Robert Downey Jr.: I'm Getting an Oscar One Day!

Robert Downey Jr.: I'm Getting an Oscar One Day!

Robert Downey Jr. is the “man of iron” on the cover of GQ‘s May 2013 issue.

Here is what the 48-year-old Iron Man 3 actor had to share with mag:

On the inevitability of his winning an Oscar: “I, personally, would be shocked if we went to the end of the tape now and I didn’t have at least one. …Because I’m young enough, and I’m running down being occupied with these kind of genre movies, close enough. Even the next thing we’re doing with [my wife], I’m so confident about it. It’s the best script the studio has; it’s the best thing I’ve read in years. You know, honestly, my real answer to that is: I don’t care. I used to think I cared, and I couldn’t care less. Now, I’m not saying I wouldn’t get a little choked up, but it is amazing to see how people are literally hyperventilating when they get up there, because they have such an attachment to this outcome. I mean, it’s not like we’re at the f–king Olympics or something. …Look, even if I don’t get one directly, eventually they’re just going to have to give me one when I get old. So no matter how you slice it, I’m getting one.”

On his acting abilities: “I’m probably one of the best. …But it’s not that big a deal. It’s not like this is the greatest swath or generation of actors that has ever come down the pike.”

On knowing what will and won’t work: “I’m very good at deconstructing. I’m a very good troubleshooter for why something is unlikely to work. And most everything is unlikely to work.”

For more from Robert, visit GQ.com!

robert downey jr covers gq may 2013 01
robert downey jr covers gq may 2013 02

• August Alsina has woken up from his three-day coma - TMZ
  • Justin Bieber has the new iPhone 6- Gossip Cop
  • Listen to Pia Mia's new song "Fill Me In"- Just Jared Jr
  • Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury did a duet together- Huffington Post
  • Watch a new trailer for A Most Violent Year- Lainey Gossip
  • David Ayer could be the director for Suicide Squad?- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Mayra Suarez shows off her amazing bikini body - Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

Nothing worse than an actor who makes films just to win Oscars.

I really enjoyed reading that interview. He’s such an interesting person. And I love it how close he and Susan are.

He certainly doesn’t lack confidence.
The truth is though, he is one of the best and probably should have won for Chaplin. I am glad he is making the most of being sober and is no longer a hot mess anymore.

At first I was going to criticise him for his arrogant responses in the first two quotes but I think I need to read these quotes in context because it seems like he might just be messing about and having a laugh.

On the other hand, if he is serious with those responses than I would hope that he receives at least one tenth of the vitriol poor Anne Hathaway has had hurled at her.

I love RDJ. This is how he talks. Watch his interviews they are always so funny because it seems like he does but he really doesn’t take himself seriously. He is kind of a prankster and I think when reading this it makes him seem arrogant but he really isn’t. It’s just his personality. Love this guy. He’s awesome.

eleanorbvvv @ 04/16/2013 at 8:41 am

If Harrison Ford didnt just got an Oscar he’ll probably won’t just get an oscar…
he should join Ashley Benson in “actors for the money, fame and awards” section.

You’ll never hear poeple who actually love acting going and talking about Oscars and stuff like that: case in point, Dakota Fanning, who sould have won like 6 by now…..

He’s too good for an Oscar.

He´s the best at being short. We know what you´re packing in your shoes Robbie, time to fess up

he’s simply amazing

“literally hyperventilating”… you know he was talking about Hathaway. LMAO.

Frederick W. Brown @ 04/16/2013 at 9:37 am

my neighbor’s half-sister makes $74 hourly on the internet. She has been without a job for five months but last month her payment was $15473 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here’s the site to read more… http://www.Fo25.cℴm

love him but message to RDJ…sometimes that being honest and this is who I am works with cute younger stars like Jennifer Lawrence….this comes off a tad too arrogant .

Question: He makes about $50 million dollars per film from profits. Why does he need an Oscar.

and of all the people he deserves one

He deserves an Oscar

@eleanorbvvv: Dakota?? really?? I hope you are joking! LOL

I hope he isn’t serious because that came off rather pretentious

an opinion @ 04/16/2013 at 11:15 am

How arrogant is this guy. For the last two decades he has done nothing to prove he is a great actor. Iron Man is him not acting. Sherlock Holmes has been done better. The other movies he has done have been forgettable except for Tropic Thunder which I will give him props for.

It’s official. RDJ has melded into Tony Stark.

eleanorbvvv @ 04/16/2013 at 12:38 pm

@sweety: ammm no, few of the movies: war of the worlds, I am sam,man on fire, the runaways, hide and seek, now is good…
You should really watch this movies before you decide I’m joking and it’s not about whether Dakota deserves an Oscar its about being humble despite a being talented.

groundcontrol @ 04/16/2013 at 12:45 pm

@sara:
He certainly doesn’t lack confidence.
##########################
Yea but it’s the typical confidence and false bravado of a drug addict. The drugs may be gone (maybe) but the mentality is a lot harder to kick.
I’ve always been rather fond of Downey but he’s not called Robert Downey JUNIOR for nothing. I imagine it’s hard not to have inherited some of the douchiness of his father.
I think some of this is just Downey having a go at readers and it may have been taken somewhat out of context. He’s also a real charmer which is why we cheer him on and are so ready to forgive him and welcome him back and why we are so quick to boo Lohan (who in my view is a much sadder case) and think her sins are worse. Well, that and sexism.

You all realize he was messing around right? Yeesh people take things way too seriously.

@eleanorbvvv: I really hope you’re kidding around. She’s not even the most talented Fanning sister. Elle in Ginger and Rosa owns anything Dakota has ever done. Mediocre actress.

eleanorbvvv @ 04/16/2013 at 3:17 pm

@Yohji: HAHA very funny.
Elle almost read the lines in that movie, her acting was way too forced.. You better watch War of the worlds to see some real Fanning sister acting skill.

I love it. What a great sense of humor, mixed with sarcasm and intelligence! He has a great mind, which is surprising considering what he has done to it ;)

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All