Top Stories

Criminal Investigation Into 1995 Princess Diana Interview Ruled Out by Police

Criminal Investigation Into 1995 Princess Diana Interview Ruled Out by Police

A criminal investigation is being ruled out.

British police said on Thursday (March 4) they had ruled out an investigation into the 1995 BBC interview with the late Princess Diana and journalist Martin Bashir, via ET Canada.

The investigation request came after complaints from her brother Charles Spencer that she had been tricked into taking part in the interview, which brought in more than 20 million viewers in Britain, with the use of forged documents.

In the interview, she admitted to an affair and gave other details of her marriage to Prince Charles.

Last November, her brother said the BBC had failed to apologize for forged documents and “other deceit” that led to the interview. Prince William also released a rare statement supporting an independent investigation.

“In recent months the Metropolitan Police Service received correspondence alleging unlawful activity in connection with a documentary broadcast in 1995. Following this detailed assessment and in view of the advice we received, we have determined that it is not appropriate to begin a criminal investigation into these allegations. No further action will be taken,” Commander Alex Murray said in a statement.

This news comes at a time when her son Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle are about to sit down for a highly anticipated interview, which is already making headlines.

Just Jared on Facebook
Photos: Getty
Posted to: Charles Spencer, Princess Diana

JJ Links Around The Web

Photo of Private: JJ Links Around The Web
Getty Images
  • JoJo Siwa sends love to Colton Underwood after his coming out - TMZ
  • These YouTubers just got engaged - Just Jared Jr
  • All these stars have gotten into the cannabis business - TooFab
  • Find out who will be hosting Instant Influencer season two - Just Jared Jr