Matt Damon Talks Brad Pitt's Celebrity Status to 'Esquire'

Matt Damon Talks Brad Pitt's Celebrity Status to 'Esquire'

Matt Damon shows off his endearing smile on the cover of Esquire magazine’s August 2013 issue.

Here’s what the 42-year-old actor had to share with the mag:

On his pal Brad Pitt‘s celebrity status: “If you can control the celebrity side of celebrity, then it’s worth it. I look at Brad—and I have for years—and when I’m with him I see the intensity of that other side of it. And the paparazzi and the insane level of aggression they have and their willingness to break the law and invade his space—well, I wonder about that trade. I remember telling him that I walk my kids to school, and his face just fell. He was very kind, but he was like, ‘You b*stard.’ Because he should be able to do that, too. And he can’t.”

On keeping his married life private: “I got lucky, I fell in love with a civilian. Not an actress and not a famous actress at that. Because then the attention doesn’t double—it grows exponentially. Because then suddenly everybody wants to be in your bedroom. But I don’t really give them anything. If I’m not jumping up and down on a bar, or lighting something on fire, or cheating on my wife, there’s not really any story to tell. They can try to stake me out, but they’re always going to get the same story—middle-aged married guy with four kids. So as long as that narrative doesn’t change too much, there’s no appetite for it.”

On child actors: “My mother thought it was child abuse. She literally did. She was a professor who specialized in early childhood development, and she thought putting a child onstage or in a commercial or in a movie was child abuse. So when I did Elysium with Jodie Foster, I asked her. I mean, she’s basically been acting since she was born. I figured, if anyone’s going to know, it should be her, right? So I asked her. And she sort of smiled and said, ‘It depends on the child.’”

For more from Matt, visit Esquire.com.

FYI: Matt is wearing The Frye Company boots.

matt damon talks brad pitts celebrity status to esquire 01
matt damon talks brad pitts celebrity status to esquire 02
matt damon talks brad pitts celebrity status to esquire 03
matt damon talks brad pitts celebrity status to esquire 04
matt damon talks brad pitts celebrity status to esquire 05
matt damon talks brad pitts celebrity status to esquire 06

Credit: Max Vadukul/Esquire
Posted to: Magazine, Matt Damon

A&E

Wow, I like Matt but why is he talking about Brad Pitt?

He speaks the truth. He was smart to marry a civilian. However, I think Brangelina invites the paps in. When has either one not dated a fellow celebrity? Thy feed off of the press.

‘You b*stard.’ @ 07/08/2013 at 12:47 am

Dude, don’t gossip about your friends.

Sellout.

I understand what he means however, he could tell his story w/o the name dropping. This is like 2nd or 3rd interview he has done this using Brad’s name. I’m sure brad is not phased by it but it sounds like he’s bragging or maybe a wee little jealous because he’s not sought after.

i’d much rather have matt damon’s life than brad pitt’s.

Please give us a break Matt and leave Brad and Angie in your interviews! Angelina alone is a lot big business not just paps. Promote yourself without always bringing Brad. Trust your self that you are a good actor!

can't help who you fall for... @ 07/08/2013 at 1:56 am

@Danni: I don’t think you can help who you fall in love with… Also, the actors/actresses have a unique working environment where they are thrown together becoming close right away, I suppose. Also, most of them are nice-looking and of course they have a lot in common. I think most of us happen to fall in love at our jobs as well. Most of us have had a crush at work.

this man is what i would call a phenomenal actor. almost up there with tom hanks for me. he is very intelligent too, which is refreshing.

@Ummmm: Looooool Matt doesnt need to be jealous he is a great actor who gets every sort of scripts. Its what actors want, to get work and to dont get put in a box for the characters. Why should Matt be jealous ? This means if Daniel Day Lewis would speak about other actors whos private life are more known he is jealous ??? Sorry but not everybody is jealous at brangelina, some feel just sorry for them that they cant live their life in a normal way.

Matt is a great guy.

I like Matt too, but this is at least the second interview where he mentions Brad and his lack of privacy, and also the fact that he doesn’t get that kind of attention cause he married a non famous woman. Come on Matt, don’t you have anything new to say? Hopefully the rest of the interview will be more interesting.

Not everyone wants to marry a divorced bartender, glad it worked out for him.

Wow – A rare interview where a superstar does not make it all about himself. Most interviews these days is all about how perfect their life is and what they want to teach you so u can be a perfect as them (Gwyneth, Jennifer A.). This seems like a genuine conversation bt 2 buddies. The interviewer asked him about BP, and he was being honest. He wasn’t dissing him, just saying how his celebrity status is so high up there. It’s kind of interesting information. Never taught of BP walking his kids to school. Yep, he’s right, it would be sheer madness.

One of greatest actors and classiest guys around. Absolutely LOVE everything about him. And you Brangelina fans are waaaay over sensitive. He obviously likes Brad and feels sorry for the level of harassment he has to endure. But Angie obviously needs it due to her own emotional baggage, so it ain’t gonna stop.

@kami: also agree with Kami.

Matt is sweet, he likes Brad and Angie, thats why he talks about them. He is one of those few actors who have worked with both of them and friends with them. Both brad and angie also like him, so no prob if he talks about them.

Media Wh@re MANiston @ 07/08/2013 at 9:29 am

@Danni:

I like Matt and I don’t have problem with him dropping Brad or Angie’s names.

As for Brad/Angie invite papz, how the fug do you know. They are a famous/powerful couple. The papz would kill to get photos of this couple/family.

He always mention Brad to be heard. …Not cheated on my wife bra.. bra …then who has! Stick to the point or stop mentioning brad. We all know where you first met your wife bud! Just wonder ….Brad envies you Matt?

he always makes it out that his wife is goody two shoes. but she wasnt married before not that it matters but she wasnt a angel. he should stop making up stories.

I like Matt and I know he likes the JPs.. but really stop. He mentions Brad in almost every print interview. Brad and Angie are not complaining about their lives. They seem to handle all that craziness quite well. and manage to travel and do all manner of things that the press never get wind of. I’m sure it is a hassle but you do what you need to do to have a private life. And after finding out about Angelina’s surgery it is clear that they manage a very private life. There kids are not photographed on a daily basis. And again they are not whining in the press about the paps nor are they talking about their friends in their interviews

Matt your life should be the topic. You don’t have to always compare it to Brad’s. He is not complaining. In fact he seems very happy with his life. Regardless of the press.

I really like Matt Damon!

Well said Roseanne!

@Roseanne:
The kids are not photographed on a daily basis? Yes they are, Meryl Streep is an example of not being photographed by a paparazzi on a daily basis. Compared to that standard of privacy, the jolie-pitt kids are way too famous and are like the justin bieber of celebrity kids.

@lissa:

Wow. What a snobby comment.

Matt Damon is a great actor but yes it’s like his 3rd interview mentioning this…does he have a subconscious complex about not being as famous as Brangelina (stupid nickname by the way)? I guess if you had to talk about yourself all day long you’d get hella bored and veer off course and try and divert attention to someone else.

@jai:

Really I guess I missed that. And please stop throwing up Meryl. Meryl became famous long before the internet and the crazy gossip sites. And the reason Meryl is not photographed is because her pictures don’t sell. fact and that is how it is. Yes the JP kids are famous because they are the kids of two famous people. and that being the case those kids are not seen that much. AND when they are the gossip site post their pics all over. So it seems as if they are. We only just saw some grainy pics of Brad with his daughters. And those girls had not been seen in a few weeks.

and you can count on ONE hand the number of time they have been seen this year. And they are famous because people are obsessed their pictures sell. Matt and his family don’t sell. So yes he can walk all over and the paps don’t care. But take a look on this site and there are many pics of Matt and his family. thing is rags don’t buy them and Paps can’t make money by selling their pictures.

You can blame Brad/Angie all you want. the people driving that demand is the public. And Matt is not helping. Do your friend a favor and stop talking about his life. He is not talking about yours.

Matt like to deflect before a reporter ask him if it is true that his wife was in the oldest profession.
Funny thing Matt is not a close friend of Brad’s or vice versa, Brad don’t name drop in his interviews, now if Matt is so smart, what’s with the name dropping every time he is promoting a movie.
Newsflash, Matt it is supply and demand, Tabs don’t buy your family picture because they don’t sell, too much teeth.

Love me some Matty, Benny, and Georgie Porgie who makes the girls cry:)
Seriously, Matt appears to be level headed who was lucky to find love and a career that is remarkably successful. Totally fantastic!!
He has dear friends in Hollywood that have high profile relationships with women in the same lights as them, and it’s not a easy road.

Anyway, I’m patiently waiting for Matt and my long lost love(Ben),to reunite on the big screen together:) Let’s get to it boys!!!

Peace*Love

@rj: Because if he does not mention an actor whose movies actually make some money no one would talk to him.

@rikki: Obviously, your dictionary defines “phenomenal” grossly different than the rest of the world. Beyond Bourne and Dead Poet Society he has had bit parts in the Ocean series . Those made bank but the rest of his films were bombs. He says the same stuff in every interview. No one follows him around because he is boring.

@Roseanne: I agree with you Rose. I am sure Matt is talking the opposite. The point is Brad and Angie are both big businesss and big names, Famous than him.

I respect Matt as a friend of Brad and an actor but he really should stop falling into some chinnistons by mentioning Brad every now and then. He wanted to be the sexiest man alive just because he is a friend of Brad and George. I think he want to be famous now by bringing down Brad. Brangelina rocks!!

SMH.i dont think he’s name dropping.why should he?he’s a famous actor himself n gets enough publicity.he’s just thanking his stars that his privacy doesn’t get invaded as much.good for you matt.

The interview is very interesting. He tells many things praising his wonderful life though. Such a lucky man I suppose.

Methinks Matt doth protest too much. Mention Brad once, it’s okay, but twice, thrice? Either he’s running out of things to say or something else. Makes one go hmmmmm.

@Jocelyn: Brad anecdotes are always something new.

Love The Shoes @ 07/09/2013 at 9:54 am

@rj: Well, if you read that part for comprehension it would have explained why he was discussing his good friend. We do not own these people or their words or anything about them and as such, he can talk about “his friend” as much as he wants.

Love The Shoes @ 07/09/2013 at 10:01 am

Some of you have lost your ever loving minds! Brad Pitt would probably think he has the weirdest “territorial” bunch of fans in the world! We do not own these people! I’m not even a Matt Damon fan but damn! Maybe the interviewer ASKED him about Brad Pitt! Why is it name dropping?! Guess what ppl? HE actually KNOWS BRAD PITT PERSNALLY! we do not. Now put that in your pipe and toke it.

@rj:

for the same reason you’re reading this rag. why not?

British Latin American @ 07/11/2013 at 2:42 pm

God, Brangelina fans are childish.