AnnaLynne McCord Was Suicidal After Being Sexually Assaulted at Age 18 - Read Her Touching Essay Here

AnnaLynne McCord is opening up and detailing her sexual assault at age 18 in a poignant essay written for Cosmopolitan magazine’s July 2014 issue.

Here’s some excerpts from the 26-year-old 90210 star’s essay:

“One night, a guy friend called. He said he needed a good night’s sleep for a meeting, as he’d been crashing on someone’s couch. I had known him for some time, so I said to come over and I set him up with a clean towel. We sat on the bed and talked for a while, then I fell asleep. When I woke up, he was inside me. At first I felt so disoriented and numb, I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep…then, suddenly, my thoughts took a practical turn: I could get an STD. I could get pregnant. I have a boyfriend.”

“I had pills and water in hand and thought seriously about killing myself. I didn’t fear death—it felt like a solution,” she wrote later, “I forgave myself for not standing up for myself, and I began channeling my experience into something good. I have my message for women and girls: You have a voice.”

For more from AnnaLynne, visit Cosmopolitan.com.

annalynne mccord pens poignant essay about sexual assault at age 18 01
annalynne mccord pens poignant essay about sexual assault at age 18 02

Credit: Amanda Friedman/Cosmopolitan
Posted to: AnnaLynne McCord, Magazine

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

Did she report this rapist to the police?

Scary stuff

Wonder how Kellan handled it?

Pamela Anderson, now her…what’s with all those pretty ladies getting sexually assaulted!? Ugh. Guys can be such as*holes!!!! No wonder those girls grow up to be overtly sexual and messed up!

@Amy:

Most people don’t report rapes as we live in a society of blaming the victim. And of those reported very few get prosecuted as it can easily become he said she said. Rape victims are so quickly dismissed that it makes reporting it not worth the humiliation. Not to mention that victims are many times treated horribly by the judicial system and in a way are raped again when they are told that nothing can be done or the perpetrator will only get probation etc.

Why now are all of these celebrities (Pam Anderson) coming out with these confession type stories? I’m sorry that happened to her, but here is my problem with this…If you truely want to help girls and women who have been raped “have a voice”, why not volunteer at a Rape Crisis Center? Get to know some of the girls and women individually or in a group and help/heal each other. The whole press conference/media spotlight/magazine interview confession makes me give these celebrities the side-eye treatment and question their motive and reasoning for making such a public confession. What are you trying to gain from this?

She is amazing @ 05/29/2014 at 6:48 pm

@celestialacademician: What the hell are you talking about? Why you side-eyeing rape victims who are brave enough to talk about it in public? It doesnt matter if they are celebs or not. Many are afraid to speak up. She is showing by telling her story to the public that they are not alone and that there is no special type of women who get raped, actually everybody can be a rape victim and your rapist can be your friend. Sharing such a story tells other victims that there is a way to survive it and to live on and that your past aint defining you.

sommmeeeooonnneee has something to promote

*eyeroll*

@Sonia:

Well there needs to be physical evidence so the best thing to do is call the police and get examined at the hospital.

Interesting. And didn’t her character in that 90210 show get raped, too? I wonder how she felt when she read the script.

And yes, I did watch 90210.

mcwitch11 @ 05/29/2014 at 6:55 pm

If it’s true I’m very sorry it happened to her….my problem is all these celebrities come outta the d- list when they’re careers are stalled or over. I agree maybe working at a rape crisis center would probably help more women, then what appears a desperate grab at the spot light. It just seems to be a pattern with Hollywood. I don’t wanna be cynical but I believe most of these horror stories are a publicist bs

@mcwitch11: Exactly!!!! That was my point and why I give people who do this the side-eye. I wasn’t victim-blaming.

Spring Summer @ 05/29/2014 at 8:02 pm

Horrible. I wish she had spoken up during her NipTuck and 90210 days and Pamela Anderson during her heyday in Baywatch, though it’s easier said than done of course.

a lot of women never report rape. if more women talked about it like this, is would make it much easier for other victims to report it.

glad they are speaking out, but the time to speak up is when it happens and not years later. it doesn’t hold the same value when it’s 10, 15, or 20 years down the road and kinda makes the stories seem … well, maybe not as reliable?

@tina: You can’t put a time limit on when a person should come forward because this would be the individual’s personal choice. People deal with things differently. I just question the motive behind this “confession”.

@tina: just because someone tells their story later on in life doesn’t make it any less “valuable.” Many women are too scared of reporting or discussing their rape because society refuses to take them seriously. Good for her for speaking up!

@Alaia: Was wondering and thinking the same thing.

Kerry Louise @ 05/29/2014 at 11:45 pm

Her Jewish managers are really grasping at straws to keep her in the news.

I’m just tired of the media and the public needing to make individual’s into “characters” and the choices they make in their lives or events that happen in a person’s life into a story/narrative. Life and people are not that simple. There are times you just won’t understand an individual or the choices they make in life or the actions they take and this is okay. Everyone doesn’t have a dark past or skeletons in their closet, and for those that do this would be their business (not the media or the publics). Focus on your own life and fix your own s*it. This is the problem with our society…EVERYONE IS SO D@MN NOSY!!!!!

Meg E Meister @ 05/30/2014 at 6:21 pm

Some of these comments are just revolting to me. Regardless of this woman’s career today, when she was a teenager, she didn’t want to prosecute, she didn’t want to have a pelvic exam and get swabbed – she wanted to DIE. She wanted to remove herself from this earth, and the years from that point to sharing her story is a testament to her climb from suicide to wanting to live again, and using her celebrity status to get the word out about having a voice. I was sexually abused as a child for years, and I closed my eyes and covered my face with the covers, and I recognize this in her story. I would never wish molestation or rape on any individual in this world, yet it seems that a large number of people in society are truly ignorant about the impact one single abuse can have on a victim for the rest of their waking lives. Practice empathy and compassion, and never accuse a victim, man or woman, of lying – or sharing a false story to get ratings. I have seen the Pamela Anderson and Tommy sex tape, and I thought she would be a sex bomb. Instead, I found her to be extremely shy being filmed, speaking like a little girl, and wanting to constantly cover herself up, despite her floozy status on the TV. That tape was a reflection of her true personality, and now that we know about her abuse history, her behavior on that boat falls into place and makes perfect sense to me. She is very different on-screen than in real life…MOST actors and actresses are. From watching interviews with her closest confidants, it appears that Norma Jean was NOTHING like Marilyn Monroe in real life. We need to stop thinking we know these people for the roles they play on television. There are dark, painful secrets that make some of them want to die – and maybe through one ‘coming out’, another finds strength to do the same. We shouldn’t treat this with disdain, but brava to the individual for breaking the silence around her and release the screaming that has possessed her mind. Baby boomers and their parents kept everything silent to keep up the image of perfection. Their children, and our children, are becoming more brave, and not suffering alone in silence anymore because we’ve had enough of those attitudes. One by one, we are obliterating the elephant in the middle of the room, the one that our parents and our grandparents ignore – but we see – and we talk about. Because we are STRONG. And we are not going to let ignorant people go on about how our abuse didn’t really happen because we didn’t handle it properly when it happened. I tell those people to go walk naked down a dark alley in New York City and get back to us later so we can surround you with the understanding and acceptance you deserve.

@Meg E Meister: Meg E Meister, sounds like a lot of pent up hate. hopefully you are in counseling.

I’ve seen a lot of comments on here berating her for opting to speak out to media outlet as opposed to volunteering or getting involved with an organization. This is complete and utter bullshit. The fact of the matter remains that women all over the world are shamed into believing that the way they dressed, their consumption of alcohol, or their choices to go out alone at night led to their sexual assault, like it was their fault that a man was unable to control himself and acted like an animal. Females like AnnaLynne are so crucial to dismantling this stigma that is placed on women who are sexually assaulted, and through bringing attention to this issue, she is giving females who have experienced things like what she has a voice, and potentially the courage to come forward to the police. The notion that women “make up” stories of rape is so problematic and ridiculous as they are more often than not criticized and made to feel ashamed of themselves for coming forward, rather than getting support. I am personally so proud of her, as I know too many women who have kept quiet about being assaulted, and we need more people to come forward, males and females alike, to bring attention to the fact that it isn’t your fault if you get raped.

Meg E. Meister @ 05/30/2014 at 10:33 pm

@michelle The only sentence that could potentially come across as hateful is the last one, and you seem to be disregarding the entirety of my post. Since you want to attack my character and diagnose me, I challenge you to break my comment down and highlight exactly that which is a) pent up, and b) hateful. Because I am a Psychologist, I have absolutely no problem helping you through this. I’ll wait to hear back.

Meg E. Meister @ 05/30/2014 at 10:53 pm

@sarah Great comment, Sarah! I wholeheartedly agree with you. I watched a lot of threads in the news when the Pamela Anderson story broke, and people were tearing her up badly. What really surprised me were the number of people who brought up the Duke Lacrosse team and other FALSE rape cases when the story broke of the rape list being published in the ladies room of the (which university?) campus. Many were saying “always believe an accusation of rape”, to which so many others brought up these isolated (but well-publicized) cases where women cried wolf. I really wish these cases never happened, because they did a huge disservice to victims everywhere. I try to get people to remember that men are victims of rape, also (but I’m not talking about the kind of rape you may think). In my practice, I have dealt with men who were drugged and raped by women in their sleep to force implantation of sperm into uterus with men who were child free by choice. The same can be said with domestic violence, as many men were raised to never lay a hand on a woman, so they become battered, instead. We (meaning the public) can’t be so quick to judge, or make assumptions about a persons motive because of their career or celebrity status, or some other asinine quality. Abuse is abuse, and we weren’t present to witness it, right? I’m incredibly impressed with her for no longer hiding in the shadows. Sunlight heals. :)

I am not saying she is lying about what happened to her. I’m saying this confession of hers intuitively feels more like an attention grab than a need to want to genuinely help other victims, and I stand by my opinion. We have read and seen countless examples of people who do this type of thing. They are attention seekers. These types of individuals only care about one thing: The focus/spotlight/attention being solely on them, and they will do anything to achieve this.

@Meg E Meister: There is no correct way of going through something traumatic. You do what you think is right for you at the time, and people handle/deal with things differently. Some people like to share while others don’t. This is okay. Let people deal with things however they choose to instead of accusing those who don’t “share” with you of trying to hide behind this facade of perfection. Not all baby boomer parents behaved that way.
This is what irritates me about people like yourself. You could have 100 people sharing with you their similar traumatic experience, but if that one person out of the 100 says to you they didn’t have the same experience or that didn’t happen to them…you would become so laser focused on that one person (to the point of obsession might I add). Going over and over in your mind “Why didn’t he or she have the same thing happen to them? Why aren’t they behaving, thinking, feeling like me?” Instead of finding comfort, support, and healing from the 99 people who did share the same experience as you, you obsess and hate the one who is different from you.

The truth is two people can go through the same horrific event and come out of it differently because WE ARE INDIVIDUALS FIRST. No one is the same. Each one of us thinks, feels, moves, loves, hates, differently. There are people who can sit in a room with thousands of other people sharing they suffered the same trauma, and all of that “sharing” does absolutely nothing for them. Their individual scars are so deep that only God can heal them. So please spare me with all your BS because you and I both know this would be more about you feeling good about others experiencing the same trauma (or worse) as you so you don’t feel alone and in return this makes you feel good about yourself and what happened to you than it is about helping/healing your deep wounds or the deep wounds of others.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All