Katherine Heigl Adopts Special Needs Baby From Korea

Katherine Heigl Adopts Special Needs Baby From Korea

Katherine Heigl talks all about her decision to adopt in a sit-down interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, airing on Friday (September 11). Here’s what the 30-year-old Grey’s Anatomy actress shared about 10-month-old baby Naleigh (a mix of her mom and sister’s names, Nancy and Leigh):

On Naleigh, who was born in Korea: “She was actually born the day before me in November which I thought was really serendipitous and just kind of like a sign. I realized just recently that I basically forfeited my birthday for the rest of my life.”

On how she got to adopt so quickly: “She is a special needs baby and because of that it all moved so much faster. They wanted to get her to us as quickly as possible.”

On her decision to adopt this way: “It’s been a big part of my life and my family. My sister is Korean and my parents adopted her back in the 70s and so I just always knew that this is something I wanted to do.”

On her husband, musician Josh Kelley: “I just wanted to make sure that I was marrying a guy who understands that this was going to have to happen. So about a year ago is when we said, ‘OK, let’s start the process,’ and the process is intense. It’s different but it isn’t, do you know what I mean? It’s just as intense I’m sure to have a baby biologically because you’re going through the whole physical sort of thing of it.”

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

Congrats to the happy family :-)!

Realme2008 @ 09/10/2009 at 11:58 am

That’s really great that she is adopting!

Every time I try to like she says *hit like this though: “I realized just recently that I basically forfeited my birthday for the rest of my life.”

What is so wrong about her saying, “I realized just recently that I basically forfeited my birthday for the rest of my life.”? Its basically true. Most mothers put their childs birthday more in center ring when their child has a birthday on or near their own. My sister’s son was born the day before her birthday. Sure, they still celebrate her birthday, but their son’s is more elaborate and gets more attention; and that is exactly how they want it.

Congratulations to the family!

Kate bosselin @ 09/10/2009 at 12:10 pm

In other words…. she adopted a baby with special needs for nannies to raise?

Realme2008 @ 09/10/2009 at 12:13 pm

Because she’s actually not forfeiting her birthday for the rest of her life. She could celebrate in advance or however she chooses. It’s fairly simple. She just seems to make statements that are about her… Katherine Heigl.

Hello SHE is being interviewed, so of course her statements are going to be abuther.

I understand what she means, my hubby and I got married the day before his birthday and we do more centered around our anniversary than his actual birthday, we also have a son that was born two days before Christmas and he kinda gets gyped when it comes to having his special day on his day because of the Christmas rush, etc.

I also have to say how wonderful she is adopting and especially extra special because she is adopting a special needs child. Congrats! Nice way for her to honor her adopted sister

((((((((( Katherine )))))))))

We got ourselves an interesting discussion here. Anyway, this is wonderful news. Congrats to them! :)

-meream

heigl is a bitchhhhh @ 09/10/2009 at 12:35 pm

sHE IS AN ARROGANT KNOW IT ALL AND SHE HAD TO SAY SHE FORFEITED HER BIRTHDAY. IT’S JUST TYPICAL OF THIS PAIN IN THE ASSSS NARCISSIST! NOBODY LIKES HER IN THE BUSINESS – INSIDE KNOWLEDGE.

A lot of people in the business LOVE Katherine because she isn’t phony.

That is really great. I’ve always got the Bitchy vibe from her but she’s obviously a woman with a great big heart.

Way to go, Katherine, I have great respect for you.

the real lou @ 09/10/2009 at 12:54 pm

I wish Katherine and Josh the best.I commend ANYONE who gives a child that would be left in an orphanage a loving home.Who cares if they chose to adopt aboard,they do have that choice.Can’t wait to see the baby.Katherine seems to have her head on straight and appears to know what she wants out of life at the age of 30.Good for her.In a age when most of the actresses in HW in there 30′s and 40′s can’t seem to bothered with Motherhood.Katherine’s career is at a all time high right now,yet she is still taking the time to create a family.

diva behavior @ 09/10/2009 at 1:06 pm

She is type that can always find something unappealing about a good situation. Just her being honest about things? Yes, but this nit-picking can make her look like a diva or someone ungrateful, unappreciative and self-centered.

Raising a child means sacrifice. To do it well, you are going to give up much much more than birthdays Katherine. Are you ready for it or are you going to complain about it all the way through?

my apologies @ 09/10/2009 at 1:09 pm

I always she was really bitchy and self centered also but she obviously just proved me wrong.

My apologies to her. That’s a really awesome thing to do whether the nanny takes care of it or not.

my apologies @ 09/10/2009 at 1:11 pm

* I always thought she was really bitchy *

Oops

Wow! I’ve reached new respect for this couple. Adopting a child is admirable but adopting a child with more admirable. Her commend about forfeiting her b-day is that from now on her life will be revolved around her child not her. Read between the lines, people!!

I meant adopting a child new special needs is more admirable.

Okay, from now on I will give her the benefit of the doubt. I always DISLIKED Katherine, but this tells me so much more about her. Sure she can “ass-talk” to quote Lainey, but basically her heart is in the right place. She loves dogs (I don’t) and adopts a special need baby (I can’t say I would). Sorry for judging you Katherine. I obviously don’t know you and shouldn’t have. Congratulations on your daughter.

I think she means that from now on it’s her daughter’s birthday that will take centrestage and she basically won’t bemaking much of a fuss about her.

diva behavior @ 09/10/2009 at 1:06 pm

I think she will learn to make all the sacrifices we all have to make as mothers. I didn’t know the extend of the sacrifices I would have to make when I became a mother, but I learned and adapted. I think she will do the same. Jolie, Richie (Nicole) Klum all Hollywood types I wouldn’t have expected to take to motherhood are doing marvelously. She will too.

Kudos to her for adopting! And kudos to anyone who adopts from Angelina and Brad, to Tom and Nicole, to Hugh and Deborah! Or is it Debra!

Manhunter @ 09/10/2009 at 1:42 pm

I think this is horrible news.

We don’t need more retards in Hollywood.

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All