Gary Oldman Apologizes to Jewish Individuals After Controversial 'Playboy' Interview

Gary Oldman has issued an apology in the form of an open letter to the Anti-Defamation League for his remarks said about Jewish individuals during an interview with Playboy.

“I am deeply remorseful that comments I recently made in the Playboy Interview were offensive to many Jewish people,” the 56-year-old actor said in his letter. “Upon reading my comments in print — I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype.”

The ADL responded to his apology, and are not pleased.

“We have just begun a conversation with his managing producer,” Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the ADL, responded (via Variety). “At this point, we are not satisfied with what we have received. His apology is insufficient and not satisfactory.”

Click inside to read Gary‘s remarks to Playboy about Jewish people, and also the entirety of his open apology letter...

Gary’s original rant: “Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him—and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough. He’s like an outcast, a leper, you know? But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, “That f–king kraut” or “Fuck those Germans,” whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That’s what gets me. It’s just the sheer hypocrisy of everyone, that we all stand on this thing going, “Isn’t that shocking?” [smiles wryly] All right. Shall I stop talking now? What else can we discuss?”

Gary’s Open Letter:
Dear Gentlemen of the ADL:

I am deeply remorseful that comments I recently made in the Playboy Interview were offensive to many Jewish people. Upon reading my comments in print—I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype. Anything that contributes to this stereotype is unacceptable, including my own words on the matter. If, during the interview, I had been asked to elaborate on this point I would have pointed out that I had just finished reading Neal Gabler’s superb book about the Jews and Hollywood, An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews invented Hollywood. The fact is that our business, and my own career specifically, owes an enormous debt to that contribution.

I hope you will know that this apology is heartfelt, genuine, and that I have an enormous personal affinity for the Jewish people in general, and those specifically in my life. The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people.

I would like to sign off with “Shalom Aleichem”—but under the circumstances, perhaps today I lose the right to use that phrase, so I will wish you all peace–Gary Oldman.

• Nicolas Cage cares about what people think of him- US Weekly
  • Young Jeezy drank from a $20,000 bottle of Moet- TMZ
  • Watch James David Carter get a four chair turn on The Voice- Gossip Cop
  • Read a recap of the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip
  • Director George Sluizer has died at the age of 82- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Claudia Galanti shows off major cleavage in Milan- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

offend away

Trumpet Call @ 06/25/2014 at 11:06 am

The million dollar question: Will you go to Heaven when you die? Here’s a quick test. Have you ever told a lie, stolen anything, or used God’s name in vain? Jesus said, “Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” Have you looked with lust? Will you be guilty on Judgment Day? If you have done those things, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. That’s not God’s will. He sent His Son to suffer and die on the cross for you. You broke God’s Law, but Jesus paid your fine. That means He can legally dismiss your case. He can commute your death sentence: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” Then Jesus rose from the dead and defeated death. Please, repent (turn from sin) today and trust in Jesus alone, and God will grant you the gift of everlasting life. Then read your Bible daily and obey it.

Birds of a feather, his best bud is mel, just doing the bogus “mea culpa” that your ppl told you to do. Wonder how the apes film will do?

Im sorry BUt Gary’s original rant is totally correct and TRUE !!

he shouldnt have to apologize

…anddd he’s still a major douche.

Craig Lawson @ 06/25/2014 at 11:34 am

Its all so hypocritical everyone says thing no is perfect, but in our everyone is a victum no sence of humor society, we no longer have free speach. Instead of an apology he should have offered fhem vacations in Iran

I would’ve invited the people from ADL to discuss the matter face to face. I bet they would have refused, because no media attention.

He is a total jerk, as are some of the posters here.

Everyone knows that Jews own and control Hollywood and one has to kiss their rings in order to make it there.

I don’t care, he’s a great actor.

CarrieFromBelgium @ 06/25/2014 at 12:16 pm

There are so many sarcasm in his apology
Even if i was disagree with him in some points,at least he was honest.Here he sounds a jerk ( don’t do apology who doesn’t sound honest)

people shouldn’t have to walk on glass to speak the truth……
Hollywood is run by our hebrew bretheren, but was invented
and created by a WASP named D.W. Griffith……….

Douchey actor.

Or, let me correct. Good actor, but douchey guy.

REALITY ALIVE @ 06/25/2014 at 12:50 pm

“Gary Oldman” is a jew, as are ALL BRITS, of course!! Trying to pull a masquerade on America doesn’t win this jew, this eurasian, any American favors or friends!!

I thought he was smarter than this. He sounds like a 15 year old.

false sentiments @ 06/25/2014 at 1:09 pm

interesting,
he’s a jew and he said that knowing he could get away with it
i was originally going to say he shouldn’t have to apologize for telling the truth
but maybe he is backhanded stabbing mel in the back again.
the jews owe america an apology.
his apology sounds insincere now.
has a jew ever apologized for insulting non jews?
i can’t find it.

i agree
he shouldn’t have to apologize

Well, well – how hypocritical some of you are …. When Donald Sterling made his comments about blacks in a private conversation he was called a racist. But when Gary Oldman makes his comments about Jews in a public statement he is praised. Neither of them are the bigots; some of you people are. How sad and pathetic it is to be so prejudiced.

Can't get any dumber @ 06/25/2014 at 1:45 pm

Our borders are now wide open (unreported by our traitorous media) to the south as the poorest of the poor flood in by the tens of thousands from Central America over the last couple of weeks and liberal PC “tollerant” freeks are worried about words.

wow, this is getting beyond ridiculous no one can speak the truth without some group or some culture getting offended. Is this the world that we have become, if this is the case I am shocked we have not yet experienced world war III. All the man was doing was making a point about the hypocrisy of Hollywood and the people in the biz. If Jews are offended I don’t get why. I don’t see why anyone deserves an apology here.

And why was Al (Tawana Brawley) Sharpton and Jesse (my son is in jail) Jackson ready to protest against the Clippers when Donald Sterling made his comments?? If Oldman shouldn’t apologize then Sterling should not have been made to apologize and have the NBA try to take his team away from him.

His whole original comment was about how people get their panties in a bunch over everything ~ and then people are getting their panties in a bunch. Unbunch your panties and move on.

The whole point of censoring speech, changing and dictating language, using blanket trendy descriptors judging supposedly intollerant people leads directly to the complete loss of freedom of speech for ALL individuals, which IS the goal. .

he says wat he wants