Jennifer Lawrence Wins Best Actress Oscar, Falls on Stage

Jennifer Lawrence Wins Best Actress Oscar, Falls on Stage

Jennifer Lawrence was the big winner in the Best Actress category at the 2013 Academy Awards held at the Dolby Theatre on Sunday (February 24) in Hollywood.

The 22-year-old actress won the award for her work in the film Silver Linings Playbook.

Jennifer beat out Zero Dark Thirty‘s Jessica Chastain, The Impossible‘s Naomi Watts, Beasts of the Southern Wild‘s Quvenzhane Wallis, and Amour‘s Emmanuelle Riva for the honor.

When she went up to accept her prize, Jennifer slipped up the stairs and Hugh Jackman ran to her rescue!

FYI: Jennifer is wearing a Dior Haute Couture dress, Chopard jewels, a Roger Vivier clutch, and Brian Atwood shoes.

Jennifer Lawrence Falls on Oscars Stage

jennifer lawrence wins best actress falls on stage 29
jennifer lawrence wins best actress falls on stage 30

Getty
  • Lisa Kudrow completed her jury duty in one day- TMZ
  • Watch the new music video for Hunter Hayes' song "Tattoo"- Just Jared Jr
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip

her big oscar moment and she falls up the stairs,haha that was hilarious. congrats to her for winning

OMG!!!!! Jennifer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can’t believe she fell!! But I’m so happy she won :D

YES JENNIFER WON!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m so happy. I love her so much. She’s just amazing!

Really happy for her and Ang Lee and Christoph Waltz. They deserved it so much :)

Jennifer Lawrence was amazing. I’m so happy for her. She deserves it.

Congrats Harvey.

she will forever be remembered as the person who fell when going to accept her award. would have liked Riva to win but well done to Jen

She didn’t deserve it. This Oscars are such a fake promotion crap.

Ohh Jessica!!!

OMG!!!!! I LOVE HER!!! im sooooo happy she won she totally deserved it… and she didin’t fell she was on her knees thanking the LORD!!!!!

The Oscars = VMA.

Go Jennifer! She’s the best actress of her generation.

So happy for her! She was amazing in SLP! Can’t wait to see what’s next for her

Wow! She won an Oscar AND got rescued by Hugh Jackman. Lucky girl.

Rahul Kattie @ 02/25/2013 at 12:05 am

Awesome! A human moment at the Oscars. Academy Awards Best Actress Winner Jennifer Lawrence falls at Oscars 2013 Video here

I was rooting for riva, but good for jen she did great. stay press people.

It was a cute fall!! LOL, but congrats to her for winning!

Yes, yes, yeeeees! SO deserved!

I love LOVE love this girl and I am so happy she won…Hey as Ben Affelck said it’s not how many times you fall it’s how you get back up!!!!
And she stumbled indeed but she WON after a long road she won!!!!

OMG! She’s so amazing, beautiful and so talented. I’m very happy for her. She deserves the oscar. Congrats Jen…

I love her but her acting in SLP wasn’t that great

I…………… I have no words

Good for her!! She’s just SUPER! She was SO great in Hunger Games too. She just shines in everything she’s been in! What an awesome girl! I LOVE her!!

Beautiful, talented and down to earth. She has never acted like a snob….cough cough….unlike Anne….who is a snob…..disappointed she won. Totally deserved the win!

Jessica Chastain should ve won

She must have felt embarassed about the fall but at least she has an Oscar at 22 to make her feel better! LOL!

I am so happy for her! She made Oscar history tonight. First down syndrome person to ever be nominated and win an Oscar in its history. Congrats! [Sigh] It was so boring…I watched Mob Wives and it was fantastic. I rather see Big Ang any day than these annoying, starved, high, boring white bread so-called actresses today. Where are the stars? I think Michael Douglas and Dustin Hoffman were looking too…and then were disappointed when they looked out in the audience and saw the likes of Anne Hathaway’s rabbit teeth and Hugh Jackman’s crazy eyes and long nose. What really got me is who announced the Best Movie winner. I will never watch this red carpet and award show ever again! Hollywood has drained itself of talent and stardom and we are left with scraps.

Come on, it was not Hugh Jackman, but Jean Dujardin, last year’s winner of best actor ..

She handled falling so well, made a quick joke then onto her speech. I love her!

@woodly: i think you’re a retarded person

nutcracker @ 02/25/2013 at 1:05 am

@woodly: she doesn’t have down syndrome–she has a friend that has and great for her. I looovveeee her dress too! :) she looked simple, sweet and complimentary. I think she’s great. I really liked Emanuelle too. :)

@Paulina: thinking and knowing are two different things!

@nutcracker: really? she doesn’t have down syndrome? ugh, omg, this is news to me! okay…how about simple minded? does that work for you? Like Keenan Ivory Wayans said, the demand for talent in comedy [and Hollywood] is greater than the supply available! She wins for what? And that buck tooth white mouse won! For what? Hollywood is so white washed, boring, talentless, and pathetic that I appreciate old Hollywood more and more! At least they had talent and gorgeous looks! I rather look at Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor any day before I look at the scraggly “thangs” on the red carpet.

She didn’t deserve it, but it would be even worst if Jessica Famewh_ore Chasfake had won, she is terrible in American Revenge for 9/11 aka ZDT, she only got a nomination because of the controversial around the movie, nothing else.
Emmanuelle Riva is the only actress who deserved this Oscar, none of the other nominees deserved! but lobby is bigger than talent in Hollywood, right Harvey Weinstein?

dont hit i'm belgium @ 02/25/2013 at 1:57 am

i guess she has many double stunt if she just can’t walk without to fall

andtheawardgoes2 @ 02/25/2013 at 2:21 am

Don’t worry Jennifer, you are already a major favorite of everyone’s because you don’t give us that Hollywood BS, you act real and don’t take things too seriously. If anything, that fall made us all realize how wonderfully human you are.

LOL Excited much

So the award giving bodies are now Predictable . Why watch the show when you know whose going to win.

I’m so glad she fell. Can’t stand her!

i might be a fan of hers but i don’t think she is the best actor TBQH..

@woodly: well now i know you are a retarded person

i just dont get the excitment on tumblr (about her)..
she falls on the steps.. so? how is that unique.. i just dont get it =/

i know she’s trying to relate to the ‘average’ girl but im just not buying it

i miss the old days.. you know like 5 yrs ago when every actress hated each other.. jlo was going out with some dude and married to another.. angelina was making out with billy bob and her brother with a blood vile around her neck.. at least that sh&t was real.. the oscars now are just smoke and mirrors

iloveukatniss @ 02/25/2013 at 4:00 am

katniss! u deserve it! I’m looking forward for Catching Fire. :)

She didn’t deserve to win an Oscar this year. Anyone who knows anything about acting would say the same thing. She was good in SLP, but not that good. There were far better performances. I feel embarrassed for her, because if she still has one iota of self awareness she will know that award should have gone to the French actress, with over fifty years in the business my god has she earned it. Shame on the Academy. I know how quite a few members vote, they are extremely bias and lazy. Once again shame on the Academy.

I am really beginning to loathe Harvey Weinstein. JL only got the award because of him. Riva should have walked it. I like JL, she has great potential, but Riva is the finished article. Weinstein such an ungracious greedy git.

@NoNo:

I ddin’t like Amour. for Riva to win when she spent half in bed as a vegetable… no.

Sorry but it was Jean Dujardin (french actor), not Hugh Jackman!

@Paula

Ahh but what a vegetable. Even comatose Riva ran rings around untrained but very enthusastic Lawrence.

You know who tried to help her when she fell?, Hugh Jackman…always the gentlemen.

Love Hugh!
Love Jennifer!

Congrats Jennifer! I’m sooo happy she won!

Shame about the fall, but it means nothing, she got an oscar!

@Lou:
Hey, your in America, king of promotional crap!

@Lou: Couldn’t agree more! She is an ok actress. Average. But NOT for an Oscar….It seems that they start losing their worth!

Jennifer is AMAZING.

She was absolutely lovely, even after tripping on the stairs. She was not crying buckets like many of her predecessors (Halle Berry and Gwyneth Paltrow) and was still able to be funny and adorable.

Gorgeous actress and wonderfully human.

DESERVED IT 100%.

No she doesn’t. You shouldn’t give an actress an Oscar, just because she reminds of that really sweet girl who works at Starbucks.

@Susan:

Correct. He is the real winner :))

Her fall is so classy tho !!! I love her ;)

Juicy Lucy @ 02/25/2013 at 7:21 am

Now I know that Harvey Weinstein bribed and bullyed a win for Jennifer. I think she stumbled over her ego. She was clearly upset that she lost the BAFTA because Weinstein has no influence overseas. Her performance was good but not the type of performance that is Oscar worthy. Heck, Reese Witherspoon could have played Tiffany in her sleep. She’s starting to become someone who feels they are entitled to win every award that comes her way. Yes, she’s successful due to the Hunger Games and X Men franchise but the real test of her ability to draw an audience will come with the release of Selena. She, not Bradley will be the draw and if the film is not a success, she will get the blame.

mrs j.hutcherson @ 02/25/2013 at 7:32 am

omg !!!!!!!!!!!! (scREAM) for about 20 minutes
mom:ARE YOU OK WHATS HAPPENED IS SOMEONE IN HERE
me/jessica:yes yes yes im fine but loook look look jenifer lawrence won best actress at the oscars
mum:JESSICA LINDSAY ANGELA NEWTON DONT SCARE ME LIKE THAT WHO IS JENIFER LAWRENCE ANYWAY
me:O_0 mum get out
mum:but i just tell me who she is..
me:GET OUT I CANT LOOK AT YOU
mum:fine ill ask siri
mum goes out

me i wish i got an oscar for best josh and jenifer fan sigh

JustJoanie @ 02/25/2013 at 7:39 am

I adore this girl so much. Falls yet still remains classy and beautiful. I would have waited for Hugh to put his arms around me and help me up though. ~heh~ Congrats to Jen!!!

Why do we need to focus on her fall, It just shows us she too is a human just like you and I.

@Lou:
Greetings
I agree with you.
Her role was so simple.
I think she have something of the character, so was no so difficult to act. Jennifer did a simple role, anyone can do something close to that.
Jennifer have to grow, she is very young. I a near future, she will learn how to act better.
Emmanuelle Riva deserved to win, because Hiroshima mon amoure( a beautiful classic love story), Amoure and others films she did in her long carrer. She is a veteran and an amazing actress comparing to Jennifer. In 1998 the academy did the same thing to Gwyneth Paltrow, a bad actress that represents always herself. Is like giving pearls to pigs. The problem is the marketing they give to much and not the most important the acting. I am glad i am european, the criteria here is eclectic in films and we have more different films that are selected, and also the actress and actors in my opinion act better and are humble people. The films here are about everything and deep. If you have noticed, Cannes, Berlin, Venece and others films festivals you see good films and good acting and with small budget and eclectic types of films. I am not saying that i don´t like films from United states of america, but you notice a big difference. I like some films from USA, but nowadays i prefer the classics.
Excuse me if i was to critic, but this is my opinion.
Regards

Wow what a fail… congratulations for your oscar!!!

congrats for the oscar….. Jen!! you rock girl !! and you looked absolutely stunning

I believe Jessica Chastain deserves the Oscar more … Anyway, CONGRATS JEN LAW !!!

She also campaigned very hard for that Oscar, has to be said. I know the hungergames fangirls won’t like anyone who points that out but it’s pretty obvious. Don’t mind her whatsoever, think she’s an ok actress. But had she not been American and backed up by mr Harvey Weinstein, she wouldn’t have won.
Should have been Emmanuelle Riva but Oscar lived it’s “it-girl” year. Sadly.
But grats.

She’s not cute or adorable, she’s rude and arrogant. But yeah little girls will find her so normal and down to earth.

I don’t know how old she is, but it looks like she did know? to lift up the front of her dress while walking up the stairs.

* she did not know to lift up the front of her dress….

so undeserved. all these awards shows where the industry tries to justify itself but awarding nothings with a statue and say it is prestige.

The fall is staged

I like Jen’s personality and I like the Hunger Games series. So I am not a Jen hater by any means. But I am sorry to say her acting in SLP was not that great and the other actresses in her category deserved it more. I was underwhelmed by her performance and blown away by Riva’s performance and Watts’ performance. Oscars have become disappointing to me…its who is POPULAR not who ACTED the best

cant even walk up some stairs… and this is what we call acting?

@Penelope: Most popular award went to her.
I put her acting at the same level as Kristen Stewert.
I don’t get why people love to hate on Kristen but really? She just seems moody that all and made a terrible mistake. I think she is quite pretty actaully.
Jennifer is as immature as her. Did you hear about her throwing the middle finger in the press room?
Oscar have become a joke.

i saw SLP also, jennifer wasnt really great there, i dont understand why she won. i guess weinstein is really powerful. its so unfair because naomi was much better in the impossible.

I’m so happy she won ))

as much as i LOVE her, she didnt deserve it. silver linings playbook is so overrated!

I’ve never seen anyone as physically and verbally clumsy as this clown. She says and does such stupid things, her skirt falls down, and she can’t walk up the steps. She’s a joke, and her acting is way overrated.

Oh dear.... @ 02/25/2013 at 2:27 pm

She’s seems like a lovely girl but she didn’t deserve to win over Jessica & Naomi. Her dress looked awful, liked scrunched up toilet paper. Of all the dresses she could have picked she chose one that looked so uncomfortable and least flattering on her.

I think she’s popular because girls don’t feel jealous of her, she’s attractive but not beautiful and has an average figure, the girl next door type.

@Mmmmm
I disagree with you there. I think she is beautiful and lovely (but still didnt deserve this award)

I trusted her, I knew that Jennifer was going to win the Oscar.
She deserves it because she is a great actress, has won the Oscar but also to the most important piece won (my heart)
I am a 12 year old girl but I love her as a sister.
Poor thing when he went to collect the prize he broke the dress and when he went to collect his Oscar tripped over her dress, it could happen to anyone.
STILL LOVE JENNIFER LAWRENCE.
I LOVE YOU JENNIFER LAWRENCE

She isn’t your sister and you’re 12. Try reading some proper books by writers such as Dickens, instead of mediocre capers like the Hunger Games. Then you might be bright enough – even at your young age – to grasp why JL should never have won an Oscar for SLP. God, kids today are so annoying.

She’s only 22 and she doesn’t even look so young…and she didn’t deserved the award at all…but that’s the strategy in the industry : the cute bimbo before great talent! I guess that’s life too…

Anca Ilisei @ 02/25/2013 at 4:17 pm

Mirabelle @ 02/25/2013 at 4:20 pm

Sorry, but Jennifer did not deserve this Oscar. She’s maybe a good actress, but not that good. And she’s so young to get it!

It was Riva’s 86th birthday on the night of the ceremony, and she’d flown over from Paris, despite ill health, to attend the event. And JL got the gong. God Weinstein is a sh*t. I feel like calling him worse.

@Mirabelle: Obviously, the Academy, the Foreign Press Association, and the Screen Actors Guild all thought she deserved awards. Stay mad.

falling down while getting an oscar would be the best day for most of us. Congrats J. Law, excellent dress to receive an oscar on. Great and genuine acceptance speech. More of J.Law please : )

Jokergurl @ 02/25/2013 at 5:39 pm

I’m glad she won, she looked lovely, I just loved her dress and I like her attitude she seems to take it all in stride even though she tripped; she’s refreshing and she just seems cool. I can see her as another kind of Meryl Streep, she’s quite versatile. I also loved that Anne Hathaway won, but I wanted Hugh Jackman to win although Daniel Day Lewis is always good in whatever he does. I don’t agree with best director choice, Ang Lee although he’s good he’s not as amazing as Steven Spielberg. I found it tacky that the White House was involved in this, they seem to pop up everywhere and it’s getting lame.

Gmaninhollywood @ 02/25/2013 at 5:42 pm

All that fashion fuss on the #oscars #red carpet. So comfortable with my red jumper from my mum’s haute couture.

As much as I like Jennifer Lawrence, she is not a good actress. She should not have won an Oscar. In fact, she should not have been nominated for an AA. There were far more deserving actresses. From what I have seen of her work she has hardly any range at all. She essentially plays the same character: a likeable, bright, funny, independent, attractive, young woman – herself. She is not witty, she is funny, there is a difference. She is most definitely not old beyond her years – unless, of course, she’s actually 15. Someone like Andrea Riseborough is a good actress. You would not recognise her in many of the TV dramas and films she has been in, because she has the ability to become someone who seems very different from herself. That is the old fashion way of acting. If you notice that’s what DDL does a lot. He would be even better at it if he wasn’t so famous.

Stephanie @ 02/25/2013 at 6:01 pm

She loves to kiss her Boyfriend passionately, on the Lips, on the neck, on his stomach. She knows how to pleasure a Man and keep him happy. Keep your Boyfriend happy at AthenaToysDotcom

amo a jennifer y mas por que salio en la peli de LOS JUEGOS DEL HAMBRRE

Who care, she wins that’s all that matter

1urbanfan27 @ 02/25/2013 at 7:34 pm

I’m happy that she won…The movie was wonderful…And she was wonderful in it…

The French Girl @ 02/25/2013 at 7:55 pm

@Lou:

Totally !

Love love her.

Jennifer……a breath of fresh air, what a sweetheart.. Congrats on your Oscar and humor .

She fell and what made me like her even more was that she made a comment about it when she accepted her Oscar. hehehe

I thought Jennifer Lawrence handled this fall very well. I was also happy to see her win the Award for Best Actress for her role in Silver Linings Playbook. I knew I wouldn’t be missing this year’s Academy Awards even though I was at work at DISH, so I recorded it on my DVR. I set up my DISH Hopper, using the PrimeTime Anytime feature, to record all primetime programs that came on ABC. This way I didn’t have to worry about setting up individual timers for both the red carpet coverage and the awards ceremony.

funnygirl @ 02/26/2013 at 4:27 am

i know jen is a great actress but her performance in SLP is not worth for best actress. Her role in that movie is not strong enough just like sandra bullock won the award a few years ago. i saw all her movies but i just like her little bit in winterbone.Her acting skill just like Kristen stewart good but not so great. the different is kristen choose more difficult role than Jen except twisuck. if my opinion the best young actress is Saoirse Ronan. She’s really talented but don’t have luck just like Jen. Poor Jen she must heard rumors about her but i bet she don’t care about that as long she won the award. sorry but her acting in SLP is so overrated and i also don’t understand how she won the award. thanks to harvey.

mo_chuisle @ 02/26/2013 at 6:07 am

Whoever had won (aside Wallis) it would have been deserved. The four ladies were equally great in so different performances and for different reasons. I beg to differ that Jen showed no range. She did and she even have done so in just one scene from her movie, let alone in the whole picture.
As I said I cannot pick a best from a bunch of equally good performances so do I think she was the best of last year? No. But she is extremely deserving of her award and hopefully she will keep on choosing interesting projects and do great job at it.
Congrats to her win :)

Natasha (Nataliya) Stasyi @ 02/26/2013 at 9:41 am

It’s almost for 2 days in top post on JJ. I eel I should comment on this. lol. What a “great” deal! haha. I personally was 4 Riva..

@funnygirl: Agree.
I like her but did she really deserve this for Sliver Linigs playbook?
I want to see more of her in some cool roles. Silver lingings role was not her time to win. She acted better in Hungar Games then this movie!
I was very diasspointed with most of the Oscars Winners and the show overeall. Please do not let Seth Macfarlene host again. He was bad like Anne Hatheway and James Franco hosting.

@Dejanu: Jennifer handled the whole thing with style and grace. And Seth was a brilliant host. He said out loud what everyone is thinking. Just brilliant!!!!

This fall was totally STUNT QUEEN!!! She is already did it in London.
Jennifer Lawrence wins because WEINSTEIN’s hustling and did no DESERVE it!!! Her role was supporting and if she go against Anne Hathaway there is no way she has a chance to win. She just happens to be in Harveys movie and by her own admission show up on set without knowing her lines. Her win pure FRAUD and if compare her perfomance to past winners like Kate Winslet or Marion Cotillard or Hellen Mirren or Charlize she looks weak and forgettable.

She looks like a great painting.

If it were a painting it’d be called Lost Love or something.

Anyway, I heard Jack Nicolson hit on the girl after the awards.

The dress stopped the fall! :)

Dirk_Reese-Fan_whatelse! @ 02/27/2013 at 6:51 am

It isn´t worse, that she fall on stage. Such things can happen.
***

It was not Hugh Jackman who ran to her rescue but Jean Dujardin !!

First of all, some gentleman from the schmuckass Academy should have been hired to escort the ladies up the stairs. It’s really difficult to see the stairs under a huge ballgown.

Secondly, I’ve never seen anyone fall so gracefully. She actually made falling elegant. Kudos to Jennifer on her grace and her big win!!!!!

I am getting all these feels from her deep ocean blue eyes!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAH FEELSSSSSSSS