one would even know her name if it wasn’t for Clive. I don’t mind her musical differences with Clive as most artists do disagree from time to time. But publicly disrespecting him like this is making her look bad and it’s tacky. Her choice of words is too harsh and the tone is mean spirited. I’ve lost respect for her.

Kelly better take to strains of his hair left on his head and SNATCH! Clive is nothing but a lying bully. Why wouldn’t she want Behind These Hazel Eyes which she wrote on the album? The whole chapter is basically Clive wanting to get attention. Nobody uses you anymore Clive. Go. Away. You. Peasant.

Dance in the Dark @ 02/20/2013 at 6:21 am

Shut up Kelly you fat slob.

I think most music moguls try to manipulate their artists for profit. Clive promoted Whitney in her first decade as a white washed music artist. Yes “Because Of You” is an amazing song and Kelly sang it with lots of soul
Strange because Clive usually has a great ear. Big balls on her for speaking up to Clive! She is badass, and refreshingly natural, plus she sang live at the inauguration! Go girl!

this makes me appreciate My December even more now

nothing against Katy Perry,Rihanna,Lana Del Rey,Beyonce etch..but,I just REALLY thinks that SHE IS the best singer of our generation.Im not joking.this,along-side ‘my december’ shows why.KELLY FOREVER

Kelly is amazing! I absolutely love her and I’m happy she had the guts to set the record straight. Now we all know what kind of man Davis is. That’s pretty sad. I too have looked up to him for years. For someone to belittle anyone and tell them their work/songs are sh!tty is low and disgusting.

poor Clive Davis.. Kelly has alot of publicity right now so HE IS USING KELLY…perhaps to sell his memoir…btw clive davis THANKS! THIS TIME “MY DECEMBER” will HUGELY publicized….KELLY IS THE ONLY ARTIST WHO WROTE ALL HER SONGS IN ONE ALBUM..what a TALENNNNNTTT!

whateveritisitshallbe @ 02/20/2013 at 6:17 pm

I absolutely adore Kelly for once again setting the record straight.

This is not and probably will not be the last time that she’ll have to speak about this but what amazes me is that she hasn’t changed her story whatsoever from the moment this has happened. ANYONE who has followed Kelly, her career, and the craziness that was My December knows that every single time she has spoken about this, the mistreatment bestowed upon her, and how she was essentially belittled because she dared to speak against Clive Davis KNOWS she’s telling the truth.

There was absolutely no reason for him to talk about Kelly in his memoir. To be quite honest, he’s not even truly the reason she’s as known as she is right now. She’s done that with pure talent and determination. That’s not to say that he didn’t play a part in the beginning of her career, because he did. But he didn’t hold her hand like he essentially did with Whitney. That’s who he should have been focusing on when it comes to which artists he’s helped along the way. But considering he wasn’t always the best nor had the best intentions with Whitney either, I can understand why he would feel the need to bring this up once again.

Given who Clive Davis is and how much clout he has in the industry, why would Kelly want to sabotage her career in this manner? She has absolutely NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose. She’s not being whiny, pathetic, ungrateful or whatever else anyone wants to say what she is; she’s simply coming back with the truth in which lies have been spoken out against her. Matter of fact, before speaking on this, go back and do your research. It’s clear who is in the wrong here and their name certainly isn’t Kelly Clarkson.

Go Kelly! Got to love that girl!