Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin Split After 10 Years of Marriage

Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin Split After 10 Years of Marriage

Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin are going their separate ways after 11 years of marriage.

“It is with hearts full of sadness that we have decided to separate. We have been working hard for well over a year, some of it together, some of it separated, to see what might have been possible between us, and we have come to the conclusion that while we love each other very much we will remain separate,” the 41-year-old actress and the 37-year-old singer wrote on her website.

The couple added, “We are, however, and always will be a family, and in many ways we are closer than we have ever been. We are parents first and foremost, to two incredibly wonderful children and we ask for their and our space and privacy to be respected at this difficult time. We have always conducted our relationship privately, and we hope that as we consciously uncouple and coparent, we will be able to continue in the same manner.”

Gwyneth and Chris tied the knot in December 2003 and that they have two children – Apple,9, and Moses, 7.

ARE YOU SURPRISED that Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin split?

Photos: Getty
Posted to: Chris Martin, Gwyneth Paltrow, Split

Getty
  • Lisa Kudrow completed her jury duty in one day- TMZ
  • Watch the new music video for Hunter Hayes' song "Tattoo"- Just Jared Jr
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip

Love The Shoes @ 03/25/2014 at 6:23 pm

Not much shocks me anymore and “stunned” is the most over used adjective on the planet when it comes to describing something pertaining to HW/celebrities but, right now? It IS the only word I can use to describe my reaction.

Never thought they were together in the first place so this is no a shocker.

They cheated on each other nonstop, so no big surprise. At least they don’t continue to keep up a phony facade.

No, not surprised. Don’t care. Just… “conscious uncoupling”? Pretentious brat.

Love The Shoes @ 03/25/2014 at 6:27 pm

@ivana: I’m not a fan of either (like her more than him but don’t love her) but I thought they were in the celebrity marriage success column. She adored her dad and I remember an interview were she said Chris was someone very close to her father personality speaking. Never wish a break up on anyone and so I hope it’s a friendly parting.

oh my…conscious uncoupling? is that the new word for divorce?

What!? I did not see this coming although I probably should have

Love The Shoes @ 03/25/2014 at 6:32 pm

@yeah: And you know they cheated how? When ppl say things like this as if they have irrefutable truth I personally expect those facts to be revealed so it can’t be denied and so will you be providing proof?

Completely NOT surprised by this announcement. It was amazing they had been with each other for 11 years in this world surrounding them with fame, fortune, and so forth.

Hopefully, the kiddos will be ok through this tough transition as divorce hits the hardest for the kids. But, I’m sure if the parents are cordial and kind to each other, it will be fine.

No person is perfect, and life is a journey of trials and tribulations.

PEACE*LOVE

I bet they will have the most civilized break up in HW history.

Couldn’t happen to a better bi*ch
Chris just wants some meat, and I got plenty

Who would stay married to that shrew? She is married to her own ego. See you next tuesday.

Its because of goop

WHAT THE F???? noooooo ! I’m so disappointed or sad or idk , what the f is happening in hollywood ?

I’m not surprised that they’ve separated; she’s one of the most boring and pretentious people – ever. From everything I’ve read by her and about her, she reeks of self-entitlement. I know nothing at all about Chris Martin, but he does seem down-to-earth.

Kate Bosworth is kicking herself right now.

TOld YOU SO>>6 months ago

@Susie#1: So true. He’s not hot at all but seriously, who but a total pushover could stand being married to her?

There were signs. She kept talking about how hard it was to stay married and how now she understands why people cheat.

“Conscious Coupling, Divorce Goopy Style”

Chris gets to keep Jay-Z and Beyoncé.

They seemed to be in crisis practically since they got married. She’s still in love with Brad.

Brazilian Girl @ 03/25/2014 at 6:55 pm

Who the heck stays together in Hollywood?!
Damn!

He’s a musician (in general, good luck with them), and she is not the liveliest woman, is she?

not surprised at all they have always looked so miserable together.
they have been having problems for years.

Meh, not shocking, she’s hinted at this for the better part of the year, since ‘Iron Man 3′ came out….and this is all excluding all that VF drama…

@twenty9: Please leave Brad out of it, she cheated on him, probably did the same to Chris, who deserves a medal for putting up with her over eleven year.
Plus Brad’s ex-wife is still riding his coattails nine years later.

So Ms perfect did cheat on Chris Martin.

This is just very sad.

“consciously uncouple”?? Does she ever stop being pretentious, even for one moment?

And maybe if you guys weren’t cheating on each other left and right then you wouldn’t have to “uncouple”

aquarius64 @ 03/25/2014 at 7:38 pm

I didn’t see this coming. I wasn’t aware there were allegations of cheating on both sides, but I haven’t paid much attention to her.

GP dumped the guy for that goop.com kitchen scene in Casino Royale.

OOPS. Sorry about my above below-freezing no.32 temperature number sign posting. Didn’t mean to make light of the situation.

@Brazilian Girl: Honey, the road is “narrow.”

That is where Ben Affleck is these days ? Have not seen himHmmm
Her son looks like him,

@pip: When Brad Pitt becomes aware of this, he’s REALLY not going to want to get married — can’t trust it!

yes……now she can have brad pitt…he’s not married….

He was a moody musician and she always think she’s great. I don’t think Brad is much too interested. She treated him like she was way better and smarter, I heard back then

This is a break up not only of a couple but of a FAMILY. That is so so sad. I don’t care who it is, it’s a terrible thing. I feel sorry for them.

Looselipz @ 03/25/2014 at 8:26 pm

Big giant “DUH”. Their marriage was more open than Kim K’s legs. 😆

Goop snot face @ 03/25/2014 at 8:30 pm

Brad Pitt has no use for Goopy. Brad called her Paltrow when he had to speak her name in the past. After all Goopy gave one of the Weinstein bros a bj for a part in a film while they were dating.
Of course word got back back to Brad and Goopy knew it would . Pitt walked away and never looked back..
He is in a place of big love and happiness being engaged to Angie going on a 10 yr. relationship so he is taken and glad to be with what he called his Angie > his other worldly half .

Goopy went on tv and admitted she did something VERY VERY BAD to Brad Pitt and blabbed on and on how it took her 5 yrs to get over him. But what she did to him was so wrong it was hard to forgive herself . HUH! LOL Sure Goop!!.You knew everybody had heard of your indiscretions so thought if you mince words it might bring some of your supporters back. NOT.
Well now Goopy can go back to that rich guy she got caught ******** around with from Goop.com It was a Vanity Fair drama not that long ago. Goops is a pretentious snot and ******** around is certainly not beneath her. Can’t blame Chris for giving her a taste of her own medicine. Feel bad for all kids in these types of situations but am sure Goop will be coming out with her new man soon.

Chris Martin is incredible. Paltrow is a flake.

@Gigi:

Thank you for being a voice of logic.

CDAN : Vanity Fair teased the world when they hinted they were going to write an expose on Gwyneth Paltrow. After doing some digging the expose was going to center around Gwyneth Paltrow’s affair with billionaire Jeff Soffer who is now married to Elle MacPherson. The article never really materialized. Vanity Fair buckled under Gwyneth’s onslaught of publicity and calling them out. Well, one person who didn’t buckle is the former editor of Gawker, Neetzan Zimmerman who is now the editor of a new app called Whisper. He says that Gwyneth is cheating on her husband with entertainment lawyer Kevin Yorn. Neetzan says he was approached by the person who was going to be the source of the Vanity Fair article and published it to his new app. Both Gwyneth and Kevin Yorn have denied the report. Well, it isn’t like they are going to admit it. Somewhere Gwyneth is probably telling her friends to not talk to Whisper. Stephen Huvane is Gwyneth’s rep and he also represents a bunch of tabloid favorites like Jennifer Aniston so they probably won’t follow through because they want access to all of his other clients.

Evelyn Apricots @ 03/25/2014 at 9:13 pm

Chris Martin – Most Eligible Bachelor! His dating card is going to be long.

So this announcement comes on the day that she is appearing in Glee for their 100th episode. The only tweet on her twitter is a reminder that the show is on tonight. So weird.

Gp trashes the u.s.a.
“Spain has become my second home. It is so different from the United States. It seemed to have a history, and the buildings are years and years and years old. Here in the United States an old building is about 17 (years old), and over there it’s from 500 B.C., it’s incredible. Also, the way people live over there. They seem to enjoy life a little bit more,” she continued. “They aren’t running around as much as in New York. They enjoy time with the family. They don’t always have their BlackBerry on.”

Maybe she should stay in Spain. Btw what is the unemployment rate? 56%

Gp wants no fat people around her.

“Apparently Gwyneth Paltrow is tired of Mario Batali being fat. The reason? Well if you believe the sources of the NY Post, it is because she doesn’t have any other fat friends and so wants him to change. “

Could you explain it more clearly. We know that she cheated on Brad and she was devastated when he dropped. But what really happened?

No amigos @ 03/25/2014 at 9:28 pm

CDAN :
Are Jay-Z and Beyonce are Gwyneth Paltrow’s friends? Nope they aren’t. Beyonce and Jay-Z are Chris Martin’s friends. Jay and Chris have been friends forever and Gwyneth is allowed to stand next to Beyonce at a Jay-Z concert when Chris is also there. No Chris? No Goopster next to Beyonce. To show you how much Jay-Z loves Gwyneth he was on the cover of Vanity Fair after she urged her friends not to do anything for the magazine.

Now Gwyneth wants all her friends to boycott the Vanity Fair Oscar party. Why should they? Tell me one thing Gwyneth has done for any of them except suggest failings in their life that she alone has the capability to correct. Her cure often consists of a starvation diet and a mirror.

Living in a box @ 03/25/2014 at 9:33 pm

Why this is not a surprised? I bet after this Chris will listen to Fix You.

@Debby: Sorry. Cdan: December 14, 2012

“Want to know the real reason we split? Missionary for month after month gets really old. Oh, and the screaming if her hand made contact with my p**is. She probably would have gone into shock if I asked her to use her mouth.” A+ all movie actor discussing his former girlfriend who is an A list all movie actress.

- Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow

She’s been seeing other people for at least two years now, so no, not surprised at all.
Good luck with your perfect children Apple and Celeriac.

I am glad he is finally free of that pretentious twat. I think they had been separated for years though, and he is just ready to move on from the fake relationship. I hope he at least shares custody of those kids, and does not let her have primary custody. Those kids look absolutely miserable when they are with her. Ted Casablanca of E entertainment outed that” Fish Sticks” (his nickname for Paltrow), cheated on Brad with Harvey Winstine of all friggin people, over a decade ago to get the part for Shakespeare In Love, and that he would secure her Oscar win for the role, he campaigned heavily for her Oscar win which to this day irks, and disgust many Hollywood insiders, she still regrets it to this day, she has an undeserved Oscar that should have gone to Cate Blanchette and everyone knows it, and she lost Brad the love of her life, she has been an insufferable, miserable, flake every since then.

They had been seen together a lot recently. I didn’t see this coming.

She is the most pretentious annoying human being ever.
Goop, name dropping, ridiculously calling people by their full name and now ‘consciously uncouple’?
She really needs to get a life!

Wow. I feel bad for them and I hate Goop. I really hate these celebrity divorces, too. 10 years is a long time. They should give it another go for the children’s sake.

Love that she can not say the “d word” and has to use some made up phrase. She is delusional

Goop is way to clever to get involved with a dumb guy like Brad Pitt again. She cheated on him because he got nothing between his ears and because he likes to famewhore his relationships. Chris was actually the best guy to date she got involved with.

@Joan:

So they should be miserable because of the children? Not a reason to stay together …the kids will be fine, in fact, they’re better off …

As soon as someone announces that they give their spouse a “hall pass,” it’s just a matter of time. Nobody should put up with that bs. I am dying to know who would put up with her now…He’s got his groupies..

Her website is inaccessible…..too many people reading about one couple’s separation rather than climate change, starving people in africa, or other less important stuff

Celebrities are shallow people seeking instant gratification, reward and praise. So sad their kids are getting the short end of the stick with ‘family’ unity and that strong personal foundation you hope all kids get.

I always liked Gwyneth. Good luck to her. Is it too soon to call dibs on Chris though? Yeah or ney?

I guess all those BJs Gwenyth bragged about did not help.

They were hardly ever seen together anyways. I thought they actually split years ago and kept it secret. They were always an odd match in my opinion.

Good for him, bad for kids

WHY all nasty comments?
To divorce is failed for everybody specially with kids involved
But thoese two are more lucky than other… they can efoert comfortible life

No.44 at 9:12; The name ‘Coldplay’ is a Providential confirmation of Gisele dumping her hubby into the deep freeze in the goop.com scene at 47:28 minutes into Casino Royale.

I am sure she wants to live in the states, that’s where she is all the time anyway. Remember when the states didn’t compare to England, wish she would stat there.

AFTER 10 YEARS OF OPEN MARRIAGE. AND YES, SHE DEGRADED HERSELF SO MUCH BY SLEEPING WITH JAY-Z (AMONG OTHERS). CREEPS, BOTH OF THEM, ESPECIALLY HER….

I think they split ages ago, but stayed together probably in family counseling to prepare everyone for the final crack…2 -3yrs give or take

During this time they probably fell back into bed . Being seen together in public was probably an attempt to salvage for the last time,but alas

I don’t think Gwen is the loving type and Chris is moody..so it must have been a “conscious breeding” program on their part

Hope thier children weather this well.

@Evelyn Apricots:

I do not understand much of all his stupid comments here who have no sense, but I understand you.
and too all women want Chris Martin as boyfriend or husband :/

I am sad because of your hateful, cruel and heartless comments. Chris and Gwyneth had tried, they deeply loved each other, have two healthy children together and spent huge part of their lifes together. They have something most of you can only dream of. You are all hateful and jealous. Have you lost your humanity? A family is broken and you talk about some ridiculous gossips about cheating. Where is your humanity? They are real persons! They have feelings! Apart from you obviously… You treat them like a dolls without feelings…I’m sick of this world. Only because of people…

@pinkydoo:

a fact you never listen to interviews of Chris Martin.

plus I do not like journalists who always criticizes bestfriend girl to Chris because he loves since 2006, and journalists say is just a groupie fan coldplay. because she is nothing in the current society and well-meaning.

GP blow job tactic don´t work @ 03/26/2014 at 7:25 am

Chelsea Handler revealed Gwyneth Paltrow’s surprising advice for making a relationship work on Monday’s “Chelsea Lately.”

Handler recalled, “One of her friends is like, ‘I got in a big fight with my husband and I went home and I just wanted to scream and yell,’ and [Paltrow said], ‘Whatever you’re feeling, do the opposite. Go at him with love and you give him a blowjob.’”

I guess she don´t give a good BJ no more

It’s a shame, but I’m not surprised. They were never seen together, except at the golden globes – and she looked miserable – like she wasn’t happy to be there with him. They’re used to being apart so it won’t hurt them much, but it will hurt those kids. I hope Gweneth concentrates more on those kids instead of herself. It’s too bad so many people don’t like her. Life can be a *****!

Chris got fed up hearing Brad Pitt’s name being mention. “Brad this, Brad that…”.

Maybe if the guy wasn’t a thief he might still be married ! His band have been involved with several copyright lawsuits. They’ve been accused of stealing music from other bands or/and artists and calling it their own. I hope they get their axxes sued right off !!!!!

I am sorry to hear this and especially for the children.

Really sad @ 03/26/2014 at 9:46 am

It must be very difficult for any Hollywood couple to last due to their schedules. Their jobs keep them away from each other for long periods of time. It’s very rare that a relationship works because of it.

Too many people are just piling on Gwyneth and I think it is wrong. Yes, she can be very annoying, and no doubt a lot of her comments are pretentious. But No one is looking at Chris and what an @sshole he was to her. He wasn’t an easy person to be with and I think she tried to hard to invent herself in a way that would make him want to stay. You think she got this way all by herself? I think she went crazy trying to please a cold man who was very hard to be around and wouldn’t support her.

Not surprised. They ‘had’ to get married, after all. Gwyneth has seemed terribly bored with her life lately. She has been parading herself all over the world, acting like she’s in the midst of a mid-life crisis, flaunting her body. It seems like she has been putting herself out there hoping to catch a new fish. Sad for the kids though.

Point Break! @ 03/26/2014 at 12:12 pm

Well they lasted longer than most and this goes for “normal” people too. how many people does ANYONE know that lasts 10 or more years anymore?

Point Break! @ 03/26/2014 at 12:14 pm

@Goop snot face:

Thank God he’s with that virginal saint Angel-ina now. She is perfect and is incapable of any wrong doing and hates sex.

I feel sorry for the couple though … never been a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow somehow . She might be nicer in the “real life” but in interview I can’t stand her . I kinda saw that coming , it made sense . :/ I do hope they’re gonna find someone at some point . Hopefully a nobody for chris , and I do hope they’ll keep their life private as they done before

Not surprised at all… they both looked extremely unhappy!

whaaaaaaaaaat

Goop The Pretentious One @ 03/26/2014 at 1:42 pm

Marry the guy b/c she gets knocked up WTF!! it’s not 1950 who does that unless you are incapable of raising a child. She had a ton of money so they didn’t marry for love. I have always resented Goop for her giving H. Weinstein a bj with the promise of winning an Oscar for that crap film SIL. Thing was she sure screwed with Brad Pitt’s mind as he was dating her in an exclusive relationship. Oh My, How the world turns.. Today Brad has very distinguishing Plan B Production Co where You won’t see Brad Pitt offering Paltrow a role in one of his films after making him feel like an Oscar was worth more than a relationship. I shouldn’t say that b/c Brad Pitt doesn’t care today about anything from his past.
Pitt is probably glad she did now b/c he has never been happier for going on 10 yrs. with is great love AJ.
You get what you put into a marriage, these two rarely seen each other, never went out together. The fact that Chris was so insecure over an old relationship. What kind of marriage is that?
The kids will be fine.

Love each other very much? Closer than they’ve ever been? Consciously uncoupling? What a great marriage. I hope it lasts forever. Oh..what is that you say? They”re divorcing? But from the way she was talking….

Okay, please excuse the sarcasm especially from someone who sees marriage breakups up close. But, I have to say I have seen people literally scared to death of burning in he/ll for eternity because they belong to a church which has told them that divorce is so bad that they will spend eternity in he’ll if they file even though they have a spouse which doesn’t let them near, doesn’t work, doesn’t help, etc. A rare rare situation, but more commonly I’ve seen people suffer through mental pain because of the STIGMA of divorce. Or suffer quietly in bad situations for years because of what others will think of them if they divorce.

I have read blind items that this celebrity marriage was plagued with infidelity and living separate lives for years. Or is it not cheating rumors but rather “lingering inferences upon the airwaves of loyalty challenges?” Per Paltrow speak…My point is this. Get a divorce quietly and say nothing if you are famous. Fine. But to come out with this “privacy/everlasting love/separation” announcement nonsense is insulting to the millions of mere mortals who don’t consciously uncouple but rather file dissolution of marriage proceedings and are not closer than ever because of it but rather have to face the mere mortal reality of marriage failure and move on JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

It is annoying to continually see the farce of celebrities attempt to elevate themselves above mere mortals as stronger, better, special, whatever, and her comments, to me, magnify this. Does anyone believe the are closer than ever and are very much in love as a result of consciously uncoupling? Doubtful. Then why shove this ridiculous line in everyone’s face with a call for privacy? Makes no sense to me. People should not place celebrities on pedestals as people to emulate. They don’t have better lives, morals, success, or character. Just better PR. Or, rather, PR people to begin with when most people are strong enough to take life’s hits alone and with head on truth. Think about it.

Lena

Friends and I been telling ya for years they were over. Also true that he is totally well liked and she very disliked – everywhere and by everyone that knows them. Chris finally realized kids better off with the split at this point and that is only reason he stayed. He is giving her almost all of his money, could care less, and will let her PR machine run show –all he cares about is kids. She is not a mom by nature – way too self centered. Thankful they have Chris and Blythe!

@kami: LOL. His friends are rejoicing everywhere. He is finally free from the wicked, pretentious witch!!!!

@bella1: Bella1 you are totally correct! FYI, so is all the staff who are begging Chris to take them with him!!!!! And for the record contrary to her image, her kids want to be with him too. And we all know many privileged children too, famous or not, who have turned out to be wonderful giving human beings so Blythe is not to be blamed. She is wonderful and treated cruelly by GOOP. (And of course you try like hell for the kids, but there are circumstances where children are much better off after split – and theirs are relieved to give up sham, and have more time with their Dad!

Didn’t SHE not say she’s a sex addict? If you are one–speak out. Don’t they randomly find and hunt a person down? lol IF she is, why didn’t he help her with AAA for sex addictions. She’s not one to be in a one on one relationship then. wow

she’s a sex addict she said..whatever…psycho comments she says…addicts break up relationships…period

Not a surprise because they never seemed happy, but I think this is a ploy to get the haters on her side.”Conscious uncoupling?” Everything about her is so pretentious–even her choice of words and phrases. I don’t revel in this, I actually feel sorry for her but I still can’t stand her. Maybe she should turn lesbian. Chelsea Handler seems eager to lick her p*ssy.

Looselipz @ 03/27/2014 at 2:25 am

@James:

Give me a break ! These two are pretentious and fake.

Shes probally doing this to get attention again..cause shes obsessed with herself and what the public thinks about her. What a very fussy dry woman.Can you imagine their marriage was like walking on egg shells. She convinced her husband that they shouldnt be seen in public together because of privacy reasons, but we all know its because she thinks shes better or higher than Chris(so vain).
Im sad for Chris Martin, but maybe it was better to stay away from that selfish woman. She even believes in affairs and was seen kissing her ex in an unappropriate manner in front of her own children which she professess to care about so much.

Chris goes along with everything she says. He should grow a back bone and not allow her to dominate him. This new age uncoupling…wtf is that??? sounds so cold and self absorbed. I guess if you got money you can waste it on dumb selfish acts.

People shouldnt get married and bring innocent children in this world if they dont know what love is. The only person goops loves his herself.And she should ditch that stupid diet and excercise regime, she looks like thin blubber. Eat more carbs and get some muscle tone. She is actually looking older and zombie like.

GOOP-GOOP-BE-DO!

Well, well…. I thought Chris was really there for her & her mother when her dad passed away. Too bad they have 2 young children in the mix. Chris will always do well! She on the other hand was daddy’s little girl and needs to grow up now! Boo hoo…..