Charlie Hunnam: 'I Had an Interesting Take' on Christian Grey

Charlie Hunnam: 'I Had an Interesting Take' on Christian Grey

Charlie Hunnam hits the set of his series Sons of Anarchy on Monday afternoon (June 2) in Los Angeles.

The 34-year-old actor recently opened up about dropping out of the highly anticipated movie Fifty Shades of Grey.

“I felt like I had an interesting take on that character and felt like I could have done a good job of playing Christian Grey, otherwise I wouldn’t have taken it on in the first place,” Charlie told Life & Style.

“When you put the time into something like that and a character comes alive in your mind, it’s heartbreaking not to be able to play him,” he added. “It was definitely kind of heartbreaking having to say goodbye to that character and not bring it to life.”

FYI: Charlie is wearing Levi’s jeans.

15+ pictures inside of Charlie Hunnam on set…

charlie hunnam interesting take on christian grey 01

• Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson rocky romance rumors completely false- Gossip Cop
  • Ariana Grande streams four new songs from her upcoming album- Just Jared Jr
  • Sin City co-director Frank Miller remembers Brittany Murphy- Huffington Post
  • Johnny Depp's daughter Lily Rose is heading to the big screen- Lainey Gossip
  • Selena Gomez kills the fashion game yet again- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

then why did he drop out? too late anyway. wasn’t meant to be.

I see he’s hanging out with the mother of his first child on SOA. That’s interesting, still hope he goes after Gemma’s ass for what she did. Love Charlie!

I understand where he’s coming from but I insist, he’s too awesome to be part of such a ****** story like 50 shades of grey.
I’m more sad that he’s on set for THE FINAL season of SOA :(

Hubba hubba @ 06/02/2014 at 6:46 pm

Does he still have a girlfriend? One can dream….

So why did he drop out? Backlash? Rob Pattinson had the same thing when he was cast in Twilight. X 10000.

@festival: @Fresh: He dropped out because of his “work schedule” but everyone thinks its actually because of the money and the anonymity he would lose after getting this character and the backlash it might create for him as an actor….
@Hubba hubba: Yup goin 7-8 years now I believe. Surprised he hasnt popped the question.

He’s just trying to be nice. Who would want to be part of that crapfest?

Charlie fan @ 06/02/2014 at 7:17 pm

@Fresh: I know his father had died, and he went back to England for awhile after finishing SOA. This was right before 50 Shades was due to start filming. He never mentioned that publicly.

Charlie is a classy actor and great guy.
A lot of opportunities will appear

Sounds like he regrets it. Well to bad you’re too ugly to play Christian and you dropped out knowing that.

I'm sure you ARE fat @ 06/02/2014 at 7:31 pm

@fatty: I’m sure you’re alot uglier than he is.

This guy is Christian Grey, what a shame he dropped out.

the only reason for me to watch that crappy movie was him ( only to see him naked I recognize it jajaa) i never understood why he pick that role, and i was glad when he drop it.

ps: he looks so hot as jax

Emily Rose @ 06/02/2014 at 11:07 pm

I read that There was A petition going around about Not wanting him to Play Christian Grey. That would have been A huge Ego Breaker. He should have just done it and showed them that he would have succeeded. He would have been amazing. “Orphaned Boy becomes the Richest, Sexiest Man ever!!!” He fits. I’m disappointed he backed out. I won’t be watching the movie. I read the trilogy placing him as Christain. :( if the pit ion had anything to do with this division, shame on you who,started it and those of you who signed the petition. You made A Big Mistake.

@Hubba hubba: Yes, his girlfriend was sitting with him when he got his award just a day before. He hugged her first then went to Guillermo del Toro. She seemed really happy for him.
@Emily Rose: That petition was just plain stupid, only the press was making a big deal with it. They couldn’t even got a lot of people to sign it. Charlie’s name was never hurt by it, in fact, he’s got a lot of new fans from it.
And it was actually creativity difference he’s got with the director. 2 well known screen writers were hired right after he left, the problem was with the script. I don’t think he ever regret to drop out, Charlie is just, you know, he always says nice things to people.

Look at all the swagger!! My boy is looking dapper as always… xoxoxo

@hubba hubba- I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already married. His notoriously private when it comes to his girlfriend.

@Holly: I heard that during the filming, the author completely disrupted everything and interfered with the filming. She was way too domineering, and wouldn’t let the director do her job.

I’m more interested in what his take on the character was. Maybe that’s the real reason, he knew more about or learned more about the condition and James et al want total fantasy? As in total fantasy.

He was the most perfect Christian Grey ever!

Love Charlie, he’s a good actor. Can’t wait until SOA returns for It’s final season.

He dropped out because of the petition, some stupid people wanted Matt Bloomer (or whatever his name) and Alexis Bledel…So they dropped him to cast someone looking similar to Matt and Alexis…Shame, I think he would’ve done great job, looking all dangerous and SteveMcqueensh…

WHEN REALITY STRIKES @ 06/03/2014 at 11:59 am

AMERICA doesn’t give a flying shitstir about this alien POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEDIAWATCH @ 06/03/2014 at 12:13 pm

WTF is this britshit ***** doing within America??!!??

@I’m sure you ARE fat: Nope! Nice try though =D

Oh and by the way I’m one of the people that signed that petition too! And believe me there were tons of people that wanted him out. Too bad too he let it get to him, shows how strong he is as an actor. Also to add to the author being dominant on set, if it’s her book being directed by a grown woman who had relations with a barely legal teen on one of her sets before, i would take control too. The director ruined a biopic that could have won many awards if she wasn’t on set being a horny teenage girl. What makes you think she wouldn’t ruin this movie that has millions of fans worldwide with an already ruined casting, upsetting E.L’s fans.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All