Cast of Guardians Of The Galaxy - Just Jared Spotlight

'Gravity' Stays Strong, Tops Weekend Box Office for 3rd Week!

'Gravity' Stays Strong, Tops Weekend Box Office for 3rd Week!

Gravity, the huge hit film starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, has topped the weekend box office for the third weekend in a row with $31 million brought in, for a total of $170.6 million earned domestically!

Rounding out the second place spot was Tom HanksCaptain Phillips, which brought in $17.3 million at the box office this weekend.

Carrie, starring Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore, opened this weekend and earned $17 million, under performing studio predictions.

Rounding out the top five were Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 with $10.1 million, and Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone‘s Escape Plan with $9.8 million.

Benedict Cumberbatch‘s The Fifth Estate disappointed in its limited release with $1.7 million earned from 1,769 locations. Brad Pitt‘s 12 Years a Slave brought in $960,000, impressing at the box office.

WHAT DID YOU SEE at the box office this weekend? Vote in our poll below!

Posted to: Box Office, Gravity, Poll

John Parra/Getty

Enjoyed it immensely @ 10/20/2013 at 12:41 pm

I saw it in 3D — must see in 3D. I felt like I was living through it.

Twelve Years a Slave was incredible! Extremely powerful story, imagery and performances. Just give it all the Oscars now!

I am glad 12 years a slave is doing well. I went to see it. I never cried while watching a movie, ever.

There should be supporting nods for the actress who played Patsy, Michael Fassbender, and a best actor nod for Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Saw Gravity and was totally disappointed. The special effects were good, but a stupid movie otherwise. So overrated. But if you mention Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, it doesn’t matter if it is good or bad. Critics will say it is good and moviegoers will go.

I am F-ing bitter.

lol

I loved Gravity. So glad a real movie is doing well at the box office.

spoilers included @ 10/20/2013 at 6:56 pm

@Louise: The only thing great about Gravity was basically the way everything looked in space… the camera work, etc. The story was quite unbelievable. When people died, Sandra and George’s characters could have cared less. There were no tears or sadness or even shock at the presence of the crew’s bodies floating around. A real person would have cried or something at seeing their co-workers dead. Also, when George decides his fate, he’s almost happy about it. He wasn’t serious at all. That was so unreal. All Sandra says is she is going to get him. How would you feel knowing you were going to drift in space fully alive. And if I had to leave someone like that, I would have nightmares about it afterward, wondering the terror in his mind and how he would eventually pass.There should have been more serious dialogue……… So far, the best I’ve seen this year: Captain Phillips (#1), Rush & Star Trek. Waiting for The Counselor.

@spoilers included: I think you’re wrong. If you needed to fight for your life at every second, would you stop and weep for five minutes? Oxygen running out? No problem, let me just cry for 10 minutes. Debris coming by. No problems, I’ll just keep crying and whinging.

55vineyard @ 10/20/2013 at 11:53 pm

@Enjoyed it immensely: I am sorry but I hate 3D, it normally gives me a headache.

55vineyard @ 10/20/2013 at 11:59 pm

So far, I have not seen anything worth seeing this year. This is a comment from a pmerxon who used to see a movie per week, sometimes two. However since my husband passed and I am living on Social Security and a small amount from mfy IRA, I have to be very selective. Even the discount theather (I am 65) is $4 plus $4. or more for a small popcorn.

spoilers included @ 10/21/2013 at 1:21 am

@Drina: I’ll give you that, as far as not crying when debris and everything is flying, but Sandra’s character barely flinched even then. If I saw someone’s face gone, I would have at least gasped and possibly started hyperventilating for a moment. There should have been a moment of some type of breakdown or realization of what all just happened. If they could have saved the entire emotional scene until she arrived on the beach toward the end, that would have been realistic. Sandra’s character was way too matter-of-fact. And seriously, George should have been afraid knowing he would die floating in space. I think I would rather have a gun put to my head than float out there.

spoilers included @ 10/21/2013 at 1:26 am

@55vineyard: I was a movie buff too. It was not rare for me to watch 2 movies a week. But films have been really poor since around 2008. They took a nosedive along with the economy. I thought “Captain Phillips” was very good and worth my money.