Major Emmy Awards Category Changes Are Coming Soon
There are some big changes on the way for the Emmy Awards and we have all the details for you right here.
- The comedy and drama categories are going to be defined differently moving forward. All series that are 30 minutes or less will be considered in the comedy categories while series with episodes more than 30 minutes will be considered dramas. Producers are able to file petitions to have their shows considered in the alternative category if they wish.
- The amount of nominees in the Outstanding Comedy Series and Outstanding Drama Series categories will now expand to seven nominees due to the increase in series production.
- All shows previously considered as “mini-series” will now be called “limited series” and be defined as programs with two or more episodes “with a total running time of at least 150 program minutes that tell a complete, non-recurring story, and do not have an ongoing storyline and/or main characters in subsequent seasons.”
- The Outstanding Variety Series category has been split into two categories – Outstanding Variety Talk Series and Outstanding Variety Sketch Series.
- Only actors who appear in less than 50% of a series’ episodes can be considered in the Guest Actor categories.
WHAT DO YOU THINK of all the Emmy Awards changes on the way?