Tom Cruise's 'Oblivion' Tops Weekend Box Office

Tom Cruise's 'Oblivion' Tops Weekend Box Office

Tom Cruise‘s latest sci-fi film Oblivion has topped this weekend’s box office with a gross of $38.2 million!

According to THR, this marks his best North American opening outside of the Mission: Impossible franchise.

Coming in at number two was the Jackie Robinson biopic 42, starring Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford, which brought in $18 million in its second week of release.

The number three slot went to The Croods with a $9.5 million gross, bringing its total so far to $154.9 million.

Rounding out the top five were Scary Movie 5, starring Ashley Tisdale, and G.I. Joe: Retaliation, which made $6.3 million and $6.8 million, respectively.

Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper‘s new film The Place Beyond the Pines expanded nationwide into more than 1,500 theaters this weekend, earning an additional $4.7 million.

WHAT DID YOU SEE at the movies this weekend??

Photos: IMP Awards
Posted to: Box Office, Oblivion, Tom Cruise

• Chris Brown and Drake are collaborating on a track together- TMZ
  • Cory Monteith's dad opens up on his death after one year- Gossip Cop
  • Luke Mitchell has signed on to star in Members Only- Just Jared Jr
  • When will Blake Lively go live with her new lifestyle website?- Lainey Gossip
  • Mariel Booth shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

OBLIVION - Well Done @ 04/21/2013 at 12:47 pm

Oblivion was breathtaking!
A film that should only be seen in IMAX.
The screenplay may not be original or may give homage to too many previous films (WALL-E, Moon, Matrix,etc), but it works and Kosinski’s stunning visuals mixed with M83′s awesome sound is money and time well spent.

ALL ASIANS CAN READ MINDS!!! @ 04/21/2013 at 12:48 pm

YES!!!! ASIANS REALLY CAN READ MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!
The reason a lot of Asians have completely expressionless faces is to avoid accidently showing facial expressions when people think things they don’t Iike, find funny, astonishing etc, and they segregate so their not nearly as susceptible to that happening. Asians also segregate and are very untalkative to avoid accidently saying things that are similar to what people are thinking and going to say.
Try thinking and visually picturing things that are as wild as you can when you are around Asians, and look for Asians who give people dirty/particular looks for what appears to be for no reason.
PLEASE, PLEASE SPREAD THE MESSAGE!!!!!! THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW THIS!!!!!!

Well done.

"Tom's Sisters" @ 04/21/2013 at 1:11 pm

Saw it – Seeing it again

“The celebrity tabloids continue to pick apart Tom Cruise; moviegoers continue not to care. “Oblivion,” Mr. Cruise’s latest big-screen adventure, was a stronger-than-expected No. 1 at North American theaters over the weekend, with ticket sales of about $38.2 million.”

[re: NYT]

Didn’t get this movie? It was in the large i-max theater in my city and it was empty. More people went to see “42″ which was a better movie.

Felt like i was in a video game.

Tom was handsome and does not look like he is almost 50.

lydia oh lydia @ 04/21/2013 at 2:55 pm

Movie sucked. You could fly a plane thru the plot holes. It looks pretty but it has no story. Sorta like Cruise. Looks good but there’s nothing inside. Saw it in NYC on a Sat nite and the theater was only about a quarter full. Only reason its #1 this weekend is cause there’s no competition. After this weekend it will be done. Its just a bad movie with a bad script and Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise again,

I saw this movie, and it sucked. Way too slow, way too corny, and an ending that made Independence Day’s alien-busting Mac virus look plausible.

Not to mention you could practically see Tom Cruise’s love of his ego-stroking pretend bad@ssery as a permanent thought bubble over his head.

Strongly NOT recommended.

Fantastic movie, really enjoyed it, so well done, intelligent good story, and beautiful visuals. Glad to see it did well, always appreciated Tom and his movies, he has entertained me my whole life, couldn’t care less about his personal life or what he believes in.

For the third time I’ve seen The Place beyond the pines.

i wont never ever see a movie with Tom Cruise. Especially those where he pretends to act like a God

Suri the meal ticket @ 04/21/2013 at 4:53 pm

Wow, spending 5 hrs working the fan base paid back.
Heck, I always admire ant hard workers, the world runs on them and Tommygirl can be one of the hardest workers.
Good job! Even though I will not watch the movie but I wish Olga succeed.

@Suri the meal ticket:

I was watching today and could not. The cinema was packed.

Don’t get why people who know his movies suck still went to see it. All gloss and no plots. Bad word of mouth will snap people back to reality. I don’t waste my money on tc’s awful movies.

@Suri the meal ticket:

He was in Brazil promoting Oblivion and gave a show of sympathy. A crowd of fans follow him everywhere and always very friendly and attentive. Okay that 05 hours is overkill, plus it’s a person narcissistic and needy, needs attention. If Holmes thought it would ruin the career of Cruise … was wrong, of course broke a blood vessel, with more time nobody remembers. Let’s hope the 4th wife.

All tom does is corny action movies with a ton of CGI i cant
Scary movie beat gosling? Sigh

Kids dragged me to the movie today and I’m glad I went. It was terrific. It is a little slow in some spots, but that was the nature of the story. It was beautifully filmed and everyone who was in it was great. I know lots of people hate TC, and I’m no fan, but honestly, if I were to avoid movies that contained actors I didn’t care for, there would be hardly anything left to see. They are all a mess on a personal level, but I enjoy movies nonetheless.

I like most of Tom Cruises movies but I must say this movie was horrible. I was totally lost in the second half. Waste of good money.

Oblivion is the worst movie in the history of ever.
Soooooooo boring and long and pointless

Sincerely concerned @ 04/23/2013 at 9:47 pm

I heard he did well in the box office this weekend and was bummed… After reading these posts though, I’ve been cheered up. I wonder why he doesn’t put more character ( like in a few good men, Jerry McGuire, the one with Paul Newman) in these movies and they’re becoming all action. Maybe he’s lost that loving feeling. Fine with me because I think he is total ass. Maybe he just can’t fake it anymore.

Good news, go on!

How can Tom put more character when he was not the Producer, Director or Writer of Oblivion? Oblivion has made over 151 million worldwide so far. That must pique people who was wishing for him to come crashing down.