Lupita Nyong'o WINS Best Supporting Actress at Oscars 2014!

Lupita Nyong'o WINS Best Supporting Actress at Oscars 2014!

Lupita Nyong’o picked up her first Oscar at the 2014 Academy Awards held at the Dolby Theatre on Sunday (March 2) in Hollywood.

The 31-year-old actress won the award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for her transcendent work in the film 12 Years a Slave.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Lupita Nyong’o

Lupita was nominated against American Hustle‘s Jennifer Lawrence, Blue Jasmine‘s Sally Hawkins, August: Osage County‘s Julia Roberts, and Nebraska‘s June Squibb.

Who else thought Lupita was a true princess working that dress on her way up the stairs?!

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Lupita Nyong’o winning the award for Best Supporting Actress?

Valerie Macon/Getty

A truly well deserved win,this is just the beginning for Lupita.

she totally deserves it!! im so happy for her!!

Now time for my husband Leo to win Lord please make this happen.

awww what a beautiful, eloquent speech. CONGRATS LUPITA, YOU DESERVE IT!!!

Snow White @ 03/02/2014 at 10:21 pm

WONDERFUL. Congratulations Lupita! Sally Hawkins also did a great job but sorry I’m glad a Woody Allen film missed out here.

Lupita won! Lusitania won! Such a joy. I am still crying.

She won over Jenn Lawrence? Finally! Don’t get me wrong, I like Jenn Lawrence too, but Lupita Deserved it!!

aquarius64 @ 03/02/2014 at 10:22 pm

Congratulations, Lupita!!!!

yeiiiiii so happy, congrats to her , she totally deserves it!

Lusitania ? Bad bad auto-correct.

Yeah!! Love her. So elegant!

She deserved it! i cant stand jennifer lawrence

Her speech was so good!

@lana:

Congrats to Lupita, I hope your career blossoms. Lana, no need to bash Jen Lawrence though.

Congratulations! She deserved the award, and she looks so lovely!

Glad the Academy got it right

Christopher Teoh @ 03/02/2014 at 10:34 pm

Seriously, I’m so sick of J.Law !! Can’t she stop tripping over her dress and she’s really OVERRATED right now!! Whereas for Lupita Nyong’O, our favorite QUEEN!!! Congratulations sweetie, well-deserved award, truly marvelous/outstanding performance in 12 Years A slave , make us proud, make Kenyans proud, make the WHOLE WORLD proud of you!! Astonishing, and tremendously EXQUISITE!! Great job Lupita!!

So very well deserved!

one trick pony @ 03/02/2014 at 10:35 pm

never see her again

Yayyyyyyy I’m SO happy she and Leto won!! The two most deserving! <3 Yeahhhhhhh!

nice speech. she kinda had to win but I thought Julia Roberts gave a better performance in her film.

@Christopher Teoh:

Again congrats to Lupita she deserved it, no need to talk bad about the Jen Lawrence or the other actresses in the category. Just enjoy that Lupita won!!!

“Doesn’t matter where you are from.. Your dreams are valid”
Congratulations Lupita!

Yes!!! Very much deserved for this beautiful, talented lady!!

one trick pony @ 03/02/2014 at 10:39 pm

not attractive enough to hold one in lala land

Dontmeantoberudebut @ 03/02/2014 at 10:40 pm

Queen? Oh please, enough of the slave movies! And enough with the fake phony compliments. If you think she is so attractive then I know for a fact that someone better bring up Jayne Kennedy now! I rather look at that woman right now than have to look at this man who won for best supporting actor. Where are the attractive Black WOMEN? Where??? Why wear a plunging neck gown when you have a huge scar in the middle of your pecs? Ugh, Hollywood was run out of people with looks, I’ll tell you that right now.

adjusting contrast @ 03/02/2014 at 10:42 pm

Not racist after all.
We’ll see who wins Best Pick though.
Will The Academy relapse?
lol

@Dontmeantoberudebut:

You’re an idiot and a nutjob….get help….fast.

YES…!!!!!!!!AWESOME..!

“Jen Lawrence has Nick Hoult on one side and Bradley Cooper on the other y’all draggin her for tripping but y’all are the ones whining at home while she’s at the Oscars drownin in **** so who’s the real winner here”
&
“Whatever happens tonight, please remember that Jennifer winning doesn’t mean she’s a racist or that Lupita winning means Jennifer didn’t give an Oscar-worthy performance. Both are charming, talented women who have a big career ahead of them so don’t pit them against each other for something they have absolutely no control about. Hate the Academy all you want, but don’t hate them. ”

thought some of you hating on Jen needed to read that.
other than that, congrats Lupita!!!! you’re a princess!

They need to make a rule at the OSCARS that giving shout-outs to your children at home is not allowed. It is very off-putting and not the place to be doing your own little agenda. One woman said, “My children would never forgive me if I didn’t say hi to them… “hi blah and blah!” Go away you annoying cow!!!

It is a given already that Lupita would win. The others were great too, no doubt, but Lupita was just simply the best this year.

one trick pony @ 03/02/2014 at 11:10 pm

not the best
just great PR for the academy
one trick pony

She is the BEST!!! I love the dress:)

willy_wanker @ 03/03/2014 at 12:49 am

why mention the part about your dream is valid? She comes from an influential family…

Yay... and Excellent Speech! @ 03/03/2014 at 1:42 am

@Dontmeantoberudebut: You seem like a black woman. In fact, I’d bet that you are. Lupita is a cutie, but what I find MOST attractive about her is her personality. It’s the entire package. If I saw her on the street and didn’t know her, I’d say she is attractive, but I probably would not rave on and on about her. However, once I saw her talk and the way she carries herself, well, yes, she could be a queen. She could easily pass for royalty. The woman has class! I don’t see many females like her in Hollywood — white, black or anything else. She seems so sweet and so decent. I love her and I would hope that other black women would not try to tear her down.

@one trick pony:If not Lupita, then who else should have won? Tell us, please…

well f***ing deserved!! i’m in love with jlaw, but lupita had to take, without a doubt

Dontmeantoberudebut @ 03/03/2014 at 9:56 am

Actually, I am a white Latina. White Latinas are the only Latinas who are beautiful and deserve to win awards such as Sofia Vergara. Not gross ugly Zoe Saldana

@willy_wanker:

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought it was a great speech, until she mentioned that “it doesn’t matter where you come from” bit. She made it sound like she came from a poor background, when she actually comes from a very influential family.

Barkhad Abdi is one who can claim that “it doesn’t matter where you come from” bit though, because he really does not come from an influential background at all.

@ashley: I didn’t take it like that. IMO, it has nothing to do with money. She still had a lot going against her. Lupita is a foreigner. Plus, she’s a black woman AND African. What she has accomplished is amazing. Many American black actors cannot get work — and they are well known!. In the movie “Non-Stop”, she played a role that was practically useless. I think Lupita was basically telling the young people not to give up on their dreams – no matter who you are, where you came from or your circumstances. Dreams are possible. She was being motivational. We still do not know if she will go on to be a really big star. The chances are actually slim because of the way Hollywood works, but at least she is shining at this moment. No one can ever take this away from her.

@Dontmeantoberudebut: Oh Wow! Thank you for letting us know where you and “One Trick Pony” stand. Btw, DO NOT believe you. Who mentions Jayne Kennedy except a black person? Kennedy was beautiful 30 years ago, but not anymore. In fact, she very likely might weigh over 200 pounds.

Catherine @ 03/03/2014 at 8:38 pm

@Tiana:

Don’t know what you mean by this. Can you explain?

Her performance was decent, but I don’t think she deserved to win the Oscar. Again, I feel the Oscar committee got carried away with Lupita and probably felt that if Lupita and 12 Years a Slave were not awarded Oscars there would be some controversy with racial overtones aimed at the Oscar committee. I have seen all of the nominated movies and I feel that 12 Years a Slave could have been written in a more powerful way to demonstrate the plight of Soloman Northup. I do not feel it deserved Best Picture. Lastly, Lupita had one powerful scene, which was an obvious one. I don’t anticipate her breaking out in other future roles. She had her moment. Time will tell.

@leilagirl: That”s okay. That’s just your opinion. Halle Berry won an Oscar also, and it was mostly because of her wild sex scenes with Billy Bob Thornton. Many people hated that she did those scenes, but it got her an Oscar. I loved Tom Hanks’ movie, but most of his great acting was toward the end of the film. Those last emotional minutes iis what really made his performance spectacular. Seriously, people should just be very happy for Lupita. J. Lawrence is young and she still has plenty of great opportunities ahead of her. So does Adams, I think.

and also... @ 03/05/2014 at 2:16 am

@leilagirl: Just because Lupita didn’t dominate the entire movie with a lot of scenes is not her fault. That’s the role they gave her and she took it. The fact is, Lupita is an actress. She CAN act. She studied acting. I believe the Academy really appreciates that. I sure would. I’m sure she is versatile, but will Hollyweird give her the opportunity to prove it? Unfortunately, I doubt it.

@Christopher Teoh: so you dislike her because she tripped over a dress twice ? Seriously grow up man. Why do people always think they have to bash one person just to praise another. This always happens everytime a new actress comes out people have to say the old one is overrated and talentless. Instead of just realizing that both women can be talented at the same time and if we support one another. Women can be more powerful in the industry. But nope we must spread hate