Angelina Jolie's Aunt Debbie Loses Battle with Breast Cancer

Angelina Jolie's Aunt Debbie Loses Battle with Breast Cancer

Angelina Jolie‘s Aunt Debbie has passed away after a battle with breast cancer, her Uncle Ron Martin tells E! News.

The news comes just weeks after the 37-year-old actress shared her brave decision to have a preventative double mastectomy to lower her risk for the disease. Debbie is the sister of Angie‘s late mother Marcheline Bertrand, who died of ovarian cancer in 2007.

Angelina has been in touch throughout the week and her brother Jamie has been with us, giving his support day by day,” Ron said. “They both loved Debbie very much and although Angie is not able to come right now she has sent her love and support which was very nice.”

“We have seen Angelina a number of times since Debbie was diagnosed with breast cancer and Debbie and I were both very proud of her recent decision to have the double mastectomy and to do everything she can to keep her family from having to go through what we’ve been through,” he continued. “Angelina‘s father Jon Voight has also been tremendously supportive—he came down to see Debbie last Sunday and spent the whole day, talking with her and sharing his love and I know Debbie really enjoyed seeing him and talking with him.”

Credit: Daniel Zuchnik; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Angelina Jolie

Getty
  • Channing Tatum is making a movie about his father's heartbreaking story - US Weekly
  • Did Prince have a prescription drug problem? - TMZ
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Empire - Gossip Cop
  • Shawn Mendes is dishing details on his new album - Just Jared Jr
  • Is Kylie Jenner buying Tyga a home? - Radar
  • This is Leonardo DiCaprio taking a selfie - Huffington Post
  • Beyonce kicks off her Formation World Tour in Miami - Lainey Gossip
  • Check out the complete list of TV pilots for the upcoming fall season - The Hollywood Reporter
  • Love the JoliePitts

Happy Holiday to all the wonderful JoliePitt fans. I hope every one of you and your families are enjoying this day doing everything families do when they get together to have a great time.
    A great big loving hello to my darling girls, Phool, Rose, Tish, Falp and all the fantastic posters on this site. I have been reading your posts and enjoying everyone of them and learning so much and appreciating so much your incredible insights. The JoliePItts have the BEST fans.
    Thank you FYI12, Annon, Neer, and all the posters who bring so many interesting articles, videos and pictures to share with us fans.
    God bless each and everyone of you and your loving families.

• cesar

@busted:

Well, her mother have write a book about Dirty-X (i don´t read) telling all the real things about the fake and disturbed mind that Jenanuston his.

It´s funny…. the jealous-haters like to talk about the bad relation Angie have with her father JV, it was deserved, he was a bad parent but it´s old news and it´s already resolved.

But Dirty-x do not talk with her mother, the person she born, give her love, education and give her everything after her father leave the home when she was a child. And now she have money and can do anything to help. she chose not do nothing.

It´s a prove that Dirty-x is a bad person, she have evil inside her.

Her mother was not invited to her weeding and she do not give her any help when she was in the Hospital very bad.

I don´t get the jealous-haters and Dirty-X lovers. why they are OK with this evil and stupid behavior with her mother?? She is truly a bad person.

• Josephina

@1Love:

Fried Chicken and Potato Salad, eh? Wow…You have something against American Southern cuisine? Anyway, chicken anything is definitely NOt my favorite.

Me..fat? Hehehehe…That was funnier than the food thingy you brought up.

What are you having for dinner? SPAM, Velveeta, fries, hot dogs,… and what else? I am so sure you are into healthy nutritional meals.

• Dawne

Shiloh Nouvel Jolie Pitt………….seven years old………she will be as iconic as her superstar parents; don’t know doing what as yet, but she will be something. Those genes, that love, the encouragement to artistically blossom naturally……..the global influence…..she will be a one of…….no doubt in my mind.

• Love the JoliePitts

Brad and Angelina’s Rose wine has the touch of excellence on it.
    I know nothing about “organic” wines but what I can say after sipping the delicious nectar from the Miraval vineyards…..oooohh la la. The Rose is simply perfection on he palate. (sp?) And what a wonderfully restful night I had after imbibing. Slept like a baby and woke up feeling very good.
    I am ordering another case because friends and family want to have a bottle of their own. The bottle is uniquely adorable.
    I am sooo glad, Passing Through, as you pointed out so succinctly, Brad is doing all the things he had in his heart all this time to do. He just needed Angelina by his side to give him the impetus, the inspiration and work with him. What a beautiful family they have created together. And what wonderful things they are doing together to help so many people.

• Premalee
  • Oregon Life

Angelina, you are especially in our thoughts and prayers. Big hugs to you and your family. Yes, cancer s^cks and hopefully we find cure soon.

• Love the JoliePitts

I don’t know if this was posted earlier. Please forgive if it is a duplication. From Elle.
    Angelina Jolie: Our Wonder Woman
    May 14 3:30 PM by Cotton Codinha

Angelina Jolie is officially a real-life superhero. In an Op-ed titled “My Medical Choice” that appeared in this morning’s issue of The New York Times, Jolie, who is as famous for her comely form as she is for her acting prowess, bravely shared that she has spent the last three months undergoing a preventative double mastectomy and breast reconstruction. Jolie explained that she lost her mother, Marcheline Bertrand, to breast cancer at age 56 and, upon learning from doctors of her own elevated risk of both breast and ovarian cancers (at 87 percent and 50 percent, respectively), elected to undergo the major surgery for the sake of herself and her children.

The famous beauty has never been one to shy away from difficult topics and has spent most of the past decade as an advocate and champion of causes ranging from acting as a special envoy for the of UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres to drawing awareness to the genocide of the Bosnian war in her latest directorial effort—so it follows that she would share her experience for the sake of education.

Jolie wrote her piece as a call to action, a clarion for women to take control of their bodies and make choices regarding their medical future. “Cancer is still a word that strikes fear into people’s hearts, producing a deep sense of powerlessness,” she wrote. “But today it is possible to find out through a blood test whether you are highly susceptible to breast and ovarian cancer, and then take action.… For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options.” Breast cancer kills nearly 458,000 people each year, and Jolie acknowledged that early detection procedures can prove prohibitively expensive (about $3,000 for the gene testing). But by sharing her experience, the Hollywood star became the woman in the waiting room, ready to hold your hand and help you wrap your brain around what your options are. Instead of hiding in shadowy medical language or benign platitudes, she touches on the mechanics of the procedure in layman’s terms (nipples, drain tubes, expanders, et al.) and describes the powerful, strange feeling of waking up with tubes inside of one’s body and knowing that this was the right choice. “The decision to have a mastectomy was not easy,” Jolie said, “but it is one I am very happy that I made…I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.”

• Dawne

@Josephina:

She’s having a Spam lasagna…….grease pan……..layer on spam, cover in loose Velveeta junks, next thin layers of wieners……more cheese…….layer of frozen fries……….more cheese and top with cream. Microwave for five minutes……..long enough to chug two King Cans of beer so you can actually stomach it.

You can find it on recipe.com under Troll Trash…….subtext of Trailer Trash……….eat like a hater………..click here.

• Some Bunny

Am so sorry to hear of Angelina Jolie & James Haven’s loss. I am sure their mother’s sister was greeted by her guardian angels, one named Marcheline. Angelina & James will keep her memory alive the way they do their own mom. Of course both spirit lives on in the souls of Brad & Angelina’s beautiful children.

Little Shiloh is 7 years old today! I imagine she is having a wonderful birthday with her family despite the grief. My goodness time does fly the JP family growing up and each shining little lights of their own. Happy Birthday to Shiloh Marcheline!

• 1Love

With a name like grace you shout know better judge and you be judge. I’m doing unto ST. ANGE what her hogs do to others . You don’t like it to to bad . Happercrates is the name names of you OLDHAGS .

• Old Jen

Not you taste not if yours run like barren old cow jen that cant keep a man with her cinnamon face leather skin and vapid brain who would want her for anything but her money. I mean she is always taking off her cloth and yet these guys ran she always takes off running
    Brad run
    Paul run
    Vince run
    Gerard run
    Bradley ran
    John run – OH year John ran twice
    She doesn’t need a brain with justin she broke up a 14 year relationship to get him but she paid good money for him

• miranda gladis

There are many of us on this planet who live with cancer and every day is a fight for us. However I believe that a healthy diet and a healthy mind set and plenty of rest to keep the mind stable, without overloading. on the what if’s and doing the things that we enjoy in life are pivotal to winning this fight, Brad loves you so very much and it shows in the way he looks at you, and you are a great mother and wife to him. Be Brave and stay strong.

• Queen Jolie

Happy birthday to the beautiful SHILO JOLIE PITT.Im sure you will have a wonderful and happy one.

• Barren Old Cow
  • Bitch#1

So, “Angie is not able to come right now…”

And just why not? Jolie knew that her aunt was on her deathbed.

I’ll tell you why not…
    because Jolie is a totally selfish attention whore who cannot stand anyone else getting any sympathy, that’s why not

• Re: 1 love

Lol BIITCH, you can’t make us stop talking! Who are you? You are nothing but a dumbass troll still in middle school. We are just laughing at your stupid ass thinking you can do something. All you are doing is making the hits for this thread go up! You sr contributing the the JP’s heheh.

• 1Love

Pasta with gravy and green salad. some juloto.

• yib

Gosh can u people able to keep one thread fr free from his exes and that disease of a case free. U r as dissgusting worest than them. You drad in shitt. Waste.
    Remember when all fail u regrate this. He is as diseases as his ex. And angie people enjoy this disgusting game. She the same. All waste

• Love the JoliePitts

Thank you Angelina for sharing your story with all of us. Here are just a few comments from grateful readers. What a blessing you are to sooo many.
    Gloria Hill · University of Southern Mississippi
    Thank you Angelina. I admired u before but this takes it to another level. Thank u so much for being brave enough n not giving into vanity. Because u r beautiful…. Still.
    Reply · 4 · · May 17 at 4:51pm

Sam Mattingly · Founder, CEO at SM Communications
    I think what makes it courageous is that she has chosen to use her story to up the conversation. I too could not afford the surgery, but I appreciate the fact that we have started talking about this again. Part of that conversation is about the fact that people like you and I cannot afford this treatment and what can be done about this. It is also about making sure that women remain vigilant. We must always keep this dialogue in play or else, like so many other things, it is forgotten and more will die.

Yasmin Ghadimi · Los Angeles, California
    Couragious!
    Reply · 3 · · May 14 at 5:0

Lor Botin
    You are an inspiration to every woman. I have always admired your kindness!
    Reply · 2 · · May 16 at 8:57pm

CM Miller · Atlanta, Georgia
    putting family 1st. Bravo!
    Reply · 2 · · May 16 at 10:21am

Jordan Sharpe · Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
    I love this, and absolutely love her generally, but particularly for the awareness she brings through all that she does, and particularly to something as personal as this. She is a total role model. (but, I think her mother died of ovarian cancer, not breast cancer).
    Reply · 1 · · May 17 at 6:51am

Yolanda Chavez Cabello Zuanich · Works at Trabajo para que cada dia sea un buen dia, de Paz y tranquilidad
    Very smart and practical. It really is the thing to do in her case!

Stephanie Adams
    My Mom had a radical double mastectomy over 30 years ago (she is now 84), my sister elected to have a lumpectomy, 3 years later had a recurrance and it metastisized, she died at age 57. I had genetic testing and it showed no BRACA gene, I am grateful for that, but if I could have my sister back, I would advise, take them off…..and live.

Blogspot NO NAME
    She’s AMAZING! And I admire her for being so humble. She & Brad have helped so much, God bless them.
    Reply · · May 15 at 2:04am

And for those who think they do not qualify because of money issues:

Susan Jones · Top Commenter
    I am not sure what I think. The test isn’t available to most women, and if you have the gene, then what? It isn’t considered medically necessary nor would the recon work be covered by most insurances. It is still a wealthy woman’s option, not mine. I opt for aggressive screening. Most of the women I know that have been recently diagnosed with various issues haven’t been tested in 5 years. Please check out Best Chance Network. It is a program for under insured/uninsured women for mammograms and cervical cancer screenings. Please check to see if it is available in your area.
    Reply · 3 · · May 17 at 11:16am

• Bitch#1

Furthermore, Jolie has portrayed her fancy boob-job as a double mastectomy! Her boobs are probably better now than they ever were before.

• Re: 1 love

@Bitch#1

At least they won’t be saggy like your idols cooch and tits.

• 1Love

Dawne is discribing her daily life hahaha. Did I make the moron loose her SH!T yea. Ha. Save your stinky breath rude ass . Bill bob left the boney one dide’n he girls? He was tired with her.

• Bitch#1

In the near future, Jolie going to have her twat makeover, and she’s going to try to sell it all as another ‘preventative’ surgery. It will prevent it hanging down to her knobby knees though.

• briseis

@Passing Through: Yes, isn’t it? So many changes have happened in those 7 years to most of us, including Jared’s metamorphosis from a simple blogger to this megablog owner, but we have never wavered in our admiration of the JPs despite troll infestation and mockings.

• yib

They don’t know how to be a fan without saying that bittch of a woman.
    The problem lies with not handling it right from day one that time past
    It wont be back and u cannot make it ok now. All u got to do is do the best NOW. How come his brain can not thing this.
    Angie too. He is stupid what is ur excuse why clinqa is still have to be here. A number. I prefer her better than any here but she is ad
    Like passing through and manny shitts addicted to fight. Why npt someone that is postive here instead ahhhhhhh
    May be I shouldnt post when I have a little…I dislike this yck all

• Bitch#1

I love jolie

• 1Love

Have you been in her cooch stupid? As for faces pancake face . Boney dry ass drumstick legs . Big enough mouth to suck an egg. Right?

• yib

She is addi.cted not ad

• Bitch#1

@1Love: ticky sausage legs looking like two fat hogs

• Bitch#1

@1Love: have you been in Angie’s boobs?

• 1 love

I love Angie secretly

• yib

Why busted here to iknow brad is not bright non of them cannot think but why this people who are addicted to fight? Why not postive people who no matter happen will let dead casees rest in peace discu and refuse to discuss let alone to re discuss.
    When there is a step a head for freedom and peace they will easily fail to their addiction of fight and 10 step backward.ah

• 1love

Ticky has a sagging cooch
    Lol

• 1Love

You the big fool talk about ANGE tites I did not their stupid. If you have to hide to respond you not worth a respond. I feel sad for some of you. I’m off to see the fast and the fury you know the movie about cars. What are the ANGEHOGS doing for the evening DUH.

• yib

Why busted here to know brad is not bright non of them cannot think but why this people who are addicted to fight? Why not postive people who no matter happen will let dead casees rest in peace discu and refuse to discuss let alone to re discuss.
    When there is a step a head for freedom and peace they will easily fail to their addiction of fight and 10 step backward. Is this worth it? Negative publicity that is gain by that case is no good. Better not to get no publicty. Better no have noting to talk about than that. It is proved it is better .

• Rebecca

I hope they still look reall. She loves to meet her new guy at MarriageMeetDotCom for Marriage Seeking Men and Women.

• yib

Waste and disappointing I don’t get it why I with my will clome to change this instead of …..

• Rebecca

I love Angie

• http://computer Susan

@fyi12: What a beautiful letter from Dr. Corn. Most of the medical community are praising Angie for the way she explained her surgeries and being pro-active.
    Angie’s op-ed piece was read World wide, from the many comment all over the Net.
    Sherri Shepherd from The View needs a brain transplant, and I don’t even know if that would help, she is way pass dumb.
    Barbra Walters is retiring in 2014, why wait, if she goes now, no one will miss her, why not talk about your daughter getting arrested again for drunk driving.

• geez

Who let these crazy troll dogs out.

• Rebecca

@geez: woof woof

• Lily

I wonder where JP family is. I am sure Shiloh is having an amazing birthday celebration. I can’t wait for London premiere.

• Love the JoliePitts

@CLINIQUA:
    Thank you for your well stated, powerful post! I could not agree more. I think this is another reason why Brad said, “I have a Bull’s eye on my back.”
    He is not speaking only of himself but of his family, Angelina included. He said what keeps him up at night is worrying about the safety of his family. (Words to that effect).
    I don’t think Brad is naive or stupid when it comes to how the X and her PR machine functions. He lived with the most vengeful woman seeing how she hated and treated her own mother. He has good reason to be wary and keep bodyguards around his family.
    “Angelina is not a b*tch, or a witch like them. They know it, and their fans know it. That’s why they go crazy. Angelina shows it in her every action, that they will never match up. That’s why not even Angelina’s humanitarian work, or her parenting, or her family grieving, or her incredible proactive steps to insure she stays healthy are recognized by them.
    Truth be told:they want her destruction. They want Brad to get his, in the worst possible way. I hate to say it – but I do believe it about Maniston and her ilk. Consequently, when they hear how Angelina is sidestepping cancer, or how she’s had another healthy happy pregnancy, or how she’s landed her own plane safely, or how she’s made it back safely from another war torn area, they’re disappointed.

• Love the JoliePitts

@fyi12:
    #236
    What a beautiful article. Thank you FYi12. I Love this part.
    “Yesterday, when I appeared surprised by a volley of questions coming from a previously shy breast cancer survivor, the patient assertively paraphrased an idiom about angels, “I want to be on the side of Angelina in this journey!” “So,” I told her, “do I.”
    An insight came just today from a patient of approximately your age who said, “Angelina Jolie has been endowed with so many gifts. Now we see, she has also been chosen.”
    My patient, whose mother-tongue is Hebrew, then helped me understand the nature of “choseness.”
    The synthesis of physical beauty and honed acting skills is a rare combination. A defect in the BRCA1 gene is an unusual event. The confluence of so many rarities is seldom seen in one individual. When oncologists like me try to put a rare event into perspective for the layman, we often make an analogy with winning a lottery, and then reflexively offer our standard joke about cancer being the lottery no one wants to win.
    Indeed, considerable fear and stigma still accompany a diagnosis of cancer. When one is chosen for something that is unwanted, the inclination is to ask “why me?” While many react with shame and reclusiveness, some paradoxically respond with curiosity and grace.
    You have decided to accept what is ostensibly an undesirable role and to dare us to maturely embrace the attendant challenges.
    Choseness is ultimately about responsibility.”
    Sincerely,
    Benjamin W. Corn, M.D.
    Professor and chairman, Institute of Radiotherapy, Tel Aviv Medical Center,
    Founder Life’s Door

• Love the JoliePitts

Angelina. You are truly a Godsend.
    God bless you and Brad and your beautiful family always.

• Love the JoliePitts

I have the feeling Angelina is receiving many well wishes and condolence messages PRIVATELY from many in the Hollywood environment. They are people too with hearts and feelings.
    Thankfully not everyone in the industry is hard hearted and uncaring as some have shown themselves to be openly and outwardly, eg. C Handler, Aniston, etc.
    I was hoping Ellen would speak openly since Brad and Angelina have supported her “causes” for so many years. I guess time will tell.

• yib

Suffer u brought it and by ur action u r kepping it.with this method u always lose in all.remember this.

• Love the JoliePitts

Off to enjoy the Holiday. Thank you to all the Veterans who gave and give so much so that we can live freely in this amazing country of ours. God bless every one of you.
    God bless our Leaders who make decisions for us. Thank you for giving them wisdom to choose wisely.
    Phool, my darling. I wish you a wonderful holiday and must tell you how much I miss seeing your posts today. I hope you are not stuck in the dreaded Mod situation. We will talk soon my dear.
    Rose. Welcome back. You were missed so much. I am glad you had a wonderful trip. You have your very pleasant memories and a very full life to live.
    I have been working on my yard and planted some Plumerias. My girlfriend gave me a very rare piece. I put in some more gardenias, I finally have learned to grow them and a beautiful mirror plant. I love looking out at my yard from my back windows. It is beautiful. I have family over now and the kids are playing kick ball and running all over the grass and screaming and laughing and having so much fun. Complete chaos as Brad says but it is a nice sound hearing them having fun. The sun is shining brightly but I have some umbrellas out there over the tables for shade……and comfy chairs with cushions for the gang to sit in. It is a beautiful day.

Again. Happy Holidays to all the fans. And here is to the BEST birthday ever to our Beautiful Shiloh Nouvel JoliePitt and comfort and peace in the hearts of Brad and Angelina and all the family.
    God bless our beautiful JoliePitt fans alway.

• anustin

nah….anjie happened to pop children…..some can not afford to have it!