Top Stories

Politics Breaking News, Photos, and Videos

Nancy Pelosi Calls on Pence & Cabinet to Invoke 25th Amendment & Remove Trump From Office

Nancy Pelosi is calling for Donald Trump‘s removal immediately.

The Speaker of the House has announced that she is requesting Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment, allowing for the removal of the President if he is unable to fulfill his duties.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Nancy Pelosi

She said the Congress “may be prepared to move forward with impeachment” against Trump if it is not invoked.

“In calling for this seditious act, the president has committed an unspeakable assault on our nation and our people,” she said referring to Trump‘s supporters storming the U.S. Capitol, calling him “a very dangerous person who should not continue in office.”

Trump was indefinitely banned from certain social media networks following the U.S. Capitol incident.

Social Media Users Confuse Protester's Name with Photo Credit 'Via Getty'

As reactions to Donald Trump‘s supporters storming the U.S. Capitol flooded social media on Wednesday (January 6), an unlikely tweet misidentifying one of the protesters went viral.

Ryan Lizza, a senior political analyst at CNN and correspondent for Politico, inadvertently confused his followers with a tweet posted Wednesday (January 6). Ryan captioned a photo of a Trump supporter taking a lectern from Capitol Hill, “Via Getty, one the rioters steals a podium from the Capitol.”

Social media users assumed Via Getty was the name of the protester pictured, rather than Ryan attributing the photo to the media agency Getty Images. As the tweet circulated and followers continued to refer to the man as Via Getty, Ryan issued a second tweet to clarify: “To be clear, “via Getty” is not a person. It just means that this photo comes via Getty Images.”

The tweet and Ryan‘s response ended up going viral, with one person even creating a parody Via Getty account.

Find out which celebrities reacted to Trump’s protestors on social media.

Facebook Bans Donald Trump From Platform & Instagram For 24 Hours

Facebook is following Twitter’s lead and has banned President Donald Trump from the social media platform.

The network issued a statement on their Newsroom Twitter feed.

“We’ve assessed two policy violations against President Trump’s Page which will result in a 24-hour feature block, meaning he will lose the ability to post on the platform during that time,” it reads.

The ban extends to Instagram as well.

Earlier in the evening, Facebook actually removed Trump‘s video that addressed his supporters that were part of the Capitol riots which caused Congress to temporarily halt their counting of the electoral college to ratify the Presidential election.

Twitter was the first to block Trump from posting more on social media about the election or anything else.

Selena Gomez Calls Out Facebook, Twitter & More Social Media CEOs Over Capitol Coup

Like many other celebrities, Selena Gomez is also speaking out about the “Stop The Steal” riot that took place today (January 6) at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.

The 28-year-old singer and actress called out the CEOS and executives from Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Google and Twitter about their own roles in allowing the violence against democracy to happen.

“You have all failed the American people today, and I hope you’re going to fix things moving forward,” Selena wrote, after naming them all in her note on Twitter.

This isn’t the first time Selena has called out social media CEOs.

She did so in December over Neo-Nazis and their presence online, and personally called out Mark Zuckerberg over the summer about how Facebook was being used to spread hate and lies. See her message here…

See which other celebrities are speaking out about the events that went down today…

Congress Will Finish Counting Electoral College Votes Tonight Amid Trump Supporters Riot

Nancy Pelosi sent a letter to her colleagues about finishing the counting of the electoral college votes, in spite of the riots that took precedence over the day.

The Speaker of the House shared the letter this afternoon (via ABC News) as members of Congress went to a safe place as rioters took over the U.S. Capitol.

Nancy called the acts of the rioters “a shameful assault was made on our democracy”, and added that it wouldn’t stop them from fulfilling their duties as representatives of the nation.

“To that end, in consultation with Leader Hoyer and Whip Clyburn and after calls to the Pentagon, the Justice Department and the Vice President, we have decided we should proceed tonight at the Capitol once it is cleared for use,” she wrote.

The letter continues, “We also knew that we would be a part of history in a positive way, today, despite ill-founded objections to the Electoral College vote. We now will be part of history, as such a shameful picture of our country was put out to the world, instigated at the highest level.”

“Members and staff should remain on the Capitol complex until they are notified by the United States Capitol Police. I look forward to seeing you later this evening, during this time of great sadness,” she concluded.

Nancy, Mike Pence, and more members of Congress were stopped in the middle of their count to ratify the election votes by the “Stop the Steal” riot, which was fueled by President Donald Trump.

After his video message to the rioters was taken down on social media, Trump also had his official Twitter account locked. Read more on the situation here…

Donald Trump's Twitter Account Gets Locked; Video To Rioters Removed By Three Social Media Platforms

Facebook, YouTube and Twitter have all removed Donald Trump‘s video message to rioters at the US Capitol.

The three social media platforms have deleted the video which told his supporters that while he loved them, to “go home now”, before he shared his views that the election was stolen from him again.

Facebook and YouTube took the down the video earlier than Twitter, who did so just an hour ago.

Guy Rosen, who is the VP of Integrity at Facebook, tweeted that the company removed the video “because on balance we believe it contributes to rather than diminishes the risk of ongoing violence.”

Now though, on top of removing the video from Twitter, the platform has also locked Donald Trump‘s account.

“This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets. If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked,” Twitter safety wrote on the platform.

Find out why Trump called out his own Vice President, Mike Pence, here…

Woman Who Was Shot During Pro-Trump Capitol Coup Has Died

The woman who was reportedly shot during the Capitol coup today (January 6), has unfortunately died, in Washington, D.C.

Multiple outlets are reporting that the woman, whose identity has not been revealed, was shot during the riots on the US Capitol, by a police officer who was defending the place and the members of Congress inside.

An eyewitness at the scene told D.C.-based TV station WUSA9 that the woman “rushed to the windows” and did not follow orders by police to “get back, get down, get out of the way.”

“She didn’t heed the call, and as we kind of raced up to grab people and pull them back, they shot her in the neck and she fell back on me,” they added, who later was identified as Thomas Morani. “She started kind of moving weird and blood was coming out of her neck and mouth and nose.”

The woman passed away shortly after, The Washington Post reported.

She was not the only one injured, as several other police officers were as well by the Trump supporters who stormed and took over the building.

Many pro-Trump supporters have been pictured inside private offices and stealing things from the Capitol building.

See what President-Elect Joe Biden had to say about the riots here…