Cast of Guardians Of The Galaxy - Just Jared Spotlight

Oscar Nominee Lupita Nyong'o: I’ve Worked Hard to Feel Beautiful in My Skin

Oscar Nominee Lupita Nyong'o: I’ve Worked Hard to Feel Beautiful in My Skin

12 Years a Slave Oscar nominee Lupita Nyong’o shows off her amazing beauty in these close up shots from Glamour magazine’s March 2014 issue.

Here’s what the 30-year-old actress had to share with the mag:

On if makeup bolsters confidence: “I went to an all-boys high school, and they accepted girls in only the two A.P. classes. They had these archaic rules: For example, girls couldn’t wear makeup. I found it so outrageous that an all-boys school could tell girls to not wear makeup! So I went on a campaign. I got a petition signed and everything. If a girl wants to wear makeup to boost confidence, why not? [But] I’ve worked hard to feel beautiful in my natural skin. Personally, I don’t ever want to depend on makeup to feel beautiful.”

On her skincare secrets: “I love using natural oils. I use avocado oil and Hawaiian Kukui Oil on my face. I like to keep things natural, simple, and straightforward.”

On getting into character for her emotional 12 Years a Slave role: “I remember in my very first fitting, [costume designer Patricia Norris] gave me a garment with these intricate stitches—stitches over stitches, because it had been repaired so many times. Once I put it on, she told me that it belonged to an actual slave woman. My heart just stopped. Each one of the stitches had a story, you know. Just recognizing this period I was going to be dancing with was a “come to Jesus” moment.”

For more from Lupita, visit Glamour.com.

oscar nominee lupita nyongo ive worked hard to feel beautiful in my own skin 01
oscar nominee lupita nyongo ive worked hard to feel beautiful in my own skin 02
oscar nominee lupita nyongo ive worked hard to feel beautiful in my own skin 03

John Parra/Getty

Her skin always looks so smooth.

first and last post @ 02/11/2014 at 4:52 pm

What a beautiful and classy woman. More power to her in everything she endeavors.

she is gorgeous and has the most flawless skin

My god this black ***** woman is here again

She is absolutely stunning….I never get tired of looking at this woman.

@Charlene: wow somebody is still living in the slave period. wake up to the 21st century KKK b**** and stop hating on a truly talented, humble, elegant, and stunning woman. im a white girl and when i see white people still acting ignorant about this bs it pisses me the f*** off. id love to punch you in the face :)

@Charlene:

Ignorant people like you shouldn’t post comments at all!

Class all around @ 02/11/2014 at 5:23 pm

I love Lupita. She is so elegant and classy. I realize that she comes from and very posh background but it is still amazing that her grace seems so effortless.

truth Hurts @ 02/11/2014 at 5:32 pm

I love watching her interviews. She knows exactly how to be funny, insightful, and anecdotal. Can’t wait to see her in future projects.

Erin Jane @ 02/11/2014 at 6:03 pm

Her intelligence makes her even more beautiful. I wish young Hollywood would step up their game and look at the way Lupita carries herself as education for themselves. I’m tired of seeing such young, talented, and beautiful girls parade around with their ‘bits’ out (Miley, Rita Ora, Rihanna, Beyonce, etc.) and either carry on a ditzy conversation (Katy Perry) or show their trashy mouth (Kristen Stewart, Jennifer Lawrence). They have so much talent going for them that they don’t need to be that way to get fans, attention and respect. For all we know, Lupita could have a trashy mouth as well, but the fact that she knows a professional setting is not the place for it shows how smart and classy she is. She’s so humble and beautiful. Lupita is able to be real and still command respect and that’s why she’s getting respect.

I am really hoping that HW gives this beautiful african american women a got damn chance to prove herself I know its early in her career but she honestly deserve it and I wish her well in all of her projects.

truth Hurts @ 02/11/2014 at 6:23 pm

@Erin Jane:
It seems that trash gets rewarded these days which is sad. All the trashy women you mentioned are now super rich. I think that we are still very much a male dominated world and women have to work within the confines of who they are allowed to be.

Hopefully Lupita can break the mold but I am doubtful. Hollywood still muzzles those with brains and talent and rewards those who fulfill their dirty fantasies.

SHe is very pretty!

I’m totally pulling for a win at the Academy Awards. Gorgeous woman!

@Charlene:

You’re a jealous P.O.S.

She tells Glamour magazine she uses Hawaiian kukui oil on her face. Every photo I’ve seen shows her glowing complexion and skin.

Erin Jane @ 02/11/2014 at 9:12 pm

@truth Hurts: Sadly, you’re right. If she makes even a small impact to begin change then that’s great in my book though.

@Tiana: she’s not african-American. To be African-American… You have to be American. African or Black is fine. I prefer those terms over “African-American” bcuz people don’t know how to use the AA term properly.

That story about the stitches is quite scary when you think about it…..

@Jiffy:

I’m with YOU! Hate the freakin’ term ‘African-American’. One of my friends who I have know since grade school was called ‘African-American’ and she told person, “I’m not African! I’m a black chick from Georgia”. I almost fell on the floor after she said it.

This woman is GORGEOUS!! She’s talented/smart/and gorgeous — a triple threat.

unfortunate quote to put with photos that are so fake photoshop looking!