Top Stories

James Franco News, Pictures, and Videos

'The Interview' Won't Be Available on Video on Demand After Sony Pulled Plug on Theater Release

There is even more bad news for people who want to see The Interview after Sony made the tough decision to pull the film today (December 17).

Earlier in the day, the film was pulled from major theaters following threats from the Sony hackers, which are reportedly being backed by North Korea.

Since the movie release was cancelled, the James Franco and Seth Rogen-starring film will not be available on Video on Demand either.

“Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film,” Sony said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

Celebrities React to Sony Canceling 'The Interview' Release

The cancellation of the planned Christmas Day release of The Interview has sent Twitter abuzz with tons of reactions and celebrities are letting their voices be heard.

Most people seem to be upset that Sony has let the hackers win and cave in to their demands of not releasing the film, which stars James Franco and Seth Rogen.

Some of the celebrities are encouraging their fans to see The Interview once there is a way to do so and others are even giving Sony advice on how they should release.

Make sure to vote in our poll on whether Sony made the right decision or not.

Click inside to read more tweets from celebrities on the cancellation… More Here! »

Sony Officially Cancels 'The Interview' Theatrical Release

Sony has officially decided to cancel the planned theatrical release of The Interview on Christmas Day amid a massive hack of the company’s email system.

“In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release,” the studio said in a statement. “We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers.”

Earlier today, AMC, Regal, Cinemark, and other major theaters announced that they would not be showing the film amid threats from the hackers that they would plan 9/11-style attacks on theaters exhibiting the comedy flick starring James Franco and Seth Rogen.

“Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business,” the studio’s statement continued. “Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”

'The Interview' Pulled From Major Theaters After Sony Hack Threats

It looks like James Franco and Seth Rogen‘s new film The Interview won’t be playing at major theaters near you.

It is expected that all major exhibition chains including Regal, AMC, Cinemark and Cineplex will announce sometime today that they won’t be showing the film, according to Deadline.

This decision comes after the Sony hackers made a threat against any movie theaters that would be showing the movie, which centers on an assassination mission of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.

In case you didn’t know, The Interview was supposed to hit theaters on Christmas.

WHAT DO YOU THINK of The Interview being dropped from major theaters?

'The Interview' New York Premiere Canceled Amid Terror Threat

James Franco steps out of his building on Tuesday evening (December 16) in New York City.

The 36-year-old actor was joined by a bodyguard to make sure he is safe amid the scary terror threats happening because of his movie The Interview.

It was just announced that Sony has canceled plans to have a premiere for the film in New York on Thursday. A spokesperson for the Landmark Sunshine Cinema, where the event was set to take place, confirmed the news.

The Sony hackers announced plans today to attack theaters that show the film, including the premiere.

the interview new york premiere canceled amid terror threats 01
the interview new york premiere canceled amid terror threats 02
the interview new york premiere canceled amid terror threats 03
the interview new york premiere canceled amid terror threats 04

Sony Is Considering Pulling 'The Interview' from Theaters

Following the hackers’ threat of attacking movie theaters showing The Interview, Sony is reportedly considering pulling the film from theaters altogether.

The movie, starring Seth Rogen and James Franco, is currently set to be released on Christmas Day and now the studio is talking with movie theater owners about whether to pull it, according to Variety.

Some theater owners plan on showing the film though.

“It’s unfortunate,” said Tom Stephenson, CEO of Look Cinemas. “If they play it, we’ll show it. Sony has a right to make the movie, we have a right to play it and censorship in general is a bad thing.”

UPDATE: Carmike Cinemas has announced it will not be showing The Interview in any of its theaters.

Homeland Security Says No Active Plot Against Movie Theaters

The latest development in the Sony Hack involved a threat against movie theaters that will be showing The Interview, as well as the upcoming premiere in New York City.

The threat from the hackers led the studio to cancel all upcoming media appearances for stars James Franco and Seth Rogen, though the screening in the Big Apple is reportedly still happening.

Now the Department of Homeland Security is denying that there are any active plots against movie theaters.

“We are still analyzing the credibility of these statements, but at this time there is no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theaters within the United States,” a statement from the DHS read (via Variety).

A Member of Townsquare Entertainment News | Advertise here