Joan Rivers' Daughter Melissa Rivers Releases Statement After Her Mother's Death

Joan Rivers sadly passed away earlier today (September 4) and her daughter Melissa just released a statement regarding her death.

“It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers,Melissa said (via People). “She passed peacefully at 1:17pm surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother. Cooper and I have found ourselves humbled by the outpouring of love, support, and prayers we have received from around the world. They have been heard and appreciated.”

“My mother’s greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon,” Melissa added.

Our thoughts go out to Joan‘s family and loved ones during this difficult time.

• Heidi Montag congratulates Lauren Conrad on her wedding - US Weekly
  • August Alsina collapses during a performance- TMZ
  • Sharon Osbourne blasts U2 for their free album- Gossip Cop
  • Luke Perry has joined the cast of CSI: Cyber- Entertainment Weekly
  • Martha Stewart slams Gwyneth Paltrow- Huffington Post
  • Read a review of Keira Knightley's new film Laggies- Lainey Gossip
  • Jerry Seinfeld honors Joan Rivers at an award show- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Cora Keegan shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

Definitely hard to laugh right now. I looked forward to Fashion Police every week. So sad to see this legendary comedian go. RIP Joan

RIP. You were mean. Many people laughed, even though we knew it was wrong to laugh at your cruel jokes. You were a pioneer for women comics. RIP. Fashion Police will not be the same.

mcwitch11 @ 09/04/2014 at 3:31 pm

Awwww my sympathies to her family and friends. A true pioneer, an honest lady, and always made me laugh RIP

offtheproperty @ 09/04/2014 at 3:38 pm

It’s hard to believe.
I’ve loved Joan Rivers since the first time I saw her on Johnny Carson in 1967.
What a great lady.
What a great American.
In this time of the twilight of freedom of speech in America, Joan Rivers will really be missed.
God bless you Melissa.
You’re a great daughter.

I feel just terrible about this.

I still don’t understand how she went from having minor throat surgery to dying. Anyway rest in peace Joan! One less funny person in the world again

Sudden cardiac arrest @ 09/04/2014 at 3:54 pm

Hear it comes not talking about how she died but her early career ruining all the fashion week and film festivals talking about how we remember Joanie on Johnny Carson On the red carpet with Melissa. Blah blah blah ,

[~Fug Face Man!ston~] @ 09/04/2014 at 3:57 pm

And the daughter’s already talking. She’s always been so desperate for attention, watch her milk this.
@Quinn: “Throat surgery”… sureeee..
I don’t wish death on many people but for the life of me I dont feel any type of sadness.

sad. tears in my eyes. I watch fashion police and I watched it last week and she was bright and funny as ever.

@Sudden cardiac arrest: I saw your other stupid post, going on and on about how she should “recover” in a cardiac unit. You really are a loser troll (and an idiot) who needs to get a life.

I wish everyone had the chance to meet the REAL Joan Rivers. not the one you see on tv. the one who in real life is warm, welcoming, humble, sweet, and down-to-earth. If the world knew that woman, they’d love her even more.

Oohhh.... @ 09/04/2014 at 4:12 pm

@[~Fug Face Man!ston~]: It’s funny….we really don’t care how you feel. Get over yourself.

Joan was the best female comedian hands down. A true legend.

It was predicted @ 09/04/2014 at 4:37 pm

Guess that’s what happens to ya when you call the president gay and the first lady a tranny. Induced cardiac arrest from 100 feet away is indeed possible and has been used many times,

@It was predicted: They will make your heart stop too for saying that.

I feel for Melissa. It’s horrible to lose a mother. I miss mine every day.

Sharon Parker @ 09/04/2014 at 6:45 pm

My first time watching Joan Rivers was while watching the old Ed Sullivan Show as a child. I am 11 yrs. older than Melissa. My birthday is January 19th, the day before Melissa’s. I remember one of Ed’s shows featuring Joan while pregnant with Melissa. Melissa, Cooper and other family members, please know that I offer my utmost sincere condolences to all of you. I didn’t watch Fashion Police but did watch your Joan & Melissa Rivers Reality Show. Just remember…love is eternal. It will never cease. Your mom has just transformed to another state of being/consciousness. Blessed Be To All…

thank you joan for the good years of watching you on tv when I was young and you made me laught and cry with you and going through the ups and downs were fun and I injoyed just seeing you and growing up with you in my life was a honor and a privledge you have shown me so mutch and taught me how to give back to the word in so many ways I have learned how to be giving to others and to watch others faces light up thank you joan rip

Mrs.Winstein @ 09/05/2014 at 5:13 pm

I had the displeasure of meeting her at the Ritz hotel, a complete racist loud mouth, not funny at all. It’s amazing that some people think if their wealthy that the money will give them class and intelligence. She was living proof that that isn’t true at all. Class comes from within, how you view and respect others, all the money in the World wouldn’t have made her classy in a million years. Hopefully her daughter turns out to be a better human being. Robin Williams was funny, Joan was just plan cruel. I hope God has mercy on her.

Joshua Roth @ 09/05/2014 at 5:37 pm

Met her in London at the airport, she called me “A false Jew”, because I didn’t laugh at one of her racist Arab jokes…..lol. RIP you crazy *****.

tracetheace @ 09/05/2014 at 6:30 pm

Crude, yes. Vulgar, yes. Funny, extremely.. She helped path the way for Americans to laugh at themselves. The rest of the world appreciated that. But Phyllis Diller was still the first lady to do so. R. I P. Joan.