'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Records - See the List!
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has done the unthinkable… it has shattered the all time domestic box office record set by Avatar to become North America’s top grossing movie ever. Now, let’s take a look at some more records the movie has broken!
The movie broke the record on Wednesday afternoon (January 6) in just 20 days of release. The movie has now grossed over $760.5 million, which was what Avatar made in its full run plus its re-release.
The Force Awakens, which stars a hot young cast alongside vets like Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, has broken a ton of other records as well, like biggest opening weekend ever, biggest opening day, and fastest to reach $100 million.
There’s no stopping Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which has made over $1.5 billion worldwide since its December 16 global debut. The movie still hasn’t opened in China, the second biggest movie market in the world.
Click inside for a list of the records that Star Wars has broken…
· Fastest film to reach $100M (21 hours), $200M (3 days), $300M (5 days), $400M (8 days), $500M (10 days), $600M (12 days), and $700M (16 days)
· Biggest all-time debut and biggest December debut ($247.966M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall moviegoing weekend of all time ($313.3M for all films, Dec. 18-20)
· Biggest second weekend of all time ($149.2M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall Christmas weekend of all time ($296.4M for all films, Dec. 25-27)
· Biggest third weekend of all time ($90.2M)
· Biggest Thursday preview gross ($57M)
· Biggest Friday, opening, and single day ($119.1M)
· Biggest Sunday ($60.55M), Monday ($40.1M), and Tuesday ($37.3M)
· Biggest Christmas Day ($49.3M) and New Year’s Day ($34.39M)
· Highest per-theater average for a wide debut ($59,982)
· Biggest opening week ($390.85M)
· Biggest IMAX debut ($30.1M)