Why Are British Celebs Donning Red Flower Pins?

Why Are British Celebs Donning Red Flower Pins?

They’re on the red carpets and worn by stars like Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint. So what exactly are those red pins?

Turns out they’re red poppies and not necessarily the latest fashion accessory!

Instead, it’s tradition to wear the pins to commemorate Remembrance Day (or Veterans Day as it’s known in the United States) in Britain, Canada, Australia, and other countries with ties to Queen Elizabeth.

Check out other celebs like Cheryl Cole, Ben Barnes, and J.K. Rowling proudly wearing the pins!

celebs red poppies 01
celebs red poppies 02
celebs red poppies 03
celebs red poppies 04
celebs red poppies 05

• Johnny Galecki and Kelli Garner have decided to split- US Weekly
  • Check out a new poster for Jane the Virgin- Just Jared Jr
  • Read some of Helen Mirren's most inspirational quotes- Huffington Post
  • How much is Katie Holmes' new home in Calabasas?- Lainey Gossip
  • Kristin Cavallari shows off her body in a very tight dress- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: « 1 2 [3] Show All

OMG! I really can’t believe this is even on here, how ignorant, I swear Americans live in their own little bubble. I love this time of year in the UK it makes me feel incredibly proud of my nation and of all the soliders who have given their lives for our country. May they Rest in Peace.
And also “Hell Naw”….F*** off and die! That is all

duh…know your history folks.

and the whole “i don’t know why americans don’t do it” thing is silly too. it’s not a tradition here. big whoop.

wow Americans are so narrow minded and dunce! I mean are you serious having to explain a poppie? Some people just need to educate themselves on other countries and cultures outside of the U.S. …So sad!

Jokergurl @ 11/14/2010 at 1:01 am

I saw Daniel Ratcliff, Colin Farrell had them on when they were on Graham Norton, but why didn’t Rihanna? Maybe her dress (poppy red) was a statement enough. Anyway I always look for people selling these poppies on Veterans Day, what ticked me off this year is I couldn’t find any! I always support the veterans of foreign wars, they make great sacrifices.

I never gave a thought to “wearing poppies properly” (luckily I’ve ALWAYS worn mine on the left side), & if there’s an offensive way of doing it, I’ve never heard of it.
I’ve seen people on the streets wear them on the right side without complaints from others; others wear 2 or 3. I know of people wearing them ONLY on the 11th.; while others wear them for the whole month of November & still others wear them ALL YEAR ROUND claiming: “One day out of the year to remember the fallen should not be the gratitude shown for the sacrifices made by our troops (regardless of country, which war, etc.) then, now & in the future.”
Sounds good to me.

I’m absolutely shocked. How bloodly ignorant can Americans get? If this shows the intelligence of today’s Americans then God help us all. It’s just downright disrespectful that Americans do not know of a simple British tradition which has been around for almost a century. And as for ‘latest fashion accessory’ well what can I say, you’ve just said it all. Maybe more cultral and more informative history lessons for today’s generation in the US, let’s not have them all follow your lead Jared. I actually cringed reading this. Happy learning America!

Did this post really happen? You Americans shock me everyday.

julie gardner @ 11/15/2010 at 12:30 pm

I actually cannot believe that this has even been written, let alone published, I’m disgusted actually and I never comment on things. You’re really helping with the fact that Americans are viewed as inward looking and ignorant when you can’t even think what Remembrance Day is. Perhaps if you focused less on utterly irrelevent celebrity rubbish, you might have a bit more integrity and respect.

I don’t understand why it is such a big deal to some of you that this tradition isn’t well known in the US. It is not traditionaly a part of Veteran’s day here. Does every one in the UK know every single tradition from all other countries? When I studied in France a lot of people had no idea why I always tried to get the day off and call home on the last Thursday in November.

WOW!
The comments on here are so harsh! Maybe because these are all internet postings people feel that they can be jerks. What’s embarrasing and ignorant is not that some Americans (not all) do not know the significance of the poppy – it’s all of the hateful comments that were posted.
It reactions like the ones on these following pages are what keep people from asking questions and learn more about the world around them. I would rather have someone ask me what is the significance of July 4th, than have them walk around with the wrong information in their heads.
Let’s all try to be kinder to one another.

I also wanted to add and clarify, the wearing of the red poppy on Veterans Day is common in the United States, its use may be more prominent in certain regions of the U.S. Americans also commonly wear a yellow ribbon pin on Veterans Day.
The United States has a population of over 300 million people, from diverse ethnic, racial, cultural, and religious backgrounds. Each region of the U.S. has it’s own distinct culture, so many “American” holidays and traditions are not celebrated the same way throughout the country.

I can’t believe this even needed to be explained…

hahaha silly americans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! learn something about other countries for once would you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is life outside of the USA

British Latin American @ 11/16/2010 at 9:58 am

@Jenn79: You make some valid points in your posts, especially about the insulting comments, but you are also trying to excuse American ignorance. Remembrance Day is a national holiday and should be celebrated all over the U.S., and all Americans should be aware of the reasons why.

Maybe you misread my post, but I cleary stated that Americans do wear the poppy pins and we know what it means and we do celebrate Veteran’s day. To assume that all Americans are unaware of the meaning of the poppy pin or assume that we don’t wear it, just because Jared published that post is what’s truly ignorant. It’s also ignorant to assume that everyone would know the meaning of the red poppy. Not everyone who reads this post is European or from English speaking countries, where the use of the poppy is common.

If everyone who has read that post and commented – and Jared, would have done a little research on Veteran’s Day in the U.S., than you would have learnt that the poppy pin is used in the states.

British Latin American @ 11/17/2010 at 10:23 am

I did not misread your post; I know what you said. The way you were talking about different regions of vast America seemed like an excuse for American ignorance. And I never said all Americans were ignorant, just too many!

Americans are so unaware of the rest of the world..
like get out of your little bubble.

bloody utterly bloody hell @ 11/28/2010 at 11:59 pm

What I find insulting and provencial are the banal repetitions of the same “Stupid, bloody Americans in their little bubbles” comments. Really, coming from those that are assuming their intelligence and world wide awarenss is so far superior to that of an average American, I would presume that another argument could be made….and with less triteness.

Not trying to make a justification, but the “British” poppy is quite different from the American version. In America the Veterans Administration Volunteers hand out a frilly crepe paper poppy with a bright white or yellow embellished center. This is easily recognizable….yes, even by the most average and culturally naive American as the Memorial Day Poppy. The British version is very different, and therefore not recognized straight away as “The” poppy.

But, what actually instigated my response here was the “bloody, utter” (as it appears you are all wont to say…..ad nauseum) irony of your whole attack on Americans. It seems as though you all fancy yourselves to be American experts because you’ve had “classes” in primary school and have been exposed to our bloody tourists.

The reality of the situation is this. I am from the most reviled state in our country….Arkansas. And therefore, would likely be assumed by those eschewing Americans, to be the very dregs of the barrel. But before I went to Mexico I learned Spanish fluently. Before I went to Italy, I learned Italian fluently. And when I started becoming friends with a man from Israel, I did fastidious research into his customs to avoid inadvertantly offending him.

And before anyone takes the low road here, no….I am NOT the exception to the American rule. In fact, most of the people I know make concerted efforts to educate themselves on others, and to learn other cultures and histories.

The irony is that I’m assuming NONE of you posting here have actually BEEN to America….therefore, your assumptions, assertions, and attacks on we “Utterly Bloody Ignorant Americans” is based on….what? Oh. That’s right…..non-empirical evidence. In a word, you’re guilty of what you accuse us of being. Ignorant and judgemental.

Have fun at the Pudding Race.

bloody utterly bloody hell @ 11/29/2010 at 12:08 am

oh…@Chriss…

Did you really attempt to present yourself as intelligent AND use “like” as a pause word? YOU sound like a “stupid American”…or at least your assumption of what one would sound like.

“Like, get out of your bubble..”

Really? Reeeeeaaaaaly? If anything calls true wit or reason into question, it is the use of the word “Like” as anything than a precursor to a simile, or in reference to enjoying something.

Guys…really? It’s not a tradition here in America to wear poppies, so how would we know? Well actually I knew what they were, and I bet a lot of others do too, but some just don’t. Deal with it. Some of us are different and don’t want to be “aware of the outside world” because some people are just not like that. We’re humans, right? I don’t know why they don’t, because I’m pretty fascinated by all different cultures, but hey, gotta live with it. You don’t have to be so rude about it. We have our traditions and you guys have yours…can we just all get along?! lol, Chill.

Grad Student @ 11/08/2011 at 12:09 pm

@Aileen:
Actually until I read this post I didn’t know what the red flower pins meant either. I think the Brits in this forum are more self-centered than the Americans and assume everyone should know about their customs. In fact, each side only knows what they see in the media so I think it’s great that we (in America) are asking about this and we want to know.

By the way, Americans don’t wear these pins – we wear the flag – but I saw Boris Berezovsky wearing one and that is why I was interested.

Just because something is commonplace in the British Commonwealth countries, does not mean that it is commonplace in other countries. I think it is very rude of the people on here to label all Americans as ignorant because they don’t know the traditions of a country they do not live in. While it would be wonderful if every American had the opportunity to travel abroad, most people cannot afford that. Unlike the European countries where you can quickly and easily travel between countries, America does not have that luxury. That being said, my parents are immigrants to the U.S. and I did know that Remembrance Day coincides with the U.S. Veteran’s day and that the British use poppies to honor that day.

jealous brits still obsessing over americans

the british are like the ugly girl at school talking **** about the pretty americans who don’t even notice they exist.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] Show All