Top Stories

Facebook Breaking News, Photos, and Videos

Mark Zuckerberg Announces 'Indefinite' Trump Ban on Facebook & Instagram

Mark Zuckerberg is banning the President of the United States.

Following the breach of the U.S. Capitol by Trump loyalists on Wednesday (January 6), the Facebook founder issued a statement confirming that Trump‘s divisive rhetoric will no longer be allowed to be shared on Facebook and Instagram.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Mark Zuckerberg

“The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden,” he wrote.

“His decision to use his platform to condone rather than condemn the actions of his supporters at the Capitol building has rightly disturbed people in the US and around the world. We removed these statements yesterday because we judged that their effect — and likely their intent — would be to provoke further violence,” he continued.

“Following the certification of the election results by Congress, the priority for the whole country must now be to ensure that the remaining 13 days and the days after inauguration pass peacefully and in accordance with established democratic norms. Over the last several years, we have allowed President Trump to use our platform consistent with our own rules, at times removing content or labeling his posts when they violate our policies,” he said.

“We did this because we believe that the public has a right to the broadest possible access to political speech, even controversial speech. But the current context is now fundamentally different, involving use of our platform to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government. We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great. Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.”

Trump recently told his supporters to “go home” while also reiterating his unproven claim that the election was rigged. He further fanned the flames of dissent among his supporters by criticizing Vice President Pence for not bowing to pressure to overturn the presidential election results.

The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining…

Posted by Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday, January 7, 2021

Facebook Bans Donald Trump From Platform & Instagram For 24 Hours

Facebook is following Twitter’s lead and has banned President Donald Trump from the social media platform.

The network issued a statement on their Newsroom Twitter feed.

“We’ve assessed two policy violations against President Trump’s Page which will result in a 24-hour feature block, meaning he will lose the ability to post on the platform during that time,” it reads.

The ban extends to Instagram as well.

Earlier in the evening, Facebook actually removed Trump‘s video that addressed his supporters that were part of the Capitol riots which caused Congress to temporarily halt their counting of the electoral college to ratify the Presidential election.

Twitter was the first to block Trump from posting more on social media about the election or anything else.

Selena Gomez Calls Out Facebook for Spreading Misinformation About COVID

Selena Gomez has a big problem with Facebook.

The 28-year-old singer took to Twitter on Tuesday (December 29) to re-share a video from BBC News with the Center for Countering Digital Hate CEO Imi Ahmed saying that social media companies, like Facebook, claim that they’re doing everything in their power to take down misinformation about COVID-19, “but in reality, they’re doing absolutely nothing.”

Selena then shared her own message along with the video, slamming Facebook for allowing “lies” to be spread on their site.

“Scientific disinformation has and will cost lives,” Selena wrote. “@Facebook said they don’t allow lies about COVID and vaccines to be spread on their platforms.”

She continued: “So how come all of this is still happening? Facebook is going to be responsible for thousands of deaths if they don’t take action now!”

This is now the second time Selena called out Facebook in the past few weeks. Find out why she slammed the social media site earlier this month.

Selena Gomez Calls Out Facebook & Instagram - Find Out Why!

Selena Gomez is speaking out.

The 28-year-old Rare singer called out Facebook and Instagram on social media on Wednesday (December 2).

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Selena Gomez

The tweet was in response to the Center of Countering Digital Hate, which called out the platforms: “Neo-Nazis are selling racist products on Facebook and Instagram. Facebook has left these pages online, despite being told about them 3 days ago. @Facebook, please remove this neo-Nazi network in full, now,” the tweet reads.

“I’m speechless. @Facebook @Instagram how are you tolerating this hate? There’s still accounts there even though you have been notified!!,” she wrote.

An Instagram rep has since given a statement to ET Canada: “We’ve already removed the violating content brought to our attention.”

She also previously called out Mark Zuckerberg about Facebook’s racism problem.

In personal news, it was recently revealed that Selena Gomez has been on a few dates with this star.

Facebook Bans Conspiracy Theory Group QAnon Across All Platforms

Facebook is putting the ban on QAnon.

The company announced on Tuesday (October 6) that it is banning all QAnon-related accounts from its platform, marking one of the “broadest rules the social media giant has put in place in its history,” NBC News reported.

Facebook said the change is an update to the policy it first created in August that initially only removed QAnon accounts that discussed violence, resulting in the termination of 1,500 pages, groups and profiles.

The change will “bring to parity what we’ve been doing on other pieces of policy with regard to militarized social movements,” according to a spokesperson.

“Starting today, we will remove Facebook Pages, Groups and Instagram accounts for representing QAnon. We’re starting to enforce this updated policy today and are removing content accordingly, but this work will take time and will continue in the coming days and weeks. Our Dangerous Organizations Operations team will continue to enforce this policy and proactively detect content for removal instead of relying on user reports.”

Facebook’s spokesperson also said it believed it needed to limit the “ability of QAnon and Militarized Social Movements to operate and organize on our platform.”

“QAnon is a conspiracy theory that grew out of the fringes of the internet and posits that high-profile Democrats and Hollywood celebrities are members of a child-eating cabal that is being secretly taken down by President Donald Trump, and that members of this fictitious cabal will soon be marched to their execution. The conspiracy theory relies on posts from Q, an anonymous user of the extremist message board 8kun, which was formerly called 8chan, who has been wrongly predicting the roundup of prominent Democrats since October 2017,” NBC News reported.

Selena Gomez Wrote A Private Message To Mark Zuckerberg About Facebook's Racism Problem

Selena Gomez went straight to the leadership of Facebook and Instagram to combat the hate and racism issues on the social media platforms.

The 28-year-old singer and actress shared a private message she had written to Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg on her own Instagram Stories.

“Facebook and Instagram are being used to spread hate, misinformation, racism, and bigotry,” Selena wrote in the message. “I am calling you both to HELP STOP THIS.”

She added, “Please shut down groups and users focused on spreading hate speech violence and misinformation. Our future depends on it.”

Selena also stressed the importance of acting now, given the election is less than 50 days away

“We cannot afford to have misinformation about voting,” she continued. “There has to be fact-checking and accountability. Hope to hear back from you ASAP.”

Selena is joining the protest alongside other stars like Kim Kardashian, who participated in the #StopHateForProfit campaign earlier in the week. See what it’s about here…

selena gomez fb private message action now 01

Facebook Says Russian Trolls Who Interfered in 2016 Election Are Back

Facebook is reporting more disinformation attempts.

The social media network said it banned a “small network” of accounts affiliated with the same Kremlin-backed Russian hacking group that spread disinformation during the 2016 U.S. presidential election, Variety reported on Tuesday (September 1).

Facebook announced that it had removed 13 Facebook accounts and two Pages “linked to individuals associated with past activity by the Russian Internet Research Agency (IRA).”

The IRA-linked campaign it removed in August “was largely unsuccessful on Facebook, but it tricked unwitting freelance journalists into writing stories on its behalf.” Facebook added that it is notifying the individuals who were contacted by the disinformation network.

The Russian IRA promoted links to fake news stories via a website called “Peace Data,” created by the network to appear like a legitimate news organization. The fake stories included headlines like “Bugaloo Movement: USA Far Right Is Growing Thanks to Donald Trump” and “UK Government Creates a Myth of a Migrant Crisis to Distract From Its Failures.”

Back in 2017, Facebook said Russia-linked content reached an estimated 126 million people during the 2016 presidential campaign season into 2017.

Speaking of fake news, this doctored video of Joe Biden went viral…